Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

veni veni veni posted:

This is defiantly true. If you are of a certain age the JRPG has this mystique attached to it even if it probably shouldn't have been your thing to begin with.

I have no idea what the genre actually does well though. In general it feels like a genre that tries to do a lot of different things poorly.

Was gonna say that JRPGs in general seem to just try to keep stacking on gimmicks rather than refine the core gameplay style, to the point of trying to turn into totally different games. Like all the attempts to combine turn-based and real-time combat that just feel like turn-based combat with someone breathing down your neck all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

roomtone posted:

This opinion gets expressed so often because people who are about 30+ now were kids when the JRPG was at its peak popularity around the time of FF7. I think a lot of people who didn't actually like JRPGs for what they were played them and didn't realise until they were older that they didn't like them. It's a specific kind of gameplay that you either like or you don't. Also, JRPGs have evolved just as much if not more than any other genre, for better and worse depending on the game.

Ff7 is a masterpiecec because 2 minutes in you are fighting soldiers, casting magic spells and doing limit breaks and then you play 8 which is 2 hpurs of being at school before you do anything cool

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
JRPGs always appeared like games you could only like if you had never seen literally any other kind of game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As a lifelong JRPG fan, I can think of several reasons people like JRPGs:
1 They like Japanese pop media in general. Almost guaranteed if you like JRPGs you will also like anime, manga, visual novels, etc.. The tropes. characters, ideas, and presentation in Japanese media is appealing to them for whatever reason but now you get to control it yourself which adds a whole other dimension of appeal in the form of immersion.
2. Music. JRPGs have a reputation for "at least the music is good." Rare is the JRPG soundtrack that isn't at least decent, and several have the best music you'll ever hear in games.
3. Turn-based combat is awesome. I don't know how anybody can honestly say JRPG gameplay hasn't evolved. Even in the 90s Final Fantasy VII was very different from IX which was very different from Xenogears which was very different from Chrono Cross. And so-on. In franchises like Persona and Shin Megami Tensei you can watch the same battle system evolve from Persona 3 and Nocturne to Persona 5 and SMTIV Apocalypse so the changes are obvious and awesome. You're watching something being perfected.
4. And I guess other folks like ARPGs. Final Fantasy XV plays nothing like any of the games us old folks grew up with, and FFXVI will also be very different.

All this seems very obvious to me.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 29, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was gonna say that JRPGs in general seem to just try to keep stacking on gimmicks rather than refine the core gameplay style, to the point of trying to turn into totally different games. Like all the attempts to combine turn-based and real-time combat that just feel like turn-based combat with someone breathing down your neck all the time.

This about sums it up. No matter how many billion complex systems they add, it mostly amounts to little more than literal paperwork managing spreadsheets, because the actual “game” part is still:
Attack>
Magic>
Item>
Run>

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I actually like jrpg gameplay, it's actually what I enjoy most about the genre. It's nice to be able to chill out with a game that doesnt make too many demands of the player and you can just click through the menus making your decisions and watch as the numbers go up. Big number go up guy over here. I tend not to give too much of a poo poo about the story or characters cuz it's usually trash anyway

DQ11 was a great jrpg. I even enjoyed Ni no Kuni 2 and Lost Sphear for being very unassuming and straightforward jrpgs. Lost Sphear in particular was a great call back to ps1 era jrpgs even down to the convoluted and mostly extraneous systems stacked upon systems. It's not a particularly good game, but it's a perfectly fine jrpg imo, if that makes any sense.

