Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Unless this is going to be your primary transportation financing a motorcycle is not really what most people would consider a good idea no matter the numbers. You will get boned on interest rate, even if you had perfect credit, with self admitted bad credit it will be real bad.

Now if you need this as a cost saving to not have a car sure I understand and it can make sense in some ways to eat that cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

As someone who financed a Harley a long time ago, let me tell you: don't do it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Unless this is going to be your primary transportation financing a motorcycle is not really what most people would consider a good idea no matter the numbers. You will get boned on interest rate, even if you had perfect credit, with self admitted bad credit it will be real bad.

Now if you need this as a cost saving to not have a car sure I understand and it can make sense in some ways to eat that cost.

Ok but hear me out. Putting 5k down on a 10k bike leaves you with a 5k loan that's maybe going to cost you an extra $264 over two years? At 5% APR? Like we're not talking about car loan type numbers here. If you've got a decent steady income and you aren't up to your eyes in debt with mortgage payments, car payments, student loans, credit card debt, etc., $220/mo isn't a lot.

This is mainly me self justifying buying a 10k bike that I like but not having 10k up front right now.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 31, 2021

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
I ended up financing my first bike, because the total cost of interest over the two year term worked out to be $230~. Though, I didn’t NEED to finance it, and having the cash in hand with impeccable credit while talking to the loan dude at the dealership probably helped?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with financing a bike as long as you understand what you're getting yourself into and aren't buying something you otherwise can't afford. As a bonus you're buying something fun that helps rebuild your credit (in this case). Most people can't put 7-10k together to buy a bike. I honestly don't think I'd ever not finance a bike if I were buying new. I fully intend to finance my next bike.

That said! I'm not sure how much 150cc scooter experience is going to translate into a full-sized 650cc motorcycle, and dumping a new, expensive motorcycle will make you sad (ask me how I know). Do whatever you want, but maybe also consider saving up a little extra and buying a smaller, cheaper used bike first.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
It's going to be my primary transportation and I'm actively trying to spare you the boring details of my life.

I can write paragraphs if you really want me to. Credit: rebuilding after a foreclosure on a house that lost half its value in an economic collapse. Really just a few credit cards at this point (finally). Mid to high 600's, depending on the reporting tool. Job: stable with a raise in December, more raises (plural) next year, a big project I'll be working extra hours on, more extra hours if I want them, and at least one bonus of some kind. Assets: Mostly just household items and the scooter I'll still be using for trips around the neighborhood and inside the city.

I am done buying poo poo heaps and fixer uppers. If I get a car again, it'll be a new one.

I really appreciate everyone's advice, but I'm an adult and know what I want, why I want it, and what my limitations are. I'm listening and I'm weighing my options, but I'm not leaning the way I'm leaning for no reason.

Gorson posted:

The KLR is disliked around here for valid reasons but I just find it tough to justify financing a new bike with a design that hasn't changed in decades. The DR650 or Vstrom are better choices, have you looked into financing a used one (or KLR, if you must) through your bank?

The KLR is new this year. So far, every Vstrom I've found that's 2017 or newer is so close in price to a new bike that it makes no sense to me not to get a new bike. Even if supply issues magically resolve themselves, I don't think the used market is going to be unfucked for years, but I could be totally wrong about that.

Toe Rag posted:

That said! I'm not sure how much 150cc scooter experience is going to translate into a full-sized 650cc motorcycle, and dumping a new, expensive motorcycle will make you sad (ask me how I know). Do whatever you want, but maybe also consider saving up a little extra and buying a smaller, cheaper used bike first.

This is my primary source of anxiety about the whole thing, honestly. Where I've landed on it is that I know I'm not going to put time into making something run. If it doesn't work, it will just sit. Something without a warranty is useless to me right now. I've accepted that I want crash bars and am writing it off as an "investment" because I will probably do a lot of dumb poo poo to it. I do also have another bike I can practice on here at the house. It's not running at the moment though (and it's not mine to tinker with anyway), which just illustrates my point.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 31, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How about a CB500X in that same price range as the KLR? Plus it'll be a little better as a first bike and honda reliability blah blah.

As far as financing, rates are so cheap right now that why not or if there's a manufacturer promo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok.

So, you are dunning-kruger personified right now on a few levels.

1. A 650 of any kind is not a clever idea if your riding experience is scooters. A brand new 650 is a hideous idea because you WILL fall over. You really want something in the 300 range, these are also helpfully much cheaper.

