Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

zegermans posted:

One thing Europeans suck about is spaying/neutering. Every time I go to Austria I just see dog balls everywhere.

Why would you cut off a dog's balls? Do you just let them run around outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

actionjackson posted:

false

solid wood is really unstable, if I had something that was just wood it would contract and expand because there's a lot of humidity variation where I live. Eventually it would crack.

it is true that the internal frame of the eames recliner above is plywood, but then it's veneered. I have no idea if MDF even existed when that chair was originally made though.

ok, you are partially correct: MDF is better for manufacturers. For longevity, strength, ability to resurface, plywood is better

high end cabinet boxes and other fine woodwork use plywood. MDF is for mass production and fumigating your home w formaldehyde offgasses

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

neither dog balls nor furniture wood change the fact that cars are in fact, bad

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

might gently caress around and buy a brompton

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
carbrain emissions

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVh75ylAUXY

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mila kunis posted:

wheres the we cant have transit because large dogs guy. show yourself coward

https://blog.theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com/boji-dog-istanbul/

Officials Put A Tracker On A Dog Using Public Transportation And Learned He Traveled 30 Km Every Day

Boji is a very intelligent animal and locals have gotten to know him quite well. He navigates his way through the public transportation system on his own, taking the tram line, Metro, and sometimes he would even hop on a train.

Boji freakin owns, this thread is the Boji appreciation station

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lil poopendorfer posted:

ok, you are partially correct: MDF is better for manufacturers. For longevity, strength, ability to resurface, plywood is better

high end cabinet boxes and other fine woodwork use plywood. MDF is for mass production and fumigating your home w formaldehyde offgasses

I have no idea about wood stuff that isn't furniture, but plenty of high end furniture uses MDF. however they do it with a really nice, thick veneering.

my media unit is from this collection, and I'd hardly consider treku to be "mass production" unless you are using a really strict definition of that. like if you're talking about one old danish dude making each piece by hand over a year then maybe, though a lot of that stuff is solid wood, perhaps because they are being strict to the original design (i.e. stuff from finn juhl, carl hanssen and son, etc.)

https://www.treku.com/en/about-us/
https://www.dwr.com/living-media-storage/aura-media-unit/1198.html?lang=en_US (I paid 880 lol)

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I make furniture. MDF is garbage for anything that will be touched or seen or have the remotest chance of contact with water. Manufacturers use it because it is highly consistent, machinable, cheap, and dimensionally stable. It makes really good speaker boxes. That is all.

actionjackson posted:

I have no idea about wood stuff that isn't furniture, but plenty of high end furniture uses MDF. however they do it with a really nice, thick veneering.
Expensive maybe. But any schmuck will pay a bunch for something that looks good.

Dolphin has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Oct 29, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

are you talking about just MDF, or veneered MDF? there's a furniture company based here called room and board, definitely higher end and modern stuff, and pretty much all the small furniture makers they work with do veneered MDF. I've never heard of any issues.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:15 on Oct 29, 2021

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

actionjackson posted:

are you talking about just MDF, or veneered MDF? there's a furniture company based here called room and board, definitely higher end and modern stuff, and pretty much all the small furniture makers they work with do veneered MDF. I've never heard of any issues.
MDF is fairly weak structurally and will eventually give way to the elements no matter how you treat it. It breaks down under heat and moisture, and even carefully protected can only be reliably expected to last 10-15 years which is a problem for a material that can't really be recycled.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dolphin posted:

MDF is fairly weak structurally and will eventually give way to the elements no matter how you treat it. It breaks down under heat and moisture, and even carefully protected can only be reliably expected to last 10-15 years which is a problem for a material that can't really be recycled.

that's why I asked about veneering. I certainly wouldn't want real wood because of the stability issues.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You wouldn't want the material humans have been engineering furniture out of for thousands and thousands of years, that can last several lifetimes, is sustainable and easily disposable, non-toxic, hard, durable, water resistant, and easy to repair?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol that's quite a loaded question. I'm not going to use solid wood on a major furniture piece in a part of the country that has enormous humidity swings

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean do what you want but that furniture is all going to be in a landfill within 20 years.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I can understand how there is a concern about wood cracking over time from swelling/shrinking, but is that really something that wood workers haven't considered in their designs? Also staining/sanding/finishing/veneer's etc don't mitigate those problems?

Also cars started being the worst when they stopped making them out of wood.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dolphin posted:

I mean do what you want but that furniture is all going to be in a landfill within 20 years.

