Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Soul Dentist posted:

Re: wormriding

I know that they keep their open flaps topside, but the irritating part to me is why does sand bother sand worms?

They literally move through it and filter it internally! I know the answer is "science fiction" but it just seems wrong.

Sand in the wrong bits presumably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

kiimo posted:

I doubt we get a Jamis funeral. It really does nothing for the plot and introduces what’s likely going to be kind of a trigger plot point that I could easily see them dropping and that’s Jamis‘s wife and Paul taking ownership of the family sort of. I could easily see that being a patriarchy problem that ends up on the editing room floor.

Paul's grief over killing Jamis is a good counterpoint to Feyd being very free with death.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

I know that they keep their open flaps topside, but the irritating part to me is why does sand bother sand worms?

They literally move through it and filter it internally! I know the answer is "science fiction" but it just seems wrong.

-coarse
-rough
-irritating
-gets everywhere

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Soul Dentist posted:

Well, you literally move through air and filter it internally, but that doesn't mean you won't be irritated by someone blasting a fan straight into your eyes.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just have them make pearls like oysters and be done with it

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

Soul Dentist posted:

Why do humans drown in water? They literally drink it every day to live, and a lot of them swim through it!
:goonsay:

I don't think the new movie ever addresses it directly, they just show it happening. Maybe when it (worm riding) happens a lot more at a greater scale in the next movie they'll provide some sort of explanation.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Paul's grief over killing Jamis is a good counterpoint to Feyd being very free with death.

He gives water to the dead?!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
remember the phrase "salt in the wound"?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I guess the fact that distances can be measured in thumpers means that there are limits to how irritated a worm can get. They could show a worm going "ya know what? gently caress this" and starting to dive despite the hooks after a time of being ridden. Or, like bull riding, have exceptionally cranky or difficult-to-ride worms. Lynch kinda did something similar with the whole "Usul has called a big one" thing.

I'm chuckling to myself imagining D2NC having such a detailed and explanatory wormriding sequence that nerds start simulating it like Quidditch or lightsaber duels.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Its more that the worms becomes exhausted and just kind of stops moving.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
that stubborn frenchie is never gonna let us see any of this poo poo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

or god forbid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVqXE9ZY5wk

the worm can't submerge yo, but that doesn't mean that 90% of its body mass would be on top of the sannnnd :argh:

haha i never saw this version. i cant believe how bad it looks. i know its cgi but the worm moves like an old steam train wearing a worm costume wtf

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

that stubborn frenchie is never gonna let us see any of this poo poo.

I could see them overriding him and adding deleted scenes to the bluray

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I assumed him claiming "the theatrical version is the director's cut" was just a placative gesture aimed at the studio before the sequel was greenlit

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Now that I've had a few days to come down off the theater high I think my biggest complaint is that they didn't stress water scarcity nearly enough. It's not exactly it critical but it's a huge factor in the motivations of the fremen as a people. Just a few shots of water seals or passing comments about it would go a long way.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think adding the conservatory would have gone a long way to show water discipline via contrast. It would also have been a nice pop of color saturation contrast to Arrakis shots. Show Jessica audibly gasping at the same time the seals *hiss* open and vapor billows out. Maybe a disapproving servant scowling in the background as she enters and the cloud disperses enough to show hints of what's inside (orchids, birds of paradise, etc)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I wonder how much water squirted out of Kyne's suit in that shot

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

skasion posted:

That’s a bad shot tbh. Epic trailer pose

an explosion happens in the middle of that scene, too. just have that be the reason his helmet flies off rather than that stupid iron man bullshit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Soul Dentist posted:

I think adding the conservatory would have gone a long way to show water discipline via contrast. It would also have been a nice pop of color saturation contrast to Arrakis shots. Show Jessica audibly gasping at the same time the seals *hiss* open and vapor billows out. Maybe a disapproving servant scowling in the background as she enters and the cloud disperses enough to show hints of what's inside (orchids, birds of paradise, etc)

Yeah, that and the dinner party would have been great, but I understand why it was cut. I agree we probably won't see jamis funeral fur the same reason, if we were gong to have it it would have been at the end of part 1.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Dune about to break 300M at the box office.

