Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I could genuinely see the reason Q messes a bit Mariner (but not that seriously) being because she sassed him good one time on the Enterprise-D when she was 14 and he was there to annoy Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I could genuinely see the reason Q messes a bit Mariner (but not that seriously) being because she sassed him good one time on the Enterprise-D when she was 14.

It's probably a rerun of the Janeway situation. "I merely put up with all these other imbeciles and assholes, but you? You're the one I genuinely like."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MikeJF posted:

I would argue that he wasn't rooting for humanity the first few times but got invested in them without intending to very quickly.
Ooh! I really like that reading.

nine-gear crow posted:

I've long argued that Q presents himself as humanity's judge and executioner, but in reality he's actually humanity's defense attorney, and even he doesn't realize it sometimes.
:stare:

Holy poo poo that's such an excellent way of putting it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I have finished Enterprise.

I'm mad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

a neat cape posted:

I'm mad.

You have joined a very big club my friend.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

a neat cape posted:

I'm mad.

welcome, friend

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

a neat cape posted:

I'm mad.

I told you you’d laugh or be mad when you found out who Chef was.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As we always say, Terra Prime was a perfectly fine finale and I don't know what you're talking about.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

at least it gave us this (lower decks spoilers)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 28, 2021

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Ooh! I really like that reading.

:stare:

Holy poo poo that's such an excellent way of putting it.

And the moment of the switch was when Picard admitted they were in over their heads and said "I need you!" in "Q Who".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

As we always say, Terra Prime was a perfectly fine finale and I don't know what you're talking about.
This

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

a neat cape posted:

I'm mad.

Don't worry, you'll forget 90% of it within 6 months.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Picard is the love of Q's life. Sisko just never clicked with him and ghosted him. Janeway is the one person in the universe who Q considers a legitimate friend. And he desperately wants to hang out with Mariner in order to seem hip and with it, but she's way too cool for him so he just settles for bugging her mom instead.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I would exterminate the Borg with the same care I'd give to a bunch of termites.

I would not exterminate the Founders because I'm concerned how many peer states may view it, but I would not have interfered with existing Federation operations to exterminate the Founders.

Sisko was wrong to trick the Romulans by murdering their diplomat after attempting to feed them falsified data.

The Federation should have killed every Jem'Hadar that assisted in retaking that magic portal from the other Jem'Hadar, then used it exactly like the rogue Jem'Hadar were doing.

Colonel West was right.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

sisko's plan was only to try to give them fake information to get them into the war. he didn't realize that garak had thought 3 steps ahead and knew there was no good way to make authentic looking datarods so he would then assassinate the senator and use the explosion to explain why the datarod looked so lovely. sisko's plan and involvement were a patsy affair, there was no way garak was going to get an audience with vreenak he needed federation authority to get that kind of access to him and his ship

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Garak doesn't trick the Romulans. He murders the guy and says "now you can trick them."

Sisko makes the decision not to tell Romulus the truth.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Paper Lion posted:

sisko's plan was only to try to give them fake information to get them into the war. he didn't realize that garak had thought 3 steps ahead and knew there was no good way to make authentic looking datarods so he would then assassinate the senator and use the explosion to explain why the datarod looked so lovely. sisko's plan and involvement were a patsy affair, there was no way garak was going to get an audience with vreenak he needed federation authority to get that kind of access to him and his ship

"You killed him!"
"That's right!"
"You knew that rod wouldn't pass inspection! You just wanted to get Senator Vreenak on the station so you could plant a bomb on his shuttle!"
"It wasn't quite that simple! I had hopes that the rod would pass inspection, but I suspected that Tolar wasn't quite up to the task."

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

yeah but he can live with it

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Sash! posted:

I would exterminate the Borg with the same care I'd give to a bunch of termites.

I would not exterminate the Founders because I'm concerned how many peer states may view it, but I would not have interfered with existing Federation operations to exterminate the Founders.

Sisko was wrong to trick the Romulans by murdering their diplomat after attempting to feed them falsified data.

The Federation should have killed every Jem'Hadar that assisted in retaking that magic portal from the other Jem'Hadar, then used it exactly like the rogue Jem'Hadar were doing.

Colonel West was right.

I didn't know Henry Kissinger had an SA account.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

yeah thats crazy

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'd consider the argument that the Borg, being a collective, would be as justifiable as assassinating Hitler.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Assassinating Hitler while he was wearing a suit of armour made out of babies!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Newborgs are always so sweet

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching TNG for the first time, but to be honest I'm mostly skipping a lot of episodes and watching those that I think will be more about the Sci-Fi than about building the Trek universe and politics.

I say that just to make clear that I'm operating with incomplete information.

Is it just me or does the show really lean into the crew's romantic lives in season 4-5? I know that Trek has always been Horny, but it just feels like in season 4-5 any time the Enterprise runs into a new entity/phenomenon, at least 50% of the story is about how this affects the love life of someone in the crew.

Enterprise performs a c-section on a space whale? Let's spend 50% of the episode exploring Geordi's creepy infatuation with Brahms.

Q reappears? Kidnaps Vash to teach Picard a lesson.

First time encountering a Trill? Beverly's in love with it.

The crew gets their memories erased? Riker is now horny for two women.

I'm just curious if that's just my imagination and the show was always that way, or maybe I'm just cherry picking.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Sash! posted:

Garak doesn't trick the Romulans. He murders the guy and says "now you can trick them."

Sisko makes the decision not to tell Romulus the truth.

yes, but youve moved the goalposts from "sisko killed the senator" which he emphatically did not do and had nothing to do with. sure he could have come clean, but with the weight of all the deaths he sees every week on the space postit board and knowing theyre losing the war, and with the set up already done for him by someone else, why not play dumb and live with it? he can live with it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

Colonel West was right.

