Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Maybe an odd question, but is there a kind of front wheel chock you can push a bike into that'll stop it falling over by itself?

I'm moving shortly to a house that's bigger on the inside but has significantly less outdoor space for bikes, and it'd be handy if there was a way to park them upright that doesn't require faffing about with a centre stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Maybe an odd question, but is there a kind of front wheel chock you can push a bike into that'll stop it falling over by itself?

I'm moving shortly to a house that's bigger on the inside but has significantly less outdoor space for bikes, and it'd be handy if there was a way to park them upright that doesn't require faffing about with a centre stand.

Yes, those exist, you see them bolted to the floors of vans/pickups as well (although in those cases you'd add tie downs).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=front-wheel-chock&pid=54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H7usPTmAj8

You even guessed the name right.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

D shaped pilot screws are dumb as hell. My sons CRF70 has one and I had to buy the special motion pro bit for it and now any time I need it I have to search for 20 minutes in my toolbox instead of grabbing one of 50 different flathead screwdrivers

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I knew about that type but didn't think they'd be able to hold the bike up without tie-downs applied, don't know why I didn't think to look for a video. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually pulled the Carb today to just give it a general clean. Pilot jet is 25 and main jet is 155 per the JD kit instructions so I think that’s good. Still have to verify needle but I suspect it’s fine too.

@slavvy the mix screw took five turns before it bottomed out. Does that seem excessive?

At this point I’ll reassemble it as-is unless someone says “no five turns is insane”

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I knew about that type but didn't think they'd be able to hold the bike up without tie-downs applied, don't know why I didn't think to look for a video. Thanks!

Front wheel chock makes it a set-it-and-forget it type deal. No worrying about that front wheel going off-center and taking the whole bike over with it. It also simplifies trailering when you don't have an assist.

Martytoof posted:

I actually pulled the Carb today to just give it a general clean. Pilot jet is 25 and main jet is 155 per the JD kit instructions so I think that’s good. Still have to verify needle but I suspect it’s fine too.

@slavvy the mix screw took five turns before it bottomed out. Does that seem excessive?

At this point I’ll reassemble it as-is unless someone says “no five turns is insane”

If you're looking directly at the screw, carefully and slowly turn it clockwise until the screw stops turning. This setting is 0 turns out. If you don't do this carefully, you can cause damage to the pilot screw itself or to the carb body. The screw is made of brass and has a very small tip and the carb body is aluminum. "2 turns out" from here is just two full counterclockwise revolutions of the screw. I do it in half turns to get it there and count out loud because I am very dumb. If you take the whole screw out for whatever reason (sometimes that passage needs cleaning) be careful because the screw has a very small spring, o-ring, and washers.

If it was 5 turns out yep that's probably excessive.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Yeah, you have to be careful with those screws. The tip can shear off in the pilot hole, plugging it. (This happened to me, and I have no idea how)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GUYS I am so loving HYPE right now

I reassembled the carb, moved the mix screw to 2-1/2 out per the docs and it is so SMOOTH now!

I don’t know which is hyping me more, the fact that I tackled a quick carb clean for the first time, or the fact that it seems to be much less rough. Throttle response feels better too.

I was ultra careful with the screw based on recommendations and it feels like I would probably have lost something if I wasn’t watching for it. Good calls. I kind of want to grab an external adjuster but I’ll wait for now. It probably needs some tuning but I’m happy to leave it as is for now.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I feel like carbs aren't as hard as everybody makes them out to be, but people get that stuck in their head, try to mess with them, go "wow so hard!" as soon as the first thing they try doesn't work and give up. Then they leave it slightly hosed up, and that's how we end up with so many used bikes with weirdly messed up carbs

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Dog Case posted:

I feel like carbs aren't as hard as everybody makes them out to be, but people get that stuck in their head, try to mess with them, go "wow so hard!" as soon as the first thing they try doesn't work and give up. Then they leave it slightly hosed up, and that's how we end up with so many used bikes with weirdly messed up carbs

Single carbs are easy, double aren't bad, banks of three or four suck poo poo though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah after tackling it I don’t think it was difficult at all. There are a bunch of parts that are easy to break like the diaphragm or are easy to lose so I think generally I expected it to be a lot fiddlier than it was.

