Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Zereth posted:

It'd be nice to be able to build just, like, "a full stack" of something at once, instead of holding down the mouse button until you get what you need. Particularly important for, say, crafted ammo. Or buying things in bulk from shops.

Journey mode deals with this. Once you research an item x times, you can duplicate a full stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Zereth posted:

Having multiple planes/worlds in one "world" would be nice. Like, the ability to go to the (blood) moon for example. It'd also help with the way all the biomes are crammed into not quite enough space, which gets real bad if you mod in new biomes.

I was thinking of something like this, but with a bit more of a metroidvania flare. Breaking up the zones presents more interesting opportunities to build things as each zone gets its own biome/block types and story goals. You can also find secrets in older zones once you get the new materials and such. I suppose an overarching zone-contaminating biome can still be a thing, but managing that is more busy work than fun.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mad Dragon posted:

Journey mode deals with this. Once you research an item x times, you can duplicate a full stack.
Yeah, but that's kinda cheating. If you don't want the ability to produce an infinite amount of something it'd still be nice to be able to craft more than one item at a time without sitting there holding down the mouse button.

(At this point in playing Terraria I do want that ability, to be clear, but not everybody does and if I hadn't run through the same stuff repeatedly I probably wouldn't either.)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Mayveena posted:

What's your channel name?

NRLP. Don't dox me :ssh:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
More anti RNG features would be nice.

When did my Journey run mode I stared into the RNG abyss of "Dupe about 800 fishing crates before getting the item I was missing", taking ages to get certain enemy drops even if I shamelessly cranked enemy spawns to x20, decided "Hey since I have infinite coins might as well try for a demonic/godly modifier on purpose" and blowing through a full stack of platinum without getting it. Time control powers and duped quest fish still needing an eternity to get a goddamned weather radio while keeping all my items in inventory to prevent dupes of the major rewards. etc.

Meanwhile in my lazy classic mode save I'm poking at off and on these days, "Oh cool I lucked into an entire set of ancient shadow armor within the first hour of gameplay." and a gold fishing net after twelve fishing quests trying to lull be back into a false sense of security over luck based gains.

I want more than my Nth flag to stuff in a chest somewhere after killing an enemy fifty times, make it apply better drop modifiers or something.

Also I'm being reminded skimming the wiki that the hardmode dungeon enemies are based on a "chance of three different tile types=three different spawn tables", explaining why I probably never thought too hard about hard mode dungeon weapons that didn't come out of chests.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 26, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

oh yeah hardmode dungeon farming sucks

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Section Z posted:

More anti RNG features would be nice.

There was a mod whose name escapes me that fixed this entirely by adding tokens that dropped randomly but commonly from enemies in every biome(so like, cavern tokens, crimson tokens, ice tokens, ocean tokens, etc) and were used as crafting materials for rare items that spawned in that biome. So, say, desert tokens could craft into a Sandstorm in a Bottle or a Magic Carpet, or cavern tokens could craft into Arkhalis/Terragrim. IIRC it even added tokens to fishing boxes that could be used for fishing items.

This sort of system is perfect anti-RNG without going full into Journey Mode infinite free item generation.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Agree entirely on the RNG. The token system that Kanos described is a very good idea, but at least for drops it would be very easy to code in logic wherein the odds of mob Y dropping item Z would increase each time a mob Y dies. When Z drops, it either resets the probability or, for 'unique' items, it can't drop again. Some classmates and I coded this into a computer game that we wrote in BASIC back in the early 90's; it certainly can be done now. Raw (miniscule chance)/(some huge number) mechanics are total bollocks. They make sense (not really) in pay-to-play games like gachas and MMOs, but in anything sensible it's just cruelty to prolong game time.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Disagree, nothing that is required is behind horrible rng. It is legit exciting when a 1 in 1000 item drops, removing that is bad game design.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The RNG is fun the first few times you've played the game, but ten years on I mostly get annoyed when I've done several goblin invasions without getting a floating piggy bank or whatever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just want banners to drop less frequently

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Whenever I get a banner drop I usually just place it wherever I am at that moment, it lets me know what enemies are where and also makes them easier to kill.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

watho posted:

oh yeah hardmode dungeon farming sucks

I had to load up TEdit for the first time in maybe 5+ years because the dungeon that generated for me and my friend's world completely lacked the tiles that spawned skeleton snipers.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Peachfart posted:

Disagree, nothing that is required is behind horrible rng. It is legit exciting when a 1 in 1000 item drops, removing that is bad game design.

