Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Now's the right time to challenge the Queen to combat for the throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

That I have heard of. Glad I got it before someone else now.

That's what I like about this thread, you have a question there's usually one or two posters who have a decent knowledge of the answer.

Like I say I've no evidence of their involvement, only a suspicion because they have been diversifying into their own weird little ecosystem of free papers and "independent" websites to get around social media bans and as an astroturfing network. QAnonAnonymous did a pretty good summary of what they've been up to in the Qniverse but they're present on just about every front of the culture wars.

On the other hand:

They're selling tinfoil hats, I'm convinced.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

:allears:

And I'm not even mad that someone is grifting these idiots

e: loving hell, they quote some legal case that I didn't know. It looked like it was in the US format

.... and I was correct, https://casetext.com/case/cruden-v-neale... and it's from 1796. I thought that was a reference code, not a loving date. lol
My reading of that is that it essentially says 'during a switch over from monarchy to republic you can't just assume that all the monarchists are now citizens of the republic and subject to its responsibilities" but the important bit is where it also says "so they're free to gently caress off back to their monarchy if they want."

Not "Their seventh generation ancestors can opt out of the law of the land, but still benefit from living in it."

Pseudo edit tldr: "dun like it, there's the door."

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Like I say I've no evidence of their involvement, only a suspicion because they have been diversifying into their own weird little ecosystem of free papers and "independent" websites to get around social media bans and as an astroturfing network. QAnonAnonymous did a pretty good summary of what they've been up to in the Qniverse but they're present on just about every front of the culture wars.

On the other hand:

I'd buy a full suit but tin foil boxers sounds painful.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If the queen dies this month I'll reactivate my Twitter.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Now's the right time to challenge the Queen to combat for the throne.

Are you equipped to repel corgi-type attacks?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

lol of course they're based in Glasto, of course

and presumably planning on expanding up to Stroud and down to Totnes

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Saving Private Ryan is on TV now. The War Christmas people should be made to watch the first 30 minutes or so on repeat.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

So I forgot to pay congestion charge when I drove my daughter to evelina children's hospital back in February, and have just now received a letter from bailiffs (Marstons recovery) saying I need to pay them £323. This is literally the first time I've been contacted about this.

I'm pretty sure I'm hosed and will just have to pay them, but if any goons have some advice, I'd be delighted. Also goons tend to operate outside the hours of Monday - Friday 9 til 5, unlike Citizens Advice.

If you've got the PCN and you defiantly did it (forgot to pay the congestion charge), then there's not a lot you can do about it.
They should have contacted you first with the initial fine, and you can lodge a formal appeal if you think the correct procedures haven't been followed... I don't know what you're chances would be.

First thing to do is to talk to Marstons and explain that this is the first you've heard of it, and if you're not able to pay in one go- say so and say that you're going to take debt advice.
Marstons will probably try to get you to agree to a payment plan - if that's affordable, you can do that or go to an independent advice service.

Disclaimer - I currently work for StepChange as a debt advisor, although not for long as it's driven me to the edge of a breakdown.

StepChange are an independent debt advice charity who will go thorough your income/expenditure to generate a budget to prove to Marstons that you can't pay it all in one go, and either give you an amount to offer to them to pay the debt over time or suggest a debt solution for that debt and any others you have (Typically a debt management plan to repay or an insolvency like a DRO if you can't (and qualify for it ! ) ).
They are an Advice service, and you're not committing or agreeing to Anything by going through a budget with them (The advisors you speak to have one target - First Time Debt Advice, which means they give you the advice regardless of if you go with it or not).

A PCN is classed as a Priority debt, so what you can afford to pay to this would be calculated separately to any proposed debt solution- this would give you the figure to go back to Marstons with (They'll usually accept that when back up with a StepChange budget).

The other thing you can do is something called "Breathing Space" - which is a government scheme to provide protection to people seeking advice on their debts for up to 60 days (This is not to be confused with a creditor putting an account on hold and saying they have given you breathing space. They haven't, they are just using the term to describe putting an account on hold).
This Breathing Space puts a hold on most debts (Universal Credit Advances are an exception for eg) - stopping all interest, charges and enforcement action; so it stops Marstons turning up at your house and charging your for it.

The protection lasts for 60 days (provided you keep up with your bills and are seeking debt advice), or until you get a debt solution in place.