2. The klr is not 'new' this year, that is a delusion, it's bold new graphics and some minor revisions, it is still the same hunk of poo poo that is objectively worse than just about anything else japanese that you can get.

3. New vehicles are not magic, warranty repairs often take ages and leave you without transport. Using a bike every day is far more maintenance intensive and costly than a car, the age of the bike doesn't have much influence on this. You'll still be paying for lots of oil changes, tyres, chains etc. To me it makes more sense to spend half as much in the beginning and then be able to comfortably pay for this.

4. You've got pretty conflicting requirements despite your big boy adult talk. The bikes that thread the needle of being new, reliable, affordable, learner friendly and practical are basically all 300's that you haven't mentioned at all. If you know you're going to drop it and damage it, buying new is a terrible idea because depreciation will destroy you and you'll lose far more money than you would buying lightly used. Bigger bikes fall harder, usually have more expensive parts, usually take more time to repair. Even buying new it just makes so much more sense to get a small bike in your situation; there's less height to fall from both on the bike and on the value when your drop it.

This whole thing reads less as 'give me advice' and more as 'I've decided what I want to do and I want confirmation I'm a good clever boy' and, well, this ain't that kind of forum sorry.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If you just want advice on the nuts and bolts of financing, the dealer will finance you for whatever, that’s their prerogative. Frankly even with bad credit I would not expect them to require more than a small down payment if any at all (frankly I would expect them to be able to finance the entire amount of literally everything out the door nothing down).

A motorcycle as only transport can certainly save you money, but uh as Slavy said it doesn’t really have to do with being new. I did it for 3 years to save money and as long as you are buying something remotely modern japanese, and not a dank wheelie boi bike, it should be basically as reliable as a brand new version of the same bike and cost basically the same to run. As you said you are an adult though so like go for it.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The answer is always "buy an MT-03".

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I am apparently coming off far more defensive than I intend to. I’m not trying to prove I’m clever or whatever, I’m trying to learn about the things I don’t know. I’m not invested in anyone thinking I made the right choice so long as I’m happy over the coming months and years with whatever I decide to do.

If that means buying what goons think I should buy, that’s fine by me. But it also wouldn’t be the first time I did something goons told me I’d regret (I never have).

I’m listening to the advice here, but I’m also not a child making an impulsive decision. I’ve been building to this for years and I just don’t feel the need to tell you everything I’ve done, everything I’m doing, everything my partner’s doing, etc. It’s not an e/n thread and I assume you care as little as I feel like typing it all out.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Or z400 or CB300R. Lots of great options to learn on nowadays that will be reliable and get you around at 55+ mpg.

Edit: klx 300sm to the list

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 31, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone clam down.

Buy a drz400

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everyone

Buy a drz400

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The KLR hate has become kind of an overblown hive mind thing here, but they are a truly boring bike. Reliable, yes, and actually pretty capable, but with all the motorcycles there are in the world, buying a KLR is basically going out of your way to be underwhelmed.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think the bigger concern everyone has is that a rather tall 460lb bike that op will be scared to drop is objectively a bad first bike.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I’m 6’2” with a hip I’m working on. I need to sit comfortably. That’s roughly half of why I’m looking at ADV bikes to begin with. Along with living in Oregon and missing going camping so drat much.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Big adventure bieks are awesome but let me tell you, picking up my Super Tenere after dumping it in a mud puddle 200 miles from anywhere was a less than ideal situation. Extra heavy bikes have weird downsides like that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Geekboy posted:

I’m 6’2” with a hip I’m working on. I need to sit comfortably. That’s roughly half of why I’m looking at ADV bikes to begin with. Along with living in Oregon and missing going camping so drat much.

I'm 6'3 and my MT03 is very comfortable to both flat foot at lights and ride on.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Russian Bear posted:

a rather tall 460lb bike

jesus christ, I thought this was a joke!

how is it possible to make a thumper weigh that much?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Ugliness is heavy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The KLR hate has become kind of an overblown hive mind thing here, but they are a truly boring bike. Reliable, yes, and actually pretty capable, but with all the motorcycles there are in the world, buying a KLR is basically going out of your way to be underwhelmed.

Capable of what...?

Geekboy posted:

Yeah you need something much, much smaller. Like a 300.

