Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Last Chance posted:

This app is pretty cool. I think it takes a screenshot and somehow changes your desktop background.

Holy poo poo. It really is the same as the stupid transparent menu bar in Lion or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Last Chance posted:

This app is pretty cool. I think it takes a screenshot and somehow changes your desktop background. It sort of outlines its process when you change the menubar settings.

So I'd guess that however the notch is handled in screenshots (probably blacked out?), this app will reflect that and probably work okay?
I would imagine so but I think it'd depend on how the API for the menu bar that Apple mentioned works. I did some testing and it looks like the system is checking whether the menu bar is on top of something light or dark and will change the menu bar icons accordingly so the app probably isn't necessary any more unless you want some of the other stuff it does.

For normal screens it looks like you can just add a black/white stripe from the top edge of your wallpaper (25px on my 1440p monitor, I would assume 50px for a 5K retina screen) and it'll handle it appropriately. Given that the menu bar is apparently 74px on the new Pro you might need to add that as extra pixels above the normal wallpaper.

~Coxy posted:

Holy poo poo. It really is the same as the stupid transparent menu bar in Lion or whatever.
Yep, and Big Sur was the same although it seems a bit smarter now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I remember hearing on a podcast a few months back that Monterey had an option to bring back permanently showing the folder at the top of a Finder window (so not having to hover over the name of the current folder until it appears and becomes draggable)

Anyone know where the setting is for that? Or did I get taken out in a beta?

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

101 posted:

Anyone know where the setting is for that? Or did I get taken out in a beta?

It’s in Accessibility->Display->show window title icons

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

aeiou posted:

It’s in Accessibility->Display->show window title icons

Thank you so much. I've wanted that back since the second they removed it. Seemed so unnecessary, it saves no useful space.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ah yes, accessibility, where timb hides all the reasonable settings everyone should have access to

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Updated to Monterey and stats.app dies most of the time when undocking from my Totu thunderbolt and doesn't come back. I have an iStat license, I guess I'll just go back to that but I saw in the other thread its having issues on nu-M1

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Dunno if there's any deep macos wizards in here...

I'm having a hell of a time getting the Finder to display my iPhone, or any other iOS device for that matter. It connects and is trusted. I can see it in the USB tree in System Information. I can get its logs from Console, and I can see it, all the apps, and whatnot in Configurator2. I spent a few days with Apple support and they ended up telling me to format and reinstall. :rolleyes: App cache and preference plists have been deleted. OS reinstalled in place. Monterey installed. Safe mode tried. Trusts reset. The phone immediately pops up in Finder on another mac. All iOS devices do not show up on my mac.

Any other ideas on where the gremlin might be?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Reformat and Reinstall.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Unfortunately it probably really is time for a reformat and reinstall.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

MarxCarl posted:

What happens if you just run the script by yourself and not through Alfred? Have you tried running the script piece by piece through Alfred, it's looks to be getting stuck at the git reset commands. Another thing to try is to put a whoami and pwd around each step so:

whoami
pwd
cd /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask
whoami
pwd
git reset --hard origin/master
whoami
pwd

I'd be interested in seeing who Alfred is running as and if that user has permissions.
Dumb, question why can't you just do brew commands, I've never seen having to cd to the directory and then doing git resets and then the updates.

The cd & git reset was to get it to update as it was giving that error.

I tried brew update by itself in terminal. It fails.

code:
MacBook-Pro:~ obow$ brew update
error: invalid path 'homebrew-cask/'
error: homebrew-cask/: cannot add to the index - missing --add option?
fatal: Unable to process path homebrew-cask/
Error: Could not 'git stash' in /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask!
Please stash/commit manually if you need to keep your changes or, if not, run:
MacBook-Pro:~ obow$ 
I tried installing a new package with brew using terminal and it gives a similar message and then successfully installs.

code:
MacBook-Pro:~ obow$ brew install --cask webstorm
Updating Homebrew...
Error: Could not 'git stash' in /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask!
Brew is broken somehow but I don't know where or how.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sad Panda posted:

Brew is broken somehow but I don't know where or how.

Run the command ‘brew doctor’ and it’ll tell you.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Unfortunately it probably really is time for a reformat and reinstall.