It *has* to be applied for through a recognised debt advice provider - such as StepChange, CAB or National Debt Line.

If you're on the Breathing Space scheme, you're not committing to any solution, just to take (free!) advice. I've put people on the scheme who just need a few weeks while sorting out repaying their debts on their own.

(Edit Bailiff stuff)
If Marstons are planning on turning up to seize goods to pay the debt, they should write to you first to let you know this and give 7 days notice.
For this kind of debt, they do NOT have a right to force entry. They have a right of entry - so if the door is unlocked or someone else lets them in thats too bad- but they can't get the locksmiths out like on Channel-5.
They can clamp a car you have if it's not on finance (as the car isn't yours until it's all paid off)
Some bailiffs are also clamping cars that are on finance (claiming that you have an interest in the vehicle)- it's bullshit, but as it's a civil matter the police won't get involved and if you try to remove the clamp that's criminal damage.
So in Either case, if you know they are coming, park somewhere they can't find the car.

If the bailiffs do get in, they will make a list of your stuff to seize to pay the debt - this is called a Controlled Goods Agreement, and once they have that, they then have a right to force entry later on to take the stuff away.
The other thing is, with Covid, it's only since June that bailiffs have been allowed to go back into peoples houses, so the High Court ruled earlier in the year that they can put together a Controlled Goods Agreement from outside by looking through the windows (or over a video-link) - but if this is the case and they haven't been inside, it's not valid until you sign it.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 29, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1453370369449025544

This was from a couple of days ago.

Which bridge did she use? The Golden Gate Bridge.

I... I think liz truss is my favourite MP

*warm gushing feeling in my head*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The brain smoothing keeps getting more powerful, I'm not sure if I can command such spherical brains without palming my own face.

As it's spooky season, here's a far more interesting thing about history, technology, counterculture, rationality, religion, and if Isaac Newton had a TikTok.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Does 'lovingly hand made' mean they rub their genitals on them while they make them.

Asking for a friend.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Julio Cruz posted:

lol of course they're based in Glasto, of course

and presumably planning on expanding up to Stroud and down to Totnes

:arghfist::mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
prediction: when queen dies this thread will be entirely people loling and people telling off people for lolling and people telling off people telling off people for lolling

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
for a bit

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's gonna be Big Lols

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

prediction: when queen dies this thread will be entirely people loling and people telling off people for lolling and people telling off people telling off people for lolling

My prediction is she will be murdered by Charles as he essentially recreates the Nepalese royal family massacre, because the guy who did that got to be King for like minutes before he died & that's all Charles need.

And of course the happy ending for Nepal is that the Maoists took over, a notable improvement from royals.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Charles will ensure mummy croaks during cop26. He assumes the throne and impounds all foreign leaders until environmental standards he decrees are met with.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

Until it sinks in that we're stuck with PM Boris and King Charles and nobody is coming to rescue us

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

forkboy84 posted:

My prediction is she will be murdered by Charles as he essentially recreates the Nepalese royal family massacre, because the guy who did that got to be King for like minutes before he died & that's all Charles need.

And of course the happy ending for Nepal is that the Maoists took over, a notable improvement from royals.
It's Prince Andrew trying to work himself to the top so he can claim sovereign immunity.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Renfield posted:

Disclaimer - I currently work for StepChange as a debt advisor, although not for long as it's driven me to the edge of a breakdown.

What's up fellow 'worked in debt management until having to try and sort out the consequences of capitalism broke your brain' poster. I used to work for a now-defunct insolvency company and my job was mainly looking at the dodgy poo poo we'd get sent by referral companies, phoning people and trying to explain that despite what they'd been told a DRO would be their best option to get their debts written off, or sending them over to StepChange if they were ineligible. Not a fun time, I sympathise with your plight

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CGI Stardust posted:

the Queen has swallowed a particularly large child and she's taking a while to digest him fully

the Queen's bit a gam (and choked on it)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Endjinneer posted:

Up here the working rule is that you can dump your sewage into the water because we're within one lock of the sea. The moorings community is split on those that do, and those that use a "composting toilet".
Which is a nice way of saying a big bucket and some sawdust to keep the smell down. Which you empty onto a heap at the end of the moorings, then it gets washed away the next flood.
Either way, the river consumes it.

Bulb better not loving go under. They cancelled our last meter installation because the microchip shortage means nobody has any smart meters in stock. We'd asked them to put a traditional clockwork one on and they've ghosted us since.

