Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Build it and on donor tour day, lock all the donors inside and walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
the fire marshal was ok with only 2 entraces for 4500 people?? wonder if he has a sick new car

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

“97-year old billionaire turned amateur architect designing a dorm” is a straight up discarded Mr. Burns subplot from a Simpsons episode.

“Windows? Fresh air? Bah, Smithers! We’re designing a dormitory, not a sanitarium! I trust that the showers will only spray cold water and the food in the dining hall will have a steady level of saltpeter in every meal, yes? Can’t let the libido go unchecked!”

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

the fire marshal was ok with only 2 entraces for 4500 people?? wonder if he has a sick new car

Yeah I was about to say that has to violate pretty much every state, local, or federal NFPA building code ever.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Forgot to add the image of the 8x8 living plan this gently caress came up with:

He probably wouldn't last a day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Take his money, build dorm, watch it go up in a mysterious fire before students move in, collect insurance money, build new dorm of liveable design.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Someone mentioned the VA governor’s race, anyone local have thoughts on what’s going on there? I’m suddenly getting a pile of fundraising emails about how close Mcauliffe and the actual, literal ghoul are polling.

In contrast with what other people have said, the two people I know that are actively involved in VA politics (I no longer live in the state, but living in the DC Metro, I may as well live there), they are feeling confident at the moment that McAuliffe will win. Apparently they are very satisfied with the number of early voters in places McAuliffe needs to win that are traditionally Dem strongholds. Primary turnout was also something they were very satisfied with, as it didn't show a massive drop from 2017 or 2020 levels like many people were expecting.

I joked about yard signs with one of them, since I was in Arlington helping an old neighbor, and they asked me if I was Peggy Noonan. Anyways, I noticed that the signs keep getting swapped out. One week you'll see a bunch of Youngkin, another you'll see a bunch of McAuliffe ones.

Time will tell, I guess.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It also doesn't help that both candidates are pulling the "Coke machines in the cafeteria" trick, promising poo poo that will almost definitely take longer than their fixed four year term* to implement.

* for those who aren't aware, governors can't run for a consecutive term in Virginia - they have to wait four years. It sucks and leads to governors who have no investiture in the state because they don't have to worry about re-election, only what to do *next* with the earned political capital of an election victory.

I can't remember where the hell I saw it, but IIRC, there is some movement in the VA Legislature to finally get rid of that. It's truly stupid.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 29, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So each person gets their own room for loving or sadly watching their choice of anime without bothering their fellow students?

I dunno doesn’t seem that bad.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Crab Dad posted:

So each person gets their own room for loving or sadly watching their choice of anime without bothering their fellow students?

With rooms this tiny, I bet the sounds would bleed through headphones connected to the laptop and there really isn't room for a TV

It's essentially fine for short durations, or in certain cultures like cruise ships or sea/military deployments. But in a dorm? Might as well mandate vitamin D prescriptions with a side of marinol. Can't even smoke weed in those rooms since there's nowhere for the smoke to go!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

With rooms this tiny, I bet the sounds would bleed through headphones connected to the laptop and there really isn't room for a TV

It's essentially fine for short durations, or in certain cultures like cruise ships or sea/military deployments. But in a dorm? Might as well mandate vitamin D prescriptions with a side of marinol. Can't even smoke weed in those rooms since there's nowhere for the smoke to go!

Giant wall for a flat screen.

It’s much bigger than your living space on a Navy ship.

It’s dumb but it’s not unlivable if you toss aside the safety stuff. Which you shouldn’t.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Just like California to remake Kowloon Walled City but worse than the original.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

Lol that's like playing Sims for the first time at a friend's house and not intentionally torturing them but also having no clue what you're doing. *takes second look* actually that's more like Prison Architect.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

There were similar dorms where I went to school only they only had 6 people per shared unit, and they were wait listed. People will put up with a lot if they don't have to sleep in the same room as someone else.

8 dudes sharing a single shower and toilet would suck though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Build the “dormitory”, then operate it as a very secure library.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

Tell me you want to recreate the Stanford Prison Experiment without telling me you want to recreate the Stanford Prison Experiment.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

There's really only 1 toilet for 8 rooms?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Crab Dad posted:

Giant wall for a flat screen.

It’s much bigger than your living space on a Navy ship.

It’s dumb but it’s not unlivable if you toss aside the safety stuff. Which you shouldn’t.

Its absolutely not a livable space. Youre a boatman, you should know nobody enjoys living in a space that small and its definitely not great for your mental health.

Edit also youre getting paid to live on a boat youre paying $stupid to live in a dorm

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Spirit Otter posted:

Its absolutely not a livable space. Youre a boatman, you should know nobody enjoys living in a space that small and its definitely not great for your mental health.

