Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dante80 posted:

I hate cars. And I've got two. The reason is that I live in the center of Athens, and work in Marousi, a place about 10km away. The center of Athens has a stupid car traffic rule, where you can only use a car if the last digit of the license plate is odd on an odd day and vice versa (alternate day entrance regulation).

Presumably, the reason for it is to have less cars move around downtown etc. In reality, most families living in the center have two cars for that reason. The measure was suspended for two years now due to covid, but came back last week again.. :v:

??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Nope, doesn't work for my specific destination (rolling shifts, timetables etc). Not even remotely. T_T

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dante80 posted:

I hate cars. And I've got two. The reason is that I live in the center of Athens, and work in Marousi, a place about 10km away. The center of Athens has a stupid car traffic rule, where you can only use a car if the last digit of the license plate is odd on an odd day and vice versa (alternate day entrance regulation).

Presumably, the reason for it is to have less cars move around downtown etc. In reality, most families living in the center have two cars for that reason. The measure was suspended for two years now due to covid, but came back last week again.. :v:

lol greeked

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dante80 posted:

Nope, doesn't work for my specific destination (rolling shifts, timetables etc). Not even remotely. T_T

does the train not run at the hours you need or what

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Dante80 posted:

easy fix. now that everyone has 2 cars, just make it so you can only drive on days that match your license plate modulo 4

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

actionjackson posted:

does the train not run at the hours you need or what

It doesn't, sadly for two shifts in the day (also, what you have highlighted is the light railway we have that has this terrible schedule). Also, you need two more line changes (metro and bus or bus and trolley) to get where you need, and if you do manage to get everything aligned in Athens once (or get anything to run on time), STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND GO PLAY A RAFFLE, your luck is immeasurable. :v:

Seriously, who the gently caress would need to keep, pay and maintain two, TWO cars if they had a plausible alternative?!

Dante80 has issued a correction as of 16:28 on Oct 31, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dante80 posted:

It doesn't, sadly for two shifts in the day (also, what you have highlighted is the light railway we have that has this terrible schedule). Also, you need two more line changes (metro and bus or bus and trolley) to get where you need, and if you do manage to get everything aligned in Athens once (or get anything to run on time), STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND GO PLAY A RAFFLE, your luck is immeasurable. :v:

Seriously, who the gently caress would need to keep, pay and maintain two, TWO cars if they had a plausible alternative?!

if you could get another job with a "normal" schedule would you be able to get rid of both of your cars?

also there's a municipality called Metamorphosis? that's dope as gently caress

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

actionjackson posted:

if you could get another job with a "normal" schedule would you be able to get rid of both of your cars?

In an instant. I have a car I can borrow when going to my village for vacation every quarter or so, so I don't need a car inside Athens for any other reason. Even renting would be preferable if it came down to it.

actionjackson posted:

also there's a municipality called Metamorphosis? that's dope as gently caress

It's a pretty affluent hood too. Athens has a lot of weird neighborhood names tho.
How about Καμίνια? (literally, "the furnaces").

For extra fun, you can contrast this with Δροσιά, (literally "cool breeze").

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

better get a bigger car to keep your family safe, it's dangerous out there on the roads
https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1453834329348521985?t=uKXztZYf86eZKrt8g6kWLQ&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We need to ban cars.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

better get a bigger car to keep your family safe, it's dangerous out there on the roads
https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1453834329348521985?t=uKXztZYf86eZKrt8g6kWLQ&s=19

that url gives me an unsafe link warning lol

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Fat people can still walk though. How is that fatphobic?
they don't like to walk though

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

pointsofdata posted:

The course of action in response to this crisis from DOT will be a publicity campaign. Mark it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

pointsofdata posted:

anecdotally it feels like people started driving even worse during the early days of quarantine when nobody was on the road, and then continued driving like maniacs even when more people got onto the road, leading to more crashes and deaths. thank god i am permanent remote now at my job lol

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lobster shirt posted:

anecdotally it feels like people started driving even worse during the early days of quarantine when nobody was on the road, and then continued driving like maniacs even when more people got onto the road, leading to more crashes and deaths. thank god i am permanent remote now at my job lol
everyone told me i was crazy for thinking that.

i mean i am crazy, but not for that reason.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

lobster shirt posted:

When streets were quiet in April 2020 I saw drivers occasionally treat red lights like stop signs and just roll through them lol. Downtown in a major city

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Nitevision posted:

When streets were quiet in April 2020 I saw drivers occasionally treat red lights like stop signs and just roll through them lol. Downtown in a major city

it isn’t a good sign when the general population picks up pizza delivery driving techniques

also y’all add my anecdotal concurrence to your observations about everyone getting worse at driving last year

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Nitevision posted:

That is how things work here permanently, but it's the Balkans so..🤡

Dante80 has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Oct 31, 2021

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Nitevision posted:

The course of action in response to this crisis from DOT will be a publicity campaign. Mark it

Remember, Pedestrians Are People Too!

