Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

pfizer and moderna use different things with the Mrna, and utilize different types of carrier lipids, its not the same thing

Technically correct but they both encode for the same spike but moderna makes "more" spikes. They are different instructions to build identical proteins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, you should get boosters, that is the recommendation, you should not make up weird fake internet plans to change up the dosing and scheduling to something some internet IT manager told you was the real one.

People got boosters based on real-world data from Pfizer and Israel, as has been pointed out since the start of this conversation—now multiple times. But please, keep posting your way through this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

enki42 posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread is recommending anything other than a booster at 6 months.

I am recommending boosters at two months

for Johnson & Johnson recipients.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 26, 2021

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Not that I think any of the following calls for mod action or whatever or that I disagree with the advice given, but lol people right here in this thread are recommending boosters based on twitter screen shots, gut feel, and journalists' interpretation of pre-prints, and no one seems to care

Fritz the Horse posted:

Not too far back someone linked a twitter post "ranking" the mix-n-match combinations based on data showing antibody levels. I can dig it up later tonight when I have a few minutes or if someone finds it, repost I guess?

That's if you have a choice in your area, though. Probably not worth going out of your way to get one booster over another, but that's just my 2c

Professor Beetus posted:

I still think the best answer is "whatever you can get first." You're going to be well-protected from Covid either way.

Bel Shazar posted:

My impression was the min-max was "ok good you got whatever, now get a moderna shot"

e: https://twitter.com/AdrienneLaF/status/1451169947472875524

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Hey, look, some actual news!

FDA panel greenlights vaccines for kids, paving the way for authorization

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/fda-panel-greenlights-vaccines-kids-kicking-off-authorization/story?id=80778124

quote:

Vaccines for 28 million American children are on the way to authorization after an advisory panel at the Food and Drug Administration voted in support of the Pfizer vaccine for kids 5-11 on Tuesday afternoon.

The vote was the first step in a regulatory process for the two-shot Pfizer vaccine that could allow kids to get their first shots in early November and become fully immunized by early December.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fosborb posted:

Not that I think any of the following calls for mod action or whatever or that I disagree with the advice given, but lol people right here in this thread are recommending boosters based on twitter screen shots, gut feel, and journalists' interpretation of pre-prints, and no one seems to care

Not sure what you're implying by including my post in there, but the FDA approved boosters for recipients of all 3 vaccines given in the US six days ago. If you're 6 months past your initial vaccine, you're probably eligible depending on other risk factors. I don't think people should take medical advice from randoms on the internet but boosters are a thing now regardless of the stupid slapfight over the Israeli study and how some people on SA reacted to it.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Hey, look, some actual news!

FDA panel greenlights vaccines for kids, paving the way for authorization

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/fda-panel-greenlights-vaccines-kids-kicking-off-authorization/story?id=80778124

Thanks for sharing, this is great news and I hope it proceeds as quickly as the article speculates.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Professor Beetus posted:

Not sure what you're implying by including my post in there, but the FDA approved boosters for recipients of all 3 vaccines given in the US six days ago. If you're 6 months past your initial vaccine, you're probably eligible depending on other risk factors. I don't think people should take medical advice from randoms on the internet but boosters are a thing now regardless of the stupid slapfight over the Israeli study and how some people on SA reacted to it

Someone asked a sincere question about what booster they should get and you gave your sincere advice that they should get whatever is first available. If you provided a source that says we should do that instead of following the original vaccine schedule, or do some combo hack, I missed it and I'm sorry, though I would like to read it!

the booster slap fight is silly because we are all doing the same thing right now: gathering the best information possible of an incredibly limited, low reviewed dataset, when official advice in the US has for the last 6 days been little more than follow your brand preference.

This is the limit of the advice I can find on the CDC pages right now

quote:

Some people may have a preference for the vaccine type that they originally received, and others may prefer to get a different booster. CDC’s recommendations now allow for this type of mix and match dosing for booster shots.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p1021-covid-booster.html

That is insane, but in the absence of any guidance, its creating a relatively low bar for recommending one vaccine over the other.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Where were you when Canada and the UK were giving the second shot at intervals much greater than had been tested in the clinical trials?