I broke too many computers and needed to do this so much when I was younger I lol forward to regularly reinstalling and reformatting computers. It’s like when a spider or a snake molts.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

ah yes, accessibility, where timb hides all the reasonable settings everyone should have access to

I have heard very good arguments from advocates in this area that this is one of the best things that Apple does for them: normalising accessibility. Accessibility is for everyone, and there’s no difference between making something easier or more comfortable for you than anyone else. If it’s a place where everyone regularly feels comfortable going, it’s not just a ghetto for people with disabilities, it’s a frequently trafficked toolshop for everyone to get the tweaks they need.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think when I ditch the intel MBP it’ll also be time to finally revisit ditching Adobe.

I’m looking at either Affinity Photo or Pixelmator Pro. Anyone have thoughts on how either of these work as Photoshop replacements with tasks other than editing/tweaking photos? I’m having trouble explaining what my other uses cases would be, but I’m thinking stuff like making a logo, or like.. art, sketching, etc (yes, iPad is better for that I guess, just humour me). Pixelmator Pro seems to be good at that, the “Photo” part of Affinity Photo scares me off a little but if you look at the marketing for both they both really push the photo editing parts so maybe Affinity Photo is just poorly labeled when it might be a perfectly good “general image editor”.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I own licenses to all 3 Affinity products. I don't use stuff like that day to day like I did a few years ago but its been good enough for when I have needed them.

The biggest things are, the UI sucks and doesn't scale well, and the keyboard shortcuts aren't the same if you're used to them. A bummer but not worth me giving 10 dollars to adobe every month just to have the warmth of the Illustrator logo in my dock. Affinity Designer works just fine. I'm not a photoshop head and I've honestly never actually used my Publisher license for anything.

My use cases are mostly mocking up tshirt designs and playing with boat logo vectors and polar drawings.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Pixelmator Pro is def a more general editor, I really like it. It has some amazing ML stuff too, and it’s very fast.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I use Affinity Photo on a PC for basic image editing (mainly twitter shitposts) and I get on with it fine. I was never a huge Photoshop user but swapped when I couldn’t just use a license from work anymore and I don’t miss it really.

There’s fairly regular sales on the apps so even if you don’t like it you’d be down about £25 or so.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I think when I ditch the intel MBP it’ll also be time to finally revisit ditching Adobe.

I’m looking at either Affinity Photo or Pixelmator Pro. Anyone have thoughts on how either of these work as Photoshop replacements with tasks other than editing/tweaking photos? I’m having trouble explaining what my other uses cases would be, but I’m thinking stuff like making a logo, or like.. art, sketching, etc (yes, iPad is better for that I guess, just humour me). Pixelmator Pro seems to be good at that, the “Photo” part of Affinity Photo scares me off a little but if you look at the marketing for both they both really push the photo editing parts so maybe Affinity Photo is just poorly labeled when it might be a perfectly good “general image editor”.

Vector art like logos is Affinity Designer not Photo, if that's your interest. They all work quite well together, but it's definitely set up specifically as Photo being for raster images and Designer being vector stuff.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

chaosbreather posted:

I have heard very good arguments from advocates in this area that this is one of the best things that Apple does for them: normalising accessibility. Accessibility is for everyone, and there’s no difference between making something easier or more comfortable for you than anyone else. If it’s a place where everyone regularly feels comfortable going, it’s not just a ghetto for people with disabilities, it’s a frequently trafficked toolshop for everyone to get the tweaks they need.
I think that's a fair argument but another way of looking at is that Apple is further marginalizing disabled people by designating system settings that belong very obviously in other extant categories as "accessibility" related, which makes it seem like they're for people who aren't capable of using the operating system the way they've designed it instead of having a legitimate preference to use it in a way slightly different than the arrogant snobs engineering Mac OS simply demand you to.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I think that's a fair argument but another way of looking at is that Apple is further marginalizing disabled people by designating system settings that belong very obviously in other extant categories as "accessibility" related, which makes it seem like they're for people who aren't capable of using the operating system the way they've designed it instead of having a legitimate preference to use it in a way slightly different than the arrogant snobs engineering Mac OS simply demand you to.

No that’s the opposite - that’s why it’s called accessibility, not disability support. The fact is that everyone should go to the Accessibility screen because everyone is different and Apple OSes have a bunch of really cool features to make it more comfortable for you. They try and queue that stuff up early and often now, too.