Honestly I can say the same about just about every part on my bike I’ve torn into. Everything seems difficult or impossible until it isn’t.

Took the bike on the road for a few minutes. What a world of difference.Not even my lovely throttle control could get that bike to stutter.

I did have the engine cut out on me halfway down the block though because I forgot to turn on the petcock on the way out :lol:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I reassembled the carb, moved the mix screw to 2-1/2 out per the docs and it is so SMOOTH now!

I don’t know which is hyping me more, the fact that I tackled a quick carb clean for the first time, or the fact that it seems to be much less rough. Throttle response feels better too.

I was ultra careful with the screw based on recommendations and it feels like I would probably have lost something if I wasn’t watching for it. Good calls. I kind of want to grab an external adjuster but I’ll wait for now. It probably needs some tuning but I’m happy to leave it as is for now.

:hellyeah:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Nice!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

bengy81 posted:

Single carbs are easy, double aren't bad, banks of three or four suck poo poo though.

I've always wondered how hard is is to work on a 240Z with triple carbs, it seems like it could be finicky

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I unracked and rebuilt the 4 carburetors on a Concours once. Wasn't bad, idk what the fuss is about either.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The only way 3 and 4 carbs are more complicated is in the tuning cause it can be hard to detect any changes you make to individual cylinders. Everything else is exactly the same just x4.

V4 carbs are a different story as they can have some potential pitfalls you don't have on inline layouts.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bengy81 posted:

I dread the day I ever have to monkey with the Rex's carbs outside of synchronizing them, which turned out to be remarkably easy with the right tool

It's not the messing with the settings I fear, it's the potentially repeated uninstall/reinstall. It's real tight in there and I hope you people with easily removable carbs understand how good you've got it. When I cleaned them a few years ago I did one carb at a time and made sure to write down every pilot screw setting and put it right back where it was. Fortunately it ran great right out of the gate.

Even with the synch I could see how easily you could end up chasing your own tail if you didn't stick to a plan.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kawasaki and their idiotic little spring scrunchies and their hosed up immobile air boxes, gently caress em.

Then there's the guzzi twins with their incredible system of having two separate carbs on either side like a BMW, but then joining them together solidly so you have to remove both at once by sliding them out like an inline engine, thus throwing away one of the very few advantages to their stupid layout.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
What is a good helmet comm system? Primary use would be for audio navigation from my phone. Might use it with 2-3 other riders if they aren’t too spendy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

n8r posted:

What is a good helmet comm system? Primary use would be for audio navigation from my phone. Might use it with 2-3 other riders if they aren’t too spendy.

Fairly recent models of Cardo are showing up used for decent prices on advrider and eBay. My buddy and I split a Pactalk and it’s pretty good. Bluetooth on it is fantastic, but comms range isn’t great. They seem to be best for fairly low speed, close riding like on dirt or getting around town. Ours are prone to key up if the mouth vents are open, and I’m thinking about making some better muffs for the microphones.
I haven’t used mine for audio nav because I just don’t use that at all, but given how well it works with iTunes and Amazon music on my iPhone 6S, I would expect google maps or similar to work well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I use my packtalk bold for nav a lot and it works great. But basically it’s just a bluetooth headset so anything you can run on your phone will sound exactly as you expect it.

Anecdotally, I found comms range for my packtalk bold really good — I will sometimes auto-join up with my friends when they’re riding unexpectedly/intermittently blocks away in a downtown area and it’ll prompt us to meet up so that’s always a pleasant surprise :) I for sure wouldn’t plan on it to be anything other than line of sight, if we’re trying to decide how far apart to ride though. That’s just a safe bet.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Ours are prone to key up if the mouth vents are open, and I’m thinking about making some better muffs for the microphones.

if you haven't done it already, upgrade the Packtalk to the latest firmware, download the cardo app to your phone, and use it to adjust the mic sensitivity to its lowest setting. I'd suggest immediately uninstalling the cardo app after you tweak any other settings you might want, since it's otherwise pretty useless

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh poo poo, thanks, we’ll do that. I read on advrider from a few users to not use the app at all because it’s crap. I didn’t realize tinkering with mic settings was even an option.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The app's a POS, but it's still better than the local driver + web interface they used to have to make settings changes. It's not uncommon that the app can't find the communicator on the first try, even when it's paired with your phone and receiving audio. Flipping Bluetooth off and on again on the phone usually straightens things out

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Dog Case posted:

This entire thread needs to be renamed "carb chat".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

This entire thread needs to be renamed "carb chat".

