Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slorb
May 14, 2002

ShoeFly posted:

lol I just scrolled through my history and turns out I was potentially exposed a week ago, but apparently just have to monitor for symptoms and get tested if I'm unwell. isn't that standard advice already?

Yeah, prior to the delta wave NSW was in line with other states in asking low risk contacts to get tested but now they don't bother. You can see in the attached image how narrow the close contact rules are now, you basically have to be unvaccinated and within a small room or next to an infectious person for more than a minute.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

These charts don't even provide guidance on how many door knob lickers between a positive case and you constitutes low risk.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I don’t think we will be locking down again.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

hambeet posted:

Yaci don't think there's any societal good will for it. Especially given the feds won't support.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

slorb posted:

Yeah, prior to the delta wave NSW was in line with other states in asking low risk contacts to get tested but now they don't bother. You can see in the attached image how narrow the close contact rules are now, you basically have to be unvaccinated and within a small room or next to an infectious person for more than a minute.

Oh cool, so as a fully vaccinated person I can never be a close contact? Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s how covid works.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
dad says sky news told him "nsw will be down to zero cases in a few weeks"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

Sorry about your dad

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

What does the CIA tell him through his teeth?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Animal Friend posted:

To watch sky news obviously

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Animal Friend posted:

the cia have nothing to say to him, but his spirit guide st germaine keeps telling him he's a reincarnated viking warlord

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Hopefully outbreaks now are in double vaccinated people and the worst for them is a few days unwell at home

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hambeet posted:

I can see localized lockdowns in QLD, NT, WA in places with low vax rates that it hasn't spread to yet that get a case or two. Living not to far from Cherbourg (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-20/cherbourg-covid-vaccine-push-as-roadmap-released/100553996) at the moment, and apparently they are seriously considering just quarantining themselves off it gets in this region. Near the top of QLD there is a bunch of places where the vax rate is super low as well. In Melbourne and Sydney though... seems doubtful.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I think most places below 90% will lock down if needed. The obvious exceptions is NSW/Victoria apply of course.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just saw on ABC24 that triple vacc is now the go.

Everyone over 18 can get a third shot as a booster.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just saw on ABC24 that triple vacc is now the go.

Everyone over 18 can get a third shot as a booster.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-greg-hunt-mp/media/tga-approval-for-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-booster-dose-0

Yep. Six months after your second dose you're good to get a booster.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

any specific reason why its a pfizer booster for everyone? i couldnt find anything about why everyone is getting pfizer instead of moderna as a third.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Laserface posted:

any specific reason why its a pfizer booster for everyone? i couldnt find anything about why everyone is getting pfizer instead of moderna as a third.

Seems just first approved. I got double dosed Pfizer, so from what I've read Morderna would actually be a better booster for me.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Laserface posted:

It's what we have plenty of going into next year.

Not sure how much gate keeping there will be of the other vaccines. I'd prefer Moderna myself.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sierra Madre posted:

maybe your child's school has a Tier 1 case and now you have to look after them for two weeks.

This is changed now (at least in Victoria) your kiddo needs to be tested, but then they're good to go with a negative result. They no longer close whole schools for a single infection

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

ShoeFly posted:

Oh cool, so as a fully vaccinated person I can never be a close contact? Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s how covid works.

You're in a country that is testing full blown denialism as a covid strategy

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Yeast posted:

This is changed now (at least in Victoria) your kiddo needs to be tested, but then they're good to go with a negative result. They no longer close whole schools for a single infection

Oh, that's good to know, thank you! I'll have to look that up since I know multiple people who have been hit by that rule.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Even more confused about checking vaccination status after the ABC did an article to clear things up.

Unless the Vic gov site changed in the last ~day I don't see how they arrived at the conclusion retail doesn't need to check vaccination status until 90% double dose.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-28/victorias-vaccinated-economy-retail-change-/100572120

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ho boy the phrase The Australian Way is something I'm already sick of completely

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

ho boy the phrase The Australian Way is something I'm already sick of completely

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
US trying to extradite Assange on espionage charges and assuring that he will be able to serve his term of imprisonment in Australia.

Good to see we're still all in on the US conflating leaks with espionage.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Animal Friend posted:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I agree, EVE online is garbage

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Falon Dafa people are in the city most days handing out flyers saying that the CCP funds The Taliban.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This one was posted up at my Uni. Not sure if I should report it? I guess?

I just took a shot because the "demon CCP" stood out

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

There's no chance this voter ID poo poo will pass the Senate right?

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

freebooter posted:

For anyone not aware:

quote:

Proposed laws that would require eligible voters to show identification before casting a ballot could disenfranchise Indigenous Australians and people experiencing homelessness, advocates have warned.

On Tuesday Guardian Australia revealed the Morrison government will shortly introduce voter identification legislation to crack down on alleged voter fraud.

Labor and the Greens launched stinging rebukes, accusing the government in Senate estimates of pandering to racist constituents and importing US-style voter suppression into Australia.

Under the proposed voter integrity bill, yet to be introduced to parliament, a voter unable to produce ID can still vote if their identity can be verified by another voter, or by casting a declaration vote, which requires further details such as date of birth and a signature.

But opponents warn eligible voters in vulnerable groups may be discouraged or excluded from voting.

quote:

Given One Nation’s support for voter ID laws, the Coalition will need just one vote of the remaining crossbench senators – Stirling Griff, Rex Patrick and Jacqui Lambie – to pass the bill.

Patrick told Guardian Australia he had “no great interest in engaging with the government” on the voter ID bill unless it legislated the Helen Haines model of a national integrity commission.

What a baffling proposal. I mean, we know why this is coming up, but I can't recall any election in the last ten years where voter fraud was even discussed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sierra Madre posted:

What a baffling proposal. I mean, we know why this is coming up, but I can't recall any election in the last ten years where voter fraud was even discussed.

Given how much we import from america, is this really any surprise?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Don't worry Lambie isn't a racist and she can't be bought.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
god i remember at the last federal election some big shaved guy tried way too hard to get me to ask for his id because he seemed convinced that voter fraud was a thing

shout outs to the lady whose deadname was still on the electoral roll by the way

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

the nick xenophobe ego trip will 100% support this

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
.... has there been any voter fraud other than politicans being done by the AEC?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

.... has there been any voter fraud other than politicans being done by the AEC?

I think there was that one old guy who had dementia who voted twice I think it was, because he legit forgot that he had voted?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

Lying, injustice and the Australian Way.

Has a ring to it!

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Yeast posted:

Really? The email sent to me Tuesday says my daughter still needs to isolate for 14 days. The school isn't closed but that class needs to isolate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

the optimist in me tells me that this is getting out ahead and pre-empting any potential fraud bullshit taking hold in our electoral/political system, but that voice is just a doubtful sounding whisper now