Yeah, I think we’ll be good to have the rest of the books done if the good will follows along the coming years.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

when is the film version of cliff simak's City releasing

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

kalel posted:

I assumed him claiming "the theatrical version is the director's cut" was just a placative gesture aimed at the studio before the sequel was greenlit

He said the same thing about blade runner, another movie where I want to see the terrible bloated four hour cut

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Blade Runner 2 was a bomb and this wasn’t. I would be surprised if we don’t get the deleted scenes released at some point. Two years till the next movie is a while and they need to keep people excited.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blade Runner was great I wish it hadn't bombed. At least he still got this shot.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Popoto posted:

Dune about to break 300M at the box office.

Yeah, I think we’ll be good to have the rest of the books done if the good will follows along the coming years.

Got into a weird argument on Twitter that Eternals was actually going to do great and Dune was actually bombing, when you considered the cost of marketing and whatnot Dune had to gross at least $500 million worldwide before it could be said to break even, yadda yadda. I didn't know what to say to that because by any available metric it's cleaning up financially (and more importantly it's getting meme'd to hell and back)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

gently caress yeah I’m so glad this is doing well. It was a grand attempt and knocked it outside of the park. The Box Office of Ibad.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Blade Runner was also rated R and didn't have any younger cast members in lead roles. Dune definitely has a wider appeal.

Heck, the theater we saw it in on opening weekend was full of teens who were stoked to see Zendaya.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sourdough Sam posted:

Heck, the theater we saw it in on opening weekend was full of teens who were stoked to see Zendaya.

I bet they left the theatre pissed

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Cosmik Slop posted:

Got into a weird argument on Twitter that Eternals was actually going to do great and Dune was actually bombing, when you considered the cost of marketing and whatnot Dune had to gross at least $500 million worldwide before it could be said to break even, yadda yadda. I didn't know what to say to that because by any available metric it's cleaning up financially (and more importantly it's getting meme'd to hell and back)

Yeah I keep seeing this on reddit. Are people just blatantly ignoring that the movie also released on HBO Max and they're getting money from that too?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Roman Reigns posted:

Yeah I keep seeing this on reddit. Are people just blatantly ignoring that the movie also released on HBO Max and they're getting money from that too?

WB is. But the issue is that Legendary doesn't get any money from HBO streams, so there was a real risk there that if no one saw it in the theater that WB would reap the rewards and Legendary would get turbo-hosed and it would be infeasible to make another.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lmao

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, that and the dinner party would have been great, but I understand why it was cut. I agree we probably won't see jamis funeral fur the same reason, if we were gong to have it it would have been at the end of part 1.

Jamis's funeral seems like the perfect opportunity to do a quick recap and general set up scene though, you could pack that scene to the gills with establishing who the fremen are in a more definite way, show paul's general emotional state and reaction to the whole situation, reestablish the whole 'fake your way through as the messiah' theme they have going on, etc. Its so efficient I'd be shocked if they didn't use it for the opening.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

lol those fx are making me nostalgic for Lexx

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJTr9GuBPtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPd3_nUnKK8

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It’s weird that they showed the worms eat the refinery (in all adaptations) and Leit from below (in this one, instead of the spice blow out), but then I guess one worm decides to chase Paul and Jessica above ground?

I was thinking if they depicted the worms mostly eating from below- how would Fremen ever get it up above ground to ride on, but then I remembered the Paul and Jessica scene and then realized they never really showed why it came above ground.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Now that I've had a few days to come down off the theater high I think my biggest complaint is that they didn't stress water scarcity nearly enough. It's not exactly it critical but it's a huge factor in the motivations of the fremen as a people. Just a few shots of water seals or passing comments about it would go a long way.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 1, 2021

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'm sure they'll go more in Fremen water poo poo in part 2, since Paul and Lady Jessica haven't had a chance to chill with them yet.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

The David Lynch film did that but in such an usubtle way, there was a bit with the Atreides troops getting their water ration while Thufir Hawat shouts "WATER IS LIFE" over the intercom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Not to mention the persistent drip drip of the cistern water in visions throughout the movie