Things that can also be renamed "carb chat":

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.
Motorcycle culture as a whole.
The running thread.
The weight loss thread.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Ola posted:

Things that can also be renamed "carb chat":

Motorcycle culture as a whole.
The running thread.
The weight loss thread.

bong thread

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What happens when the “RT” in RTV gets low enough? Does it just take longer to set, or is there a certain temperature that is actually chemically required for it to ascend to its final plane?

Asking as someone who may or may not have a space heater for his winter workshop.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ola posted:

Things that can also be renamed r/aita or e/n:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Martytoof posted:

What happens when the “RT” in RTV gets low enough? Does it just take longer to set, or is there a certain temperature that is actually chemically required for it to ascend to its final plane?

Asking as someone who may or may not have a space heater for his winter workshop.

Afaik, RTV is Room Temperature because it cures with oxygen/moisture exposure.

But does the reaction occur when the temps are low? I can’t be sure. It should say on the packaging it’s suitable application temps. But it’ll likely just be a case of a slower reaction (but with all things, at some point of coldness the reaction will stop)

If you’re truly unsure, you could just leave a bead on a bit of cardboard out overnight and see if it sets.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 26, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw, Toyota's opinion was something like if it's 20 degrees or above, you can seal up a sump or water pump and it'll be cured by the end of the day. If it's colder than that we were instructed to leave it to cure overnight.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've been thinking of what my options are for making the MT03 a little friendlier for my long legs (need to increase peg to seat distance).

The options would be this Norton seat:

https://www.norton-motorsports.com/product/norton-racing-supersport-seat-yamaha-r3/

Or as I understand, there's a way to drop the pegs a little? How does this work? Looks like there's a little bracket and basically moves them down?

Is one preferable to the other?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A taller seat is much preferable to lowered pegs because it changes the weight distribution of the bike less. Lowered pegs have had a weird handling effect on every bike I've ridden that had them, the type of bike didn't seem to matter much.

Also they tend to scrape.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You can speed up cure with heat, but you don't really want to blast it and make it cure too fast where it shrinks and pulls away or creates gaps. So if your garage is cold, a heat lamp to warm the surrounding area to 20-30 deg C depending on the stuff used is the safest bet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm yeah, ok that makes sense. This wasn’t prompted by any specific need, just in case I had to ever RTV something this winter. I’ll probably just wait for anything major until it’s warm because — let’s face it — if the RTV is too cold to set properly then I also probably don’t want to be in that frigid shed applying it.

Thanks for the info!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

A taller seat is much preferable to lowered pegs because it changes the weight distribution of the bike less. Lowered pegs have had a weird handling effect on every bike I've ridden that had them, the type of bike didn't seem to matter much.

Also they tend to scrape.

Cool, reached out to Norton and of course seats have 2 week order times in these weird times so it's more expedient to send yours now and they mod it for you. Except I want to ride a bunch this weekend so it'll have to wait.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Cool, reached out to Norton and of course seats have 2 week order times in these weird times so it's more expedient to send yours now and they mod it for you. Except I want to ride a bunch this weekend so it'll have to wait.

Norton, like the same Norton that was robbing parts off customer bikes in for maintenance to assemble new bikes? Yeah I wouldn't send them your seat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

After a six week wait, russian bear rips open the parcel to find the seat for a 1997 katana 750 along with a small bag of lollies and a coupon redeemable for the seat of your choice in the fiscal year 2030.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Norton, like the same Norton that was robbing parts off customer bikes in for maintenance to assemble new bikes? Yeah I wouldn't send them your seat.

Is it this one? https://www.norton-motorsports.com/product/norton-racing-supersport-seat-yamaha-r3/

Welcome any other suggestions for MT03 seats that are taller.