Was that or was that not substantially more reckless than taking a third dose at four months?

I don't know about Canada but I'm pretty sure the British government did this purely to try to get the first dose numbers up as high as possible as fast as possible so they could reopen sooner, and the fact that a longer dose interval turned out to be more efficacious was sheer luck.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fosborb posted:

Someone asked a sincere question about what booster they should get and you gave your sincere advice that they should get whatever is first available. If you provided a source that says we should do that instead of following the original vaccine schedule, or do some combo hack, I missed it and I'm sorry, though I would like to read it!

the booster slap fight is silly because we are all doing the same thing right now: gathering the best information possible of an incredibly limited, low reviewed dataset, when official advice in the US has for the last 6 days been little more than follow your brand preference.

This is the limit of the advice I can find on the CDC pages right now

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p1021-covid-booster.html

That is insane, but in the absence of any guidance, its creating a relatively low bar for recommending one vaccine over the other.

I mean I think you hit the nail on the head? I said that because that was the original advice given about vaccines in the first place; get what you can because it's better than getting covid. My first response to that poster was

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm not sure anyone qualified to answer that is still willing to post here but that sounds like spurious reasoning at best. Bigger/more doses does not necessarily translate to better/more protected, just like getting 4 boosters by using fake names at various pharmacies isn't going to make you super protected. If you have access to a doctor, I'd ask what they recommend, but the only answer well-suited to this thread is "get whatever booster you can, if you're eligible." I wasn't fully vaxxed until end of May, so I'm planning on going in for one next month.

Which as far as I can tell based on current FDA and CDC guidance is accurate. I agree that that is insane and we are not in disagreement.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fosborb posted:

CDC’s guidance on booster selection:

quote:

Individual benefit-risk considerations for selecting which booster dose to receive

For groups recommended to receive a booster, people have the option to receive any of the FDA-approved or FDA-authorized COVID-19 booster products (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna [half dose] or Janssen). People may consider the benefits and risks of each product and discuss with their healthcare provider which product is most appropriate for them.

Clinical trial data show that homologous COVID-19 booster doses (utilizing the same vaccine product for the primary series and booster dose) increase the immune response against SARS-CoV-2 and have an acceptable safety profile for all FDA-approved or FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine boosters (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna [half dose] or Janssen).

One study of heterologous (mix-and-match) booster dosing showed that all three of the FDA-approved or FDA-authorized vaccine boosters doses led to a strong serologic response in groups primed by all three vaccines. For a given COVID-19 primary vaccine series, heterologous boosters elicited similar or higher serologic responses as compared to their respective homologous booster responses.

People may also discuss with their healthcare provider the risks of different FDA-approved or FDA-authorized vaccines. The frequency and type of transient local and systemic symptoms after a booster dose is generally similar to those experienced after a primary series. Anaphylaxis is a rare risk, but the rate of anaphylaxis after a booster dose is not yet known.

Potential risks of an mRNA COVID-19 booster dose include the rare risks of myocarditis and pericarditis. Based on data after mRNA COVID-19 primary series, the group at the highest risk for myocarditis and pericarditis are males aged <30 years. Additional considerations are available for people with a history of myocarditis or pericarditis.

