Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Looke posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1454036422273478656?s=20
might be nothing but... lol... thank god for the freemarket!!!!1!1

They are ready now, they got all their shares bought in rival companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Looke posted:

Government should set up to be the supplier of last resort. Works well enough for the trains.

And then just keep the contracts. Boom, nationalised.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Government should set up to be the supplier of last resort. Works well enough for the trains.

And then just keep the contracts. Boom, nationalised.

A mysterious figure calmly says thank you in Mandarin down the phone, hangs up, and turns on his leather swivel chair to look at a wall of TVs announcing the nationalisation of yet another industry. Curiously he seems to be gently stroking a large horseradish....

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

peanut- posted:

Is he using a bottle of brown sauce as a book end?

Americans don't have brown sauce (and as far as they do it's called A1 and looks a bit like a narrow HP bottle). That's Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, which you can find over here too and is actually p good. Have it with chicken nuggets!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I love VR, and I'm so glad that a glass eyed Doctor Who alien is so many people's first experience of the powers behind the industry.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/damiengayle/status/1454075246147952644

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Americans don't have brown sauce (and as far as they do it's called A1 and looks a bit like a narrow HP bottle). That's Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, which you can find over here too and is actually p good. Have it with chicken nuggets!

Oh that's much more normal.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lady Eliza Manners, my word

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A £700,000 apartment in Notting Hill is a ~500 sq ft studio.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought Lady Manners was part of the Buster Bloodvessel extended universe.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lets be honest 700k apartment in central london isn't that outrageous.

The whole dining in luxury restaurants, running a successful interior design business and regularly wearing clothes worth thousands of pounds and then claiming hardship though, well.

e;fb

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

peanut- posted:

Yes but when you're talking about ability to pay a speeding fine, price is more relevant than square footage

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Valko posted:

Oh, it gets better than that.

Needs to refine the parameter limits on his facial mesh, that’s all

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

How the gently caress would 700 grand be enough for any kind of snobby apartment in Notting Hill? She lives in a medium size studio flat?

Or did she buy the place in 1982?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely am not sure if in my lifetime zucc will monster factory himself IRL.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jaete posted:

I wouldn't even be surprised if she'd been approved for a mortgage at Age -5 tbh

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1453370369449025544

This was from a couple of days ago.

Which bridge did she use? The Golden Gate Bridge.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

peanut- posted:

Aye and don't forget the service charges - £3k p.a. wouldn't be untypical!

Not defending Lady Manners here, but quoting the value of a London property is meaningless for the majority of people who (a) do not live in London and (b) have zero idea of exactly how much it costs to own or rent property in London (see the oft mentioned "millionaire" J Corbsta with his £1m Islington house that would cost about £50k in the butt end of Cardiff and probably cost him about the same when he bought it.)

£700k round here gets you a 4/5 bed /2-3 reception freehold country home with land, not a 40-80sqm leasehold apartment with ongoing service charges. The other catch is how long is the lease? Any flat property that looks remotely reasonable price in London is often on a very short lease.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Looke posted:

If you are with Bulb for your energy (like me) make sure you have a copy of your latest statement downloaded so when the website goes offline you have proof of the amount of credit in your account when Ofgem transfers you over to the supplier of last resort. If you haven't already started transferring off don't try now as there's a chance your Bulb account closure refund doesn't get processed

but lol at the 7th largest energy supplier (who constantly espouse their green credentials) going to the wall during the governments hosting of an international climate conference

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1453370369449025544

This was from a couple of days ago.

Which bridge did she use? The Golden Gate Bridge.

Also just in general it's complete bollocks, unless she meant "one of the most expensive in the world".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they had used the sydney harbour bridge they could at least claim it was made in the UK. But I would think the golden gate bridge would have been made using US steel.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Private Speech posted:

Also just in general it's complete bollocks, unless she meant "one of the most expensive in the world".

I can't remember who but recently someone made the point that a visa system to attract "the best and brightest" was essentially making the argument that forrins should have the good jobs but all the poo poo jobs should be done by the British :laugh:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I bet the personal driver is called Danny and he has his own staff quarters in the flat.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The great and the good of the world are coming to... Greenock. Good luck to them.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Doccykins posted:

If you are with Bulb for your energy (like me) make sure you have a copy of your latest statement downloaded so when the website goes offline you have proof of the amount of credit in your account when Ofgem transfers you over to the supplier of last resort. If you haven't already started transferring off don't try now as there's a chance your Bulb account closure refund doesn't get processed

Does your credit transfer over? In the Netherlands it doesn't so people are scrambling to cancel their latest direct debit to get at least some of their money back. Wonderful stuff that free market

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Does your credit transfer over? In the Netherlands it doesn't so people are scrambling to cancel their latest direct debit to get at least some of their money back. Wonderful stuff that free market

Yes, credit transfers over and is protected.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

jaete posted:

How the gently caress would 700 grand be enough for any kind of snobby apartment in Notting Hill? She lives in a medium size studio flat?

