Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IMO just bring back the 12” MacBook and make that the low end SKU. Now that you’ve got a good mobile processor you can make the most out of that small space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The 12-inch was a pain to work on though.. you needed a special stand and had to work with screws that were pretty much at the limit of manual dexterity.. one mistake and you could windup ordering a new logic board or antenna array

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Data Graham posted:

The "Air" branding always bugged me, I thought it was going to be a one-off gimmick (this computer is so thin it's lighter than air!!!), but it just stuck around on a million things until now it means nothing.

In Apple Language, “Control” is “Command”, “Explorer” is “Finder” and “Air” became the same as “Lite” over time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Where is the 13 going to fall in with all this? Is it going to drop the Pro name and just be the MacBook like in the olden days?

If there’s a large enough market for people who want to pay an extra $300 for a Pro that has similar performance to the Air then I don’t know why Apple wouldn’t want to take their money.

Although the 13” Pro is the only machine with a Touch Bar which makes it look like the odd duck now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anyone have any experience with the mail in trade in process? On the day the new Pros came out I was able to find a store close to me that had them available. I decided instead of driving over I’d just do the same day delivery on it.

I did the entire thing with my Apple Card and initiated a trade in with my older M1 Air. Got the instant credit and I did get the mail in kit Friday. Now my understanding was that Apple Stores do take trade-ins as well and I’d prefer to go that route to eliminate any potential mix ups or lost packages.

I went today to the Apple Store and they tell me that for some reason they can’t take in the Air since it’s not showing up on the order for the Pro for whatever reason. I say fine, I can just mail it in but I decide to call Apple to see what’s what.

They tell me over the phone that because I had the Pro delivered to me I have to mail in my Air instead. I can’t trade it into a store. Is this how it normally is or what’s the deal with it? I can mail it tomorrow if need be but I don’t know I rather just take it myself to a store.

I might just be worrying too much.

Edit: Really thinking on it, it shouldn’t matter if I had it delivered or picked it up myself. Trade ins a trade in. Even on the site it says you can do this:

Edit 2: Spoke to someone else about it over chat this time and I guess the end result is I hosed up and chose to have it mailed in? I don’t know. I’ll just send the drat thing over the mail and be done with it lol.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 1, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The 12-inch was a pain to work on though.. you needed a special stand and had to work with screws that were pretty much at the limit of manual dexterity.. one mistake and you could windup ordering a new logic board or antenna array

That may factor in for support costs to be sure, but as an end user I think the 12” was one of my favourite device form factors for the short time I used one. It definitely felt underpowered so I’d love to see what an M1 12 would feel like.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Skeezy posted:

Anyone have any experience with the mail in trade in process? On the day the new Pros came out I was able to find a store close to me that had them available. I decided instead of driving over I’d just do the same day delivery on it.

I did the entire thing with my Apple Card and initiated a trade in with my older M1 Air. Got the instant credit and I did get the mail in kit Friday. Now my understanding was that Apple Stores do take trade-ins as well and I’d prefer to go that route to eliminate any potential mix ups or lost packages.

I went today to the Apple Store and they tell me that for some reason they can’t take in the Air since it’s not showing up on the order for the Pro for whatever reason. I say fine, I can just mail it in but I decide to call Apple to see what’s what.

They tell me over the phone that because I had the Pro delivered to me I have to mail in my Air instead. I can’t trade it into a store. Is this how it normally is or what’s the deal with it? I can mail it tomorrow if need be but I don’t know I rather just take it myself to a store.

Edit: Really thinking on it, it shouldn’t matter if I had it delivered or picked it up myself. Trade ins a trade in. Even on the site it says you can do this:

Edit 2: Spoke to someone else about it over chat this time and I guess the end result is I hosed up and chose to have it mailed in? I don’t know. I’ll just send the drat thing over the mail and be done with it lol.

I've used apple's trade-in program with different devices. So far I haven't had an issue. I take down the tracking number for the label and usually just add that to deliveries app so I can see when it gets to their location.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

apple doesn't discontinue anything until it becomes unprofitable to sell so i expect you'll be able to get a touchbar pro for years to come

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

movax posted:

I’m kinda debating on the Max, not to max out to 64 GB, but rather to have the insane amount of memory bandwidth. I didn’t see it (at least it wasn’t obvious to me) in AnandTech’s review, but 32 GB on a Max vs. a. Pro, should enjoy the increased bandwidth / channels, right?

As far as anybody knows, yes. The question is whether it matters. I don't think the extra memory bandwidth will do much for pure CPU loads; the M1 Pro's 200 GB/s is 3x M1's 68 GB/s, which already seems like overkill. Unless you're going to use the extra GPU power (or the 64GB RAM capacity) there's not much point in Max IMO.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
What if I want the best possible framerate in Pathways Into Darkness?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

What if I want the best possible framerate in Pathways Into Darkness?