Potential risks of a Janssen COVID-19 booster include the rare risks of thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) and Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS). Based on data after receipt of a Janssen COVID-19 primary dose, the group at the highest risk for GBS are males aged 50-64 years and the group highest at risk for TTS are women aged 18-49 years. Women aged 18-49 years should be made aware of the increased risk for TTS and the availability of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines for use as a booster dose. People who developed TTS after their initial Janssen vaccine should not receive a Janssen booster dose. Considerations for use of the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine in certain populations can be consulted for additional information.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html#considerations-covid19-vax-booster

Note also the admission that the Janssen shot is worse in immunocompromised persons. CDC’s bold:

quote:

Moderately and severely immunocompromised people aged ≥18 years who completed an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine primary series and received an additional mRNA vaccine dose may receive a single COVID-19 booster dose […]

Moderately and severely immunocompromised people aged ≥18 years who received a single dose Janssen COVID-19 vaccine primary series should receive a single COVID-19 booster vaccine […]

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

freebooter posted:

I don't know about Canada but I'm pretty sure the British government did this purely to try to get the first dose numbers up as high as possible as fast as possible so they could reopen sooner, and the fact that a longer dose interval turned out to be more efficacious was sheer luck.

Exactly the same thing in Canada, I promise you.

It still pisses me off that I had to struggle to get the first available vaccine, and I did so without a second thought, and now we have vaccination rates stagnating because of the 30% of complete loving morons.

Is there a big urban/rural divide in Australia? Here we have serious problems with cities being really pro-vaccination (rates of 80-90% of eligible people with a vaccine) and then rural areas dogging it around 50%, because they spend too much time violating livestock and reading Facebook.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

freebooter posted:

It wasnt quite this, it was because we were being absoultely murdered by case numbers coming into Winter and decided it was better to get 10 million old people single vacced rather than 5 million old people double vaxxed, to reduce deaths. There was also the completely botched Astrazenca trial which ended up with long dosage gaps because someone hosed up, but gave some indication that long gaps work better, which is how they justified it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah it was entirely due to lack of supply and delayed deliveries that Canada did the shot schedule that we did, not because there was really any evidence it was a good idea (which makes it a bit funny that it might look now that the extended schedule may provide more protection). Like I do think sometimes Americans don't realize exactly how lucky they were with the vaccine supply, since y'all were pretty much the only ones that didn't have any real supply issues. Makes it extra frustrating that with all that supply you still had so many more idiots refusing the shots since most countries would have killed for that kind of easy supply.

That being said it wasn't like the longer shot interval was set in stone or anything, it was just "At most 16 weeks, might be sooner depending on the situation". Sure, you got an appointment for four months from your first shot back in the spring but once they opened up shots more when supplies eased, If you managed to find an earlier appointment (which most people did) you got whatever that interval was. I'd say most people were around 2-3 months, a small minority were the full four, and some got it as soon as after a month. I'm pretty sure now if you get a shot they tell you to come back in a month.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PT6A posted:

Is there a big urban/rural divide in Australia? Here we have serious problems with cities being really pro-vaccination (rates of 80-90% of eligible people with a vaccine) and then rural areas dogging it around 50%, because they spend too much time violating livestock and reading Facebook.

There is, but there is also a huge divide between the states (or even regions) that have had outbreaks and those that haven't. Some areas of regional NSW are some of the most vaxxed areas of the country.

EDIT: eg Central West and Far West NSW have double vaxx rates >85% of the eligible population, which is around the state average and higher than anywhere outside of NSW/ACT (including the other capital cities). This is due to the outbreaks around Dubbo etc during mid August, which lead to a big vaccination push in the area.

Map from here

The most notably anti-vaxx area is in northern NSW (Richmond-Tweed in the SA4 list) and it's a hippy area that gentrified massively and is now the kind of place you'd find a lot of instagram wellness influencers and celebrities on holiday.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 27, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

freebooter posted:

Canada absolutely did this to get their first shot percentage higher. It wasn't explicitly tied to any reopening metrics (vaccine percentage based re-opening metrics came much later when the schedules weren't quite so stretched out), but I'm sure it was a factor to some degree. Supply was also a huge factor in Canada, and in early 2021, there was a lot of attention paid to the fact that Canada was lagging in supply compared to the US and the UK. We have no domestic manufacturing capability, so had to rely on shipments from other countries, and were especially hosed by the US's hard stance against vaccine exports in early 2021.

Also the window where we had extremely long spacing was relatively short. The very early cohort (primarily healthcare workers and people in LTC facilities) got doses at the standard schedule. Maybe a couple of 80+ people snuck in there as well (my grandma is 90, didn't delay in getting vaccinated and had her second dose delayed, so I think this is a fairly small group). After that, by the time we got down to vaccinating 40 and below, the supply issues were mostly resolved and second doses would have been shorter than 16 weeks, although probably not quite the 3-4 weeks recommended unless you waited for your first shot.

Also this is Ontario-specific, every province and even in some cases every PHU within a province is going to be different (I went to a neighbouring PHU for my first dose since they were vaccinating highest-risk health conditions way ahead of everyone else)

enki42 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 27, 2021

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Didn't Canada end up buying enough vaccines for five times their population or something?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Didn't Canada end up buying enough vaccines for five times their population or something?

We ordered a fuckload but we ordered wide, at least with the initial orders, in case some or most failed. Pfizer, AZ, Moderna, J&J (which still hasn't delivered a single shot lol), Novovax, GSK, Medicago, etc... The last three were huge orders on the scale of our Pfizer order and they haven't even been approved yet, let alone started shipping.

As far as I know we've started donating a bunch of our surplus minus enough to keep a consistent stockpile for kids, holdouts, and old people boosters (e.g. B.C recently returned 300k Moderna doses it anticipated it wouldn't need to send to COVAX, IIRC any AZ we receive now gets sent out since it's been phased out here, etc..). Still could be doing more but it's a start.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 27, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

freebooter posted:

The sheer luck thing I have to dispute. That had the backing of established vaccine science and was spoken about as a good idea even when it was made a policy decision by the UK. Dr Norman Swann on Coronacast had researchers on to talk about how the immune system worked, why other vaccines use a longer interval and why Covid-19 vaccines were going to be better with a longer initial interval - the thing was that there was an accepted position of getting as many people full vacced as soon as possible if supplies were availible. IF you could wait two to three months for the second shot, there was evidence very early that would be better and established vaccine science had many examples where this held true, there was no reason to think Covid-19 vaccines would be any different.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Why did the child vaccine announcement make like, zero impact?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's not fully approved yet, just went through the panel review. It will probably make more news when it is fully approved in the next week or so.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's not fully approved yet, just went through the panel review. It will probably make more news when it is fully approved in the next week or so.

Yeah, it's unequivocally good news, but it was a very preliminary announcement. I'm hoping we get more info by the end of the week or early next week.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Because only a minority of parents will vaccinate their 5-11 year old(s). I’d be shocked if the 5-11 demographic cracks 40%.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I dunno, up here there's not a significant drop-off for 12-17 year olds (they're even a bit higher than 18-29 year olds). 12-17 can definitely make their own decisions about vaccination, but I'd imagine a lot of them are still heavily influenced by their parents.

For context, 12-17 is 83.51% first dose, 77.68% second dose, and 18-29 is 83.11% first dose, 77.10% second.

For sure there will be a lot of misinformation circulating around about how we don't know the long term effects, and how could you dare put your children at risk, but IMO both the people spreading this and the audience is still going to be the same population resisting vaccines in the first place.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 27, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

It will vary by region, by state, and by locality, as it has always been. Broadly speaking though, I would be very surprised if 5-11 isn’t the least vaccinated demographic, especially now that we’ve done such a wonderful job infecting so many of them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
5-11 year olds aren't making their own medical decisions so I'd expect it to closely match the vaccination rates of their parents

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

enki42 posted:

I dunno, up here there's not a significant drop-off for 12-17 year olds (they're even a bit higher in first dose than 18-29 year olds). 12-17 can definitely make their own decisions about vaccination, but I'd imagine a lot of them are still heavily influenced by their parents.

For context, 12-17 is 83.51% first dose, 77.68% second dose, and 18-29 is 83.11% first dose, 77.10% second.

For sure there will be a lot of misinformation circulating around about how we don't know the long term effects, and how could you dare put your children at risk, but IMO both the people spreading this and the audience is still going to be the same population resisting vaccines in the first place.

Yeah, this. I don't think a majority of parents are anti-vaxxers who will refuse to vaccinate their kids, because anti-vax parents who refuse to vaccinate their kids were and are still a minority. We'll find out in a few months, and hopefully the that trend will continue.

Gio posted:

Because only a minority of parents will vaccinate their 5-11 year old(s). I’d be shocked if the 5-11 demographic cracks 40%.

What makes you think anti-vax parents are the majority? I have no doubt that they will be a significant thorn in the side of getting vaccination numbers up but to say they are a majority of parents doesn't seem like something grounded in reality. Kids get mandatory school vaccinations all the time. The anti-vax movement has obviously been emboldened and strengthened in the last several years but I don't see any evidence to suggest that a majority of parents are now anti-vax.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

5-11 year olds aren't making their own medical decisions so I'd expect it to closely match the vaccination rates of their parents
There will be a not insignificant percentage of vaccinated adults who will refuse to vaccinate their children, either due to immunity from infection or because they don’t think it’s necessary.

I could be wrong. That’s my prediction.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

What makes you think anti-vax parents are the majority? I have no doubt that they will be a significant thorn in the side of getting vaccination numbers up but to say they are a majority of parents doesn't seem like something grounded in reality. Kids get mandatory school vaccinations all the time. The anti-vax movement has obviously been emboldened and strengthened in the last several years but I don't see any evidence to suggest that a majority of parents are now anti-vax.
Admittedly my view is probably colored by my twitter viewing habits, which includes a lot of anti-vaxxers and anti-vax adjacents (i.e. vaccines good! covid vaxx bad!).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gio posted:

There will be a not insignificant percentage of vaccinated adults who will refuse to vaccinate their children, either due to immunity from infection or because they don’t think it’s necessary.

I could be wrong. That’s my prediction.

I certainly hope you're wrong in this case, but I'm sure you do too. :tipshat:

Forgive the twitter link (I'm not looking for follows lol, I just use twitter to yell at companies and post videos of my cat) but everyone could use a dose of pet tax today:

https://twitter.com/MadDrBeetus/status/1451229395197186064?s=20

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

It sounds like early next week is when the CDC will meet to discuss the 5-11 vaccine. Everyone is assuming they will go forward with it, but I have to say I'm annoyed at how long it's taken since the data was made available. It feels like this could've been made more of a priority by the various governing bodies.

Edit: Also seeing rumors about the shot being actually available by late next week, but we'll see I guess. The schools around here are already planning clinics at the elementary schools and expanding the junior high ones.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

haveblue posted:

They're not, but I suspect at least some portion of parents are only getting vaccinated because their work requires it, or something similar. And in the absence of a similar compelling reason to vaccinate their children, I'm not sure those parents will.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Does the US mandate vaccinations for school attendance? I think here in Ontario the chances of it being mandated for this school year are basically nil, but I imagine it's going to be a big provincial election issue, and there's a decent chance we'll have it added for September 2022.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lager posted:

It sounds like early next week is when the CDC will meet to discuss the 5-11 vaccine. Everyone is assuming they will go forward with it, but I have to say I'm annoyed at how long it's taken since the data was made available. It feels like this could've been made more of a priority by the various governing bodies.

Edit: Also seeing rumors about the shot being actually available by late next week, but we'll see I guess. The schools around here are already planning clinics at the elementary schools and expanding the junior high ones.

It's honestly blisteringly fast how quickly this had proceeded, hell how quickly all the vaccine approvals have proceeded. Pfizer submitted initial data the end of September, but didn't submit the full EUA until October 8th. That's less than three weeks from submission (and it's a lot of data to review. Don't forget it's not just trial results) to VRBPAC voting to approve it.

I'd also imagine there was a conscious effort to not skip the expert panel review stage of the approval like they did with the full Pfizer approval a couple months back, as that added a bunch of fuel to the anti-vax/right-wing media fire over the vaccines being "rushed and unsafe".

