Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mycomancy posted:

That "vaccines won't save you from long COVID" preprint is some clickbait headline bullshit and all y'all worried because of it need to take a breath and read the loving paper! It says straight up that one shot will keep you from getting seriously hosed up, while two keeps most poor outcomes at bay.

Don't be D&D smoothbrains, read more than the headline!

Is organizing a furry convention harder than it looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

mod sassinator posted:

feed kitty teh nuggets

I fed my cat Mcdonalds nugs once and now I can't bring nuggets in the house. She's like a loving Mogwai after midnight

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah.

The other day I was thinking that perhaps the reason that the CDC/FDA dragged their feet on the child vax for so long is because opening up another segment will make the vax percentage look worse.

They'll just continue to only report decent looking numbers. Right now both my hyper conservative grandma and my less politically interested but still definitely liberal mother talk about how things are looking better because we see less reported cases and because vaccines administered numbers in the state are going up. Of course they are both ignoring death and ICU occupancy numbers, those aren't directly reported in the news they watch. And they don't bother to think about how our recent bump in vaxes-given numbers are largely boosters and the % of unvaccinated people remains largely unmoved, or to think about how we've lowered the amount of testing again again again. So the numbers that they see are designed to look better than they are, they're still calling people who got their second shot 6-8 months ago fully vaxed right? That will continue whenever kids start getting vaxed.

45% of all children are already vaccinated in this first week!*

*of course we aren't counting kids who aren't full time public school students, or 12 and over, why would we

something like that

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

McNugget Buddy posted:

Is organizing a furry convention harder than it looks

ya but chise is just GOH which is reasonably easy and is tons of fun

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
people keep posting "what if there's a test evading variant" when this story is right there

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1453700913869250572

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

mycomancy posted:

That "vaccines won't save you from long COVID" preprint is some clickbait headline bullshit and all y'all worried because of it need to take a breath and read the loving paper! It says straight up that one shot will keep you from getting seriously hosed up, while two keeps most poor outcomes at bay.

no

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

skewetoo posted:

Going to a restaurant right now (during a global plague) is some real psycho poo poo right?

I'm not crazy am I?

People around me are doing it like it's nbd and it's breaking my smooth brain

If you're vaxxed up and eat outside you'll be fine

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

skewetoo posted:

Going to a restaurant right now (during a global plague) is some real psycho poo poo right?

I'm not crazy am I?

People around me are doing it like it's nbd and it's breaking my smooth brain

There are concerts and 100k+ attendence sporting events happening daily. Your individual choices have little to no impact on the amount of spread we are seeing. If you are not in contact with at risk people, the risk you are taking is to yourself.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mycomancy posted:

Yeah it keeps most of the poor non long covid outcomes away.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Sometimes the seal on my secureclick isn't perfect. Should I put something on my face to get a better seal or maybe just try a different size?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dren posted:

Sometimes the seal on my secureclick isn't perfect. Should I put something on my face to get a better seal or maybe just try a different size?

You should shave off your goon beard

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Thoguh posted:

Lmao some friends of mine went to Dune in the theater last weekend. They are boosted and have no kids so whatever, I'm not gonna yell at them. But somebody posted a picture on facebook of them their with some people that brought their one month old baby to see Dune in a theater last weekend. I just can't wrap my head around that. Like, pandemic aside who the gently caress brings a one month old baby to a long and loud movie. But also, pandemic.

A beginning is a very delicate time.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

mycomancy posted:

I did; could you describe how this statement is not something to be concerned about, if we assume for now that the study survives review? What exactly is your criteria for "seriously hosed up" and definition of what "most poor outcomes" means?

quote:

On the other hand, previous vaccination does not appear to be protective against several previously documented outcomes of COVID-19 such as long-COVID features, arrhythmia, joint pain, type 2 diabetes, liver disease, sleep disorders, and mood and anxiety disorders. The narrow confidence intervals (related to the high incidence of these outcomes post-COVID) rules out the possibility that these negative findings are merely a result of lack of statistical power.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Cloaked posted:

I did; could you describe how this statement is not something to be concerned about, if we assume for now that the study survives review? What exactly is your criteria for "seriously hosed up" and definition of what "most poor outcomes" means?

I just watched Tuesdays episode of Impeachment and because I was a teenager I did not realize everything hinged on a very specific definition of "sexual relations" being the crux of his defense from perjury.