I know this is tongue in cheek but OG 1993 Pathways took like an m68020 with System 6.0.5 and 2MB RAM. I'd guess the emulator Basilisk II is up to the job if you have access to the proper ROM. There are at least two JIT Basilisk ports for ARM chips being actively worked on to give you a leg up for any kind of performance-intensive elder Mac apps. That said, the Aleph One port should work on an M1 anything.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 1, 2021

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Hasturtium posted:

I know this is tongue in cheek but OG 1993 Pathways took like an m68020 with System 6.0.5 and 2MB RAM. I'd guess the emulator Basilisk II is up to the job if you have access to the proper ROM. There are at least two JIT Basilisk ports for ARM chips being actively worked on to give you a leg up for any kind of performance-intensive elder Mac apps. That said, the Aleph One port should work on an M1 anything.

Awesome, I fully intend to revisit some classic Mac games from my youth one of these days. Maybe when there’s a stable M1-optimized version I’ll get into it whole hog! I was a Mac kid starting with the SE (and an Apple II kid before that), and I have fond memories of a lot of weird games.

I’ve also had a weird urge to make a HyperCard game for years.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 1, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

So I’ve been using this one with 0 issues on my M1 mac my wife’s think book and my Aya neo.

USB C Hub, Hiearcool MacBook Pro Adapter USB C Dongle, 7 in 1 USB C to HDMI Multiport Adapter Compatible for USB C Laptops Nintendo and Other Type C Devices (4K HDMI USB3.0 SD/TF Card Reader 100W PD) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WPTG7NX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SKWAAWVMY3590VKR2V9B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Legit 0 issues across those devices.

Granted I’m only pushing it to a 1080p monitor so that’s not to say there won’t be issues with the HDMI at anything above that.

Ahhh, thanks, but bummer. That looked really familiar so I checked and it is indeed the same model as one that my wife got through work that also has the USB issue. If I may ask, how are your keyboard and mouse connected (assuming you don't use the built-ins)? We were both using peripherals with USB Bluetooth receivers and I'm wondering if that's actually the issue. I know USB 3.x and C ports can cause Bluetooth interference, and in fact can't plug this keyboard/mouse receiver into my PC when a USB drive is attached to a neighboring port. My wife switched to devices with internal Bluetooth and hasn't had any additional trouble with the dongle, though she only uses it for charging and display.

I'll have to explore this with another keyboard and mouse. The issue with that is that I swap the inputs between my PC and Mac frequently enough that it's a pain to re-pair everything every time change machines, but that's another subject.

Thanks for knocking that loose in my brain. I had forgotten about that hub. The price is also pretty reasonable given what Belkin and Anker charge for a similar product. I'll snag it if I can determine that it's an interference problem and not the hub.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

TraderStav posted:

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. UPS says 11/2 and Apple 11/9. Would be a very nice Tuesday to get this guy then.

There seems to be a bump up on orders. Mine was scheduled for 11/17 - 11/20 and its arriving on 11/3 going by UPS.

e: Some thermal performance tests between the 16" model and the 14" model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPhfUWJnxY

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 1, 2021

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Skeezy posted:

i've traded in a few things and it was totally painless. was going to trade in my 16" for the 14" but i found available for pickup so i cancelled the order and I guess now I'm ebaying or facebook marketplacing or some poo poo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Ahhh, thanks, but bummer. That looked really familiar so I checked and it is indeed the same model as one that my wife got through work that also has the USB issue. If I may ask, how are your keyboard and mouse connected (assuming you don't use the built-ins)? We were both using peripherals with USB Bluetooth receivers and I'm wondering if that's actually the issue. I know USB 3.x and C ports can cause Bluetooth interference, and in fact can't plug this keyboard/mouse receiver into my PC when a USB drive is attached to a neighboring port. My wife switched to devices with internal Bluetooth and hasn't had any additional trouble with the dongle, though she only uses it for charging and display.

I'll have to explore this with another keyboard and mouse. The issue with that is that I swap the inputs between my PC and Mac frequently enough that it's a pain to re-pair everything every time change machines, but that's another subject.

Thanks for knocking that loose in my brain. I had forgotten about that hub. The price is also pretty reasonable given what Belkin and Anker charge for a similar product. I'll snag it if I can determine that it's an interference problem and not the hub.

Ah yeah I use a wired keyboard and mouse with this.

That obviously takes up both A ports but it’s not been an issue and it works well enough for me and my 3 devices.

I’d definitely try using wired devices and see if that fixes things though. It’s the cheapest thing to try that’s for sure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Data Graham posted:

The "Air" branding always bugged me, I thought it was going to be a one-off gimmick (this computer is so thin it's lighter than air!!!), but it just stuck around on a million things until now it means nothing.

I like it I just never got the iPad Air

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Bob Morales posted:

I like it I just never got the iPad Air

It was light! The MacBook Air's gimmick was thinness, and teh iPad Air was about weight. It's still like... half a pound? Compared to the full pound of the regular iPad. However, its positioning as the middle-of-the-road is a little weird considering the MacBook Air is acknowledge as having the least amount of OOMPH from their laptops.

EDIT: It's funny how comparisons make the difference. The iPhone 5 vs the iPhone 5S, for example. The latter was some amount lighter and I was skeptical, but then I held it and I was like "drat! You can tell!"

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 1, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The 13" MBP fills a price point. I don't think it goes away without at least something new in between the Air and the more expensive laptops.