A lot of break out features have come from there historically too - the software home button that was used everywhere in Asia to preserve the spring on the physical one. Zoom is awesome for presos and has been there forever. Dark mode has been there since 10.2ish. System Access which lets you do amazing stuff with AppleScript or JavaScript. Type to Siri is in there now and it’s great for everyone, and that was a call-out feature in the WWDC keynote.

Ultimately the concept of Accessibility isn’t about wheelchairs, it’s about the friction of human interface, and making it conform to whatever your needs are to do whatever you want to do comfortably.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

💩💩💩 Safari 15.1 has been released 💩💩💩

Safari 15.1 is available in your System Preferences / Software Update prefpane if you have the latest versions of Big Sur (11.6.1) or Catalina (Security Update 2021-007.) Not for Mojave. Already included with final release of Monterey, macOS 12.0.1.

Maintains the older style of multiple tabs and contains the following security fixes:

Apple posted:

WebKit
Available for: macOS Big Sur and macOS Catalina
Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to unexpectedly unenforced Content Security Policy
Description: A logic issue was addressed with improved restrictions.
CVE-2021-30887: Narendra Bhati (@imnarendrabhati) of Suma Soft Pvt. Ltd.

WebKit
Impact: A malicious website using Content Security Policy reports may be able to leak information via redirect behavior
Description: An information leakage issue was addressed.
CVE-2021-30888: Prakash (@1lastBr3ath)

WebKit
Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution
Description: A buffer overflow issue was addressed with improved memory handling.
CVE-2021-30889: Chijin Zhou of ShuiMuYuLin Ltd and Tsinghua wingtecher lab

WebKit
Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to universal cross site scripting
Description: A logic issue was addressed with improved state management.
CVE-2021-30890: an anonymous researcher

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Quackles posted:

Run the command ‘brew doctor’ and it’ll tell you.

It gives me...

code:
MacBook-Pro:homebrew-cask obow$ brew doctor
Please note that these warnings are just used to help the Homebrew maintainers
with debugging if you file an issue. If everything you use Homebrew for is
working fine: please don't worry or file an issue; just ignore this. Thanks!

Warning: Some installed kegs have no formulae!
This means they were either deleted or installed with `brew diy`.
You should find replacements for the following formulae:
  python@2

Warning: Some installed formulae are deprecated or disabled.
You should find replacements for the following formulae:
  ilmbase
  lua@5.1

Warning: "config" scripts exist outside your system or Homebrew directories.
`./configure` scripts often look for *-config scripts to determine if
software packages are installed, and which additional flags to use when
compiling and linking.

Having additional scripts in your path can confuse software installed via
Homebrew if the config script overrides a system or Homebrew-provided
script of the same name. We found the following "config" scripts:
  /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/bin/python3.9-config
  /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/bin/python3-config

Warning: You have unlinked kegs in your Cellar.
Leaving kegs unlinked can lead to build-trouble and cause formulae that depend on
those kegs to fail to run properly once built. Run `brew link` on these:
  python@2
  imath
  python@3.9

Warning: You have uncommitted modifications to Homebrew/homebrew-cask.
If this is a surprise to you, then you should stash these modifications.
Stashing returns Homebrew to a pristine state but can be undone
should you later need to do so for some reason.
  cd /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask && git stash && git clean -d -f

Uncommitted files:
  ?? homebrew-cask/
I assume most of the warnings aren't related (as it says at the top).
I try following the instructions at the bottom

code:
MacBook-Pro:homebrew-cask obow$ git stash
No local changes to save
MacBook-Pro:homebrew-cask obow$ git clean -d -f
MacBook-Pro:homebrew-cask obow$ brew update
Which brings me back to telling me I need to do git reset. I do the git reset, can do brew update/upgrade.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 28, 2021

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there a good tool for bulk-removing subtitles from .mkv files?

I'm using MKVToolNix atm but I have to go through each file one by one and the UI is awful on the Mac

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

101 posted:

I'm using MKVToolNix atm but I have to go through each file one by one and the UI is awful on the Mac

MKVToolNix is just a GUI on top of a bunch of command line tools. I think it's mkvmerge that will do what you're looking for, and then you can just script the removal and let 'er rip.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

nexxai posted:

MKVToolNix is just a GUI on top of a bunch of command line tools. I think it's mkvmerge that will do what you're looking for, and then you can just script the removal and let 'er rip.