What are considered poor outcomes? Is it, once again, only 'severe' covid? Death? Does long covid have a clinical definition so that it can even be included in outcomes? What is your definition of 'is'?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

As opposed to the long term effects of COVID19 in children, all of which are studied and well known.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

As opposed to the long term effects of COVID19 in children, all of which are studied and well known.

I'm starting to think this Covid thing is actually a big deal

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

nah covid is over

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mdemone posted:

I'm starting to think this Covid thing is actually a big deal

:wrong:

The good news of Open Biden tells us that through Biden all things are possible, and COVID is over.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

You should shave off your goon beard

I shave every day so I can get the best seal. 24 hours of stubble ruins the seal.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

This is really gonna cut into Pfizer's profit. People like this can gently caress OFF.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Insanite posted:

https://twitter.com/jakebackpack/status/1453707313047613452?s=20

love this genre of story. can you imagine living with the oppression of covid zero?

efb, but will leave it up for the browsing over coffee crew

Can someone please copy and paste this, I'm paywalled and phone posting and want to read dumb American opinions.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

supply is my kink

demand is my fetish

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Ooooh yeah, supply my demands baby

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Can someone please copy and paste this, I'm paywalled and phone posting and want to read dumb American opinions.

Vivian Wang posted:

The trip began in Shanghai, where the couple, both former professors, joined a tour group of other retirees. They traveled through Gansu Province and Inner Mongolia, staying at a bed-and-breakfast and eating three times at the same lamb chop restaurant. Flying south to Xi’an, they dropped in to a 1,300-year-old temple. Their fellow tour group members checked out an art museum, strolled through parks and visited friends.

Then, on Oct. 16, the day they had planned to visit the Terracotta Warriors, the couple tested positive for the coronavirus.

Since then, China has locked down a city of 4 million, as well as several smaller cities and parts of Beijing, to contain a fresh outbreak that has infected more than 240 people in at least 11 provinces and regions. The authorities have shuttered schools and tourist sites. Government websites have detailed every movement of the unlucky couple and their sprawling web of contacts, including what time they checked into hotels and on which floors of restaurants they sat.

The no-holds-barred response is emblematic of China’s “zero Covid” policy, which has served the country remarkably well: China has reported fewer than 5,000 deaths since the pandemic began. The scale of the new outbreak, while tiny compared to many other countries, is large for China.

But the policy has also, increasingly, made China an outlier. The rest of the world is reopening, including New Zealand and Australia, which also once embraced zero tolerance. China is now the only country still chasing full eradication of the virus.

“Every locality should firmly adhere to the policy of ‘Defend externally against importation, defend internally against rebound,’” Mi Feng, a spokesman for the National Health Commission, said at a news conference on Sunday. “The current control measures cannot be relaxed.”

The government’s strict strategy is the product of a uniquely Chinese set of calculations. Its thriving exports have helped to keep the economy afloat. The ruling Communist Party’s tight grip on power enables lockdowns and testing to be carried out with astonishing efficiency. Beijing is set to host the Winter Olympics in February.

For many Chinese, the low case numbers have become a source of national pride. Xi Jinping, China’s leader, has repeatedly pointed to the country’s success in containment as proof of the superiority of its governance model.

But experts — both in China and abroad — have warned that the approach is unsustainable. China may find itself increasingly isolated, diplomatically and economically, at a time when global public opinion is hardening against it.

“The regime thinks it needs to maintain a ‘zero Covid’ policy to maintain its legitimacy,” said Lynette Ong, a political scientist at the University of Toronto. “At a huge cost, though.”

In the early phase of the pandemic, the Chinese Communist Party’s very hold on power seemed to hinge on its ability to control the virus. Its initial attempts to cover up the outbreak in Wuhan gave rise to a stunning outpouring of public anger. Images of overwhelmed hospitals and patients begging for help flooded the Chinese internet.

As the virus barreled across the rest of the world, that narrative changed. China’s strict lockdowns and mass testing campaigns, once criticized as heavy handed, became models for other countries. As deaths mounted in western democracies, Mr. Xi repeatedly emphasized how quickly China had flattened its caseload. Outrage about the initial response to Wuhan gave way to at-times strident nationalism.

Other countries that adopted “zero Covid” policies were hailed as models of competent governance that prioritized saving lives over convenience and economic growth.

As the virus has dragged into its second year, and with the onset of the far more contagious Delta variant, countries are again reconsidering their strategies. Australia, which was home to the world’s longest lockdown, is scrapping quarantine requirements for vaccinated residents returning from overseas. New Zealand formally abandoned its quest for zero this month. Singapore is offering quarantine-free travel to vaccinated tourists from Germany, the United States, France and several other countries.

