Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nutri_void posted:

the work will be fantastic and fulfilling, and don't get me started on the awesome crew that you will inevitably be a part of!

I mean if you become a public defender, that's actually true

you'll just be abused constantly by judges, prosecutors, and your clients. But the work itself is good and your co-workers will be great people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I shot for public defender and ended up bank compliance officer turned real estate lawyer so I guess it isn’t that bad?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Real estate is even better, you don't have to be sober to do mortgage closings.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don’t even do that. I send people letters on behalf of people who are too much of a pussy to tell their neighbors to blow their weed smoke somewhere else.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Then I go home and pack a fat bowl. Go to law school.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Toona the Cat posted:

Then I go home and pack a fat bowl. Go to law school.

This the home you mortgaged to go to law school?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Pook Good Mook posted:

This the home you mortgaged to go to law school?

I...didn't do that?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I am confused, because I thought the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. Now it's tomorrow?

Fortunately, as has been, and always will be, the best time to plant my seed is now.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Vox Nihili posted:

The demand for expendable bodies to grind into dust is actually quite high right now. Probably the highest it's been since pre-2008? Who knows how long that will last, though!

See above. If you were previously on course for an in-house job right out of law school you can probably still land a firm gig. And it will of course suck a great deal. But you will probably get paid more than you would have in the in-house role.

Thank you, I'll give it a shot. I suspect I'm too old for law firms but it doesn't cost me anything to let them confirm that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
PLus you really really don't want to go a long time between law school and getting a legal job. The longer you don't use the degree for something the more wasted that investment becomes.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Toona the Cat posted:

I...didn't do that?

Jesus was that someone else? Sorry. I remember someone coming into the thread to talk about how they could "afford" law school because they owned their home free and clear and took a mortgage to pay tuition.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I mean asking about it isn't the same as doing it. :shrug:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

lol this guy ended up a banker

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
(((I'm))) a lot better at managing other people's money.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah it’s easy to tell people what they should do. It’s why this job is so low stress. Boy I’m so glad I went to law school.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
my job is mostly telling people not do to things and then receiving calls from jail when they inevitably did the thing i told them not to do

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It is always getting worse because pay is always decreasing as workload increases. Twice a year, tens of thousands of new lawyers get admitted across the nation and gleefully fill up poo poo positions for poo poo pay because there is far more supply than demand.

It was a lot less stressful paywise when I worked for the govt despite the lower pay, bc that's how much I hate having to figure out what is the proper way to do billing.

Been at it for a couple mths now and after apparently billing too much now im as timid as a church mouse, scrunched what I really did into much more narrowed 6 min increments. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 30, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Privacy. It's apparently not that unusual to hire someone who can understand the tech stack and has a grasp of privacy laws but needs training as a lawyer.

Privacy, and ppl that can handle data contracts is the big growth industry in law right now I think.

That, and tumors

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

I mean if you become a public defender, that's actually true

you'll just be abused constantly by judges, prosecutors, and your clients. But the work itself is good and your co-workers will be great people!

Can confirm.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Shageletic posted:

Privacy, and ppl that can handle data contracts is the big growth industry in law right now I think.

That, and tumors

Privacy is booming. If you are in anything that can be even remotely adjacent to privacy, I would suggest considering a move to privacy.

The IAPP puts out a salary survey each year which kind of tells the growth story: https://iapp.org/resources/article/2021-iapp-privacy-professionals-salary-survey-executive-summary/

edit: If you would like any privacy career tips, please PM me!

merk fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 28, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

merk posted:

Privacy is booming. If you are in anything that can be even remotely adjacent to privacy, I would suggest considering a move to privacy.

The IAPP puts out a salary survey each year which kind of tells the growth story: https://iapp.org/resources/article/2021-iapp-privacy-professionals-salary-survey-executive-summary/

edit: If you would like any privacy career tips, please PM me!

Have a CAMS and thinking of taking a CIPP certification. Is it worth it?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

you dont technically have to be sober to perform any legal services

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Judges tend to frown when you show up drunk to court following a dui hit and run.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If nothing else, it might make it harder to convince the jury that the field sobriety tests are bullshit.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

If nothing else, it might make it harder to convince the jury that the field sobriety tests are bullshit.

Psh not if you tell them you drove to court drunk every day and nobody noticed.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Shageletic posted:

Have a CAMS and thinking of taking a CIPP certification. Is it worth it?

If you want a gig in privacy, yes. The CIPP/US is the go-to certification.

I should disclose that I am IAPP faculty (a trainer) so I’m kind of shilling.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Can vouch that there's also good money to be made if you can speak GDPR to American audiences.

Hot Dog Day #38
May 16, 2004

Toona the Cat posted:

I shot for public defender and ended up bank compliance officer turned real estate lawyer so I guess it isn’t that bad?

I shot for public defender and now I'm in-house at a tech company.

I think I even posted in this thread back in like 2013 or 2014 when I was interning for the Federal Public Defender.

Go to law school kids.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Holy poo poo its another Hot Dog Day. For that matter, it's been forever since I've seen a Dr Video Games.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

JohnCompany posted:

Can vouch that there's also good money to be made if you can speak GDPR to American audiences.

poo poo hook me up dawg, I like data protection in general on the reg and I can speak american. Blockchain. Don't tread on me. Support are troops.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #38 posted:

I think I even posted in this thread back in like 2013 or 2014 when I was interning for the Federal Public Defender.

Go to law school kids.

This feels like identity theft.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hot Dog Day #38 posted:

Go to law school kids.

You mother fucker....

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

merk posted:

If you want a gig in privacy, yes. The CIPP/US is the go-to certification.

I should disclose that I am IAPP faculty (a trainer) so I’m kind of shilling.

Alright taking it next year like January.

Thank you thread you made me take another test

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hot Dog Day #38 posted:

Go to law school kids.

I was stuck in the bowels of doc review then

And lol now I'm in tech a success story over here

Ah poo poo gotta start paying back my 200k fed debt in january

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Shageletic posted:

Alright taking it next year like January.

Thank you thread you made me take another test

Very cool! Hit me up if you need help.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I’ve found being a lawyer pretty okay on the whole.

Lawdog69 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 31, 2021

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Lawdog69 posted:

I’ve found being a lawyer pretty okay on the whole.

Terrifying.

On that note: This year's socially distanced Halloween party is in the law discord. Bring yourself and have a spooky time shitposting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Can I get a link to the discord? I am a lawyer and would like to lawyer with other lawyers in the lawyer chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

merk posted:

Can I get a link to the discord? I am a lawyer and would like to lawyer with other lawyers in the lawyer chat.

How can we be sure? Speak some magic law words to convince the Elders of the Internet.