Most everyone that thinks this way dies in world war III and the Vulcans uplift the survivors leaving only small and disparate groups of assholes and lovely admirals within the federation and Starfleet

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Tighclops posted:

Most everyone that thinks this way dies in world war III and the Vulcans uplift the survivors leaving only small and disparate groups of assholes and lovely admirals within the federation and Starfleet

This reminds me about how Riker says there are 600 million dead after WW3, and how low that always seemed to me for a global nuclear super-conflict. Not that its not a lot, but still, I would think it'd have been higher.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Given how many of those people are in the positions of power inside the Federation itself, seems like plenty of us survived.

Probably because we're the grim underbelly of human nature that you can't get rid of because we're ultimately a species of predators, no matter how much jazz you try to play on a luxury liner in space.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sash! posted:

Given how many of those people are in the positions of power inside the Federation itself, seems like plenty of us survived.

Probably because we're the grim underbelly of human nature that you can't get rid of because we're ultimately a species of predators, no matter how much jazz you try to play on a luxury liner in space.

Guess its a good thing the protagonists generally make their living stopping you then.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Having watched TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT and having no real desire to watch anything else, I made lists

I made lists.

Top 5 TNG Episodes:

1. Tapestry
2. Inner Light
3. Chains of Command
4. Best of Both Worlds
5. All Good Things

Top 5 DS9

1. In the Pale Moonlight
2. It's Only a Paper Moon
3. The Visitor
4. Far Beyond the Stars
5. Duet

Top 5 Voyager:

1. Year of Hell
2. Night
3. Scorpion
4. Timeless
5. Living Witness

Top 5 Enterprise

1. Shuttlepod One
2. In a Mirror Darkly
3. Demons
4. Dear Doctor
5. Similitude

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

Guess its a good thing the protagonists generally make their living stopping you then.

Fuckin' A 👊

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm surprised Dear Doctor is up there, the absolutely questionable ethics and silly science make it one of my least favorites. Archer is right and Phlox is wrong. They should've given the cure to those people instead of let them die horribly because maybe the other race on the planet will 'over take'. It's horrid. Just peak Berman era misunderstanding of the Prime Directive. I hate it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Having watched TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT and having no real desire to watch anything else, I made lists

I made lists.

Top 5 TNG Episodes:

1. Tapestry
2. Inner Light
3. Chains of Command
4. Best of Both Worlds
5. All Good Things

Top 5 DS9

1. In the Pale Moonlight
2. It's Only a Paper Moon
3. The Visitor
4. Far Beyond the Stars
5. Duet

Top 5 Voyager:

1. Year of Hell
2. Night
3. Scorpion
4. Timeless
5. Living Witness

Top 5 Enterprise

1. Shuttlepod One
2. In a Mirror Darkly
3. Demons
4. Dear Doctor
5. Similitude

All great choices from each respective series. I'd strongly suggest checking out Lower Decks, especially if you made it through all of 90s/00s Trek unscathed and it's still fresh in your mind. I think you'd get a kick out of it. Picard is incredibly polarizing but there's some legitimately good stuff mixed in with all its missteps. I don't blame for not wanting to bother with Discovery though.

Congrats regardless. You made it! :buddy:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
ST: Picard fundamentally killed my lifelong interest in the entire Star Trek universe and it is for that reason that I will warn anyone away from it at any opportunity. Like, it was the final slug through my heart after being riddled with bullets but still. poo poo's terrible, no redeeming qualities after the first two episodes or so. Go watch Dune instead.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lower Decks is good and Dune is good.

It's Only a Paper Moon does not deserve top 5 status.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I love Vic Fontaine, pally.

DS9 was insanely hard to pick 5

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

This reminds me about how Riker says there are 600 million dead after WW3, and how low that always seemed to me for a global nuclear super-conflict. Not that its not a lot, but still, I would think it'd have been higher.
I kinda assume that the Eugenics Wars in the 1990s were damaging enough to the nations of Earth that they never really recovered, and the first half of the 21st century was a slow, irregular decline. While WW3 went nuclear, nobody had either the missile stockpile or the organizational competence of the Cold War superpowers to properly escalate into full-out nuclear war. Some cities and bases get toasted, but the nuclear exchange doesn't escalate much further due to coups, mutinies, or the missiles not launching because the equipment is breaking down, and most of the deaths are due to national governments and supply chains breaking down. (Of course, Trek has been so inconsistent with the course of Earth history between the late 1960s and first contact a century later that there's no way to reconcile all the events the shows have depicted into a single coherent timeline.)

Tighclops posted:

ST: Picard fundamentally killed my lifelong interest in the entire Star Trek universe and it is for that reason that I will warn anyone away from it at any opportunity. Like, it was the final slug through my heart after being riddled with bullets but still. poo poo's terrible, no redeeming qualities after the first two episodes or so. Go watch Dune instead.

There's room for a Ben Shapiro joke, but I'm in the same boat. PIC and LDS were the one-two punch that knocked out any hope that there would be something about this modern iteration of Trek I actually like, and the only bit of Trek media I still engage with regularly is Star Trek Online, which at this point I'm playing solely to tick off boxes. And yet I'm still posting in this thread, a slave to my dispassions.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tighclops posted:

Picard and Discovery are hate watches for me, just to see how they gently caress things up.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Tighclops posted:

Patrick Stewart, ruining Star Trek for you:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I blame the teeming hordes of faceless, creatively bankrupt and doubtlessly coke-addled producers and executives made and encouraged by our monstrous economic system