Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

no hay camino posted:

Would it help if more trees were planted or is this an unusual amount of rain? To me it seems it was a lot but not unusual for this time of year.

It was the 4th largest single day rainfall in SF history, with other places (like Santa Rosa and Sacramento) breaking their all time records

We sometimes get large storm as early as October, but this one was exceptionally large

I took a look at some of the bigger local reservoirs and as a collective, they went from 32% to 43% full in the last 3 days

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not like, a weatherman, but it felt like a normal 3 day storm packed into one day. But that said it's been months and months since the last significant rainfall. The dirt isn't even turned into mud yet, just a quarter inch of sorta-mud on top. Not too much flooding, thankfully. You can see plenty of spots where the windowlickers at County DoT let culvert maintenance go.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Here, the peak rainfall felt like a normal storm, but instead of hammering for 10 minutes and easing up for a few hours, that peak rainfall kept up for 16 straight hours. poo poo was wild. I'm very thankful my current place isn't prone to flooding (at least not in the upstairs where I am).

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Proposed redistricting map is out.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It sucks that dems have committed in many states like CA to more fair methods like committees for redistricting, because it pretty much amounts to unilaterally disarming. If the courts won't ban gerrymandering, you need some deterrent to republicans doing it, and one of the the few things that keeps norms like that intact is the prospect of retaliation: I don't gently caress you over too bad because I know that you'll likely be in my position in the near future and don't want to get hosed.

I'd rather a world with no gerrymandering at all, but a world in which the GOP feels no reason at all to not let 'er rip in places like North Carolina, while dems are committed to a fair process, isn't that. Every California republican should be sweating bullets that some GIS wizard with a political science PhD is gonna find a way to gently caress them out of their seat.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess they might lose some donors for a while. But except for some window dressing, the Republican party is completely identical in politics. The existing ones could register as Democrats tomorrow and nobody would notice. The only change I can really think of is there would be less pretending to not like the bail industry and probably a little less pretending to give a poo poo about immigrants/the poor/etc. The worst any brutal redistricting will do is make the slimy creatures that are an average California politics change branding.

And probably a lot of howling from the white flight morons in the sticks, but frankly those people should continue fleeing, preferably outside the state.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larry Parrish posted:

I guess they might lose some donors for a while. But except for some window dressing, the Republican party is completely identical in politics.
Word. I remember when Larry "No Mandates gently caress You" Elder and Gavin "K12 Vax Mandate" Newsom read their policies and it was like they were totally in sync.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That would be the window dressing. Unless he's gonna put the whole state under a mandate, it's the same as doing nothing. Encouraging private enterprise to do it for him is the same as doing nothing, but also you just hope it all works out in the end.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Word. I remember when Larry "No Mandates gently caress You" Elder and Gavin "K12 Vax Mandate" Newsom read their policies and it was like they were totally in sync.

no you see there are two possible camps in politics: full communism now and everything else. no other possible differences exist.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
literally yes.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Fill Baptismal posted:

no you see there are two possible camps in politics: full communism now and everything else. no other possible differences exist.

Many people are saying it!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fill Baptismal posted:

It sucks that dems have committed in many states like CA to more fair methods like committees for redistricting, because it pretty much amounts to unilaterally disarming. If the courts won't ban gerrymandering, you need some deterrent to republicans doing it, and one of the the few things that keeps norms like that intact is the prospect of retaliation: I don't gently caress you over too bad because I know that you'll likely be in my position in the near future and don't want to get hosed.

I'd rather a world with no gerrymandering at all, but a world in which the GOP feels no reason at all to not let 'er rip in places like North Carolina, while dems are committed to a fair process, isn't that. Every California republican should be sweating bullets that some GIS wizard with a political science PhD is gonna find a way to gently caress them out of their seat.

When They Go Low, We Go High

the illinois dems are living up to their reputation at least and seem to be at least considering gerrymandering their map

on the other hand, the most powerful california democrat has repeatedly said she thinks the country needs "a strong Republican party," so...

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah, I’d far rather more democrats adopted the Illinois ethos of “when they go low, we kick”, but we’ve sorted the parties such that most of the earnest good government process respecter types are in one party, so that party is at serious disadvantage when it comes to rear end in a top hat brinksmanship games.

We have allowed a ‘real sonofabitch’ gap to develop that is strategically disastrous. Need less Obamas and more Jesse Unruhs, just some shameless partisan hack motherfuckers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we have plenty of those in the California legislature lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larry Parrish posted:

Unless he's gonna put the whole state under a mandate, it's the same as doing nothing.
Doing something is the same as doing nothing.

:jerkbag:

Elder wanted to remove the minimum wage.

Also, it's actually kind of important that school districts are able to say "Yes you need to be vaccinated. No we aren't just making it up, the State agrees". And, at least in LA, we're able to provide vax clinics to him the communities that still haven't had their doses.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure they can just keep using the epic religious exemptions like they already do with the regular, already required vaccinations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hm nope

State law does not recognize religious or personal belief exemptions for student immunizations.

Plz stop talking out your rear end 😒

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

FilthyImp posted:

Hm nope

State law does not recognize religious or personal belief exemptions for student immunizations.