China has refused to change tack. When Zhang Wenhong, a prominent infectious disease expert from Shanghai, suggested this summer that China learn to live with the virus, he was attacked viciously online as a lackey of foreigners. A former Chinese health minister called such a mindset reckless.

Professor Ong said the government was afraid of any challenge to its narrative of pandemic triumph.

“Outbreaks have become so commonplace that it’s really a non-event,” she said. “But the Chinese authorities want to control any small potential source of instability.”

There are also more practical reasons for China’s hesitation. Medical resources are highly concentrated in big cities, and more remote areas could quickly be overwhelmed by an uptick in cases, said Zhang Jun, an urban studies scholar at the City University of Hong Kong.

In addition, though China has achieved a relatively high full inoculation rate, at 75 percent of its population, questions have emerged about the efficacy of its homegrown vaccines.

And, at least for now, the elimination strategy appears to enjoy public support. While residents in locked-down areas have complained about seemingly arbitrary or overly harsh restrictions on social media, travel is relatively unconstrained in areas without cases. Wealthy consumers have poured money into luxury goods and fancy cars since they’re not spending on trips abroad.

“As long as they can still feel a certain level of freedom of mobility, I think that kind of Covid-zero policy doesn’t strike the domestic audience as too severe,” Professor Zhang said.

Other governments that have chosen to live with the virus may yet lose their nerve. After lifting many restrictions this summer, Singapore reinstated them in September amid a spike in infections. (Still, the government is moving forward with travel lanes.)

But experts agree that the costs of expecting zero cases will hit eventually. China’s economic growth is slowing, and domestic travel during a weeklong holiday earlier this month fell below last year’s levels, as a cluster of new cases spooked tourists. Retail sales have proven fitful, recovering and ebbing with waves of the virus.

The country may also suffer diplomatically. Mr. Xi has not left China or received foreign visitors since early 2020, even as other world leaders prepare to gather in Rome for a Group of 20 summit and Glasgow for climate talks.

China’s hard-nosed approach is also trickling down to Hong Kong, the semi-autonomous territory and global financial hub. In trying to align their own Covid prevention policies with the mainland’s, Hong Kong’s leaders have introduced the world’s longest quarantine, ignoring escalating warnings from business leaders about an exodus of foreign firms.

And even those supportive of the restrictions wonder whether there is an exit strategy.

“I think the current policies are still in the right direction,” said Jason Qiu, 27, who grew up in Gansu Province, not far from Lanzhou, the city of 4 million now under lockdown. “But if things go on like this for a long time — for example if the pandemic is going to continue for another five or 10 years, or become endemic — maybe it would be time to consider changing some measures.”

In a potential nod to those concerns, some officials have broached the idea of loosening restrictions, though cautiously. Gao Fu, the head of China’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a recent interview with Chinese media that once the country reached an 85 percent vaccination rate, “why shouldn’t we open up?”

Until then, those stranded by the lockdowns have been trying to make the best of their situations. State news outlets have reported that roughly 10,000 tourists are trapped in Ejin Banner, a region of Inner Mongolia, after the emergence of cases led to a lockdown. As consolation, the local tourism association has promised them free entry to three popular tourist attractions, redeemable within the next three years.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1453812563221770264

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my wife dropped this "wait and see" poo poo on me yesterday and I'm just too tired to even talk about it. it doesn't really matter to me because we don't go anywhere anyway but still.

Well I'm excited for that SPS thing you posted yesterday, if it works out, seems like it might be fastest way to get my kids vaxxed.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

edit, gently caress beaten oh well it stays

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Why China Is the World’s Last ‘Zero Covid’ Holdout
The government has staked its political legitimacy on controlling the virus better than other countries, especially its geopolitical rivals.

By Vivian Wang

Published Oct. 27, 2021Updated Oct. 28, 2021, 5:46 a.m. ET
The trip began in Shanghai, where the couple, both former professors, joined a tour group of other retirees. They traveled through Gansu Province and Inner Mongolia, staying at a bed-and-breakfast and eating three times at the same lamb chop restaurant. Flying south to Xi’an, they dropped in to a 1,300-year-old temple. Their fellow tour group members checked out an art museum, strolled through parks and visited friends.

Then, on Oct. 16, the day they had planned to visit the Terracotta Warriors, the couple tested positive for the coronavirus.

