Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Read After Burning posted:

Between The Good Life and the Friends of Mineral Town port, I've got a lot of life-simming to do over the holidays. :unsmith:

Let me know what you think of those. I’ve been in the mood for that sort of thing lately. Maybe it’s time I start and stick with Stardew Valley. It’s such a nice game but I’ve mostly watched ladykilo play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think Sony is just flexing on Microsoft.

"you have no exclusvies and everything even close you can play on PC and isn't that great anyway. Check these games out!"

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

thiccabod posted:

PES was rebranded as "efootball" for 2022 and had a free version with just 9 teams. I haven't tried it myself but a quick googling saw mention of playing offline against AI or a friend so it might include local co-op. Could be worth it to try out

Ah nice one. I bought the 2021 version - my first PES in a while - and found it pretty excellent. I've been in the Pro Evo camp since the PS2 days, though it did cede a lot of ground to FIFA during the PS3 era. The 2021 version (think it's called Season Update or something weird like that) felt like a modern version of the awesome old PS2 games, so I love it. But if my staff (those who play football games) all prefer FIFA and would have more fun with it then I don't want to force PES on them. Good to know about the free version though - may give it a look.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

"you have no exclusvies and everything even close you can play on PC and isn't that great anyway. Check these games out!"

yeah for sure dude xD

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm gonna mention Xbox in a Playstation thread once for every time you post this console warrior crap

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

why would they spend millions to "flex on Microsoft"?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the wasteland 3 dlc worth it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Ah nice one. I bought the 2021 version - my first PES in a while - and found it pretty excellent. I've been in the Pro Evo camp since the PS2 days, though it did cede a lot of ground to FIFA during the PS3 era. The 2021 version (think it's called Season Update or something weird like that) felt like a modern version of the awesome old PS2 games, so I love it. But if my staff (those who play football games) all prefer FIFA and would have more fun with it then I don't want to force PES on them. Good to know about the free version though - may give it a look.

eFootball's release was also a historically shambolic disaster so maybe give it a few months

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Akuma posted:

why would they spend millions to "flex on Microsoft"?

They spend millions to hopefully make more millions. Flexing is just the excuse.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Where's the sarcasm font?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

like this

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ha ha I spent the day doing the first Gauntlet in Sekiro. It’s 3 bosses in a row without dying. Let t took me a lotta tries, but I did it! I was super excited, until I saw the second gauntlet is like 10 bosses including SSI without dying.

LoL

lmao

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Kilometers Davis posted:

Let me know what you think of those. I’ve been in the mood for that sort of thing lately. Maybe it’s time I start and stick with Stardew Valley. It’s such a nice game but I’ve mostly watched ladykilo play it.

Will do! A goon in the Switch thread did a write up of Good Life that intrigued me, I can find that for you if you'd like. I'll be grabbing it next week. Do keep in mind that there's a murder mystery element, if you don't want that kinda content in your life sim.

As for Friends of Mineral Town, it'll be great as long as they didn't gently caress the port up. I've played it a bit on the Switch already.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Inspector Hound posted:

I got someone's spare VR headset a while ago and it's just sort of sat on my shelf. Lately I've been playing around with it, and it's pretty sweet if you have a setup where you can easily just put it away and move the camera without too much hassle. Movies are cast onto a huge screen that fills your view while a giant thing sits on your head, VR games are immersive to the point of being disorienting, in a good way, while a giant thing sits on your head, honestly once you get used to the thing on your head and finding your controller without looking it's very cool. Hard to scratch your nose while it's all happening. I drive a Civic, and they have the new Type-R Civic in Gran Turismo so that was obviously the first order of business. I liked looking around at all the buttons I recognized on the dashboard. You can check your blind spots and mirrors, even look over your shoulder. For bonus immersion, imagine the giant thing on your head is your cool pro racing helmet.

The first thing I tried with my PSVR was Gran Turismo. I picked the Miata so I could see how high I could stick my head up before the display blacked out (reasonably high, all things considered).

Inspector Hound posted:

and looking down at yourself wearing a fire suit but feeling the controller in your hands is bizarre. The TV will also display the same thing as your headset, so everyone can watch. It's probably personal preference whether it improves normal games or not, the screen it presents you with is pretty big. I managed to get a kill in Battlefield, but it's good there's an option to make the virtual screen smaller.

My PS4 also came with the Logitech wheel but all I had to clamp it to was my cat tower, which made for a rather disorienting experience with the shifter. I sold the wheel because I've never been into racing games (and don't really have room in my apartment for the setup) but if at least one of those factors was a bit different I'd have definitely kept it, made for a really cool experience.