I have wood cabinets (maple), they came with the place which was built in 2005, and most of the doors and drawers have developed warpage over time. So they don't close evenly, or are extremely loud when they close. Which is not surprising, because it's wood, and I live in an area that sees temps everywhere from -30 to 110.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Dolphin posted:

I make furniture. MDF is garbage for anything that will be touched or seen or have the remotest chance of contact with water. Manufacturers use it because it is highly consistent, machinable, cheap, and dimensionally stable. It makes really good speaker boxes. That is all.

Expensive maybe. But any schmuck will pay a bunch for something that looks good.

I basically agree with this. Plywood retains the strength of the wood grain and makes it better by layering it perpendicularly. MDF is just pressed & glued wood pulp.

Tbf I don’t know poo poo about fancy furniture but as a wood material MDF is low grade. Still, that’s the way the wind is blowing these days so whatever. So long as you like your furniture that’s the important part :)

Plus I get the impression that the expensive part of high end furniture is generally the design/exclusivity and maybe even some kinda Veblen good effect

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gently caress joe

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

as i was dropping my kid off at daycare today, taking him out of the elaborate and expensive safety seat in my car, i found myself thinking for the millionth time how insane it is that we deform our lives completely around cars, which despite all our efforts are STILL insanely deadly for children, rather than try to reduce our need for them. bonkers. sick society.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
before cars if your toddler ran out of the house you'd be like "oh crap he might fall and hurt himself"

now you're like "oh no timmy might get ground up into mince meat"

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

as i was dropping my kid off at daycare today, taking him out of the elaborate and expensive safety seat in my car, i found myself thinking for the millionth time how insane it is that we deform our lives completely around cars, which despite all our efforts are STILL insanely deadly for children, rather than try to reduce our need for them. bonkers. sick society.

it fuckin owns that everyone drives their kids to/from school now bc it's too dangerous not to due to all the goddamn cars

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

maybe you just need the extra large suv with bull bars.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

train good. car bad.

https://twitter.com/thegallowboob/status/1453885187863965699?s=20

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

today: corn on the tracks
tomorrow: deer heads on the tracks

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

had to drive my car. i managed to get everything i needed at one of those god awful strip malls, so I parked in the middle so I could easily walk to everything. saw someone pull out on one side of the strip mall, drive over to the other side of the strip mall, and park again

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

20 years from now plywood furniture can be redeemed for 10 skulls, MDF only 5 skulls. a car can be traded for your execution

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Did he have 50 greyhounds with him? I heard that excuses loving car culture

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't understand people who spend 10 minutes hunting for a parking spot as close to the doors as possible instead of just finding an open spot and walking for 20 seconds longer

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't understand people who spend 10 minutes hunting for a parking spot as close to the doors as possible instead of just finding an open spot and walking for 20 seconds longer
they're fatasses, op

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

then you don't understand America :911:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

expecting people to walk from the far end of the parking lot is fatphobic and ableist

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

actionjackson posted:

had to drive my car. i managed to get everything i needed at one of those god awful strip malls, so I parked in the middle so I could easily walk to everything. saw someone pull out on one side of the strip mall, drive over to the other side of the strip mall, and park again

:negative:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we could just segregate the walkers and bikers from the car and suv folk and let natural selection take its place

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

i dated someone just after high school, who insisted on driving up and down the same two rows of parking waiting for a close spot to open up.

in retrospect this was a missed red flag

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for me, not getting creamed by giant fuckoff suvs blasting up the parking lot is a bit of a consideration, so i do try to stay close to the rest of the pack. like a baby zebra.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sat on my keys! posted:

it fuckin owns that everyone drives their kids to/from school now bc it's too dangerous not to due to all the goddamn cars

lol we have a big front yard and my wife doesn't want our kid to play in it ever because what if he runs into the street and gets murdered by a driver. which, fair, but why is this situation allowed to persist!!! front yard is nothing but a time suck, the kid can't play there so it just exists for me to mow. bad society. and neighborhood deed restrictions do not allow fences for front yards lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

:)

cars >:[

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

nice FATPHOBIA bitch. please do some learning as it's not my job to educate you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
and also yes it's hilariously stupid.

whenever i go to costco or something im taking the very first noteble open spot i see instead of like going into the gaping maws of giant suv death. spending even longer than that trying to find that one open spot closer is just really dumb.

also cars are dumb. death to cars.