Plz stop talking out your rear end 😒
Actually...It does? As far as I can tell.

So this is the announcement from Gavin's office regarding California becoming first state to have COVID19 vaccine requirements
https://www.gov.ca.gov/2021/10/01/california-becomes-first-state-in-nation-to-announce-covid-19-vaccine-requirements-for-schools/
And then for more details, it links to this document: https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/u...accinations.pdf

Basically it lays out that Newsom, as Governor, is directing CDPH to add COVID-19 to the vax requirements for in-person school attendence, and it will do so by promulgating regulations according to various parts of the HSC (Health Safety Code).

It's then further noted:

quote:

Requirements established by regulation, not legislation, must be subject to exemptions “for both medical reasons and personal beliefs.” (HSC section 120338).
And so we look at HSC Section 120338:

quote:

Notwithstanding Sections 120325 and 120335, any immunizations deemed appropriate by the department pursuant to paragraph (11) of subdivision (a) of Section 120325 or paragraph (11) of subdivision (b) of Section 120335, may be mandated before a pupil’s first admission to any private or public elementary or secondary school, child care center, day nursery, nursery school, family day care home, or development center, only if exemptions are allowed for both medical reasons and personal beliefs.
The sections referenced in 120338 are the ones that Gavin is having CDPH promulgate regulations from. For Gavin to outlaw such exemptions it would take a new law from CA legislature, and then there's constitutional questions. CDPH was having all sorts of issues in court regarding the lockdown restrictions and religious targeting.

This was also covered by multiple outlets afaik, including Calmatters (I'm not a fan of the word "loophole"), The Guardian, and others.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 29, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I dunno lol. I went to school with anti vaxxers my entire life (white flight country ftw). And I filled out my cousin's enrollment paperwork for my aunt when they briefly lived with us. You can just straight up say 'no I won't give you vaxx records' and that's the end of it. A school mandate won't do anything, at least in places like here where it's already a drat coinflip if a given student had any vaccinations, let alone all of the required ones. You have to have most of the population vaccinated for it to be effective. If there's (non-medical) exceptions you didn't actually make a mandate.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1454056940233969668

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Lol this state worships wealth more devoutly than the most pious religious community

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

That's taking the "schools resemble a prison" metaphor a little too far.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lmao, 1 toilet, shower and sink for an 8 person suite

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I guess if students are wearing vr goggles 24/5 they won't need windows though

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol the headline doesn't mention that the billionaire in question is charlie munger

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What should I know about Charlie Munger?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hardly know 'er!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I do love me some high density housing, but lmao at this place. 1 bathroom per a suite of 8, plus a kitchenette sink that will be converted into a urinal. Women's dorms would need 1 per 2 people, and mens rooms can be lower. But they all have to be able to deal with showers for 8 people, even at 20 minutes each, that's 3 hours a day for morning routines. Absolutely awful bottleneck.

I think you can get away without having a window in each room, but there needs to be huge windows with natural light close by. Like the common room in each suite having a large window illuminating that common area. So at least while you're having board meeting at your huge conference table, you and your 7 suitemates can have natural light.

And lmao at the covid implications of stacking students like this, since you just know the ventilation is also going to be even more insuffecient than the shitters.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What should I know about Charlie Munger?

he's warren buffet's business partner so is just as much an infallible Good Billionaire as buffet himself

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

SB277 in 2015 is the most recent law about school vaccinations. That quoted bit about religious exemptions applies only to when an additional unenumerated vaccine is added to requirements (paragraph 11)

Paragraphs (1) through (10) are an enumerated
listing of all the normal old childhood vaccinations and no personal belief exemptions are permitted

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That was fast

https://twitter.com/wtyppod/status/1454127942322245638

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jetz0r posted:

I do love me some high density housing, but lmao at this place. 1 bathroom per a suite of 8, plus a kitchenette sink that will be converted into a urinal. Women's dorms would need 1 per 2 people, and mens rooms can be lower. But they all have to be able to deal with showers for 8 people, even at 20 minutes each, that's 3 hours a day for morning routines. Absolutely awful bottleneck.

I think you can get away without having a window in each room, but there needs to be huge windows with natural light close by. Like the common room in each suite having a large window illuminating that common area. So at least while you're having board meeting at your huge conference table, you and your 7 suitemates can have natural light.

And lmao at the covid implications of stacking students like this, since you just know the ventilation is also going to be even more insuffecient than the shitters.

there's high density and then there's 'favela tenement that you pay on campus rates for and will probably burn to death in'

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

4,500 people and the building only has two ways in or out. What could go wrong?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

isn't "munger" like some aussie racial slur?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wicked Them Beats posted:

4,500 people and the building only has two ways in or out. What could go wrong?

Dorms(TM), by Elon Musk

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So like, there's no way this loving thing gets built, right?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Kenning posted:

A billionaire wants it

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Dorms(TM), by Elon Musk

The Boring Building

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kenning posted:

It already got built; he did something much smaller for the University of Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I love how a billionaire puts up a fraction of the total price and everyone just bows to his ridiculous demands.