Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Too late :colbert:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Laura as Robbie :swoon:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Matt as Laura definitely appeals to my greedy bisexuality.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Marisha could just wear that out of context and people'd just think she's rad

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
She looks like the fourth alternate character concept of some street thug archetype in an 80s cyberpunk source book. I only mean this in a good way.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Laura and Robbie-prime are so far the only people I’ve seen pull off that specific type of hat.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Dameius posted:

She looks like the fourth alternate character concept of some street thug archetype in an 80s cyberpunk source book. I only mean this in a good way.

She looks like a gym leader from Pokemon who uses dark/poison types

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Quixote posted:

I like the theory that Orthax is her patron. I don't know if it makes sense, but would be a cool callback and that person is still out there somewhere. (Season 1 and TV Show Spoiler?) Briarwood would be a good tie in with the upcoming Amazon show and probably where most people would go when thinking "evil, de rollo, dead."

Her pact type is Undead, which wouldn't be what Orthax is (he'd be Pact of the Fiend since he was a demon). Vecna seems more likely but honestly, that could be wrong too since he certainly wouldn't have been a god at the time.

I've also seen a theory that Laudna is Vesper de Rolo, Percy's murdered older sister but tbh, I'm not sold on that one because Laudna doesn't seem to be missing any memories of that time period, she just didn't keep up with what happened in Whitestone after she left.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

If nothing else, Robbie looks way better as Matt than he did as Inigo Montoya. :v:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

CuwiKhons posted:

I've also seen a theory that Laudna is Vesper de Rolo, Percy's murdered older sister but tbh, I'm not sold on that one because Laudna doesn't seem to be missing any memories of that time period, she just didn't keep up with what happened in Whitestone after she left.

I kinda like that theory, and it could work if the 'I left Whitestone and went off elsewhere' is more or less a built up delusion as a way to deal with the trauma of watching herself and (to her knowledge) entire family get wiped out by the Briarstones and friends. She seems to be the Hollow One origin, which is a neat way to play Undead-But-Not from the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

maybe it's just me but i assumed 99% of everything she said except "i'm from whitestone" was a lie there, it seemed like she didn't expect people to know the de rollo name then awkwardly had to cover it with "ohhh uhhh just a joke about a prominent family........."

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

eke out posted:

maybe it's just me but i assumed 99% of everything she said except "i'm from whitestone" was a lie there, it seemed like she didn't expect people to know the de rollo name then awkwardly had to cover it with "ohhh uhhh just a joke about a prominent family........."

She's definitely still keeping some secrets, but it's also possible she spent 30 years locked in a tomb zombing it up with only the rat puppets to keep her company and that's why she knows so little about her hometown

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

She's definitely still keeping some secrets, but it's also possible she spent 30 years locked in a tomb zombing it up with only the rat puppets to keep her company and that's why she knows so little about her hometown

yeah, to me the big question is whether her dead rat is named that ironically because she's part of the family or ironically because she hates them -- the one thing I feel sure about is that she's not indifferent to them as merely deposed local nobility

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

She definitely seemed startled that Orym recognized the name, I agree with that. And she could certainly be straight up lying, but I felt more like she was trying to dodge around the truth of what she's been doing for the past 30-40 years since she left Whitestone, which seems like the more important information. She dropped a line about how it was just her and the voice in her head, which was why she made the rat puppet to talk to, but it's not clear why that's the case. I think finding out how Imogen and Laudna met would help a lot but it's not like Imogen is being forthcoming about her story either.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

My working theory is that Laudna was one of the Briarwoods' undead minions who got trapped in a coffin or sarcophagus or something during their reign and then got lost or forgotten about after their defeat. How she got her freedom and free will I have no idea, but I get the feeling that she was either trapped or unconscious until very recently.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
I also saw a theory that Laudna was one of the corpses hanging from the Sun Tree. I suppose she could have been the Vex or Vax stand-in?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

:same:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

My working theory is that Laudna was one of the Briarwoods' undead minions who got trapped in a coffin or sarcophagus or something during their reign and then got lost or forgotten about after their defeat. How she got her freedom and free will I have no idea, but I get the feeling that she was either trapped or unconscious until very recently.