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

enki42 posted:

Does the US mandate vaccinations for school attendance? I think here in Ontario the chances of it being mandated for this school year are basically nil, but I imagine it's going to be a big provincial election issue, and there's a decent chance we'll have it added for September 2022.

Yes but it's determined at state/local level what the requirements and exemptions are.

edit: so I suspect what will happen with school vaccine mandates in the US is similar to what's happened with mask mandates and other precautions - bluer areas will require kids get shots after it's fully FDA approved, and redder areas won't.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 27, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Lager posted:

edit: wrong thread

I will remind this thread though that the AAP was telling the CDC and FDA all the way back in November 2020 that child vaccine trials must start now or there will be significant delay getting shots in kids arms. https://www.aappublications.org/news/2020/11/17/covidvaccinetrials111720

Those trials did not start until March 2021, well over 4 months after the warning.

The only people to fault and blame for the length of time it's taken the child vaccines to be approved are the CDC and FDA.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 27, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

edit: wrong thread

I will remind this thread though that the AAP was telling the CDC and FDA all the way back in November 2020 that child vaccine trials must start now or there will be significant delay getting shots in kids arms. https://www.aappublications.org/news/2020/11/17/covidvaccinetrials111720

Those trials did not start until March 2021, well over 4 months after the warning.

The only people to fault and blame for the length of time it's taken the child vaccines to be approved are the CDC and FDA.

Uh, that's not how it works and not what that article says:

The article posted:

The AAP is calling for manufacturers to include children in their COVID-19 vaccine trials and for federal officials to use a rigorous scientific process for reviewing vaccines

The FDA and CDC don't run the trials, the manufacturers do. They just review the submitted data and decide on approval or not. They might provide broad non binding guidance on how those trials should be run for the data to be acceptable but that's about it. It's on Pfizer or Moderna or whoever to include children in clinical trials.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Uh, that's not how it works and not what that article says:

The FDA and CDC don't run the trials, the manufacturers do. They just review the submitted data and decide on approval or not. They might provide broad non binding guidance on how those trials should be run for the data to be acceptable but that's about it. It's on Pfizer or Moderna or whoever to include children in clinical trials.

Oh well in that case it perfectly excuses it and makes the situation we are in completely acceptable.

You either have to criticize the FDA/CDC or the vaccine manufacturers. There is fault here no matter how it's tried to be spun or said. People delayed on action and children have been infected, died, and been maimed for life because of it. (and please, let's not start a 10 page derail again on how 'only' 500 kids have died and that well actually that's perfectly acceptable and we just have to live with it)

This was preventable, this was warned and it was ignored. People in power at institutions and companies should be held responsible and accountable for their lack of action.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Professor Beetus posted:

US parenting culture is broken, it's basically a right wing subculture at this point instead of something everyone does. Look at "mommy culture" vaxx rates in pregnant women, down in the 30s.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Dude half the problem is that antivaxxers infiltrated new mother groups. It's tied directly into the essential oil poo poo because it's used to sell mlm poo poo to new scared moms. Really it's directly linked to social media amplifying stuff in order to radicalize viewpoints. Healthcare pushes to follow a vaccine schedule but it doesn't help if some of the new mother support groups have massive antivaxxers or mlm marketers in it that actively lie to mother's and cause this, and the hospital unknowlly sends mom's to them.

Other issue is lack of post birth care due to money, alot of babies don't get vaccinated because the parents can't get pediatric care or visits reliably. That's a whole nother can of worms.

I realize this sounds snarky but it's not meant to be, it's a legitimate issue that's used to prey on new mothers or even worse scared single mothers and actively harms people. Made worse by the anti-abortion groups that prey on that population so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Also the only people with the community support to reproduce are pretty much already chuds, because churches/antivax mommy groups/Proud Boys/etc are the only activities outside of consuming and working that won't get stomped out relentlessly.