I did buy a HOTAS controller for SW:Squadrons but never really got the hang of it - never used one before so figuring out where the myriad buttons are mapped to required being able to see the labels on the controller, which I couldn't do with the VR set on... just trying to flounder through the missions until I learned wasn't very successful/fun either. I have been meaning to play a few hours on the TV to set the muscle memory up then switch to VR, but haven't gotten around to it.

It's a little disorienting flying the TIE because you're looking at your hands on a control yoke rather than a stick and throttle, but the X-Wing feels right at home. Being able to turn your head to look out the side of the cockpit and see your s-foils lock into attack position at the start of an Alliance mission is a very :krad: moment.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Stay away from eFootball 2022. Konami apologized because it released an unfinished f2p product that was barely working. Everything about it (gameplay, graphics, sound) is terrible. If you have eFootball PES 2021 you're fine and you can patch it to the current season. Funnily enough, FIFA 22 seems to be the best in years and you can just get an old PES (from 2014 to 2021) 2nd hand for really cheap and just patch it. If you don't care about updated rosters, for co-op or versus, FIFA 14 and 16 are generally considered the peak of the generation and are cheap enough.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bust Rodd posted:

Ha ha I spent the day doing the first Gauntlet in Sekiro. It’s 3 bosses in a row without dying. Let t took me a lotta tries, but I did it! I was super excited, until I saw the second gauntlet is like 10 bosses including SSI without dying.

LoL

lmao

There’s a fight with a remixed, harder SSI too. :getin:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ethics_Gradient posted:

It's a little disorienting flying the TIE because you're looking at your hands on a control yoke rather than a stick and throttle, but the X-Wing feels right at home. Being able to turn your head to look out the side of the cockpit and see your s-foils lock into attack position at the start of an Alliance mission is a very :krad: moment.

Dammit, reinstalling

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not as cool as the old Battlefront VR mission because there you had an interactive button that did that and you pressed it yourself in response to someone saying the line

I believe that's the only time in my life I have genuinely squee-ed

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

HELL YES.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1453470035985436676

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAVakaioxRY

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 27, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Yeesssssss pumped for more bugs and/or snax.

Though, after seeing the end of the game, seeing the characters with a lot of snaxxed-up limbs sort of has me on edge now. Weird.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oooooh cool!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Grabbed Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, because I'm a willing victim of Ubisoft and there's some free stuff coming/available as they try to hype up whatever their next game is. It's got the giant map and stop and go action of Wildlands, Far Cry's blunt cultural insensitivity and The Division 2's general overcomplication when it comes to leveling up and completing objectives, it really has everything.

For real though, if you like Wildlands you should grab this. It's ridiculously customizable, from your character, to your team, to the specifics of the difficulty (easy or tough enemies? How dark do you want it at night? Should the guns have levels and stats, or do you just want 'guns?' Ammo pool, or drop the rest of the mag on reload?) and seems like it will be fun once I get the hang of it.

NOTE: The "gold edition" is $20 on the PS store, but the normal version is $60, so check and make sure you're not cheating yourself.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Grabbed Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, because I'm a willing victim of Ubisoft and there's some free stuff coming/available as they try to hype up whatever their next game is. It's got the giant map and stop and go action of Wildlands, Far Cry's blunt cultural insensitivity and The Division 2's general overcomplication when it comes to leveling up and completing objectives, it really has everything.

For real though, if you like Wildlands you should grab this. It's ridiculously customizable, from your character, to your team, to the specifics of the difficulty (easy or tough enemies? How dark do you want it at night? Should the guns have levels and stats, or do you just want 'guns?' Ammo pool, or drop the rest of the mag on reload?) and seems like it will be fun once I get the hang of it.

NOTE: The "gold edition" is $20 on the PS store, but the normal version is $60, so check and make sure you're not cheating yourself.

Seconding this: I picked up Breakpoint during last year's lockdown and it already had the "Ghost Recon Experience" update fixing a ton of stuff and adding full gameplay customization from pure looter shooter arcade to full survival sim. They kept patching, fixing and adding free content, missions and weapons to it. Right now is vastly superior to Wildlands and the "only" downside is that it needs to be always online (no PS+ needed) just to start the game but otherwise is a super fun open world murder simulator. For 20 bucks is an easy recommendation both solo and co-op (seriously, play this co-op with simulation difficulty setting).

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Oooooh cool!

Morpheus posted:

Yeesssssss pumped for more bugs and/or snax.