Edit also youre getting paid to live on a boat youre paying $stupid to live in a dorm

But think of all the awkward orgies that not even the U.S. Navy can offer.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/29/politics/challenge-coin-joe-biden-pope-francis/index.html

quote:

Biden gives Pope a sentimental challenge coin: 'The next time I see you, if you don't have it you have to buy the drinks

Hey pope, next time we get to the bricks, if you don't have that coin you're buying the Coors good to go?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

I noticed that, but I lived in dorms with communal showers and two people usually didn't have a toilet in the room. Likely not a big deal, but I'd be willing to bet they'd do something stupid like 1-2 toilets/showers to a room and that's it. This makes it look like there aren't any communal showers, so I hope everyone in that 8-person pod likes the showers constantly running.

https://twitter.com/spokanerising/status/1453927747277840388

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That Works posted:

And one shower. Ugh sharing a toilet with 7 strangers who are away from home for the first time and experimenting with managing their own diet and booze intake. From looking at the layout there don't even appear to be backup toilets you could use down the hall.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hyrax Attack! posted:

And one shower. Ugh sharing a toilet with 7 strangers who are away from home for the first time and experimenting with managing their own diet and booze intake. From looking at the layout there don't even appear to be backup toilets you could use down the hall.

Chamber pots are the hottest new dorm decor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I lived in a pretty miserable dorm but we had like 2 banks of toilets and shower per floor, say 10 toilets and 12 showers for 36 rooms holding 72 people total.

Gonna suck when 4 of the 8 people have a class at the same time and only one person gets to poo poo, shower, shave before going to class.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

My dorm in college was 1to4 so yeah this would just be the next evolution of that

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
No way they build this as it is designed, no loving way

There needs to be a window on each door and an observation tower in the middle of each "house"/center of building first

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Turn your liberal indoctrination centers into a gulag with one neat trick

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arven posted:

There were similar dorms where I went to school only they only had 6 people per shared unit, and they were wait listed. People will put up with a lot if they don't have to sleep in the same room as someone else.

8 dudes sharing a single shower and toilet would suck though.

Theres something blocked in the view so maybe its 2 toilets and 1 shower?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

“97-year old billionaire turned amateur architect designing a dorm” is a straight up discarded Mr. Burns subplot from a Simpsons episode.

“Windows? Fresh air? Bah, Smithers! We’re designing a dormitory, not a sanitarium! I trust that the showers will only spray cold water and the food in the dining hall will have a steady level of saltpeter in every meal, yes? Can’t let the libido go unchecked!”

This is a very solid pastiche gj

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My Spirit Otter posted:

? Our spaces were even smaller and you can’t even gently caress in them because of the bunk or the wall above them. My issue with these isn’t the private rooms or even the lack of windows it’s the hilarious inadequate bathrooms and showers. All it takes is one guy unwilling to jack it in his bunk to make everyone in that pod lose potty access for big block of time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's shocking how everyone will blow the rich at the merest suggestion. I could design a better building in my sleep and we all know how loving stupid I am

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
severely increase the incidences of mental illness in your student population with this one wierd trick!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

That Works posted:

We had 4 showers/4 stalls for 52.

I did not live in the dorms past freshman year.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

facialimpediment posted:

JFC, that's like being back on the old CV-60, except no planes landing on the ceiling of the 03

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can’t even begin to fathom how gross those bathrooms will be and what type of debauchery goes on in those concentr….dorm rooms

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Yeah, this is what my dwarf fortress bedroom area looks like around about the time everyone flips out and I lose the fortress in a tantrum spiral.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Loden Taylor posted:

Yeah, this is what my dwarf fortress bedroom area looks like around about the time everyone flips out and I lose the fortress in a tantrum spiral.

poo poo you can actually play dwarf fortresses an accomplishment I doubt this guy could ever do.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's shocking how everyone will blow the rich at the merest suggestion. I could design a better building in my sleep and we all know how loving stupid I am

200ms is a pretty strong suggestion. I wonder if their legal department ran the math for expected legal expenses against the savings of using the floorplan.

Really we cant make a final assessment without comparing what else id available on UCSBs campus

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Grip it and rip it posted:

Really we cant make a final assessment without comparing what else id available on UCSBs campus

I don’t think this is true. If something sucks then it sucks.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Grip it and rip it posted:

200ms is a pretty strong suggestion. I wonder if their legal department ran the math for expected legal expenses against the savings of using the floorplan.

Plus remember they're probably charging an assload for each room (and may be one of those schools that requires first-years to live on campus so they have to pay for it), so it's not just the fact that it's built for free it's also the case that it could be really efficient at turning suffering into money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Reminder that Zuck's wax sculpture at Madam Tussaud's looks more human than he actually does

He looks like the dude in every zombie movie who was bitten in the last fight but didn't tell anyone. And we all know he's changing.