Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sway Grunt posted:

That's definitely not intended. There's a sticky thread on the Steam forum about this issue, might help:

Yeah, this fix has worked for several games for me, I think it's a GameMaker engine issue? Entering and exiting full screen mode a couple times fixes it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sway Grunt posted:

That's definitely not intended. There's a sticky thread on the Steam forum about this issue, might help:

Changing to the beta build fixed it, thank you!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Samopsa posted:

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1453029406528577538?s=20

Darkest Dungeon 2 Early Access is out on the epic store. You can sign up for a newsletter (and directly cancel it) for a 10 bucks off coupon if you want to grab it.

Thanks for the heads up on the newsletter coupon! I was going to pick it up regardless, so I will definitely take ten bucks off.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

From the last big patch they did this month

"but seeing as this will be one of our last updates before v1.0"

So I guess pretty close. Feels awfully flesged out to me

gently caress yeah

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That is good to hear about RL2, I've managed to basically forget that game exists since it got announced so I'm glad to hear this doesn't appear to be an indefinite EA period.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does Rogue Legacy 2 do anything to change the formula or is it the same game but more so?
Because honestly Rogue Legacy 1 was kind of poo poo.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
How do i suck less at Enter the Gungeon

I have 20+ hours and can still only barely scrape by to chamber 2. Made it to 3 twice

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

Does Rogue Legacy 2 do anything to change the formula or is it the same game but more so?

I thought RL1 was fine but it's been a long loving time and there's been a looot of these games since then. I'm also hoping they keep it feeling fresh somehow, I remember some early complaints out of the early access period were that it didn't feel like enough's been done to make it like a new game but I don't know how true that was/is because I haven't tried it myself yet.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i havent played it enough to give a detailed post on it, and im very bad at megaman games, but 30XX has some of the most goregous loving art in it ive ever seen

the first game (20XX) was very fun (i was also brutally poo poo at it) but had so-so kinda cartoony art. the sprite art in this one though is really something special. every level has full parallax backgrounds and its just really warm and a pleasure to look at. some of the fonts in some of the menus are kinda lovely but its still early access.

it also has a pretty unique thing i havent seen before, which is just specifically tuneable difficulty. there's a menu that lets you crank up specific multipliers (ie enemy health, level length, item costs, traps damage) in exchange for currency multipliers. i havent messed iwth it because the default game is hard enough but it is neat.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i havent played it enough to give a detailed post on it, and im very bad at megaman games, but 30XX has some of the most goregous loving art in it ive ever seen

the first game (20XX) was very fun (i was also brutally poo poo at it) but had so-so kinda cartoony art. the sprite art in this one though is really something special. every level has full parallax backgrounds and its just really warm and a pleasure to look at. some of the fonts in some of the menus are kinda lovely but its still early access.

it also has a pretty unique thing i havent seen before, which is just specifically tuneable difficulty. there's a menu that lets you crank up specific multipliers (ie enemy health, level length, item costs, traps damage) in exchange for currency multipliers. i havent messed iwth it because the default game is hard enough but it is neat.

I always grouped 20xx and the robot one you covered together because I got them around the same time and they both worked on a procedurally generated take on classic SNES titles, MegaMan X and Super Metroid.

I liked the gameplay of 20xx but compared to the SNES game, it had no soul at all. Though it does have coop which is pretty fun. Curious how good 30xx will be!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

A Strange Aeon posted:

I always grouped 20xx and the robot one you covered together because I got them around the same time and they both worked on a procedurally generated take on classic SNES titles, MegaMan X and Super Metroid.

I liked the gameplay of 20xx but compared to the SNES game, it had no soul at all. Though it does have coop which is pretty fun. Curious how good 30xx will be!

i definitely much prefer A Robot Named Fight to 20XX. 20XX feels a lot like... looser than ARNF in terms of the level generation. i've never played an actual megaman game so i'm not sure how true to megaman that is, but to me ARNF was just a lot more professionally put together, even when it was brand new.

30XX is beautiful but it's also a very unfinished game from what I've played. some of the jumps it puts together you have to be absolutely pixel perfect to hit, which can be frustrating.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any Qud tips for a Qud newbie about to Qud for their first time?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

explosivo posted:

You can buy witchwood bark from Elder Irudad (or the village apothacary, if you start in a random village). It's dirt cheap and instantly heals you for about 20-30 hp with a chance to confuse, so having some on hand makes the early game a lot more forgiving.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

explosivo posted:

There's not a lot of stuff in the game that can catch you if you decide to book it. Keep an escape path clear and don't be too afraid to be cowardly.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any examples of a fairly traditional roguelike (turn based, overhead view, combat happens in same exploration map / non-modal) that had large (4+) controllable player parties with independent movement? So summons/pets like Mystery Dungeon style don't count

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

explosivo posted:

search around the last 20 or so pages of the qud thread, there are always new players looking for advice and there's a ton of it to be found there

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any examples of a fairly traditional roguelike (turn based, overhead view, combat happens in same exploration map / non-modal) that had large (4+) controllable player parties with independent movement? So summons/pets like Mystery Dungeon style don't count

Shiren the Wanderer 3 (the wii one, released in the US as just “Shiren the Wanderer”) is built around having a party of 1-3 adventurers. There’s ai settings you can mess with to automate them during the rote bits, but at any time you can switch who you’re controlling or take full control of all three. I think Etrian Mystery Dungeon does something similar as well.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

FuzzySlippers posted:

There was the Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon, where you had a party of four. I don't remember exactly how movement worked in that one, but I think in combat you controlled all four individually.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Jack Trades posted:

:colbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It was pretty hugely important for the genre that it was released and got as popular as it did, but yeah it's a pretty terrible game.

Dredmor Syndrome.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

The Most Extreme Example, though sadly the main site has been down for a fair bit---though it might yet live in the giant misc RL archive that cropped up on Reddit awhile back and updates in broad chunks from time to time. Hope endures eternal that dev livens back up on it again, somehow, in the future yet to come.

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php/Labyrinths_and_Legends

One of the most incredible lineages in all of Roguelikes---want to say say the adventure for it first began on the Sharp X68000~

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

Shiren the Wanderer 3 (the wii one, released in the US as just “Shiren the Wanderer”) is built around having a party of 1-3 adventurers. There’s ai settings you can mess with to automate them during the rote bits, but at any time you can switch who you’re controlling or take full control of all three. I think Etrian Mystery Dungeon does something similar as well.

Mithross posted:

There was the Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon, where you had a party of four. I don't remember exactly how movement worked in that one, but I think in combat you controlled all four individually.

As far as I can tell on youtube these all do the conga line controls where your party members don't move individually. They can take independent actions but always move as a group. That could just be how these people are playing though.

I was thinking more like a full tactical rpg (Xcom, Goldbox, Darksun, etc). Steam Marines does this but it takes place in narrow spaces as far as I remember so the issues of exploring with a group doesn't come up.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

FuzzySlippers posted:

As far as I can tell on youtube these all do the conga line controls where your party members don't move individually. They can take independent actions but always move as a group. That could just be how these people are playing though.

I was thinking more like a full tactical rpg (Xcom, Goldbox, Darksun, etc). Steam Marines does this but it takes place in narrow spaces as far as I remember so the issues of exploring with a group doesn't come up.

They can move separately in those games (there are AI settings to automatically explore separately, and of course while controlling them you can move wherever you want), but using full manual control all the time slows the game down tremendously since you need to take each step with each character. I don't know that there's really a workaround to that if you're looking for traditional roguelike play where 1 step = 1 turn.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A Rookie's Tale may scratch enough of the itch then on one front:

http://xcomrl.blogspot.com/p/files.html

Something like Zorbus and Demon on the concentrated front. Dungeon Monkey Eternal and/or Gearhead Caramel on other fronts.

Javelin if you are going a bit crazy

https://javelinrl.wordpress.com/

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

It definitely iterated a good amount on the RL1 formula, but I'd say if you didn't like the original game I'm not sure the new one does enough to change anything. The core game play loop is the same, and a lot of the mechanics and movement are very similar to the first game.

I will say the new character classes are great and do a lot to make the game unique. The new patch definitely helped here as well since the skill criticals really incentivize knowing how the classes work. Also they added new attacks to all the enemies so it's not as samey running into the same enemies room after room.

I definitely had a ton of fun with it between the last two patches, and it feels like it's just missing a final boss and some end game optional content before it's "finished", so if you're interested it's worth trying now. But if you hate grinding stats and didn't like how the first game played I'm not sure this will change your mind

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
rogue legacy the first was a reasonably fun platformer but I will go to my grave saying that it is not a roguelike/lite.
your character keeps basically all of their stats you leveled up(via the manor) regardless of you dying and bosses stay dead forever after you kill them once. that's not permadeath. you don't get set back to square one, not even close.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Looking more into it, you can have full control over your party in EMD, but it's a skill that you can't have on all the time. You conga line around exploring then when poo poo hits the fan you take over the party.

Maybe look into the digital boardgame space? Gloomhaven just hit release and it might be closer to what you're after. I'm not sure how much randomization there is though, I haven't dug into it yet.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Samopsa posted:

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1453029406528577538?s=20

Darkest Dungeon 2 Early Access is out on the epic store. You can sign up for a newsletter (and directly cancel it) for a 10 bucks off coupon if you want to grab it.