I even enjoyed Persona 5 for its snappy battle system and slick presentation despite it prominently displaying many of the worst aspects of modern jrpgs namely its inextricable marriage to anime tropes and its treatment of characters as objects which has only gotten worse as graphical fidelity increases

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

galagazombie posted:

Agree. They were simply the only genre that even attempted to tell an actual story so people looking for that (me included) ate them up.
On a related note, To add my own unpopular opinion to the pile, The PS1’s library has aged terribly compared to the N64’s. And JRPG’s are part of that. Look how many of the “classics” on the PS1 are these grindtastic JRPG’s with the same old gameplay the genre has used since Dragon Quest. And the rest of the “classics” lineup doesn’t fare much better. It’s full of tank controls and terrible fixed camera angles because devs understandably wanted to use pre-rendered backgrounds, which were one of the systems big draws. Now to be sure there are several PS1 classics that have aged well and are still fun to play. But at a much fewer percentage of the library. Pretty much every single N64 classic on the other hand is still a blast to play, and due to a variety of complex factors they generally look better to modern eyes too.

I replayed Tomb Raider 1 - 3 this year and I couldn't possibly disagree more. Besides those, which look and play better than anything on the 64, you had Bushido Blade, the best JRPGs ever made, Legacy of Kain, And so much more! also the graphics on the 64 just looked like straight puke, and the camera in super Mario 64 is bad

I had both a 64 and a PS1 growing up and there aren't any 64 games that I ever want to play again

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Doctor J Off posted:

I replayed Tomb Raider 1 - 3 this year and I couldn't possibly disagree more.

Big fan of the series, grew up playing these with my dad but lmao they have aged horrificly and i have no idea why you'd subject yourself to that but at least you had the decency to stop before they got really bad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DRPGs are still going and still good if you like that sort of thing.

Which I do

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Big fan of the series, grew up playing these with my dad but lmao they have aged horrificly and i have no idea why you'd subject yourself to that but at least you had the decency to stop before they got really bad

You might be surprised if you go back. The controls are really good and the level design is excellent. And I'm going on to The Last Revelation :yum:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Doctor J Off posted:

I replayed Tomb Raider 1 - 3 this year and I couldn't possibly disagree more. Besides those, which look and play better than anything on the 64, you had Bushido Blade, the best JRPGs ever made, Legacy of Kain, And so much more! also the graphics on the 64 just looked like straight puke, and the camera in super Mario 64 is bad

I had both a 64 and a PS1 growing up and there aren't any 64 games that I ever want to play again

That’s the opposite of true though. PS1 graphics, the actual graphics not the pre-rendered backgrounds or cutscenes. Are often terrible compared to most 64 games, especially when they tried to be realistic instead of cartoony. I still have both my 64 and PS1 hooked up and the difference is very noticeable.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Doctor J Off posted:

You might be surprised if you go back. The controls are really good and the level design is excellent. And I'm going on to The Last Revelation :yum:

The level design is indeed incredible but there is no way you can say the controls are great without sounding insane.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Pre rendered backgrounds and cutscenes are "graphics" though

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

galagazombie posted:

the actual graphics not the pre-rendered backgrounds or cutscenes.

Lmao

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Hmmm let's play some 25 year old games and complain about the graphics lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The problem with the n64 is the amount of games worth playing on it you could count on one hand. Who gives a poo poo if the graphics were "better"

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U was a good advancement of the JRPG formula and combat system and I'm kind of disappointed the story got so weird and turned so many people in later sequels off because it felt like mechanically they were taking the genre in a good direction.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Best JRPG is Star Ocean 2 just for the english voice clips during battles.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That.. is the the enemy!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Final Fantasy 7 was good.

No it wasn't.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ill fight u nerd but u first as my atb bar is not full

itry
Aug 23, 2019

At least we can all agree Chrono Trigger was pretty good, right?

We can't

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

anything involving Toriyama is anime as gently caress

and we all know anime is blood

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

itry posted:

At least we can all agree Chrono Trigger was pretty good, right?

We can't

It was Allright. I enjoyed playing it, but I don't really get the pedestal it's on.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If FF7 was so good, why would they remake it? Final fantasy tactics has never been remade, and it’s the best

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Remake Chrono Trigger and give Crono a voice for maximum controversy

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

fridge corn posted:

gilbert gottfried

itry
Aug 23, 2019

fridge corn posted:

Hire a VA for Crono but all they do is breathe into the microphone.

jokes posted:

If FF7 was so good, why would they remake it? Final fantasy tactics has never been remade, and it’s the best

Where is the terrible FFT port of a port for PC that we deserve Squeenix??

itry
Aug 23, 2019

FoolyCharged posted:

It was Allright. I enjoyed playing it, but I don't really get the pedestal it's on.

