Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Marvel Dice Throne is live and the last two are Strange and Loki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

For some reason I feel the art on Marvel Dice Throne is a bit lackluster.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It will never not be hilarious that a company with the Marvel license is using Kickstarter

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

It will never not be hilarious that a company with the Marvel license is using Kickstarter
Oh yeah this is 100% a pre-order. No stretch goals, just a pre-order driving excitement and gauging response.

I'm digging the art, personally - and the hero design looks really neat.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Beast looks phenomenal but I really don't know if I can justify it. Currently waiting on Frosthaven, Guards of Atlantis 2, John Company 2nd ed, and Stationfall. For me that's a lot. I only realistically get one night of gaming a week and the pandemic has left me with a lot of stuff I already own that i still need to play.

2nd child due in Jan. All that stuff is going to arrive and just sit on the shelf isn't it...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Beast looks absolutely great, but it's also the type of game that I'd want people with actual experience playing to report on, since the design of the game needs to be tight or else it'll all fall apart. Asymmetrical games are by default notoriously difficult to balance, so if the balance between the beasts and hunters isn't just right, the game won't work. I'm not necessarily doubting the design, but it's a tough sell without people talking about how well balanced the game is or if it just doesn't work on a fundamental mechanical level (which I suppose is true for all games, but asymmetric games are sorta exacerbated by this).

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

No experience with Dice Throne, but I am a sucker for Marvel. Is the game actually any good? Is there any strategic depth to it or is it lolz dice chucking?

The art looks okay, like a stylized Saturday morning cartoon rather than premiere comic book art. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. Character selection is a really MCU boring safe save for the bold choice of Miles. Little tired of MCU dominating rev1 of any modern Marvel game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

iceyman posted:

No experience with Dice Throne, but I am a sucker for Marvel. Is the game actually any good? Is there any strategic depth to it or is it lolz dice chucking?

The art looks okay, like a stylized Saturday morning cartoon rather than premiere comic book art. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. Character selection is a really MCU boring safe save for the bold choice of Miles. Little tired of MCU dominating rev1 of any modern Marvel game.

It's a card dueler with King of Tokyo still dice mechanics. Roll dice, power abilities, semi-asymmetric design. It's cute if not well balanced or super deep (these might both be better after a few editions).

The art is good though.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

is MDT compatible with Dice Throne Adventures? Could be cool to have marvel characters in a dungeon crawl.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

iceyman posted:

My kids and I have a fantastic time with it. It's a duel game mostly - but works well with 3 and 4 players. The mechanics are... Battle Yahtzee, basically? You have cards that can manipulate dice, a resource you need to play cards, and a board full of abilities to activate from your dice. There's a good deal of luck (I mean, there's 'dice' right there in the name), but there's some decent strategy to it, too. Each hero plays a slightly different game and there's different approaches depending on your opponents. Understanding basic probability is a big help, too.

It's certainly meaty enough to engage me and hold my own interest. And it's simple enough to play with my boys (11 and 10). It's basically our go-to board game.

Fate Accomplice posted:

is MDT compatible with Dice Throne Adventures? Could be cool to have marvel characters in a dungeon crawl.
Yeah, it's fully mechanically compatible. There may or may not be standees as part of this; they are being coy about that and can't outright advertise for DTA. Thor is getting a metal mjolnir token which could work for him in DTA in a pinch - and I would not be surprised to see similar stuff for the others before the campaign is over.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 25, 2021

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

There shouldn't be any reason why not. (No standees, but apart from that.) It appears to be fully compatible with other Dice Throne sets, which = compatible with DTA. But it seems like the licensing deal means they're not allowed to talk about stuff like that. (Similarly, I assume it's why you can't order previous DT stuff on this KS.)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Launching a little Kickstarter on Monday.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandypuggames/a-night-at-the-tavern

Night At The Tavern is a social adventure module set over 4 hours in a small tavern that's about to be completely destroyed. Lots of plotlines and relationships and fun stuff for player to get stuck into, printed on these big, heavy stock trifold pamphlets. We're also reprinting TEN MILLION HP PLANET, if you missed that last go around, it's a TTRPG about killing a planet with over the top anime bullshit.

This is 100% to pay for the printing of the thing, and I'm only gonna run it for a week or so.
Here's a preview of the first hour:

This is live now! We already have 20 community copies on top of the 20 I started off with, so even if you're broke you can get a physical copy too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

malkav11 posted:

There shouldn't be any reason why not. (No standees, but apart from that.) It appears to be fully compatible with other Dice Throne sets, which = compatible with DTA. But it seems like the licensing deal means they're not allowed to talk about stuff like that. (Similarly, I assume it's why you can't order previous DT stuff on this KS.)
LOL, maybe I’ll just use the chibi Marvel figures I have from Marvel United as the minis.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is live now! We already have 20 community copies on top of the 20 I started off with, so even if you're broke you can get a physical copy too.

Is there a way to pickup just the 10MHPP reprint? I don't want to eat up one of the $1 slots that someone else could really use.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Is there a way to pickup just the 10MHPP reprint? I don't want to eat up one of the $1 slots that someone else could really use.

Lemme get around to adding a $1 Follow Along tier, but if I don't get around to it, we're adding way, way more of the community copies than anyone is picking up, so don't feel bad about grabbing one really.

Edit: Added a TEN MILLION HP PLANET reprint tier!

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 26, 2021

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/FreeLeaguePub/status/1452987125016580113

Well, I'm sold!

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Oh man, and I'm just waiting on Vast Grimm for my sci Fi Mork Borg fix. Wonder if I need both?

(Who am I kidding, it's a project by Johan Nohr. I'm absolutely backing it)

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
[Imagine the same tweet from FreeLeague about CY_BORG here as in the two posts above]

Is it gonna be a better structured and usable book for play or will it be an artbook pretending to be an rpg like the Mörk Borg core game book was?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Lemme get around to adding a $1 Follow Along tier, but if I don't get around to it, we're adding way, way more of the community copies than anyone is picking up, so don't feel bad about grabbing one really.

Edit: Added a TEN MILLION HP PLANET reprint tier!

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

So unbelievably mad my bank doesn't allow payments outside the US now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bumper Stickup posted:

So unbelievably mad my bank doesn't allow payments outside the US now.
Get a not poo poo bank

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Round up!

Goon Projects
A Night At The Tavern - by Nemesis of Moles. An RPG adventure in a Tavern that is 100% totally not going to blow up by the end of the night

The Big poo poo
Marvel Dice Throne - Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, get on up it's Dice Throne time. Roxley Games are A++ for quality, price, and turn-around time.
Resident Evil: The Board Game - Campaign based dungeon crawler with a trillion minis and all the addons are minis and you will never paint these
Skulls of Sedlec Expansion Collection - Goons seem to love Button Shy wallet games. This is their latest offering.

Worth Your Time
Damnation: The Gothic Game - Going for a Darkest Dungeon aesthetic. Hunt and be hunted! If you die come back as a ghost and beat up other players with Dracula. Dope AF artwork, potential sleeper pick of this week.
Power Plants - Hive, sorta, but with Plants. Cool tokens and slick art.
Hanamikoji: Geisha's Road - A 1v1 game about tableau building and outwitting your opponent on your journey to become Geisha's.
Exquisite Crime - Check this out if you're a Mystery In A Box fan
MonDRAWsity: Unusual Suspects - Drawful, but Monster themed. Collab with SUSD
Kinghill - Worker placement with dueling cards in a 1v1 fantasy setting. Click if you like Elves/Dwarves as a vibe.
Kitchen Kingdom: Lords of the Culinarium - Fulfil orders of fussy customers in a card combo dueller. Smidge light on the presentation, but a cool concept.

Meh
Clash of the Yokai - Not sure how much 'game' is here, but there is some very very cool art if you're into Japanese folklore.
Catapult Castle - Dexterity game where you build up castles and knock em down. Hope you like picking up balls off the ground
Ninja Cat Cucumber Attack - Slap but with convoluted rules.
Warfighter: WWII North Africa and Mediterranean - Apparently it's an entires series of bland as poo poo card games. Good job.

Why the gently caress is this listed under Tabletop Games
Nine Arches - Remember the Jim Carrey film Yes Man? It's that, but tarot cards.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
I wanted to back Sedlec, but they still don't offer EU friendly shipping. Oh well, I guess my wallet is happy

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I'm in for Power Plants. It's gorgeous and because it's in Canadian dollars it's very reasonably priced for what you get component wise.

I'm also a massive sucker for games like this or Quacks where you have variable sets of tiles/powers used in a given game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

Resident Evil: The Board Game - Campaign based dungeon crawler with a trillion minis and all the addons are minis and you will never paint these

You know you want me

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Imagine 4 zombies on the edge of a cliff

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
12/12 S.T.A.R.S

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Someone was asking about Marvel Dice Throne standees for Dice Throne Adventures, and it looks like they are included

I'm probably not backing as Ms Marvel isn't a character, that's legit the only reason. Everything else looks rock solid + it's Roxley.

