Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tin Tim posted:

Looking for some hot tips on stuff like Broken Blade or Knights & Magic. Mecha anime but with a setting that's not really sci-fi :wave:

Panzer World Galient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thx for the suggestions! Escaflowne and Dunbine are already on my "watch at some point" list but the rest is unknown to me so I'm gonna check them out

Also I've learned that I'm a sucker for mecha anime that has knights, lords & ladies and wars between feudal kingdoms and poo poo

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 26, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So as you know I come here for help now and then but I was wondering if anyone would make a seinen anime series thread or point me to one. Stuff like ACCA 13 and gankutsuouo or w/e. Doesn't strictly need to be seinen could be I think josei? easy source the way the manga thread is? I am asking for someone else to do it through a combination of really not knowing enough series and laziness

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/42/Seinen
https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/43/Josei

general demographic threads have existed, and always died

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ty

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
the seinen thread isn't that dead. josei is just folded in the romance thread though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You can also just make a dedicated thread if you feel like it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Shounen and Seinen threads have always been popular. although they are more focused on manga because usually an anime will get its own thread, or just be discussed in the season thread.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm looking for anime (and/or manga, which I mentioned because I can't find a manga recommendation thread) where the main character is very good/skilled. It can be in general or at a specific thing. An embodiment of TV Tropes' "The Ace": https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheAce.

Ideally the character won't have other flaws such as major personality flaws or emotional/mental problems that the plot uses to offset their skill. I'd like pure unrealistic excellence.

Instead of asking for a specific genre I'll say that any genre is fine as long as you think the anime (and/or manga) is extremely good/high quality.

The only example I can think of, which might not fit the "extremely good" criteria, is Food Wars, where the main character is very good at cooking.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not "good" but I'm pretty sure Golgo 13 treats the protagonist as an unbeatable Superman.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

One Punch Man seems like the obvious choice, in as much as the anime and manga play with and have fun with the concept, Saitama being an unstoppable superman is still a p big core power fantasy of at least the early arcs

Dr Stone is basically this. every character is supremely good at at least one thing, often several things.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 29, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

One Punch Man seems like the obvious choice, in as much as the anime and manga play with and have fun with the concept, Saitama being an unstoppable superman is still a p big core power fantasy of at least the early arcs

He's also lazy, depressed, and kinda dumb. Not a perfect fit, despite Saitama being the best at punching by far. Even at the beginning, it's clear that Saitama's power isn't much fun for him. Maybe Lupin? He's a superhero, after all. The hero of today.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nodame Cantabile, that's not unrealistic excellence though so maybe Saiki K

That Works fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 29, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

He's also lazy, depressed, and kinda dumb. Not a perfect fit, despite Saitama being the best at punching by far. Even at the beginning, it's clear that Saitama's power isn't much fun for him. Maybe Lupin? He's a superhero, after all. The hero of today.

He's also one of like 3 people in existence who understands what it really means to be a hero and that comes up far more often than him being significantly impeded by any of his personality flaws. which are typically used as jokes rather than being real shortcomings for him, his own sense of ennui not withstanding.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ahobday posted:

I'm looking for anime (and/or manga, which I mentioned because I can't find a manga recommendation thread) where the main character is very good/skilled. It can be in general or at a specific thing. An embodiment of TV Tropes' "The Ace": https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheAce.

Ideally the character won't have other flaws such as major personality flaws or emotional/mental problems that the plot uses to offset their skill. I'd like pure unrealistic excellence.

Instead of asking for a specific genre I'll say that any genre is fine as long as you think the anime (and/or manga) is extremely good/high quality.

The only example I can think of, which might not fit the "extremely good" criteria, is Food Wars, where the main character is very good at cooking.

It's been a bit but my memory of trigun fits this very well

Also hellsing ultimate though alucard kinda steps off the stage for the middle third of the story or so

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sakamoto desu ga
saki

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ninjewtsu posted:

It's been a bit but my memory of trigun fits this very well

Also hellsing ultimate though alucard kinda steps off the stage for the middle third of the story or so

Kinda spoilers for Trigun but it might not exactly qualify: protagonist is a living WMD but his naive "must not kill under any circumstances, no matter how many times the cartoonishly-evil villain taunts you by saying he's just gonna resume murdering innocents if you let him go, and then proceeds to do exactly that" shtick is unsurprisingly based on psychological trauma

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ahobday posted:

Ironically, Yakitate!! Japan's protag probably fits the bill. :v:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AlternateNu posted:

Ironically, Yakitate!! Japan's protag probably fits the bill. :v:

Hahah yes

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ahobday posted:

Golden Boy

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
you might check out currently-airing sci-fi donghua The Defective, pretty much all the leads are incredibly skilled and OP in their various fields but especially Lin Jingheng. There's just one episode left for the season also so it's a good time to binge it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ahobday posted:

Zero: Man of Creation - a forger so good he only creates "originals"
Master Keaton - hyper competent insurance investigator
Professor Munakata - he knows everything about Japanese folklore and is always right

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ahobday posted:

if you want a manga you can breeze through in under an hour, misappropriation investigator nakabo rintaro

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ahobday posted:

if you're okay with isekai, give The Eminence in Shadow a shot. it is extremely silly while playing at being deadly serious. the main character is absolutely unparalleled, but his only real goal is trying to look as cool as he possibly can in the most edgelord/chuuni way possible at all times when he's not in his secret weakling alter ego mode, and when he's in that mode he goes to extreme lengths to be the weakest ling he could ever be. It's a fun read.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 30, 2021

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I was about to say that most Isekai probably fit the bill, especially anything with some variation of "slow life" in the title, but yea, the Eminence in Shadow one is a good fit.
He's trying to be the all-controlling fate-steering "shadow behind the throne" figure and the world and all its inhabitants go to great lengths to interpret everything in his favor.