Don't know about pedestals, but it has pretty good combat, very good music, and it has time travel (as a mechanic even. Unlike FF8 that has time travel because :shrug:)
Edit: Also nice pixel graphics.
Edit: Also also NG+ and secret endings and stuff

itry fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 29, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

itry posted:

From what I'm reading the game itself is bad. But please, no spoilers. There is still a 5% chance I will play it sometime in the next 5 years.

aeris gets clean but then relapses and her tolerance went way down so she OD's and dies

a fully voiced ff8 with squall inner monologue would be hilarious. I imagine he sounds like milhouse

itry
Aug 23, 2019

kntfkr posted:

a fully voiced ff8 with squall inner monologue would be hilarious. I imagine he sounds like milhouse

Fishermans Horizon concert will feature a Florence and the Machine cover of Whatever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

sebmojo posted:

It's p good, but I accept it might get bad further in, I'm like halfway through

FF7R is great, but you have to accept that it’s secretly a Yakuza game.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

FFT was like someone played Tactics Ogre and said hmm, this game is fun but what if we took the insanely convoluted plot and made it 10 times as impenetrable.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm hyped for this thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q08tFwYlNEc

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

fridge corn posted:

The problem with the n64 is the amount of games worth playing on it you could count on one hand. Who gives a poo poo if the graphics were "better"

Lol there’s a poo poo ton of them
Bomberman64
Bomberman hero
Bomberman 64 the second attack
Chameleon Twist 1 and 2
Rogue Squadron
Battle for Naboo
Episode 1 Racer
Battle Zone
Doom 64
Extreme G 1 and 2
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon
Harvest Moon 64
Tetrisphere
Wetris
Sin and punishment
This is all without naming a single First Party, Rare, Multi-plat, Sports Game, or game I haven’t played.

Doctor J Off posted:

Pre rendered backgrounds and cutscenes are "graphics" though

Pre rendered Cutscenes sure as hell aren’t. They are identical to an fmv. No one says Command and Conquer has good graphics because of Tim Curry. As for pre rendered backgrounds, yeah they’re actually in the actual game, but they’re a nice looking skybox, and they stick out like a sore thumb because what’s “real” like the characters and enemies are so obviously not sharing the same, I dunno how to say it, layer? reality?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Pre rendered backgrounds were great. Parasite Eve, the Final Fantasies, Ocarina of Time, Resident Evils - love that aesthetic.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
This thread is wild. N64 had better graphics than the PSX? Tomb raider has good controls? Three bomberman games?!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

galagazombie posted:

Pre rendered Cutscenes sure as hell aren’t. They are identical to an fmv. No one says Command and Conquer has good graphics because of Tim Curry. As for pre rendered backgrounds, yeah they’re actually in the actual game, but they’re a nice looking skybox, and they stick out like a sore thumb because what’s “real” like the characters and enemies are so obviously not sharing the same, I dunno how to say it, layer? reality?

I dunno, when I was a kid, as a 64 owner I kinda lost my poo poo the first time I saw the cg intro on the ps1 Tekken demo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Insanely same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Serephina posted:

N64 had better graphics than the PSX?

On a technical level it kind of did though. The N64 had an early version of what we’d consider a modern graphics card architecture, so it could actually do things like texture filtering and perspective-corrected rendering, as well as using a real depth buffer where the PSX had to just sort triangles in software and then hope for the best.

Lack of storage space was its biggest problem though, so when devs learned to work around the PS1’s limitations they were able to get some really nice looking results compared to the N64.

It’s kind of like how the Genesis technically had a better sound chip than the SNES, but the rest of the hardware didn’t really allow for a whole lot of room to work with it properly.