Hollandia posted:

12/12 S.T.A.R.S

feat Skinny Wedge from FF7

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I missed how awful that Barry is since I love how Brad looks in this.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so like how different are these 3 Resident Evil board games? feels like it should be more of an expansion type of deal

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Infinitum posted:

Hanamikoji: Geisha's Road - A 1v1 game about tableau building and outwitting your opponent on your journey to become Geisha's.

The original Hanamikoji is a legit fantastic 1v1 game. I'm all over this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't really understand why Marvel Dicethrone is a kickstarter when they were never gonna have trouble getting sales + there's absolutely no worthwhile kickstarter benefits for people who contribute, besides I guess a small discount and early shipping? It looks like it was just a way to easily count preorders.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

DLC Inc posted:

I don't really understand why Marvel Dicethrone is a kickstarter when they were never gonna have trouble getting sales + there's absolutely no worthwhile kickstarter benefits for people who contribute, besides I guess a small discount and early shipping? It looks like it was just a way to easily count preorders.

Between this and the Sentinels KS where it was literally just "here's the box, you give us money" I'm honestly starting to prefer this model of KS. Sure it really only benefits them because it's a preorder count, but every single aspect of making games right now has jacked up prices, so the margins are way thinner, so they need accurate preorder counts, and this lets them do it. And they do it without a constant drip of extraneous FOMO addons and extra games to the point that you're looking at some basic CMON He-Man thing and it's running 430 bucks by the end.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DLC Inc posted:

I think it's because that's just how Roxley does things anymore. It's advertising and hype-building.

They're doing some special limited edition things which I'm on board for, but it could have gone straight to retail, for sure

e: theironjef has made some good points re: the importance of pre-orders in late 2021 so listen to him.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I want to be in for Marvel Dice Throne, since I love normal DT, but the characters just aren’t exciting to me. I think I have MCU fatigue at this point, where every tie-in or cross promotion trots out the same MCU headliners each time (but this time at least they are using Miles Morales).

Take everything I said with a grain of salt since I am probably going hard into that RE game because it scratches the itch for me, lol.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Agrias120 posted:

I want to be in for Marvel Dice Throne, since I love normal DT, but the characters just aren’t exciting to me. I think I have MCU fatigue at this point, where every tie-in or cross promotion trots out the same MCU headliners each time (but this time at least they are using Miles Morales).

Take everything I said with a grain of salt since I am probably going hard into that RE game because it scratches the itch for me, lol.

Honestly for me it was probably enough just not to see Cap, Iron Man, and Hulk in the set. Like getting a Marvel thing in the 90s that didn't have Wolverine in it somehow.

Also I get it. Marvel boardgame fatigue is real as hell. Fuckin Villainous and Champions and it just goes on forever. For me though this is a must get because it's eight more Dice Throne characters. I love that game so I can just call Loki the "Illusionist" and be fine.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 27, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

theironjef posted:

Between this and the Sentinels KS where it was literally just "here's the box, you give us money" I'm honestly starting to prefer this model of KS. Sure it really only benefits them because it's a preorder count, but every single aspect of making games right now has jacked up prices, so the margins are way thinner, so they need accurate preorder counts, and this lets them do it. And they do it without a constant drip of extraneous FOMO addons and extra games to the point that you're looking at some basic CMON He-Man thing and it's running 430 bucks by the end.

Yeah, I really appreciated that this isn't "here's the base pledge, but there's these other two 'expansions' that you can buy for $25 each, and here's 6 other 'addon' characters for $10 each, and our extra special kickstarter only enemies box for $35" which I see on like every other big project these days

Here's the game, take it or leave it, and you can buy a couple neoprene mats if you really want

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Agrias120 posted:

For me it's a lot less about Marvel - although my younger son is stoked about it - and more that it's 8 more characters, and they all look interesting and a lot of fun.

I get the MCU fatigue, but we play family DT 1-2 times a week at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

theironjef posted:

Honestly for me it was probably enough just not to see Cap, Iron Man, and Hulk in the set. Like getting a Marvel thing in the 90s that didn't have Wolverine in it somehow.

Also I get it. Marvel boardgame fatigue is real as hell. Fuckin Villainous and Champions and it just goes on forever. For me though this is a must get because it's eight more Dice Throne characters. I love that game so I can just call Loki the "Illusionist" and be fine.

yeah I wish it wasn't a prerequisite to have mostly Avengers in the base set----I'm very thankful stuff like Champions/Crisis Protocol has long passed the Avengercentric phase of their games.

good points that doing a KS means they can allocate the inventory ahead of time though, if that does end up saving headaches later on for shipping then it's a better way to do things.