Pictured: The MC reacting to the world bending itself into a pretzel trying to make him look good

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 29, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm trying to track down a version of the Space Battleship Yamato theme and my youtube searching is failing me. It's an orchestral arrangement that came out around the time 2199 remake aired. The only way I can really describe it to help narrow it down is that it starts with a full chorus singing the main title right before a drop into the main melody.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can it be the tv version of the op?
https://soundcloud.com/user-484450349/32-space-battleship-yamato

the remake had several different versions of the op, the most well known one is probably the one sung by the legendary Isao Sasaki, however for the japanese tv airing they had another op done by a large amount of anime celebs and anime bands, the one in the link. if its not that one, the soundtrack album has 4 versions of the op on it. Alternatively, and very unlikely, Geinoh Yamashirogumi has another version of the op

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Davincie posted:

can it be the tv version of the op?
https://soundcloud.com/user-484450349/32-space-battleship-yamato

the remake had several different versions of the op, the most well known one is probably the one sung by the legendary Isao Sasaki, however for the japanese tv airing they had another op done by a large amount of anime celebs and anime bands, the one in the link. if its not that one, the soundtrack album has 4 versions of the op on it. Alternatively, and very unlikely, Geinoh Yamashirogumi has another version of the op

Yes, that's the one! My youtube search kept bringing up the Sasaki version, which is great, but I really wanted the one with that big drop at the start.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks all for the recommendations about shounen where the the protagonist doesn't overshadow the other characters as the series progress.

World trigger looks like something i would enjoy, is the anime a good adaptation or should i try the manga?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Thanks all for the recommendations about shounen where the the protagonist doesn't overshadow the other characters as the series progress.

World trigger looks like something i would enjoy, is the anime a good adaptation or should i try the manga?

i've not seen s1 of the anime but the general recommendation is to avoid it. Toei did it as a 70-odd episode run, so the already middling quality would only fluctuate more in a long production like that where they're also shifting staff around to different series. i'd assume WT didn't get too much love as a smaller fish alongside their bigger franchises like Precure etc, but this is mostly based on my experience with their similar and disappointing Toriko adaptation. s2 and s3 are a big improvement, with production being done closer to other modern shonen in 12-episode chunks that leave a season of "break" between airing them. quality is still variable but they focus on putting their best into the fight scenes while the downtime/talking stuff don't need to be at such a high level. s3 is only just getting into things so this could change, but overall i thought s2 did very well adapting things.

i default to just recommending the manga since you can get a continuous experience that way, and then go back to enjoy seeing it as anime. if you do opt for a mix, reading the manga up to ch120 would put you right where s2 starts.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
World trigger also just has a very slow opening, and even if the anime was faster paced it'd still drag a lot at the beginning. It only really starts getting good at ch25, and is unlikely to really hook a reader until the big arc starting on ch44. For that reason I'd recommend starting with the manga, and either sticking with it or switching to the anime when s2 starts.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ahobday posted:

First thing that comes to mind is Fist of the North Star. Major villains still challenge Kenshiro, but very often he just seems to be toying with his enemies. The 80s anime is cheaply done, but has an iconic style to it; you may end up preferring it to the manga anyway.

Any animation of Lupin the 3rd comes pretty close to this, though it varies from episode to episode. I'd also second the recommendation of Golgo 13.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
What are some manga/anime with Stupid loving Abilities like Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, etc.?

Just give me the most convoluted and over-the-top poo poo please. Long winded explanations, total rear end pulls, sudden jumps in power levels, you name it.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Thoren posted:

What are some manga/anime with Stupid loving Abilities like Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, etc.?

Just give me the most convoluted and over-the-top poo poo please. Long winded explanations, total rear end pulls, sudden jumps in power levels, you name it.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is an all-timer in this category, particularly Part III and beyond. Standout abilities include:
- stealing the soul of anyone who can be defeated at poker
- summoning a tiny plane armed with guns, bombs, and radar
- attaching demonic riders to pistol bullets who can kick them to reroute them in midair

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thoren posted:

Fire Force, where all powers come from manipulating fire.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thoren posted:

Long winded explanations, total rear end pulls, sudden jumps in power levels, you name it.

Check out Jujutsu Kaisen it covers all of these lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thoren posted:

Black Clover

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thoren posted:

fate/zero and fate/stay night unlimited blade works. the premise is summoning mythological figures that have powers based on their myths. for instnace lancelot once used a branch to fight off enemies, therefore hes capable of using any weapon, therefore hes capable of using a gatling gun.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Does Slime count? I know 'overpowered isekai' isn't the same kind of genre as the other ones on here, but some of the abilities that get made out of thin air are truly ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thoren posted:

Bungo Stray Dogs takes a while to have any big fights, but it does have powers like "immune to bombs but only if they are shaped like lemons" and "becoming physically stronger with the more money spent on anything in a short time interval."