Very curious to see what impressions people wind up with. I was only able to play a little bit today -- still not sure how I feel about the new structure, and while the relationship system is an interesting wrinkle it currently feels way too at the mercy of RNG whether your guys cheer each other on or get pissed at each other. Combat looks amazing though -- the little bits of animation and the effects are fantastic and add up to one of the most visually exciting turn based systems I've ever seen.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

Snake Maze posted:

This is also essentially what the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are: literally part of the Shiren the Wanderer franchise where you capture pokemon then do roguelike dungeons with a party of 4 pokemon which are swappable/controllable. I can't remember if it gives you the ability to control all four every turn or not though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thanks for those suggestions I'll have to dig through them. Man some of those are digging deep Labyrinths and Legends seems to barely exist online for having such a history.

I've been playing around with some ideas in my head and was curious what had been tried. Conga line exploration, leaving conga when in combat, and then reform conga when out of combat is probably a good solution. Knights of the Chalice basically does that (as did some of the old Ultimas I think).

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I like Tangledeep's loosely wandering followers but they do get a bit hung up on level geometry at unfortunate times

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Thanks for those suggestions I'll have to dig through them. Man some of those are digging deep Labyrinths and Legends seems to barely exist online for having such a history.

I've been playing around with some ideas in my head and was curious what had been tried. Conga line exploration, leaving conga when in combat, and then reform conga when out of combat is probably a good solution. Knights of the Chalice basically does that (as did some of the old Ultimas I think).

I didn't recommend them as they aren't roguelikes, but ultima 6, 7: black gate, martian dreams, savage empire, and 7:serpent isle are all that style. The games that involve controlling a small team completely independently tend to be smaller scale than traditional roguelikes/RPGS. Invisible Inc might scratch your itch as being a roguelike a style similar to XCOM.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's nice to see that Darkest Dungeons 2 fixed one of the big issues I had with the combat, the fact that it was optimal to stall combat to fill up health bars, by making healing skills only work at low hp and also be limited use.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Darkest Dungeons 2 owns but it definitely needs a lot of tuning.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I usually play and recommend a lot of Early Access games, but for Darkest Dungeon 1 I actually discouraged people from picking it up before it was finished, as the limited content during EA made it really easy to burn out on it (since the game can be pretty grindy). If DD2 is the same way, I actually recommend waiting.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Re: rift wizard - the lightning wizard build is great fun, death shock is a revelation of a spell, as is lightning form, thanks guys.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

goferchan posted:

Very curious to see what impressions people wind up with. I was only able to play a little bit today -- still not sure how I feel about the new structure, and while the relationship system is an interesting wrinkle it currently feels way too at the mercy of RNG whether your guys cheer each other on or get pissed at each other. Combat looks amazing though -- the little bits of animation and the effects are fantastic and add up to one of the most visually exciting turn based systems I've ever seen.

I like the new setup because it removes the grind from the Hamlet. Relationships and Stress seem pretty snowbally, though. Keep Stress low and your toons will bond, giving you bonus (Healing, more damage, follow up attacks, free buffs...) every other round. Let Stress rise and everyone gets angry at each other, increasing Stress even more and basically dooming your run.

Visually, it's impressive, specially animations and enemy design. The sound design is also pretty good, and makes each hit feel like it hurts, just like being chewed by an eldritch abomination should. Red Hook knows the game game has to be cohesive in it's mood, and everything is laser focused on that.

Characters are "complete" out of the box, but unlocking new skills feels like progress in a way the Hamlet didn't. Not sure about not having your entire roster available from the start, but maybe being limited to a Tank, Damage Dealer, Jack of All Trades and Heal/Utility Bot is a good idea.

I understand why the wagon feels so unresponsive, because it's a freaking wagon, but hiding goodies in obstacles that force you to zigzag to pick them up is gamey and makes no sense. Actually, they could automate movement, just add some random finds on the road and let me click on destinations when I'm at a crossroad, or before a road combat so I can prepare, and I'd be happier.

Day 1 impressions, EA, etc...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The wagon minigame kinda just feels like a gimmick tbh, not really sure it adds to the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wagon minigame needs mouse controls badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I tried out Into the Pit on Game Pass. Unlike some people earlier in the thread, I absolutely love the aesthetic. I think the use of PS1-style pixelated 3D combined with modern lighting and special effects looks fantastic. It's retro 3D done right, in my opinion. One of the better-looking retro 3D games made. And it seems very well optimized too despite the modern graphical features present, which I appreciate.

The game, though, is not really making me want to come back for more. The weapons are all too simple and samey with very little variation granted by the upgrades you collect. And the pacing is just off. For every 30 seconds you spend in combat, there's a minute thirty spent out of combat where you're collecting all the currency in every level, breaking the things you need to break to advance, selecting upgrades, choosing the next area, etc. In Hades this is a much more streamlined process. In this game it feels much more jarring and disproportionate. And that's not even counting the time you spend in the hub area. Not that there's much to do since nobody ever has anything interesting to say.

I think it's a fantastic looking game that isn't very fun to play.