Like if I were in charge I would keep it as it is, maybe drop the Pro from the name. And downsize the Air to 12" since it's the one that really should lean into being thin and light.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Max Tech just posted a video about the 14" M1MBP getting up to 106* C. Is... That normal? I'm guessing the way Intel/AMD CPUs are measured aren't the same as M1 chips but... Idk I've still never seen temps over 100

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Clearly someone has never tried to play Cities Skylines on an Intel MBP

that does seem high

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Lemon King posted:

There seems to be a bump up on orders. Mine was scheduled for 11/17 - 11/20 and its arriving on 11/3 going by UPS.

e: Some thermal performance tests between the 16" model and the 14" model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPhfUWJnxY

Mine went from tomorrow ETA to "Check back tomorrow for an updated delivery date."

drat

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The Air is Apple's most popular laptop by a lot. So popular that even when they tried to replace it with the 12" it didn't work out and they went back to the familiar form factor with the retina upgrade and then again with M1. "Air" now just means "The consumer Apple thing for most people you have come to know and love". Much like "Pro" means "The more powerful & expensive one."

It's a little weird that Air moved from its original meaning but I think that brand familiarity will trump logical naming of the lineup for some time to come.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Air" is the new "i"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Honestly the current MBA design is pretty drat perfect for an every day use laptop.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

anothergod posted:

Max Tech just posted a video about the 14" M1MBP getting up to 106* C. Is... That normal? I'm guessing the way Intel/AMD CPUs are measured aren't the same as M1 chips but... Idk I've still never seen temps over 100

its normal, apple ran intel cpus at 100 too, you can run a chip at 100 for years

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Mine went from tomorrow ETA to "Check back tomorrow for an updated delivery date."

drat

I got the same message too, we're in the same shipment! :smith:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lemon King posted:

I got the same message too, we're in the same shipment! :smith:

Same for me, too (though my delivery date was a couple days later). Maybe UPS will get their poo poo figured out soon.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Mine just went from processing to Preparing to Ship :sickos:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wasn’t prepared for how hefty it feels in the hand. Not heavier than the 13, really, but more … substantial?

Feels like I’m holding an old Aluminum powerbook.

e: to clarify, I mean this in the best possible way. Doesn't feel bad, just wasn't prepared for it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 1, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's gotta be the lack of tapering, right?

Just a big chonky brick.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
Where is the best deal on the new macbooks

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Data Graham posted:

It's gotta be the lack of tapering, right?

Just a big chonky brick.

I popped into an Apple store today to see them in person - I was actually surprised, I found them less hefty than the images had led me to believe.

Confirmed I wanted the 16" too. So much screeeeeen

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

epic 2012 username posted:

Where is the best deal on the new macbooks

The Apple education store

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I got one for my wife, she commented immediately that it looked like an older laptop. I don't mind I kind of like the look. I will say the one big negative I personally have with it that I haven't seen anyone talk about at all is the side vents. On old Macbook Pro's the side vents were inline with the contour of the shell and pretty small. On the 14" MBP the side vents are hard edged and large and do not continue the shape of the shell. It is almost like an old CD drive opening but that points more at a 45 degree angle downward. Makes grabbing the base really odd to me since it's right where your hands go and is very noticable.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The more I look at my wife’s, the more it gives the vibe that it wasn’t designed by Apple so much as by someone cribbing Apple’s homework. As though someone looked at their products and decided the only unifying elements were aluminum and beveled corners.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

Same for me, too (though my delivery date was a couple days later). Maybe UPS will get their poo poo figured out soon.

Its moving again!

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Well, I moved to a hackintosh before the pandemic. It’s been pretty solid, but lately Final Cut Pro does weird things like refusing to export/render video. And I’ve had some other issues of the computer stays on. Like USB performance degrades, web streaming is impossible, audio flakes out. A reboot fixes it usually.

I could probably figure out how to upgrade it to Monterrey but now I’m leaning toward a Mac Mini.

I can get a new 8GB/512gb M1 from Costco for like $750 (with an extra year of warranty).

How are those of you living with 8GB after a year? My video editing needs are mostly 1080p and less than 30 minute in length. Not super intense. 8GB should be fine, although I am keeping an eye on refurb possibilities.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RocketLunatic posted:

Well, I moved to a hackintosh before the pandemic. It’s been pretty solid, but lately Final Cut Pro does weird things like refusing to export/render video. And I’ve had some other issues of the computer stays on. Like USB performance degrades, web streaming is impossible, audio flakes out. A reboot fixes it usually.

I could probably figure out how to upgrade it to Monterrey but now I’m leaning toward a Mac Mini.

I can get a new 8GB/512gb M1 from Costco for like $750 (with an extra year of warranty).

How are those of you living with 8GB after a year? My video editing needs are mostly 1080p and less than 30 minute in length. Not super intense. 8GB should be fine, although I am keeping an eye on refurb possibilities.

I’m p sure you can get the 16gb model for $200 more on the Costco website

or consider the education store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

RocketLunatic posted:

How are you seeing it that cheap? I bought the 8/256 for $799 at microcenter today.