Composting toilets actually own - they have a separator in them that separates the solids from liquids, and there is zero (as in actually zero) smell if used properly. It's when you mix urine and shitit turns into sewage and becomes super nasty and corrosive..

Living on a boat is great, I used to live on a sailboat for 7 years in BC then attempted to sail around the world and got stuck in Mexico originally due to Brexit (I would have been halfway across the pacific when the first deadline was going to pass and as I was using my British passport so I could be an EU citizen and stay longer, I wasn't sure if French Polynesia was going to let me in) and then the next year due to covid so I had to sell my boat off down there, rip

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

Until it sinks in that we're stuck with PM Boris and King Charles and nobody is coming to rescue us

i mean we know no one is coming to rescue us, and the other things seem minor in comparison

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

STOP THE PRESSES!

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1454075419607633922

https://twitter.com/ProudGranny24/status/1454120375168774148

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1453370369449025544

This was from a couple of days ago.

Which bridge did she use? The Golden Gate Bridge.

What the gently caress is a competitive Visa system?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Gonzo McFee posted:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

fuctifino posted:

lol. Canal and River Trust. They are the organisation that maintain and control the inland waterways.

More info about continuous cruising is here https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/continuous-cruising

And if you want to go down a rabbit hole, check out the prices of narrowboats. https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/

Friend of mine had a mooring at Nottingham and lived there 8 months of the year then took it down to London and back to avoid council tax each year.

My god, the maintenance on the thing is crazy if it’s your actual house, and you better be fit because those locks aren’t going to open themselves. Is my main take on them.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Renfield posted:

Debt stuff

Don't forget the thread solidarity fund.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

PawParole posted:

God save our gracious King!
Long live our noble King!
God save the King!
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King!

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter his enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On him be pleased to pour;
Long may he reign:
May he defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the King!

May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God Save the King

Anyone who sings that full-throat, knowing every word and without a trace of irony should be kicked into the loving sea. And that includes the guy in the picture. (Somehow, I imagine the "you can grow concrete" talk-radio man would do all three.)

Plus side, this may start a new republican movement as people go "holy poo poo, what were we thinking for the past almost 70 years?"

Edit: I can only hear the "Rebellious Scots to crush" line in my head in the outraged voice of Billy Connolly.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Gonzo McFee posted:

One that only allows rich white westerners in?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gambrinus posted:

Saving Private Ryan is on TV now. The War Christmas people should be made to watch the first 30 minutes or so on repeat.

I get it, you want them all to die of zinc deficiency and friction burns.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Anyone who sings that full-throat, knowing every word and without a trace of irony should be kicked into the loving sea. And that includes the guy in the picture. (Somehow, I imagine the "you can grow concrete" talk-radio man would do all three.)

Plus side, this may start a new republican movement as people go "holy poo poo, what were we thinking for the past almost 70 years?"

Edit: I can only hear the "Rebellious Scots to crush" line in my head in the outraged voice of Billy Connolly.

Anyone who knows so much of a line of the second verse should be instantly investigated by MI5 as an obvious Russian sleeper agent.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

learnincurve posted:

My god, the maintenance on the thing is crazy if it’s your actual house, and you better be fit because those locks aren’t going to open themselves. Is my main take on them.

It can be. If I had the money, and suddenly the health, I'd custom fit an old aluminium hulled Sea Otter canal boat with a solar roof, a couple of pop up wind turbines, and have an electric motor backed up by a generator. With a good bank of 2V deep cycle fork-lift batteries, you would have very low running costs.

It's always been a fantasy of mine... a very distant one now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Please stop it with these electric vehicle dreams, theyre all nonsense

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Please stop it with these electric vehicle dreams, theyre all nonsense

That's completely true, if you ignore the significant number of electric narrowboats currently on the canals with 2V deep cycle battery banks, solar panel roofs and backup generators. You can't run completely off of solar, but during the summer months, you mostly can. I'm mostly fantasising about a setup like this because it would be near silent cruising.

e: In other news, a tornado warning has been issued. lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 30, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

is that a joke I'm missing? or theyve issued a vague tornado warning for like england?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Tornado, or a vortex has opened up above Buckingham Palace?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Communist Thoughts posted:

I... I think liz truss is my favourite MP

*warm gushing feeling in my head*
She could well be the next PM :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted: