Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ethiser posted:

F91 is the Gundam with the plagiarized music.

F91 has obvious soundalikes to two well known pieces of music from The Empire Strikes Back. 0083 literally uses tracks from Quest for Fire and IIRC some Chuck Norris movie.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0067 - Colony Drop

I don't think you need a white flag if you're flying a Zaku. Also hey maybe we shouldn't just interview her in front of high command like this?

Lol Katz immediately in trouble for looking at Sarah. Not sure why but I'm not liking CYBER NEWTYPES. It rubs me the wrong way whenever I hear it.

drat, captain of the ship shut down by Emma in a flash. Glad even she comments on it. They... they have fortune-telling gizmos at tables now? The future got rid of the cookies?! BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Katz: "I'm not on Earth anymore so I don't need to listen to orders!" annnnnnnd Katz is immediately tricked into being a big idiot.

"Just don't die, you'd make everyone unhappy. Especially me, the person who secretly wants to marry you and have your kids. Was that awkward? Well, good luck in your fight!"

Was really hoping for a musical melody after Kamille says "Here we go".

Cool

Wow Katz has been betrayed for the first time, apparently.

WAIT! SO THE SIDE STILL IMPACTS?! Just... Just not Granada/Von Braun City directly?! How... how does this not cause a ton of issues?

Also Katz shut the gently caress up "Is it wrong to trust others" maybe not blindly in a battle with the enemy you colossal dingus.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0068 - The Ghost Of Zeon

Alright, just gonna try to predict that Yazan Sting dies this episode. Oh... now Sting's just trying to usurp power directly, alright.

Uhh..... UHHHHHHHH..... STING?! WHY?!

EPISODE 68 IS NOT NICE. IT. IS. NOT. NICE.

Why is Katz such an rear end in a top hat? Like, at least Amuro and Kamille are like... successful when they do this? Except maybe once each?

Oh no, Kamille has the space madness! Bright is very slow on the uptake.

Kill the boy, spill his blood. Kill the boy, spill his blood!

Oh man please tell me SOMEONE has spliced Katz spinning out into the battleship with the Super Star Destroyer death scene...

KATZ HOW DO YOU AIM AWAY FROM THE GUY YOU LEPT AT?!

I'm now hoping that Kamille slices through Yazan AND his partner at the same time, somehow. Oh good job Katz just leave Emma alone to die. (He doesn't know if she's fine)

Kamille just force grabbed his lightsaber. Sweet.

Oh my YES let Yazan kill the bridge. I instantly love Sting. Amazing that a ship would just not shoot the enemy but I'll accept the payoff.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0069 - Rendezvous with Char

Why do people call the spat between Kamille and Fa a "hobby"?

Lol Jerid gets owned again. Katz you haven't cared about anything other than the enemy pilot, give it a rest.

Yeah this system of orbital launch is a lot cooler than SpaceX.

Ok they are getting intense with they're super-heavy lorge guns. Bright emulates Yoda.

How do you prevent the Zeta from moving, Jerid? Easy, grab him!

Oh gently caress.... uh..... the kids aren't still on the shuttle, yeah?! :(

Oppolee doesn't get a kiss? Kamille's such a tease. Oh good the kids are alive.

Awwwww this ending's too cute :(

(Gotta say, Yazan's VA is on point though)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Uhh..... UHHHHHHHH..... STING?! WHY?!

EPISODE 68 IS NOT NICE. IT. IS. NOT. NICE.

:laffo: I feel bad I forgot about this pivotal moment in Yazan’s character.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He played metal gear solid 3 and wanted to be like Volgin

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jobbo_Fett posted:

WAIT! SO THE SIDE STILL IMPACTS?! Just... Just not Granada/Von Braun City directly?! How... how does this not cause a ton of issues?

It crashed into an uninhabited part of the Moon if I recall. The Moon doesn't have tectonic plates or an atmosphere for the damage to radiate out to and disrupt areas further away from the crash site either; there are a few cities on the Moon in UC, but not a huge amount so far as we know and they're pretty spread out. So the impact probably didn't actually cause any notable damage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm excited for Dune to continue but I do hope this doesn't mean Timothee Chalamet will be too busy to play Char in the live action Gundam movie

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

fartknocker posted:

:laffo: I feel bad I forgot about this pivotal moment in Yazan’s character.

The bit that makes it amazing is how Yazan is offended the dude isn't at least at half mast over the fact they're about to go into combat.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Gripweed posted:

I'm excited for Dune to continue but I do hope this doesn't mean Timothee Chalamet will be too busy to play Char in the live action Gundam movie

Ugh no, he'd be a terrible Char. Make him Garma instead.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gripweed posted:

I see you've seen that reddit live action gundam fancast gallery but you must know there is only one man who can play live action char

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

#0069 - Rendezvous with Char

Why do people call the spat between Kamille and Fa a "hobby"?

In the subs they say "recreation" which makes more sense in terms of the crew rolling their eyes and minding their business when it comes to the teenage lovers' quarrels. tbh the rest of the crew talking about them gives us some of my fav lines in the show

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ainda_ posted:

In the subs they say "recreation" which makes more sense in terms of the crew rolling their eyes and minding their business when it comes to the teenage lovers' quarrels. tbh the rest of the crew talking about them gives us some of my fav lines in the show

I think "a hobby" still gets across the basic intent, even if it's a bit more awkward. It's basically saying that, for Fa and Kamille, getting into fights is a way to pass the time, even if neither of them consciously thinks of it that way.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Chalamet would make a good ino he lacks the spine to be kamille

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Philip Seymour Hoffman as Degwin

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The reddit fancast has Anthony Seymour Hopkins as Degwin just because of their similar headshape but I say Werner Herzog or bust

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think both could work. You want an older actor who can bring a certain level of gravitas and resignation to the role. I'd personally go with Anthony Hopkins, but you do you.

Black horse pick but I think. Jon Hamm could be a great CCA era char. He's got the charisma, the experience living a double life, and the understated patheticness.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If this had happened back in the 80's or 90's you just know they would have tried to get Arnold Schwarzenegger for Dozle

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The United States posted:

The reddit fancast has Anthony Seymour Hopkins as Degwin just because of their similar headshape but I say Werner Herzog or bust

Cast the entire Zabis as German-speaking Hollywood actors. Werner Herzog as Degwin. Schwarzenegger as Dozle. Daniel Brühl as Gihren.

I'm not actually sure who you'd cast as Kycilia or Garma.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 27, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Greta Garbo would've been a great Kycillia. And Sweden is practically German

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I think "a hobby" still gets across the basic intent, even if it's a bit more awkward. It's basically saying that, for Fa and Kamille, getting into fights is a way to pass the time, even if neither of them consciously thinks of it that way.

They semi-consciously do - by the second half of the show, their bickering is largely performative, and at one point, Kamille goes 'hey, let's drop this and have some real talk for a second'.

In other news, old man Yoshiyuki is now officially a living national treasure, which I bet he has some fun opinions about :

https://twitter.com/cacophanus/status/1453259020765171720?s=21

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Patrick Stewart and Christopher Eccleston for Degwin and Gihren respectively, imo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Patrick Stewart is too dignified and handsome for Degwin. He's a big sad pudding of a dictator.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Tatiana Maslany as the entire White Base crew.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

If this had happened back in the 80's or 90's you just know they would have tried to get Arnold Schwarzenegger for Dozle

unironically this

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Ugh no, he'd be a terrible Char. Make him Garma instead.

It would be good meta casting, because the audience would be all primed to like him and think he's cool. Especially if(assuming the new movies are reasonably faithful to the show story) they beefed up Garma's role and had Chalamet and Garma's actor doing pre-release publicity stuff together.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

It would be good meta casting, because the audience would be all primed to like him and think he's cool. Especially if(assuming the new movies are reasonably faithful to the show story) they beefed up Garma's role and had Chalamet and Garma's actor doing pre-release publicity stuff together.

It sounds like terrible meta-casting, because the franchise already has a fairly prevalent problem with people only seeing Char as cool based on superficial qualities, without considering all the terrible poo poo he's done.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tsob posted:

It sounds like terrible meta-casting, because the franchise already has a fairly prevalent problem with people only seeing Char as cool based on superficial qualities, without considering all the terrible poo poo he's done.

I see no reason not to continue that franchise hallmark into the new adaptations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

Not our fault people don't engage with the work, either textually or metatexutally. :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

Not our fault people don't engage with the work, either textually or metatexutally. :colbert:

It's not any viewers fault, but it's arguably the creators fault for making him too superficially cool in various ways so that people people have less reason to examine Char as a character. Or, perhaps more problematically, have less reason to care when they do examine him or when people point those things out; as in "sure, he did x, but x doesn't matter because y is just so interesting/cool/good for another group and that's more important".

