Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Data Graham posted:

And especially the fact that they showed a shot of him floating away long after it was dramatically necessary for the plot beat of the moment. They might as well have cut to his POV and had him start talking to himself about how to recover and land on the opposite side of the ring like Naomi on the Expanse

Actually for me I felt his death scene didn't go on long enough considering how much screen time he had. Felt like they kept it to a minimum because he's not actually dead. Like wouldn't the warden be more broken up about it especially since she just lost her dad, I felt like if he Though you're right that that specific shot might have been too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nitrousoxide posted:

Extremely wild that their galaxy-brain plan is to grab a single person from the Foundation who maybe ran a warp capable ship for merchants decades ago (after indiscriminently slaughtering people at the colony for hours on end) and expect him to be able to operate a one-of-a-kind Empire military ship from at least 700 years ago (that's when it was lost, not when it was built) and do so with only a few hours to familiarize themselves with it due to the ship randomly jumping around the galaxy.

Is their warp expert even loving with them at this point? I don't think he is. Is the Warden, despite never having been in space in her life, supposed to be the one to fix the drive now?

I lol'd at "This UI is archaic, we're going to have to type in commands manually", like ok we've made 700 years' worth of progress in the real world in 30

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also just want to stress AGAIN that their ENTIRE plan revolved entirely around taking hostage the commander of an Empire warship and the way they executed this plan was to.... shoot the warship out of the sky and have it hit the ground at speed and blow up, and just assumed he would survive this enormous explosion.

Waiting for the plan to blow up Trantor to be a delivery mechanism for their REAL plan to kidnap one of the Three Emperors because they assume he'll somehow survive the orbital bombardment and be found alone floating on a small piece of rock and this plan will work somehow.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 29, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jerusalem posted:

Also just want to stress AGAIN that their ENTIRE plan revolved entirely on taking hostage the commander of an Empire warship and the way they executed this plan was to.... shoot the warship out of the sky and have it hit the ground at speed and blow up, and just assumed he would survive this enormous explosion.

Look, empire ships have really good airbags okay

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The UI comment kind of ignores the fact that the Empire is supposed to be stagnant after 12,000 years of existence. I doubt much would have changed in starship design in 700 years vs the previous 24,300 years between today and the time the ship pulled Space Tesla Auto Pilot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Look, empire ships have really good airbags okay

Only the one though!

Also this is sheer wild speculation but did anyone else get the impression the gardener might be trying to play Dawn to get him away from the safety of the palace to use for her own purposes, whether political or religious or whatever? That would also be an rear end-pull of insane proportions given the unlikelihood of her ever meeting Dawn let alone interacting heavily with him but to me that whole sequence talking about the Scar seemed..... off, somehow.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Extremely wild that their galaxy-brain plan is to grab a single person from the Foundation who maybe ran a warp capable ship for merchants decades ago (after indiscriminently slaughtering people at the colony for hours on end) and expect him to be able to operate a one-of-a-kind Empire military ship from at least 700 years ago (that's when it was lost, not when it was built) and do so with only a few hours to familiarize themselves with it due to the ship randomly jumping around the galaxy.

Is their warp expert even loving with them at this point? I don't think he is. Is the Warden, despite never having been in space in her life, supposed to be the one to fix the drive now?

Jesus this sounds like the dumbest way of trying to show the anacreon empire ship plot from the book.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Is it just me not remembering, or have they gone completely off book with Gaal being able to predict the future? IIRC the Mule naturally could manipulate people’s minds and control them. 2nd foundation could also control minds with training. But having visions of the future?

Putting that aside, I’ve changed my mind this show isn’t as great as I thought it was going to be. The whole Anacreon plot has been terrible.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yup. I think I might wait for the Lee Pace supercut and skip the rest of the show.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
If I recommended this show to any of my friends and family my credibility would be shot. It's a tuff sell when you get to episode 7 and it still doesn't have legs. Maybe Apple should have Netflix dumped season 1.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A-plot: This is a very expensive looking and sloppily made TNG episode
B-plot: I didn't expect Lee Pace getting sick burn from the triple prophet and not laser the planet from the sky
C-plot: Gaal becoming super saiyan, great this show just goes off the deep end

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol at Hari casually dropping "First Foundation"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I’m a glutton for punishment and don’t really have anything better to do so I’m gonna gut this season out, but this show loving sucks, except for the Empire parts

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hari Seldon using wireless brain scan to cheat death and cheat terminal disease is such a typical Cyberpunk plot device it shouldn't be within 100 par-sec of a Foundation story.

What's next, Hari hacking the Matrix?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Can't believe the writers just dropped that spoiler into the dialog.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well. That happened. It's interesting how many book spoilers that we were worried about earlier are outright wrong. This has totally gone off the rails, but I'm still waiting to see where things land.

I feel like Hari must have known Gaal was psychic. He kept asking, "why did you go to my room?" and when she gave an answer other than figuring out she was psychic, he kept asking her and pushing her. He was obviously trying to get her to figure it out herself, which meant he must have known.

Did he figure it out after he woke up with Gaal there? Or was it all part of his plan- did he manipulate everything to get her here and in the emotional state necessary for her to understand? That doesn't seem likely, I think he honestly loved Raych. But still, if the plan has been totally hosed up from the start, then in what way is this story The Foundation? There's gotta be a plan coming to fruition in there somewhere!

Really not sure what's going on! Could still be good. Could still be bad. All I can say for sure is that it is definitely slow, and I wish they tried to do less action/adventure stuff 'cause it always falls flat. Still plenty of good ideas and interesting emotional perspectives to keep me on board until we figure out if this puzzlebox show actually has a compelling solution. If anything should, it's a Foundation series.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Eiba posted:

Well. That happened.

It was a Babylon 3 out of Babylon 5. Blew up because it was poo poo. God that was boring.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Hari Seldon using wireless brain scan to cheat death and cheat terminal disease is such a typical Cyberpunk plot device it shouldn't be within 100 par-sec of a Foundation story.

I'm now imagining book Hari was sentient the whole time but pretended to be a recording in order to more expertly manipulate psychohistory

What if Gaal is The Mule

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

stephenthinkpad posted:

Pretty sure the sound cues for Gaal realizing she can know the future were pulled straight from the scene where Neo can finally see the Matrix.

Steerpike
Mar 1, 2002

fiat nox
Fun Shoe

droll posted:

Is it just me not remembering, or have they gone completely off book with Gaal being able to predict the future? IIRC the Mule naturally could manipulate people’s minds and control them. 2nd foundation could also control minds with training. But having visions of the future?

You’re not misremembering. This show decided it wanted to be Dune, now, apparently.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BigPaddy posted:

The UI comment kind of ignores the fact that the Empire is supposed to be stagnant after 12,000 years of existence. I doubt much would have changed in starship design in 700 years vs the previous 24,300 years between today and the time the ship pulled Space Tesla Auto Pilot.

I mean not just that, the whole reason the ship was so important was because they used to be able to build things way better than they could now, so a 700 year old ship could take apart what the empire was building in the present so it seems weird anything about it should be archaic and old. I guess they touch on that a little with making it so powerful, but it also kinda treats it as a unique ship and not just a "they don't make them like they used to" situation.

droll posted:

Putting that aside, I’ve changed my mind this show isn’t as great as I thought it was going to be. The whole Anacreon plot has been terrible.

Its completely off the rails, you're not remembering wrong. Its definitely its own thing at this point, for good (the emperors) and bad (Salvor and company) and I hope they have the writing team to put together an original story of this scale for 80 episodes, without it turning into Lost.

This does mean though that [book stuff] the mule will probably be some religious figure of the seer church who they revere as "the sleeper" (because the priests can't shut up about the sleeper to the point its either gaal or the mule) who's awakened, and they lead a religious crusade bolstered by the fact the mule can tell the future (instead of controlling minds). . I'm sure some writers thought it was really clever because the show is about predicting the future so people should have psychic premonitions that can also predict the future to contrast with the science, but it honestly is feeling a bit like Goyer really just wanted to make Dune with all its mysticism but couldn't get that gig, so he's making Foundation full of mystical religious stuff.

[book] I mean, for a story where the only mention of a religion ever is a manufactured one meant to con their neighbors to get control over them, the show is making faith and religion a gigantic thing across the board, in every plot line

Book related stuff I do wish they wouldn't keep spoilering everything in their own story though. At this point no one will be surprised when the mule shows up, no one will wonder how he's accomplishing his takover, or be surprised the vault was wrong, or that theres a second foundation. Its like if Game of Thrones spent several seasons building up "ohhhh people always die at weddings :wink: is someone having a wedding? You know your great grandfather Moopy was ambushed and murdered at his wedding! Gosh I had a terrible vision someone was getting murdered at a wedding feast! Curse that stark, wait... what if i kill him at a wedding? Just kinda drains the life from your own story. I guess none of it really matters but, having something happen you didn't expect is fun in a story.

All that said, again the best part of the show is all the empire stuff, and I do like when the emperors are on screen and at this point are the biggest reason I'm watching because I don't know whats going to happen next with them and the actors are great there. The Foundation stuff is getting worse with every episode though, people have already pointed out so much stupidity in the mastermind plot of the huntress lady, and its just my least favorite kind of villain. Where everything goes according to their plan, they trying to escape, fight back ever 10 minutes only to get put back down, shot whatever and told to keep moving as everything keeps falling into their plan (until the hero kicks them down a hole). Its getting tiring after like, 5 episodes of "hahah just as I planned!". Kick her down the pit already.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Steerpike posted:

You’re not misremembering. This show decided it wanted to be Dune, now, apparently.

I was thinking that since the first episode when that ambassador or whoever rolled up in the throne room with the bright blue eyes. Dune + Cloud Atlas

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Goddamn this poo poo sucks more and more every episode. My wife never read the books and is like, “Wait, why is anyone doing any of this poo poo? What even is the conflict?”

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

people have already pointed out so much stupidity in the mastermind plot of the huntress lady, and its just my least favorite kind of villain. Where everything goes according to their plan, they trying to escape, fight back ever 10 minutes only to get put back down, shot whatever and told to keep moving as everything keeps falling into their plan (until the hero kicks them down a hole). Its getting tiring after like, 5 episodes of "hahah just as I planned!". Kick her down the pit already.

The huntress has a terrible plan, but it's working anyway because of the inevitable forces of psycho-history!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Several times watching this I've thought that hey really wished they were making Dune, but in this episode they showed that it's more more than that, they also wish they were making The Expanse. I'm still watching because the show looks great, performers are good (even if what they're performing isn't) , and cool spaceships cool.

To make psychohistorical prediction informed by a corpus of lazy television plots: Azura the gardener is an Emmanuel Goldstein. She's an agent of DuskBro set as a trap for a wavering Empire Junior.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

droll posted:

The writers basically skimmed the Wikipedia plot description for the book and started writing.

I'm looking forward to Gaal and company discovering that the captain of the Invictus is an eyeless Sam Neil... "Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see."

Anyone else think it's weird that what's-her-name is always carrying a bow and arrow? I know she's called the huntress, but the rest of her guys have space rifles. Surely you can hunt with a space rifle.

It would be like some admiral taking over a derelict nuclear aircraft carrier while pointing an old sword at people all the time.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Whatever your complaint of the huntress is, my biggest complaint is they don't even bother to do make up on her blind eye. The actress doesn't even act like she has a hole on her face. I think they just cgi black color on her left eye.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It would be like some admiral taking over a derelict nuclear aircraft carrier while pointing an old sword at people all the time.

so warhammer 40k?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Whatever your complaint of the huntress is, my biggest complaint is they don't even bother to do make up on her blind eye. The actress doesn't even act like she has a hole on her face. I think they just cgi black color on her left eye.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't she retrieve the "eye" which is now all burned out from its use and put it back in her eyesocket? So it isn't a hole in her face, just a blackened false eye?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Anyone else think it's weird that what's-her-name is always carrying a bow and arrow? I know she's called the huntress, but the rest of her guys have space rifles. Surely you can hunt with a space rifle.

I'll "defend" this in that the bow has been clearly explained right from the first episode as being the symbol of the highest hunter of the Anacreon people, and it serves not only as a status symbol but an unassailable symbol of her leadership position.

I mean, there's no reason she couldn't carry it over her back and use a gun like everybody else anyway, but at least they have established its importance.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

In World War 2, General Patton wore a pair of silver plated, engraved revolvers and carted a horse around with him. He might have also had a sword.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Glimpse posted:

In World War 2, General Patton wore a pair of silver plated, engraved revolvers and carted a horse around with him. He might have also had a sword.

Touché

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Hari's final conversation with Gaal in The Psychohistorians (where he revealed his terminal illness) revealed more about that particular "spoiler" than the show has so far. He didn't use that specific term, but he definitely elaborated more than he has so far in the TV show.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

This show is loving terrible but visually stunning lmao

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

its honestly the worst show I've seen in a while

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Google Butt posted:

its honestly the worst show I've seen in a while

I had the misfortune of someone wanting to watch 'Another life' together, so I'm worried I'll never be able to say "this is the worst show i've seen" ever again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It would actually be a lot easier if the show was "just" awful, because then I'd happily just stop watching. But there are enough little glimpses of what the show could be, and some genuinely cool and interesting ideas (I loving love the 3 Emperor set-up they've got going) that I keep watching hoping the show is just having trouble finding its groove and maybe it might get there.

:sigh:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Jerusalem posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't she retrieve the "eye" which is now all burned out from its use and put it back in her eyesocket? So it isn't a hole in her face, just a blackened false eye?
You are not wrong, this is exactly what happened and I'm sure it was done so they wouldn't have to render a hole in her eye all the time.

As dull as the show can get, I really enjoyed everything involving Jared Harris because he's still such a great actor. I think it's pretty poo poo how many episodes we had without him and I hope the show doesn't continue to make that terrible mistake. I also just enjoy all the space scenery, set design, costuming, and even Lee Pace coming up with a decent idea for how to take down his rival were enjoyable.

...I really hope they bring in some new writers and cut off some chaff when season 2 rolls around. There's just way too much dumb poo poo happening for a show that's supposed to be intellectual.

Or maybe the show isn't suppose to be intellectual. gently caress me.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 30, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

How they just killed off the love interest dude in the beginning of the episode with with 0 setup lmao, like, just later dude???

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Google Butt posted:

How they just killed off the love interest dude in the beginning of the episode with with 0 setup lmao, like, just later dude???

Given the earlier scene showing he used to work on asteroid mines like this when he was younger I've just naturally assumed he deliberately "missed" the inner ring so he could come back and take a shot at aiding Salvor later, similarly I think the fact they went out of their way to mention the military commander had a device in his head that has recorded everything that happened and can be transmitted back to Trantor if they find a device that these two things will have further implications.

With that said, it would be absolutely hilarious if nope he literally did just die and that's that, the end no moral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ElGroucho posted:

Goddamn this poo poo sucks more and more every episode. My wife never read the books and is like, “Wait, why is anyone doing any of this poo poo? What even is the conflict?”

Like, why do the Foundation exiles even care if the huntress wants to take down the empire? Aren't they the bad guys anyway? I guess killing all the billions of people on Trantor isn't great but don't they believe that world is probably doomed anyway? How is this even a crisis for the Foundation, they aren't the targets here. When I took a second to think about it, the Foundation and the Anacreon's goals don't really seem to be as opposed as they're portraying it. gently caress, let em take the ship and leave at this point.