Same. I'd say she got her freedom when - C1 one shot spoiler: Sylas was sunbeamed in Dalen's Closet.

(That sounds like a dirty game you'd play in highschool...)

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 31, 2021

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

cyclical posted:

I also saw a theory that Laudna was one of the corpses hanging from the Sun Tree. I suppose she could have been the Vex or Vax stand-in?

Or even Keyleth. Matt took time to explain that they splashed her body with red paint because there weren't any redheads in Whitestone at that time

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I like the Sun Tree angle and hope that is the direction she chose, even if the tie in to the Sun Tree is something else entirely.

This idea probably is better for a one shot but with Taryon out there promoting his brand and his association with VM all over Exandria, enough time has now passed that one of them could play an overly obsessed Vox Machina super fan.

I could see Sam really going great places with that concept.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dameius posted:

enough time has now passed that one of them could play an overly obsessed Vox Machina super fan.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Hulk Smash! posted:

Same. I'd say she got her freedom when - C1 one shot spoiler: Sylas was sunbeamed in Dalen's Closet.

oh that is a good theory.

I also agree with Laudna being way more in on the de Rolo thing than she lets on. The rat name and then she specifically dropped that it was a raven skull attached. There was also something she said about being familair with tinkering right when talking with FCG? Maybe the hammer in her head is a tinkerer tool?

poo poo, I dunno grasping at straws just so I can come back to this post in 3 years to laugh at how wrong it is.

Dameius posted:

This idea probably is better for a one shot but with Taryon out there promoting his brand and his association with VM all over Exandria, enough time has now passed that one of them could play an overly obsessed Vox Machina super fan.

Kynan Leore was this in C1

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Athanatos posted:

oh that is a good theory.

I also agree with Laudna being way more in on the de Rolo thing than she lets on. The rat name and then she specifically dropped that it was a raven skull attached. There was also something she said about being familair with tinkering right when talking with FCG? Maybe the hammer in her head is a tinkerer tool?

poo poo, I dunno grasping at straws just so I can come back to this post in 3 years to laugh at how wrong it is.

Kynan Leore was this in C1

The demon Percy was working with helped him build the first guns. It probably wants revenge on the family and if she was harmed by them as well, even if it's just in her head and they weren't responsible it's an easy way to get a follower. No reason the demon couldn't be working with other beings to get her power, it's not like VM didn't gently caress with a lot of people.

She's gotta have connections to the de Rolo's though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Not a whole lot happened in that episode, but the party was at least both competent and entertaining. They found evidence of smuggling, not quite as straightforward as theft. I have to wonder if Esteross knew about (or was behind) the smuggling, or if he just thinks some fabric has gone missing. Knowing about the smuggling seems more likely, since the rest of the goods don't seem that high a value.

Shaking the beehive with the planting the question of theft worked pretty well. That let them pick up on a suspicious individual, and the stakeout was decently planned to cover as many bases as reasonably possible.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Brian saying on twitter that Talks and all the shows he was in (Undeadwood, Game Ranch, Between the Sheets) have been cancelled.
Others have noticed he and the cast (excluding Ashley) have unfollowed each other.
Speculation that Brian leaving was less amicable than previously assumed.
A shame if true, Brian was such a good part of the group.
Knew that Talks was going to have a new host/re-jigging but still.

Also my theory is Launda is a lost Briarwood, her reaction to someone mentioning parents to her in the first ep piqued my interest

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Drint Blasters posted:

Brian saying on twitter that Talks and all the shows he was in (Undeadwood, Game Ranch, Between the Sheets) have been cancelled.
Others have noticed he and the cast (excluding Ashley) have unfollowed each other.
Speculation that Brian leaving was less amicable than previously assumed.
A shame if true, Brian was such a good part of the group.
Knew that Talks was going to have a new host/re-jigging but still.