Since then, China has locked down a city of 4 million, as well as several smaller cities and parts of Beijing, to contain a fresh outbreak that has infected more than 240 people in at least 11 provinces and regions. The authorities have shuttered schools and tourist sites. Government websites have detailed every movement of the unlucky couple and their sprawling web of contacts, including what time they checked into hotels and on which floors of restaurants they sat.

The no-holds-barred response is emblematic of China’s “zero Covid” policy, which has served the country remarkably well: China has reported fewer than 5,000 deaths since the pandemic began. The scale of the new outbreak, while tiny compared to many other countries, is large for China.

But the policy has also, increasingly, made China an outlier. The rest of the world is reopening, including New Zealand and Australia, which also once embraced zero tolerance. China is now the only country still chasing full eradication of the virus.

“Every locality should firmly adhere to the policy of ‘Defend externally against importation, defend internally against rebound,’” Mi Feng, a spokesman for the National Health Commission, said at a news conference on Sunday. “The current control measures cannot be relaxed.”

The government’s strict strategy is the product of a uniquely Chinese set of calculations. Its thriving exports have helped to keep the economy afloat. The ruling Communist Party’s tight grip on power enables lockdowns and testing to be carried out with astonishing efficiency. Beijing is set to host the Winter Olympics in February.

For many Chinese, the low case numbers have become a source of national pride. Xi Jinping, China’s leader, has repeatedly pointed to the country’s success in containment as proof of the superiority of its governance model.

But experts — both in China and abroad — have warned that the approach is unsustainable. China may find itself increasingly isolated, diplomatically and economically, at a time when global public opinion is hardening against it.

“The regime thinks it needs to maintain a ‘zero Covid’ policy to maintain its legitimacy,” said Lynette Ong, a political scientist at the University of Toronto. “At a huge cost, though.”

In the early phase of the pandemic, the Chinese Communist Party’s very hold on power seemed to hinge on its ability to control the virus. Its initial attempts to cover up the outbreak in Wuhan gave rise to a stunning outpouring of public anger. Images of overwhelmed hospitals and patients begging for help flooded the Chinese internet.

As the virus barreled across the rest of the world, that narrative changed. China’s strict lockdowns and mass testing campaigns, once criticized as heavy handed, became models for other countries. As deaths mounted in western democracies, Mr. Xi repeatedly emphasized how quickly China had flattened its caseload. Outrage about the initial response to Wuhan gave way to at-times strident nationalism.

Other countries that adopted “zero Covid” policies were hailed as models of competent governance that prioritized saving lives over convenience and economic growth.

As the virus has dragged into its second year, and with the onset of the far more contagious Delta variant, countries are again reconsidering their strategies. Australia, which was home to the world’s longest lockdown, is scrapping quarantine requirements for vaccinated residents returning from overseas. New Zealand formally abandoned its quest for zero this month. Singapore is offering quarantine-free travel to vaccinated tourists from Germany, the United States, France and several other countries.

China has refused to change tack. When Zhang Wenhong, a prominent infectious disease expert from Shanghai, suggested this summer that China learn to live with the virus, he was attacked viciously online as a lackey of foreigners. A former Chinese health minister called such a mindset reckless.

Professor Ong said the government was afraid of any challenge to its narrative of pandemic triumph.

“Outbreaks have become so commonplace that it’s really a non-event,” she said. “But the Chinese authorities want to control any small potential source of instability.”

There are also more practical reasons for China’s hesitation. Medical resources are highly concentrated in big cities, and more remote areas could quickly be overwhelmed by an uptick in cases, said Zhang Jun, an urban studies scholar at the City University of Hong Kong.

In addition, though China has achieved a relatively high full inoculation rate, at 75 percent of its population, questions have emerged about the efficacy of its homegrown vaccines.

And, at least for now, the elimination strategy appears to enjoy public support. While residents in locked-down areas have complained about seemingly arbitrary or overly harsh restrictions on social media, travel is relatively unconstrained in areas without cases. Wealthy consumers have poured money into luxury goods and fancy cars since they’re not spending on trips abroad.

“As long as they can still feel a certain level of freedom of mobility, I think that kind of Covid-zero policy doesn’t strike the domestic audience as too severe,” Professor Zhang said.

Other governments that have chosen to live with the virus may yet lose their nerve. After lifting many restrictions this summer, Singapore reinstated them in September amid a spike in infections. (Still, the government is moving forward with travel lanes.)