FBS posted:

It's the 80's and you're kawasaki. Your chassis department is a collection of inbred drunks. The accounting department says no to lightweight materials. Your competition is the xr650 and ttr650. The only competent department you have is the guys building engines so you decide to go big and bold and try to make a stronger engine than the other bikes. Engine department tells you they need liquid cooling with the associated size and bulk penalty. A two tonne gothic cathedral is the result.

Technology moves on but the klr doesn't. The specs go from adequate, to underwhelming, to rubbish, to eventually shockingly bad. It is more cost effective to pay for marketing and bold new graphics than designing a better bike.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Buy a Zero DSR

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As someone who made every mistake possible to this point I’m going to emptyquote:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everyone clam down.

Buy a drz400

I’m pretty sure in the next year or two I’m going to end up selling the Ninja 650 and moving down to an R3 or Ninja 400 so I can still cosplay as Rossi while I toot down lakeshore roads, but after my short stint with a lighter bike I’m starting to think the 650 isn’t the one to get me where I want.

And the DRZ is never leaving my possession. Mark that down and toxx me on it. Either the bike dies or I die but I either way I will own it to the bitter end.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 1, 2021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Tell me what bike to buy: The KLR is not 'new' this year, that is a delusion

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To think that the klr is new this year is folly

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Tell me what bike to buy: The KLR is not 'new' this year, that is a delusion

:hmmyes:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol: just for a laugh I looked it up and good news! The heaviest available model is now 487lbs/220kg in normal people units. Possibly the heaviest single cylinder bike of all time? Not sure what a doctor big weighs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

:lol: just for a laugh I looked it up and good news! The heaviest available model is now 487lbs/220kg in normal people units. Possibly the heaviest single cylinder bike of all time? Not sure what a doctor big weighs.

Jesus, that's a R1200GS amount of chonk!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
LMAO I hope that's at least a wet weight, if it's dry it's almost double the weight of my DR350

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Capable of what...?

Carrying a lot of poo poo, doing long trips, handling gravel roads, around town stuff. It’s just not especially great at it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Carrying a lot of poo poo, doing long trips, handling gravel roads, around town stuff. It’s just not especially great at it.

So it's capable of being a motorcycle, just badly

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Martytoof posted:

As someone who made every mistake possible to this point I’m going to emptyquote:

I’m pretty sure in the next year or two I’m going to end up selling the Ninja 650 and moving down to an R3 or Ninja 400 so I can still cosplay as Rossi while I toot down lakeshore roads, but after my short stint with a lighter bike I’m starting to think the 650 isn’t the one to get me where I want.

And the DRZ is never leaving my possession. Mark that down and toxx me on it. Either the bike dies or I die but I either way I will own it to the bitter end.

A DRZ is not a great choice for OP's only transport, they are great fun but suck on highways or traveling long distance. Also you previously went on about how you were never selling your 650, so..

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Never mind, commented on stake thread.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
If you have bad hips, have you tried sitting on a tall bike? I'm 6'2 with low hip flexibility, and I poo poo you not, the hardest thing I find about riding dirt bikes is getting on the bastards. I'm not sure what the seat height is on a KLR, but I would not want to climb onto a big bike every day if I didn't have to.
edit: It's possible (likely) I am doing something wrong. The most recent time I am thinking of was a hired KTM EXC 300 that the owner said not to sit on with the side stand down as they tend to snap off. Not sure why I felt the need to point this out, of course you will sit on the bike before ordering one.

Megabook fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 1, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

The DR 800 gets a pass because weight is the price you pay for that absolutely bonkers motor

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The DR650 and KLR650 are more or less the same bikes capability wise out of the box (long haul commuters) but the DR650 weighs one hundred pounds less.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
e: nvm

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

The DR650 and KLR650 are more or less the same bikes capability wise out of the box (long haul commuters) but the DR650 weighs one hundred pounds less.

Just totally not true sorry. The DR is not embarrassingly bad off-road. It also handles much, much better on pavement and has a much nicer engine character, functioning brakes, adequate suspension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
In the 300ish range have a look at the versys 300, z400, ninja 400, Duke 390, Svartpilen 401, Zontes T310, CFMoto 300nk, Rebel 300 or maybe 500. There's a ton of decent stuff out there and I agree with the others that a top heavy 650 bike is probably not the way to go. An XVS250 or whatever they're called now would be decent too as it's shaft drive so zero chain maintenance needed.

E: there's always the option of a bigger scooter like the SH300 or 350, Forza 350, Vespa 300gts etc.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 1, 2021