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Fat people aren't the problem. The problem is cars.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i am going to start writing a horror movie script about a vigilante similar in style to Jigsaw who selects the house of motorists at random every night and recreates the opening scene of Midsommar. the only way to prevent a visit from the Die-oxide man is to destroy your car

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Suplex Liberace posted:

My dream job, just hucking bikes and bus passes into peoples windshields.

thought of this post earlier today and had a good manic chuckle for about 15-20 seconds

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

walked MY GREYHOUND and saw a lincoln navigator, a mercedes with some sort of custom matte paint and tinted windows, and some white mom commanding this loving assault vehicle

let's check out the stats

msrp 83,400
overall mpg 15
curb weight 5813 lb
height 76 in
width 80 in
length 210 loving inches

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

pointsofdata posted:

almost 1/4th in the middle of a pandemic

cars suck

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

vehicle involved accident

Vehicle involved trampling

Nitevision posted:

It'll cost billions and have no effect

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in my neighborhood there's always a giant caravan of cars that arrives every halloween because i live in one of the only neighborhoods in the area that's vaguely walkable so it has a reputation for being a good trick or treating spot

anyway, these fuckers don't just drop their kids off. no, these fuckers stop at each house, then their kids get back in the car and move on to the next house. like it's not enough to drive your kids to a different neighborhood, no, also need to endanger all the kids in my neighborhood with your giant loving suvs that obscure anything shorter than 5 feet

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dolphin posted:

in my neighborhood there's always a giant caravan of cars that arrives every halloween because i live in one of the only neighborhoods in the area that's vaguely walkable so it has a reputation for being a good trick or treating spot

anyway, these fuckers don't just drop their kids off. no, these fuckers stop at each house, then their kids get back in the car and move on to the next house. like it's not enough to drive your kids to a different neighborhood, no, also need to endanger all the kids in my neighborhood with your giant loving suvs that obscure anything shorter than 5 feet

Guarantee they also whine about why kids are so fat now too

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

walked MY GREYHOUND and saw a lincoln navigator, a mercedes with some sort of custom matte paint and tinted windows, and some white mom commanding this loving assault vehicle

let's check out the stats

msrp 83,400
overall mpg 15
curb weight 5813 lb
height 76 in
width 80 in
length 210 loving inches

I was going to mention that you've pictured an Infiniti instead of a Lincoln but it's an obvious trap

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

the all-electric Porsche is spit-take expensive

if you want to be environmentally friendly by ordering one with a cloth interior instead of partial leather it will cost you an extra $4130

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The prices on these vehicles plus after-market modifications is just baffling to me. How can all these assholes afford to drive around in mammoth SUVs and lifted trucks? like, I assume the answer is just "they can't, they have shitloads of debt and no retirement savings", but still

And, of course, they're almost certainly the types to decry the purchase of a low-end ebike as wasteful frivolity because everyone knows bikes are toys, not an efficient and environmentally-friendly mode of transportation.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

I was going to mention that you've pictured an Infiniti instead of a Lincoln but it's an obvious trap

that infiniti qx80 is the third one i saw :confused:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Cugel the Clever posted:

The prices on these vehicles plus after-market modifications is just baffling to me. How can all these assholes afford to drive around in mammoth SUVs and lifted trucks? like, I assume the answer is just "they can't, they have shitloads of debt and no retirement savings", but still

And, of course, they're almost certainly the types to decry the purchase of a low-end ebike as wasteful frivolity because everyone knows bikes are toys, not an efficient and environmentally-friendly mode of transportation.

I always assume they run a business and are buying or leasing stupidly massive vehicles as some form of tax write-off

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Went to a Halloween parade tonight. Several streets were blocked off for people to walk. At some point some cars got through, got stuck in the crowd, and everyone booed them and threw things at them. It was funny as poo poo

Had a block party on my street tonight. I parked my car at one end of the street to block other cars from going down it then the kids did trick-or-treating.
:feelsgood:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lobster shirt posted:

absolutely. statistics also show that that car crashes/legal homocides are way way way up over per-mile standards.

i guess people got used to a taste of gotta go fast get off my roads u plebs and have taken on maniacally entitled americana boomer behaviors.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Had a block party on my street tonight. I parked my car at one end of the street to block other cars from going down it then the kids did trick-or-treating.
:feelsgood:

hell yeah. our neighborhood/street is known as a "destination" street for no apparent reason but we had ours and the one going adjacent to it blocked off and we got like 1000 kids. i whole lotta suvs driving around to here to look for a spot to park or something, idk. just park 5 blocks over where there's plenty of parking and completely dead-streets, and avoid the giant hotspot of kids out trick or treating???

unfortunately i only bought 2 bags of costco candy because i thought it'd be lite this year on kids but no, ran out after like the first 1.5 hrs and still had 1.5 to go.

i made a candy chute with lights and all the kids loved it. would def use it again next year

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Xaris posted:

hell yeah. our neighborhood/street is known as a "destination" street for no apparent reason but we had ours and the one going adjacent to it blocked off and we got like 1000 kids. i whole lotta suvs driving around to here to look for a spot to park or something, idk. just park 5 blocks over where there's plenty of parking and completely dead-streets, and avoid the giant hotspot of kids out trick or treating???

unfortunately i only bought 2 bags of costco candy because i thought it'd be lite this year on kids but no, ran out after like the first 1.5 hrs and still had 1.5 to go.

i made a candy chute with lights and all the kids loved it. would def use it again next year

haha that's cool did you yell through it to advertise it?

alternatively

um, listen ya'll, we need to talk about haunted didgeridoos and cultural appropriation

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Xaris posted:

lol awesome

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No one trick or treats in my neighborhood :(

There are a couple of rich neighborhoods nearby, so everyone just goes there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fitzy Fitz posted:

No one trick or treats in my neighborhood :(

There are a couple of rich neighborhoods nearby, so everyone just goes there.
put a sign on the corner next year that reads "full size candy bars" with an arrow and then go to key west on halloween