But experts agree that the costs of expecting zero cases will hit eventually. China’s economic growth is slowing, and domestic travel during a weeklong holiday earlier this month fell below last year’s levels, as a cluster of new cases spooked tourists. Retail sales have proven fitful, recovering and ebbing with waves of the virus.

The country may also suffer diplomatically. Mr. Xi has not left China or received foreign visitors since early 2020, even as other world leaders prepare to gather in Rome for a Group of 20 summit and Glasgow for climate talks.

China’s hard-nosed approach is also trickling down to Hong Kong, the semi-autonomous territory and global financial hub. In trying to align their own Covid prevention policies with the mainland’s, Hong Kong’s leaders have introduced the world’s longest quarantine, ignoring escalating warnings from business leaders about an exodus of foreign firms.

And even those supportive of the restrictions wonder whether there is an exit strategy.

“I think the current policies are still in the right direction,” said Jason Qiu, 27, who grew up in Gansu Province, not far from Lanzhou, the city of 4 million now under lockdown. “But if things go on like this for a long time — for example if the pandemic is going to continue for another five or 10 years, or become endemic — maybe it would be time to consider changing some measures.”

In a potential nod to those concerns, some officials have broached the idea of loosening restrictions, though cautiously. Gao Fu, the head of China’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a recent interview with Chinese media that once the country reached an 85 percent vaccination rate, “why shouldn’t we open up?”

Until then, those stranded by the lockdowns have been trying to make the best of their situations. State news outlets have reported that roughly 10,000 tourists are trapped in Ejin Banner, a region of Inner Mongolia, after the emergence of cases led to a lockdown. As consolation, the local tourism association has promised them free entry to three popular tourist attractions, redeemable within the next three years.

Liu Yi and Joy Dong contributed research.

textise bolded what's bolded for some reason.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

NYT posted:

Lmao attacking Xi for being WFH

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Interrupting the crackpings and lmaos to thank the op for this

Be Healthy - KF94 masks for sale
Goon recommended: Bluna Facefit

my wife subs and I just found out my town is about to host a international festival of 100s of thousands, my wife doesn't like the kn95 respirators because they scare the kids and these are more colorful and are a really good compromise. Probably saved my wife's life and probably a few kids ty.

loving hell I need to get all three of us boosted with moderna(all of us double pfizered late in the season but titers are probably demaxxing as we speak)

I LOVE OPENING MY loving LOCAL NEWS ANNOUNCING ABOMB TESTING DOWNTOWN THIS WINTERJKLAfaks;dl/gfd./,asmg/.,zxc.,mnvm ,m.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

CAN"T BELIEVE COUMMMUNSIT HELLL CHINA FORCING COVID FREE "LIFESTYLE" DOWN CITIZAENS THROATS KJALK:FJKL:sdfjnk;lsadnlkfv z.x;alkththghhag

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Crazypoops posted:

CAN"T BELIEVE COUMMMUNSIT HELLL CHINA FORCING COVID FREE "LIFESTYLE" DOWN CITIZAENS THROATS KJALK:FJKL:sdfjnk;lsadnlkfv z.x;alkththghhag

smoke weed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
that nyt article is the perfect illustration of what spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt looks like.

aside: secure click and rain — how??

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lmao thanks dudes. Today is Melbourne freedom day part deux where we open up even harder and it's nice to have some western capitalist propaganda to ensure we aren't doing the wrong thing (we are).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Of course Iowa is getting in on the redstate bullshit about employers not being allowed to have vaccine mandates.

https://twitter.com/SarahforIowa/status/1453744211090628612?s=20

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cloaked posted:

Ok, it's time for the C-SPAM COVID Doomer Journal Club! (link to the article here)

Methods

quote:

In the primary cohort, patients were included only if their confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection occurred at least 14 days after a recorded administration of a COVID-19 vaccine approved for use in the USA (i.e. BNT162b2 ‘Pfizer/BioNTech’, mRNA-1273 ‘Moderna’, or Ad26.COV2.S ‘Janssen’). In the control cohort, patients were included only if no recorded vaccine against COVID-19 was recorded before their SARS-CoV-2 infection and if they had received a vaccine against influenza at any time.