Bit like Corbyn's "Million pound Islington mansion" or whatever the gently caress they called it.

"He's worth 2 million quid!"

Yeah 'cause he bought a house in Islington that he's had for like 30 years, plus he's near 70 years old and he's got a pension that's built up over the same amount of time.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Latest TV license letter and they've given up on the red and are now threatening me in bright green ink.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

People really, really overstate the prices of flats in London apart from in a couple of postcodes.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/59949893/?featured=1&utm_content=featured_listing - here's a 3 bed mansion flat in Bayswater (and when old money tell you they live in Notting Hill they definitely actually live in Bayswater or Queensway) for £600k.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/60025946/?search_identifier=6da744008edbd6e0d0845610c42f3c31 - a more traditional Notting Hill 2-bed flat above a shot for £600k

There's half a dozen other 2- and 3-bed flats for sale in Notting Hill right now for around £700k, in fact that seems to be about the median price for a subdivided flat. Of course this is still an utterly loving ridiculous sum that's out of reach of all but the very richest, even in London, but the old million-quid broom cupboard stories are mostly in Knightsbridge or Kensington where they're just being used in international money laundering (or used for servants of the various billionaires who have literally no idea what they're paying, just that they want their personal nose hair trimmer at immediate beck and call before they head off to pay £5k for a gold-leaf steak).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Latest TV license letter and they've given up on the red and are now threatening me in bright green ink.

Is it any more coherent/incoherent than the previous ones?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Looke posted:

gently caress, we have a couple hundred quid credit with them and no way to withdraw it.

This house is expensive to run over the winter, I'm not sure we're going to be able to afford it.

Doccykins posted:

Going to try this, thanks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Just Another Lurker posted:

Is it any more coherent/incoherent than the previous ones?

Pretty sure its the same text, I've been "targeted" and handed to an enforcement team who will come at any time of day or night and I have an official sounding made up code.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I screenshot my credit amount with E every few days and yeh cheers I treated us to a bit of the central heating

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oops bus fingers

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

keep punching joe posted:

Nothing, what's a meta with you?

Why you looka so sad?

A dark day in English music entertainment indeed

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/59949893/?featured=1&utm_content=featured_listing - here's a 3 bed mansion flat in Bayswater (and when old money tell you they live in Notting Hill they definitely actually live in Bayswater or Queensway) for £600k.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/60025946/?search_identifier=6da744008edbd6e0d0845610c42f3c31 - a more traditional Notting Hill 2-bed flat above a shot for £600k

First of those: 49 years of lease left. Def wouldn't buy

Second is a share of freehold though. Cheaper than I'd have expected for sure, has a bloody garden too, the works

What I've been thinking about personally though is places with no neighbours above or below (fully detached would be even better but can't get that in London with normal-person budget). How far would I need to go from zone 1 before townhouse slices or whatever become affordable? At least zone 3 or something I guess?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

First of those: 49 years of lease left. Def wouldn't buy

Second is a share of freehold though. Cheaper than I'd have expected for sure, has a bloody garden too, the works

What I've been thinking about personally though is places with no neighbours above or below (fully detached would be even better but can't get that in London with normal-person budget). How far would I need to go from zone 1 before townhouse slices or whatever become affordable? At least zone 3 or something I guess?

Define "affordable". Cottage flats and dockers (both basically terraces) go for >£400k in E14 all the time because they're too small to be divvied into flats. If you want under £250k and no neighbours there's houseboats aplenty in Zone 2 but that's probably not what you're after.

I was digging around because I know someone who got a semi-detached in Plaistow for about £300k which is probably as good as you're going to get, but I got distracted by this: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/59234562/?search_identifier=f4f5a4add323153b57081032c38be3e8 and demand the solidarity fund pay my deposit on it.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Go to south London to places that connect to the centre via the overground. Garden and 3 bed for 450k or so if you go for zone 3/4. Around Plumstead/West Ham might get it even cheaper and that's on the underground in zone 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah there's one of those in Gloucester which was for sale for ages, now it's a holiday let.

UKMT project, when everything goes tits up we can just be pirates.