Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

And apparently there's over $100 million of cash being pledged by non-tech folks behind hiring Art Briles. Yup, $100 million in donations by mostly Baylor folks to hire their scandal.

Wait, how does that work? Non-TTU people are....what, driving up to the AD's office with suitcases full of bills and offering to buy him an Art Briles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I believe there are usually “alumni associations” or something of that sort that boosters funnel money through. Presumably you don’t have to be an actual alumni to donate to those.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

General Dog posted:

I believe there are usually “alumni associations” or something of that sort that boosters funnel money through. Presumably you don’t have to be an actual alumni to donate to those.

But do you like, get to send a note with a string attached that lets the donor pull the money out if they don't get what they paid for? I don't understand where the stipulation comes in here.

At any rate, while I don't want Briles back in the game at all, it would be kind of funny to watch him come back and get wrecked because it's going to be nearly impossible for him to recruit decent players or staff, so I guess Tech can sit on that landmine if they really want....

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LLCoolJD posted:

UNLV is 0-7. I didn't realize they were so bad.

Looks like the big slot machine won’t pay off

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Is there no Week 9 thread yet? There was a week 8 thread last Wednesday.

Anyway, Coastal looks like poo poo and their QB just got wrecked so hard he started barfing on the field.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Blue Raider posted:

What is happening with Florida and Mullen this year specifically?

A lot of the same problems have re-emerged. 1) He is still strangely loyal to Todd Grantham. 2) Feleipe Franks-type futility seems more common at QB than we were expecting. Also he's not a top-tier recruiter which is a handicap when Georgia and LSU are on the schedule every year.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hazo posted:

Is there no Week 9 thread yet? There was a week 8 thread last Wednesday.

Anyway, Coastal looks like poo poo and their QB just got wrecked so hard he started barfing on the field.

If 3 more points aren't scored in that game, I'm gonna start barfing m'self.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

What is happening with Florida and Mullen this year specifically? I don’t know the man’s career inside and out, but wasn’t he supposed to be a quarterback whisperer?

Looks to me like his early successes at Gainesville were with teams other than his own, but I really have no idea of the man’s capacity to coach a winning team at the national level.

A rebuilding year was always on the cards given that Florida lost a Heisman candidate at QB, 2 1st-round pass-catchers, and Florida's recruiting being decent instead of great. But the way Mullen has handled this rebuilding year is what's made his seat warm. Mullen stuck by the wrong QB for too long again, he kept his buddy Todd Grantham around an extra year, and he can't get his foot out of his mouth when in front of a microphone.

Mullen has raised the floor at Florida. Florida has been a top-10 team in SP+ for Mullen's first 3 years, and is poised for a 4th straight top-10 finish somehow. But Mullen is getting paid $7.5 million dollars a year to go 2-7 against LSU/Bama/Georgia, in addition to tripping over his own dick in games Florida should win.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I believe the whole reason people talk about UNLV being the best 0-7 team is because they are 5-2 against the spread and yes being close in some games.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

What is happening with Florida and Mullen this year specifically? I don’t know the man’s career inside and out, but wasn’t he supposed to be a quarterback whisperer?

Looks to me like his early successes at Gainesville were with teams other than his own, but I really have no idea of the man’s capacity to coach a winning team at the national level.

His offense is good enough but he doesn't have an all-world QB to hang his hat on this year. Richardson looks like he is probably better than Emory but for whatever reason Emeroy is entrenched. Both QBs have their issues though. The big problem is that Grantham's defense is poopoo as usual. They ahve lost like 3 games by less than 20 points total, so they have been in all their games but if their D could present the slightest roadblock they would be undefeated. Mullens recent record on power 5 teams is completely awful, ranked and unranked. Unless we just completely blow them out, his seat will be warm but he will get the option to make staff changes, but if we blow them out like... 42-0 or something absurd like that, his seat is going to be absolutely molten.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Presumably you don’t have to be an actual alumni to donate to those.