It could also be that the CR fan base can be super weird parasocials and he wanted to distance from them so everyone gave him Twitter space. From what people were saying on Reddit his Twitch was getting constant CR questions.

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 3, 2021

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BrianWFoster/status/1455670307889434624?s=20

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Not a whole lot happened in that episode, but the party was at least both competent and entertaining. They found evidence of smuggling, not quite as straightforward as theft. I have to wonder if Esteross knew about (or was behind) the smuggling, or if he just thinks some fabric has gone missing. Knowing about the smuggling seems more likely, since the rest of the goods don't seem that high a value.

Shaking the beehive with the planting the question of theft worked pretty well. That let them pick up on a suspicious individual, and the stakeout was decently planned to cover as many bases as reasonably possible.
It seems like Robbie has integrated pretty seamlessly with the rest of the group.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
It could also quite easily be that Brian, who we know DMs and plays quite a bit himself, was frustrated when they opened up new chairs in eXu and chose not to elevate him into either role... even after seeing him pull it off with undeadwood. What helps is that

Crazy Ted posted:

It seems like Robbie has integrated pretty seamlessly with the rest of the group.
And Aimee, Anjali, and Aabria have all been fantastic. Hopefully people will react in a nonridiculous manner whenever the new aftershow and host are announced. One can dream, right?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mage_Boy posted:

It could also be that the CR fan base can be super weird parasocials and he wanted to distance from them so everyone gave him Twitter space. From what people were saying on Reddit his Twitch was getting constant CR questions.

It's this. He wanted to do other things and the fandom decided "We're done when I say we're done"

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Also Travis just retweeted Brian's (new?) streaming Twitter account (and it looks like a bunch of the CR crew follow it) so if there was any Drama it couldn't have been that bad.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It started off as a pretty good plan, but I'm real nervous about how split up the party was at the end.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeah I see no reason to speculate over drama because of who (un)follows who on Twitter.

Man, I’m really looking forward to more Orym-as-beleaguered-straightman shenanigans. It’s a great fit for Liam.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Paracaidas posted:

And Aimee, Anjali, and Aabria have all been fantastic. Hopefully people will react in a nonridiculous manner whenever the new aftershow and host are announced. One can dream, right?

The audience is too big for there not to be some ridiculous reactions, no matter what happens. That being said, Brian was already kind of divisive thanks to his dumb-rear end takes on social media (among other things) so replacing him shouldn't have the same impact as say replacing one of the cast members.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Poor Orym, trapped in darkness while his allies torment him. That whole sequence was hilarious; so far I've found him (and Dorian) kind of boring but that did a lot to make me like him. Also, I hope that Laudna's Messages being creepy whenever she's talking to anyone other than Imogen continues being a thing forever.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Fenrisulfr posted:

It started off as a pretty good plan, but I'm real nervous about how split up the party was at the end.

I figure the only ones in danger are Bertram and Imogen. Those are the 2 that ran after the shady fellow who left right?

I assume the only thing Orym has to fear is his own party.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Athanatos posted:

I assume the only thing Orym has to fear is his own party.

Which tbh they were doing a good job of towards the end there

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is this the best Wiki for CR? I like reading episode recaps before I listen to the next episode and typically use this site but wow it’s gotten to be hot garbage on mobile.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fenrisulfr posted:

Poor Orym, trapped in darkness while his allies torment him. That whole sequence was hilarious; so far I've found him (and Dorian) kind of boring but that did a lot to make me like him. Also, I hope that Laudna's Messages being creepy whenever she's talking to anyone other than Imogen continues being a thing forever.

I mean, I really appreciate the people who play a relatively mundane character especially when you've got other big personalities with bigger backstories. A group of 8 Laudnas / jesters / Scanlans would be overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is this the best Wiki for CR? I like reading episode recaps before I listen to the next episode and typically use this site but wow it’s gotten to be hot garbage on mobile.

I think it is but fandom sites are a disaster on mobile. There's a link in the OP at the bottom for the official written recaps on the critrole site, though.