GodFish posted:

The RNG is fun the first few times you've played the game, but ten years on I mostly get annoyed when I've done several goblin invasions without getting a floating piggy bank or whatever.

I was just now running laps around the cave layer on the night of a full moon with a stack of hunter potions so I can see when the skeleton merchant finally spawns inside a tiny 10x10 or whatever the hell fully enclosed hole deep inside dirt and stone I would have never possibly found otherwise even with a rare creature detector as part of my UI.

Buying the magic lantern pet I really like isn't technically RNG. But weary exhaustion is the bigger feeling than 'legit exciting' when it comes to these things.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 27, 2021

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
RNG drops are fun when you don't know what's going to happen and aren't expecting anything to happen and are thus completely surprised when an unexpected bonus item appears. Once you've played enough to know the game well (or if you've spoiled yourself with guides and wikis), though, it feels bad because you know exactly what RNG could potentially offer you and are disappointed every time you don't get it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
One of the anti-RNG mods actually uses banners as the tokens for creating usually rare drop items. I really like that as a compromise because if you get stupidly unlucky, you will eventually get the item regardless.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DoubleNegative posted:

One of the anti-RNG mods actually uses banners as the tokens for creating usually rare drop items. I really like that as a compromise because if you get stupidly unlucky, you will eventually get the item regardless.
That's really the best option. You can still luck out and get something rare early, but with enough grinding you're guaranteed, and you know that every kill is still concrete progress towards your goal even if it drops nothing.
Monster Hunter could've used something like that for gem and plate hunting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I decided to try expert mode for the first time and I just keep dying over and over and over.

I am not good at this game, maybe I should drop it back down a difficulty level. Only reason I even went with expert is so I can get the goodie bags until 1.4 tmodloader has a stable release and I can just enable the mod that lets goodie bags drop on any difficulty.

As far as drops go, I think that when it comes to various rare pieces of equipment that all do a similar thing, it's fine for them to be rare since you'll likely find some form of whatever kind of equipment item you're looking for, but it's very annoying when items that exist solely as quality of life stuff ends up locked behind a rare drop from a rare enemy.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

On banner chat I do wish every banner placed in the world added a percent or two of damage each bonus to mobs of that banner. I know they do this in proximity, but I wish it was a world-wide buff. It’s make me care about banners again at least.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GodFish posted:

The floating piggy bank is from blood moons.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Saxophone posted:

On banner chat I do wish every banner placed in the world added a percent or two of damage each bonus to mobs of that banner. I know they do this in proximity, but I wish it was a world-wide buff. It’s make me care about banners again at least.

Make it scale differently as well - I don't want 500 banners, I want 1 for 50 kills, 250, 1000, etc.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

FirstAidKite posted:

I decided to try expert mode for the first time and I just keep dying over and over and over.

Early game expert is by far the hardest period and you are pretty much required to abuse mechanics as much as possible. Arenas and kill pits, potions, bombs, and throwables are your bread and butter for a while. Fossil Armor is a fantastic early, easy to get armour set to complement throwing/ranged as well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

luchadornado posted:

Make it scale differently as well - I don't want 500 banners, I want 1 for 50 kills, 250, 1000, etc.
Some of them are fun to decorate with though.

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Some of them are fun to decorate with though.

Would be neat if you get the normal banner every 50 kills, but a unique/upgraded banner for 500, 1k, 5k, etc.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I wish there was a NPC or something I could redeem banners from, instead of having them pop into my inventory when I'm killing a bunch of stuff and probably don't have the space for it.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Or you forget to sort your void bag while you're grinding pumpkings for the sword and there's like 20 in there.
I wish you could start an item stack in there (ores come to mind) and have the game prioritize depositing matching drops in the void bag, leaving your main inventory open for the less frequent pickups, like gear.