It's the "Texas Exes" at UT so that people who dropped out can be in the club too. "Former Students Association" instead of Alumni Association.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

These sound like message board hokum. I believe there are people with money who want Briles to happen, but I don't believe that there's any universe where it actually happens. Leach wanting to come back just sounds like fanfic.

I guess I shouldn't say tier 2 of likelihood, instead it'd be just a different set of plausibility.

The folks saying this are reporters, and say the bits of info don't quite reach the level of fact, so they wouldn't put them in an article, but also that it's coming from reputable sources and range from possible to probable.

I'm mostly posting about it because it's a TTU coaching search and TTU coaching searches are almost always bonkers

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The advice was "kill it for forward progress and avoid all this stupidity to begin with".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgpgpXj5-j4

I’ve never seen these before, thanks for posting. Pretty interesting.

I’m more neutral now about the 3OT and beyond rule than I was before where I hated the change. I guess I forgot limiting the number of plays was the intention and his reasoning that even 3OT-9OT only resulted in 14 total plays was something I hadn’t considered.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Hed posted:

I’ve never seen these before, thanks for posting. Pretty interesting.

I’m more neutral now about the 3OT and beyond rule than I was before where I hated the change. I guess I forgot limiting the number of plays was the intention and his reasoning that even 3OT-9OT only resulted in 14 total plays was something I hadn’t considered.

Happy to do it each week in the future.

The OT rule is working as intended and I like it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The OT rule is working as intended, I get it, and it's fine, but I nevertheless demand people stop referring to that game last week as "the longest college football game ever" because that's fake news

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I’m pretty sure I’ve seen non-OT, non weather delayed games with a longer duration

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

The OT rule is working as intended, I get it, and it's fine, but I nevertheless demand people stop referring to that game last week as "the longest college football game ever" because that's fake news

It might not have been longest in objective time, but you don't know the toll it took on people's souls.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

It was the hyperbolic time chamber of big ten football and I'm glad we got to witness it in our mercifully short lifetimes

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
There was nothing wrong with the old overtime rule and changing it was dumb as hell.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
what was the old OT rule?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Seaniqua posted:

what was the old OT rule?

Keep playing like normal then once you hit 3 OT you had to go for 2 after a TD, instead of just rapid fire back and forth 2 pt attempts. It's the best OT in sports besides NHL playoffs sudden death.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

SundayMoney posted:

I believe the whole reason people talk about UNLV being the best 0-7 team is because they are 5-2 against the spread and yes being close in some games.

I know they hired Oregon's OC a couple of years ago and UNLV has had a couple of good recruiting classes for their weight class. Maybe they're a trust the process kind of situation and it'll turn into wins eventually?

They're also letting Tate Martell crash on their couch as he transitions to a nice career on Instagram

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

If anything needed to be changed, then moving the field position back to the 30 or 35 would necessitate moving the ball at least a little bit to get into field goal range.

There was nothing wrong with the old system.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

For as much stink as they raised over 7OT BLOODBATH!!!!!!, it isn't like very many games went beyond 3OT in the first place. I'm not sure the rule needed a change.

If you want a football shootout, maybe moving the ball back would help. The 5 or 7? The 3 favors defense too much.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In addition to player safety, one of the other reasons behind the change was to keep games from going too far over time, because the networks don't like that.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Roasted Donut posted:

Keep playing like normal then once you hit 3 OT you had to go for 2 after a TD, instead of just rapid fire back and forth 2 pt attempts. It's the best OT in sports besides NHL playoffs sudden death.

Agree with this. The cynic in me thinks the “player safety” is a fig leaf for BIG NETWORK tv times, but I can’t get too mad at it.

I’d probably feel differently if the first big experience with the new way wasn’t a “WTF DID I JUST WITNESS?”

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
To be fair if it wasn't for the new format Illinois and Penn State would probably still be trading field goals

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think as a fan I would prefer 1st and goal at the 10 yard line.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think as a fan I would prefer 1st and goal at the 10 yard line.