I was afraid I'd have to start looking into the docs and writing a script for it but I might just have to bite the bullet

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok I've upgraded my Mini (which I use at as a media pc hooked up to my television) and my 2015 MBP to Monterey and suddenly icloud is merging my desktops, so my MBP is now displaying my Mini's desktop instead of the MBP's. How do I turn off this synching and have my MBP's desktop be native again instead of having to find it in the iCloud tab?

edit: also Airdrop to my MBP from my iPhone 13 pro 15.1 no longer is working, and I tried messaging to my icloud account to send a photo to the MBP instead and that also didn't go through

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 29, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Upgraded to Monterey and now the audio doesn’t switch properly from speakers to my lighting headphones over a USBC adapter. Partying like it’s the year of Linux on the desktop baby!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Page 1000 snipe

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ok I've upgraded my Mini (which I use at as a media pc hooked up to my television) and my 2015 MBP to Monterey and suddenly icloud is merging my desktops, so my MBP is now displaying my Mini's desktop instead of the MBP's. How do I turn off this synching and have my MBP's desktop be native again instead of having to find it in the iCloud tab?

edit: also Airdrop to my MBP from my iPhone 13 pro 15.1 no longer is working, and I tried messaging to my icloud account to send a photo to the MBP instead and that also didn't go through
You can disable the Desktop sync by going  -> System Preferences -> Apple ID -> 'Options...' button for iCloud Drive -> untick 'Desktop & Documents Folders'.

I haven't actually seen any Mac turn on the Desktop/Documents sync by default and given the issues you're having with AirDrop is sounds like you could probably do with signing out of iCloud, restarting and then signing back in on the MBP. That's usually my go-to if one specific device isn't playing ball with the rest with the cloud features.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mercurius posted:

You can disable the Desktop sync by going  -> System Preferences -> Apple ID -> 'Options...' button for iCloud Drive -> untick 'Desktop & Documents Folders'.

This supposed "Options" button for iCloud drive does not exist in this place?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It looks like this for me:

If it's not there at all I'd definitely be signing out of iCloud completely, rebooting, signing back in, rebooting again and then seeing if it's behaving after that

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
There used to be a reasonably busy MacOS thread in the games forum, now there's only one that hasn't been touched since Feb 2021. Is there another thread I missed? Now that I have this fancy rear end M1 iMac I want to actually play a game on my Mac for the first time since I played Dark Castle on my Mac SE in 1990, but I'm looking for recommendations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mercurius posted:

It looks like this for me:

If it's not there at all I'd definitely be signing out of iCloud completely, rebooting, signing back in, rebooting again and then seeing if it's behaving after that

Ah ok a reboot without signing out of iCloud did it. Thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

System Preferences -> Apple ID button

then there's an iCloud button on the left, select that

in the right scrollable pane you should then see iCloud Drive with an 'Options' button on the same line, click that

another window pops up- select the Documents tab

Uncheck the 'Desktop & Documents Folders' tick box, should be the first line

that should do it

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

101 posted:

Still CLI but you could use ffmpeg to mass create mkvs using video and audio copy on track 1 of each.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Has Monterey messed with the menu bar in dark mode?

EDIT: It's because of the dynamic background. Did it do this before?

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 29, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
After about a year using macOS as my daily driver, this has finally annoyed me enough to ask: is there really no way to cleanly uninstall an application automatically? The Windows user in me cringes every time I delete an app from the Applications folder because I know I'm leaving a mess of files in Library. Any open source options if there's nothing OEM?

The Macaroni posted:

There used to be a reasonably busy MacOS thread in the games forum, now there's only one that hasn't been touched since Feb 2021. Is there another thread I missed? Now that I have this fancy rear end M1 iMac I want to actually play a game on my Mac for the first time since I played Dark Castle on my Mac SE in 1990, but I'm looking for recommendations.

Civilization V is literally the only game I've seen Mac users play, so I'm going to say check out Civ V.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's nothing built in to cleanly do it, and that does suck, but you can just grab something like AppCleaner from freemacsoft which totally sounds like an adware download site but does exactly what you are describing. It'll analyze the app bundle and try its best to thwonk the leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jeez, that's the turning of a table. Time was that I championed the Mac app installation/deinstallation process for its self-contained directness: just drag an icon into a folder, or to the Trash. Whereas with Windows you always had to run a deinstall wizard or risk a million weird keys being left all over your Registry, and even then you could never be sure you got them all or there weren't any lurking surprises remaining.

I take it that's no longer a thing in Windows then?