MR. J fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 28, 2021

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Saw this on twitter

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I always look at gorgeous, high effort builds like this and spend a minute marveling at how much work went into making them beautiful, and then another minute going "this must be obnoxious to navigate around in" and go back to my crammed together storage and crafting room where everything is smushed into one big box.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I always look at gorgeous, high effort builds like this and spend a minute marveling at how much work went into making them beautiful, and then another minute going "this must be obnoxious to navigate around in" and go back to my crammed together storage and crafting room where everything is smushed into one big box.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2511496232

This one is amazing and a total pain to navigate.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I think the bottom part is purely decorative, at least.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Oh, so you also leave a bunch of glass and mahogany platforms at default jump height in every single room just in case long after you can fly :buddy: :hf: :kiddo:

(The closest thing I have to "effort" is covering 90% of my rooftop in lava and watching it kill more enemies than ground level lava pits ever did because of how enemies spawn :stare: )

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If only blocks could be assigned layers, so that blocks can be passed over or under.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You can sort of do that, for since blocks anyway, with actuators. It only works for some blocks and they look different when inactive though so it's really more of a workaround than a design feature for decoration.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah this is the hell I live in. Whenever my friends and I play I'm always the one doing the builds because I'm the only one who likes doing it, and I always ponder and sometimes even start off with nice looking sprawling village setups or other fancy stuff before realizing that convenience is king and the lovely looking cramped shoebox layouts are by far the best for actually playing the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

Yeah this is the hell I live in. Whenever my friends and I play I'm always the one doing the builds because I'm the only one who likes doing it, and I always ponder and sometimes even start off with nice looking sprawling village setups or other fancy stuff before realizing that convenience is king and the lovely looking cramped shoebox layouts are by far the best for actually playing the game.
A huge tower/warehouse at the spawn makes it easier to make vanity projects in the first place anyways.

Even though I mostly make a godawful giant sideways H shape mounted on top of a greenhouse where the height of style is "Well... it has iridescent bricks and boreal wood instead of generic brick and wood!", I can't imagine stopping to make something as basic as a floating pyramid with sand waterfalls, or adding a fake train station for my rooftop sky rail access, or whatever, without the classic rectangles already stuffed full of chests and every last bit of stone wood and ash I never threw away.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Section Z posted:

A huge tower/warehouse at the spawn makes it easier to make vanity projects in the first place anyways.

Even though I mostly make a godawful giant sideways H shape mounted on top of a greenhouse where the height of style is "Well... it has iridescent bricks and boreal wood instead of generic brick and wood!", I can't imagine stopping to make something as basic as a floating pyramid with sand waterfalls, or adding a fake train station for my rooftop sky rail access, or whatever, without the classic rectangles already stuffed full of chests and every last bit of stone wood and ash I never threw away.

The problem usually arises where once you get the utilitarian brutalist shoebox setup with all of your NPCs and storage and greenhouse going, some basic boss arenas in a couple of biomes, and maybe some other projects like crystal shard or chlorophyte farms, it always feels like there's no incentive to move on to the vanity projects anymore because everything's built and it's not like anyone wants to deal with finding an NPC to buy bullets from in the cool sky pyramid you made anyway. :smith:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The pylons at least encourage spreading out. I'm playing Calamity right now and boy do I miss them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

bij posted:

The pylons at least encourage spreading out. I'm playing Calamity right now and boy do I miss them.
One day, years from now, TModLoader will be out for 1.4, and a few years after that, we might even get Calamity for 1.4. So never give up hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I finally built a decently cool base by just eternally building my shoebox tower higher and higher and building some biospheres off the side of it. Just a huge pile of snow to one side with a couple boreal wood cabins and an ice tower, a huge pile of mud w/ jungle seeds and some mahogany cabins to the other, etc, shifting NPCs out of the tower whenever room opened up. It’s nowhere near as gorgeous as the poo poo posted in this thread, but it feels cooler to come home to than the ol’ utilitarian setup.