I say each OT period gets successively closer. 1st OT starts at the 40, 2nd at the 30, 3rd at the 20, 4th at the 10, 5th is 1st and goal at the 2.5, and then 6th and on can be alternating 2 pt tries. No XP's ever.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
If they want shorter games maybe stop doing the stupid extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial, thing the NFL pioneered.

I think dueling 2 point conversions is just flipping a coin. Maybe just make teams go for two starting with the first overtime.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

The OT 2 point fest was fun, the most fun you could possibly have watching Big Ten football. And I say that as a Big Ten football fan. The only thing I thought was silly was having to announce after each overtime that the team has selected to play defense and the other team picked the other side of the field. Yeah, we get it, it was the same the whole time just skip that poo poo.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1454127077456846854

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Roasted Donut posted:

There was nothing wrong with the old overtime rule and changing it was dumb as hell.

Except what was wrong with it was that you get LSU/aTm where you have played nearly another half of football per the # of snaps and guys are getting injured. That is the exact thing the rules are trying to fix, and while it was more "satisfying" to the fans I guess, this format (as explained in the video) basically boils it down to a singular OT period in terms of snaps after that 2 second OT period. Which is dramatic and impactful to the health of the players, especially if you had more than one of these a season.

I get its easy to be cynical about rules for player safety, but this one is working exactly as intended, and most OT games get solved in the first 2 so it's not like you're gonna get this a LOT over the course of a season.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 29, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Spacemonkey57 posted:

If they want shorter games maybe stop doing the stupid extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial, thing the NFL pioneered.

I think dueling 2 point conversions is just flipping a coin. Maybe just make teams go for two starting with the first overtime.

They want to shorten the games to make more time for commercials.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They want to shorten the games to make more time for commercials.

Yeah, but I can always dream...

Why doesn't ESPN just take that corner of the screen they use for UFC advertising during the entire game and slap an Allstate logo there instead? Then stop doing the ads after the kickoffs.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Except what was wrong with it was that you get LSU/aTm where you have played nearly another half of football per the # of snaps and guys are getting injured. That is the exact thing the rules are trying to fix, and while it was more "satisfying" to the fans I guess, this format (as explained in the video) basically boils it down to a singular OT period in terms of snaps after that 2 second OT period. Which is dramatic and impactful to the health of the players, especially if you had more than one of these a season.

I get its easy to be cynical about rules for player safety, but this one is working exactly as intended, and most OT games get solved in the first 2 so it's not like you're gonna get this a LOT over the course of a season.

Counterpoint, Sitkowski broke his arm.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more injuries in these types of overtimes because each period becomes increasingly desperate with wild trick plays no one actually practices for.

Komet fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 29, 2021

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Starting to look like we're going to have five more FBS independents.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

Counterpoint, Sitkowski broke his arm.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more injuries in these types of overtimes because each period becomes increasingly desperate with wild trick plays no one actually practices for.

I think both teams did one trick play in the 9 overtimes?

It could have used a lot more trick plays maybe it wouldn't have been such a sad display of football.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sun Belt seems like a decent and interesting conference. I hope if the playoff expands to 8 or 12 teams, we'll see a lot more variety in the G5 (4) teams that might get in between a Sun Belt, MWC, and AAC that seem relatively on par. Of course, there's the occasional 12-0 MAC team that's a flash in the pan for a single season before their coach goes to a P5 school.

PostNouveau posted:

I think both teams did one trick play in the 9 overtimes?

It could have used a lot more trick plays maybe it wouldn't have been such a sad display of football.

OK, a shovel pass isn't a trick play, but it's also something I haven't seen Penn State do this year, or almost ever. The point is that the playcalling is extremely unusual in these situations.

Komet fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think we'll get some new southern/eastern G5, whether it's the remnants of C-USA inviting FCS teams or something new.