Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Doesn't having the toadstool in the original game mean that you don't have any magic dust, and as a result, don't have any way to damage the respective bosses? In that sense, it feels like an intended thing to make it so you don't get stuck in a dungeon. Sure you could just quit out and go make more dust, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I come bearing a warning. I’ve seen a lot of promos/reviews for Eastward calling it part Zelda and part Earthbound, but in my opinion it’s hardly either and I would not recommend it. I’m sure there are better Zelda-likes out there.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

superjew posted:

I come bearing a warning. I’ve seen a lot of promos/reviews for Eastward calling it part Zelda and part Earthbound, but in my opinion it’s hardly either and I would not recommend it. I’m sure there are better Zelda-likes out there.

Oof yeah I got sucked into the hype

I quit the game after the first 8 hours or so

8 hours that had about 3 hours of gameplay in it

Hope you enjoy pressing A a lot to read endless reams of the blandest character dialogue from characters you couldn’t give two fucks about even after hours and hours of “character development”

Sometimes the game is nice and lets you walk a bit before another 15-30 minute cutscene begins

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I was looking for something to play before the AoC DLC drops on Friday. Glad I skipped Eastward.

I would apply all of what you two said to the game Iconoclasts as well, but that's a Metroidvania with waaaaay too much story.

edit: I'm just gonna play LBW again instead. :getin:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

iconoclasts is fun

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Couldn't get into it. Way too much dialogue and cutscenes imo

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

does eastbound have interesting gameplay between its cutscenes? if not then it doesn't even hold up to iconoclasts imo

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Couldn't get into it. Way too much dialogue and cutscenes imo
Was good dialogue though

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

b_d posted:

does eastbound have interesting gameplay between its cutscenes? if not then it doesn't even hold up to iconoclasts imo

Nothing really interesting, minor puzzle solving and character switching. Nothing feels like an accomplishment despite the game forcing the “you did it!” jingle after any gameplay that lasts more than a few screens.It’s telling that the 8-bit RPG that your character can play is way more fun and engaging than the main gameplay.

On the positive side, I will recommend Moonlighter. It's a fun roguelike that's much more like a 2D Zelda than Eastward and there's a very sweet nod to Zelda in the beginning ("It's not safe to go alone, take this").

superjew fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 25, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Eastward up until the beginning of Chapter 6 is one of my favorite games ever.

Eastward after the beginning of Chapter 6 is...not that great.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Still can’t play Age of Calamity online, right?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eastward up until the beginning of Chapter 6 is one of my favorite games ever.

You enjoyed the 2 hours of cutscenes sprinkled with minimum gameplay during the “cook a meal for the mob boss” segment in the dam city?

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

superjew posted:

the Eastward skepticism is good to know but a bummer, the art looks fantastic and I'm a sucker for anything that channels Earthbound or Zelda

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

take boat posted:

the Eastward skepticism is good to know but a bummer, the art looks fantastic and I'm a sucker for anything that channels Earthbound or Zelda

Oh the art is incredibly good. It just doesn't deliver in being a fun game, unless you like visual novels where you occasionally get to hit things with a frypan I guess

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

You enjoyed the 2 hours of cutscenes sprinkled with minimum gameplay during the “cook a meal for the mob boss” segment in the dam city?

I did yeah. If anything I would've liked it more if it hadn't had all the dungeon stuff. In my opinion the game doesn't really get awful until the monkey train.

But I can understand being disappointed with it if you're into Zelda type games. I'm a big fan of JRPGs, like Persona is a favorite of mine, so I'm absolutely fine with "45 minutes of cutscene." Zelda does have cutscenes that can go on for a few minutes, like the Deku Tree telling Link about the history of Hyrule, or the Lanayru spirit telling Link about the history of the Twili, but that's like five minutes at best, maybe ten if you're a slow reader, nothing on Persona's level or even Final Fantasy's.

So yeah, like I get why people wouldn't like it, but me, I love that stuff.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hedrigall posted:

Oh the art is incredibly good. It just doesn't deliver in being a fun game, unless you like visual novels where you occasionally get to hit things with a frypan I guess

Ugh god you just reminded me of Radiant Historia. I've never been so bored by an alleged "game" before.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

What... no... it's good...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

Ugh god you just reminded me of Radiant Historia. I've never been so bored by an alleged "game" before.

:hmmwrong:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

unless you like visual novels where you occasionally get to hit things with a frypan I guess
you say this like it would be strange to like visual novels where occasionally you get to hit things with a pan

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Why should I have to bother reading a visual novel when I can hit things with a real frying pan

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

The game is just so odd. "Whee go ahead and hit things with your frying pan, isn't this fun? Anyway here's a gun."

There's a lot of work put into it visually, it's not like it's unpolished, it just is what it is. I think it could be fun for a younger player who likes reading or something. But then I don't see how this is more fun than just, say, watching Adventure Time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The second wave DLC for AoC is downloaded and awaiting release date, according to my Switch. It annoys me that I can't play it now.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

superjew posted:

The game is just so odd. "Whee go ahead and hit things with your frying pan, isn't this fun? Anyway here's a gun."

Conker's Bad Fur Day?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Alxprit posted:

What... no... it's good...

Oh god no don't you gaslight me it was the most tedious thing in creation. No room for creativity in solving any problems; the makers want you to bellydance your way over the frontier so you will by god bellydance and like it. Can I kill these idiot loving bandits to get them out of the way and work out a way to fix that later when I inevitably need them for something else? Of course I can't everything must be done as scripted press those buttons and get on with it. Ugh.

Didn't help my temper that I really didn't enjoy the fighting mechanic either (and was crap at it).

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's not gaslighting, it's my opinion. It's a jRPG, why would the existence of time travel mechanics mean it has to be really open-ended? I didn't have any expectations for something like that going in and I enjoyed the story quite a bit, overall. And the battle mechanics were very unique and interesting, to me.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Alxprit posted:

It's not gaslighting, it's my opinion.

this kind of post is lowkey abusive tbqh.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

Oh god no don't you gaslight me it was the most tedious thing in creation. No room for creativity in solving any problems; the makers want you to bellydance your way over the frontier so you will by god bellydance and like it. Can I kill these idiot loving bandits to get them out of the way and work out a way to fix that later when I inevitably need them for something else? Of course I can't everything must be done as scripted press those buttons and get on with it. Ugh.

Didn't help my temper that I really didn't enjoy the fighting mechanic either (and was crap at it).

its a good game

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Regy Rusty posted:

its a good game

no it isn't

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
ok

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
There are very few games that don't force the player into some kind of compromise in an "unfair" situation.

BotW has going for it an environment where you can make a lot of things happen weirdly, and it encourages people to try to break it.

Also it's a fun game, I don't know what the problem is.

And yeah, the fighting mechanic is hard initially. As a not very good player I can easily watch a bunch of youtubes of people kicking rear end in surprising ways and be all morbid that I can't always reflect a guardian beam.

I was just playing rear end Creed and trying to remember to follow the instructions and parry. Works good. There's a whole fighting tutorial build in to BotW, pretty much like every Zelda. Make of it what you will.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

b_d posted:

I... what? All I was is disappointed to see someone not liking a game that I liked... I'm not the best at social stuff, so you'll have to please be more specific because it is extremely the farthest from my intent to be abusive, and if I'm missing something here I want to know what it is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

b_d posted:

?????????????

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i was kidding

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Please don't joke about that kind of thing. In my past I've unknowingly made people feel bad about things in a way that could be construed as what you said and that phrasing made my brain tell me that despite all my efforts to become a better person I haven't, actually, and I'm just an irredeemable monster. Even though I'm relieved that you said that, I'm still hurting.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you stand accused of opinion crimes
the punishment is…death!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

b_d posted:

Weird as poo poo post you got here

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

b_d posted:

i was kidding

Unless you were high I sentence you to online death

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Probably best to reload an earlier save at this point

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

some touchy ppl itt geez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

sorry Alxprit. i did not think people would take my post seriously. i'll be more mindful of calling people or posts abusive in the future.