Though, after seeing the end of the game, seeing the characters with a lot of snaxxed-up limbs sort of has me on edge now. Weird.

Yeah, I'm curious how the DLC will handle it if you've beaten the game. Will there be a flashback? I beat the game when it first came out, so I don't mind re-playing it, but...

I am so stupidly excited to decorate my hut. :kiddo: And it's free!

Edit 2.0: Ah, on the PS Blog:

quote:

If you’re a returning player, you can start playing the Isle of BIGsnax by loading your completed save, which will put you back into Snaxburg before the point of no return. For new players, this content will show up organically as you play.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 28, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Re: Breakpoint, biggest disappointment so far, besides how bad I have clearly become at video games, is that I couldn't pull my custom operator from Wildlands, had to make a new one.

vv I think so? It said the wait for PvP was a minute and a half, but the hub area was also full of players, so idk vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 28, 2021

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Seconding this: I picked up Breakpoint during last year's lockdown and it already had the "Ghost Recon Experience" update fixing a ton of stuff and adding full gameplay customization from pure looter shooter arcade to full survival sim. They kept patching, fixing and adding free content, missions and weapons to it. Right now is vastly superior to Wildlands and the "only" downside is that it needs to be always online (no PS+ needed) just to start the game but otherwise is a super fun open world murder simulator. For 20 bucks is an easy recommendation both solo and co-op (seriously, play this co-op with simulation difficulty setting).
Do people still play it online? Seems right up my alley but I'd be bummed if I bought it and nobody played.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

Do people still play it online? Seems right up my alley but I'd be bummed if I bought it and nobody played.

You can still use AI operators that you can fully customize but there are always people on the HUB and the last time I played (about two weeks) I could just join a random to help him with a few missions.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I use both my macbook air and ps4 (original, not pro) with my 1080p monitor. If I get a 4k monitor, is the ps4 display going to look weird? I assume the monitor will try to "upscale" or whatever it's called.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Should be fine, 1080p integer scales to 4K so there shouldn’t be any weird pixel doubling or anything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It'll look a little softer than native 4K but unless you're sitting very close or the monitor is very lovely you'll quickly stop noticing unless you specifically look for it

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It's never going to look as good as native res 1080p but it's not going to look bad or weird, you'll just notice the difference

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cool thanks, I was thinking about this one, I have a viewsonic right now and it's pretty nice for doing both tasks

https://www.newegg.com/viewsonic-vx2776-4k-mhd-27-uhd/p/N82E16824116131?Item=N82E16824116131&quicklink=true

current monitor is https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824116781

is there a big difference between 2ms and 4ms for refresh rate?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat, just snagged the room vr for 12 bucks before tax.

That was the whole reason I got a psvr to begin with. Maybe now I'll hook the damned thing up and play.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I just got a $30ish 3rd party controller to replace one that had bad drift, but it's having some problems. When I try to turn on the PS4 with that controller, it just flashes white and doesn't do anything. If I turn the PS4 on manually it'll connect and I can use it, but there's no vibration even though that's a feature of that particular model. The settings screen for that controller will say the vibration is turned on, even though controller isn't shaking at all. Is there a fix for both?

The same thing's happening on a completely fresh new Sony PS4 controller. Is there a setting I messed up on the console or in the game?

e: I reinitialized the console after uploading to cloud, and now there's rumble but it's pretty weak in combat

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 1, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

You can set how hard you want the controller to vibrate in the settings menu, you might fiddle with that

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cross posting from the Xbox thread...

Akuma posted:

Hello friends, Call of Duty Vanguard is out now and I have a team at Lab42 that worked very, very hard on the campaign so I hope the small handful of people that still buy those games here and play the campaigns enjoy it!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haven't landed on whether or not I will buy Vanguard right away mostly due to timing, but I can assure you I'll crush the campaign when I get around to it. Always found it weird that so many COD players don't bother with the campaigns. I can't imagine bothering with multiplayer before kicking back and playing the campaign first.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Haven't landed on whether or not I will buy Vanguard right away mostly due to timing, but I can assure you I'll crush the campaign when I get around to it. Always found it weird that so many COD players don't bother with the campaigns. I can't imagine bothering with multiplayer before kicking back and playing the campaign first.

I basically only play the campaigns and the split-screen multiplayer with my brothers. Love the campaigns tbh, they always have massive production values

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It was our entire job for a long rear end time to keep the campaign running at 60fps on the lovely old consoles because yeah, production value is pretty high and those creaky old boxes ain't what they used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Was there any cool tricks you had to use this time around to get them running smootly that you hadn't done before?