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
Char is a swaggering murderous aristocrat; this is a series where robots with legs fight with laser swords and have shields and kabutos. It is completely in line with the entire aesthetic experience to think Char is really cool and that him being a war criminal and psychic vortex of suffering for almost everyone he knows personally is not that big a deal. This isn't a thematic dissonance, it's a core part of Gundam. Might as well criticize Táin Bó Cúailnge for Cu Chulainn being too much of an unrepentant killer.

ainda_ fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 27, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ainda_ posted:

Char is a swaggering murderous aristocrat; this is a series where robots with legs fight with laser swords and have shields and kabutos. It is completely in line with the entire aesthetic experience to think Char is really cool and that him being a war criminal and psychic vortex of suffering for almost everyone he knows personally is not that big a deal. This isn't a thematic dissonance, it's a core part of Gundam. Might as well criticize Táin Bó Cúailnge for Cu Chulainn being too much of an unrepentant killer.

Not a reference I'd have expected, but putting aside the whole "consider it in context of when it was created" argument, people already do criticize all mythical heroes, including Cu Chulainn for being too bloodthirsty and murderous in general, and a lot of modern adaptations try to update those heroes with contemporary values for that reason.

Your argument is basically "it's just a cartoon bro, you're not supposed to think about it". Which is silly, given Tomino's entire drive was to make a work that wasn't just mindless action and forgettable narrative.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Personally I would like char less if he wasn't cool and didn't kill people

I hope char adaptations and future char clones continue to be damaged, psychotic individuals that are superficially cool and appealing because that is both more thematically relevant and also more fun to watch

I do not think anyone should particularly care that not everyone recognizes char as a bad person or whatever. That isn't a moral failing on the part of the writers nor do I think it makes the story lesser, and I don't understand why it would

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 27, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

It's not any viewers fault, but it's arguably the creators fault for making him too superficially cool in various ways so that people people have less reason to examine Char as a character. Or, perhaps more problematically, have less reason to care when they do examine him or when people point those things out; as in "sure, he did x, but x doesn't matter because y is just so interesting/cool/good for another group and that's more important".

I still don't think you can assign blame to the content creator here. Having a mindblowingly charismatic and cool person also be a dangerous villain is something that happens IRL as well. If people can't make the distinction--or worse are unwilling to make the distinction--that says a LOT more about the viewer than the content creator.

Char is Narcissistic Populist 101, and if people are failing this course, we should really be examining why those people are failing to go "wait a minute, this guy is the baddie!" Because these are the people who'd unironically vote for Char and be surprised when he fucks them over.

ainda_ posted:

In one line, I'm looking at the level of Char idolatry as a litmus test for whether this person can be trusted to notice and avoid Char-like individuals in real life. I should probably mention that I'm talking about viewers not characters. The characters missing the red flags (:haw:) is the point, much like the horror movie cast splitting up.

tsob posted:

Your argument is basically "it's just a cartoon bro, you're not supposed to think about it". Which is silly, given Tomino's entire drive was to make a work that wasn't just mindless action and forgettable narrative.

And, just to add to this: telling this to anyone in a Gundam thread--let alone other media discussion on the Something Awful Comedy Forums--isn't likely to get a very positive response.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If people want to identify with and idolize char "my underaged girlfriend could have also been my mom" aznable, then that's on them imo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hell if people want to watch a cool guy in a red suit headshot fascist leaders with a bazooka and don't get anything more out of the character besides "that's sick as hell" I think I'm fine with that too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

Hell if people want to watch a cool guy in a red suit headshot fascist leaders with a bazooka and don't get anything more out of the character besides "that's sick as hell" I think I'm fine with that too

Yeah even if people accept that Char is only superficially cool and really a deeply broken person inside, that mean's he's still superficially cool. He did some cool stuff, he had cool robots, he said cool things.

You can acknowledge the complexity of Char and the fact that he's cool at the same time.

Warmachine posted:

In one line, I'm looking at the level of Char idolatry as a litmus test for whether this person can be trusted to notice and avoid Char-like individuals in real life. I should probably mention that I'm talking about viewers not characters. The characters missing the red flags (:haw:) is the point, much like the horror movie cast splitting up.

That seems pretty unfair to me. Char is a fictional character, and the viewers know that.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Char rules and is cool

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Char is real. And he's my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Char is real. And he's my friend.