I have issues with these cohort choices. First, 14 days is NOT enough time for vaccines to spin up antibodies, and they're not doing a comparison against "fully vaccinated" and "not vaccinated." Thus, a lot of these people being tagged as vaccinated well could be in the window where they have Min Titers and thus are effectively unvaccinated. Second, their flu shot metric is clever but it really needs a time limit. ANY flu vaccine EVER is a poo poo metric, as people can change over years or decades as they get poisoned by the internet or right-wing radio. Thus they may have gotten a flu vaccine in 2011 but now they're eating horse paste and running around without a mask. Third, they mix vaccine types by including the J&J vaccine, which has lower effectiveness against Delta. Since these data are taken during the Delta peak earlier this summer, those J&J folk could be functionally unvaccinated in terms of long COVID responses.

This is poor experimental design in my professional opinion, and if I reviewed this paper I'd reject it straight away because of these problems, full stop, do not pass go, do not collect a publication. They should fix it by 1) getting the J&j vaxx the gently caress outta here, 2) extending the breakthrough infection window out to 2 months post second dose of mRNA vaccine, and 3) narrowing the window of flu vaccination to 2018 and after.

Results

quote:

Among them, 65.1% were vaccinated with BNT162b2 ‘Pfizer/BioNTech’, 9.0% with mRNA-1273 ‘Moderna’, 1.6% with Ad26.COV2.S ‘Janssen’, and 24.4% with unspecified subtype.
Jesus Christ, a quarter of their set had no data on the type of vaccine? From the medical records? What the gently caress, these people may be bad at science. All of those data points should be thrown out.

Moving on, they straight up say that vaccination reduces these risks six months out from a breakthrough infection: death and respiratory failure, intubation/ventilation, hypoxaemia, seizures, ICU admission, psychotic disorder, hair loss, hypercoagulopathy or venous thromboembolism , and oxygen requirement. I don't understand what they mean by:

quote:

In contrast, there was no significant difference in the risk of many other outcomes including composite of death and any long-COVID feature
Does this mean pre-existing conditions somewhat negate prevention of death? Anyway, the next paragraph is what y'all should be reading. First:

quote:

those who had received two vaccine doses at the time of SARS-CoV-2 infection were also at a significantly lower risk of myalgia, myocarditis, cerebral haemorrhage, interstitial lung disease, urticaria, anosmia, and myoneural junction/muscle disease (each as composite endpoints with death), and at a significantly lower risk of death.
So yeah, being fully vaccinated will prevent a lot of these long COVID medical problems. Second:

quote:

We found a substantial effect of age on the results. Many HRs in younger individuals (< 60 years-old) were in general lower (i.e. favouring vaccination even more) for outcomes significantly associated with vaccination (Fig. 3 and appendix pp. 16, 38-39). These lower HRs were observed against the backdrop of lower absolute risks for most outcomes among younger individuals (appendix pp. 38-39).
Being young and vaccinated reduces your chance of long COVID issues, they claim. But the only loving chart about this they have is Figure 2, where they are only comparing vaccinated vs. unvaccinated. How many old people are in that pile? What happens if you look at actual, fully vaccinated people under 60 vs unvaccinated people under 60? Where's that figure at?

Discussion

quote:

he findings that vaccination against SARS-CoV-2 does not protect against some of the post-acute outcomes of COVID-19 should not obscure the fact that vaccination remains an important protective factor against these outcomes at the population level, since the best way to prevent those outcomes is to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection in the first place. This is also the case in those ≥ 60 years-old.23 However, our results highlight that some post-acute outcomes of SARS-CoV-2 (and notably long-COVID presentations) are likely to persist even after successful vaccination of the population, so long as breakthrough infections occur.

This study looks at breakthrough infections of """vaccinated""" people, not asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic infected individuals. Thus, avoiding a breakthrough infection is paramount to prevent long COVID; in other words, mask up and brunch is cancelled.

Being a preprint, this paper has problems that peer review is meant to correct. Those cohorts look shady for the reasons I outlined, and they're missing what should be some obvious analyses. We'll see if anyone else will catch what I highlighted.

Either that and I'm wrong, then we're all doomed to brain damage. I doubt I'm wrong about this though.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I had to just strip down to my underwear and mask so the most beautiful woman I've ever set eyes on could use a magnifying glass to look all over my entire body

Had to eventually take off my mask but, meh, worth

10/10 would get a clean bill of skin health again

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

facetoucher cat posted:

I had to just strip down to my underwear and mask so the most beautiful woman I've ever set eyes on could use a magnifying glass to look all over my entire body

did you smash

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

zegermans posted:

did you smash

Nah, my husband is in the room. It's his turn now

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

facetoucher cat posted:

Nah, my husband is in the room. It's his turn now

is he smashing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

facetoucher cat posted:

sir/maam this is a bowling alley