Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

What’s important was that he referred to a scribe at Candlekeep as "looking like a human but not being one", and being a "dire hin". Yeah, so a double-sized halfling. I of course have to learn their lore now.

I think that's just recycling the old Hackmaster bit about Gnome Titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Goodness gracious, the Monster Care Squad has Raphael Ambrosius and Kim as its front characters

How

Why

I'm gonna save all the cryptids

WHERE'S LENA

https://i.imgur.com/fdWGRwN.png

Foglet fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 29, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Am I correct in remembering that original Alternity was a fun core mechanic hosed up by TSR?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CitizenKeen posted:

Am I correct in remembering that original Alternity was a fun core mechanic hosed up by TSR?

That sounds right? I remember a small but passionate fanbase who really loved Alternity until they stopped.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
In 1999 they released a Starcraft RPG using the Alternity rules at the same time they released the Diablo themed ADD 2e box set.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

In 1999 they released a Starcraft RPG using the Alternity rules at the same time they released the Diablo themed ADD 2e box set.
There was also a fan-made StarCraft tabletop RPG with hundreds of pages. It also had several supplements by the same person, each of those expansion about the same size.
It was quite good.
It also had a second edition.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Foglet posted:

There was also a fan-made StarCraft tabletop RPG with hundreds of pages. It also had several supplements by the same person, each of those expansion about the same size.
It was quite good.
It also had a second edition.

There... There was?! I need this. Any idea what it was called, or where it might be available now?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If I wanted to run a game similar in setting and tone to Disco Elysium, what would be the best game to run with? Just thinly disguised Over the Edge?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Probably could get like, 90% of the way there with just Technoir.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kestral posted:

There... There was?! I need this. Any idea what it was called, or where it might be available now?

https://www.stellarrealmsgames.com/starcraft

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Last updated April 2021 is pretty impressive.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, it's a d20 roll-under system. If your skill is 12, it's actually 12/6/3; rolling under 6 gives you a better success and under 3 would be a critical. Positive and negative modifiers are handled by rolling a second die that steps up or down.

A lot of games from the 80s strove to make success and failure more complex than pass/fail, and they mostly accomplished this by having some kind of Master Action Table that was consulted for every roll. This gives you some complexity without the table.

Kinda reminds me of Talistanta's system, which is a different basic mechanic, but measures critical fail/fail/success/total success/critical success with a single d20 roll.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, it's a d20 roll-under system. If your skill is 12, it's actually 12/6/3; rolling under 6 gives you a better success and under 3 would be a critical. Positive and negative modifiers are handled by rolling a second die that steps up or down.

A lot of games from the 80s strove to make success and failure more complex than pass/fail, and they mostly accomplished this by having some kind of Master Action Table that was consulted for every roll. This gives you some complexity without the table.

Kinda reminds me of Talistanta's system, which is a different basic mechanic, but measures critical fail/fail/success/total success/critical success with a single d20 roll.

Top Secret/SI used a system where you rolled d100 under a target number and the one's digit could be used for damage or hit location or a bunch of other stuff. Crits were based on a percentage of your chance (10%) so if you had a 50% than 01-05 was a crit. Fumbles were a flat 96-00 I think.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If I wanted to run a game similar in setting and tone to Disco Elysium, what would be the best game to run with? Just thinly disguised Over the Edge?

What are you looking for in a Disco Elysium-esque tabletop RPG?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

There's a bit of an issue with that kind of system in that there's clear "best" breakpoints. The jump from 4 to 5 isn't as big as 5 to 6 and nothing is as good as the jumps from 3 to 4, 7 to 8, 11 to 12 etc. The "easy" solution is to only allow purchases in breakpoints, so 4 is base, then you go to 8, 12, 16 etc and 9 just doesn't exist as a stat you can take. You don't see that as a setup very often though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

LatwPIAT posted:

What are you looking for in a Disco Elysium-esque tabletop RPG?

Small-scale paranormal stuff in a colorful dysfunctional capitalist hellhole that is variously absurd and poignant I guess.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Small-scale paranormal stuff in a colorful dysfunctional capitalist hellhole that is variously absurd and poignant I guess.

I guess the big question here is do you want the PCs to be hosed-up gently caress-ups? I think that would be the part that might be difficult to replicate.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

fool of sound posted:

I guess the big question here is do you want the PCs to be hosed-up gently caress-ups? I think that would be the part that might be difficult to replicate.

I really do.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I haven't played disco elysium but you seem to be describing Unknown Armies

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah def recommending Unknown Armies, especially if you want your characters to maybe have some paranormal powers themselves, albeit limited and weird. It's not really a 1:1 thing but it's a system where characters grow through failure and there are systems for emotional and mental damage and the consequences of that, that aren't just 'insanity points'.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

fool of sound posted:

Yeah def recommending Unknown Armies, especially if you want your characters to maybe have some paranormal powers themselves, albeit limited and weird. It's not really a 1:1 thing but it's a system where characters grow through failure and there are systems for emotional and mental damage and the consequences of that, that aren't just 'insanity points'.

If you don't want powers, though, your original idea of Over the Edge would work really well.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool of sound posted:

I think that would be the part that might be difficult to replicate.

is that sarcastic

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

is that sarcastic

Not really? I've played a lot of systems that do twists and other systems for making failure advance the plot and have interesting consequences, but most of them don't coincide with a system that also has well developed systems for the mental health of the PCs

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fool of sound posted:

Not really? I've played a lot of systems that do twists and other systems for making failure advance the plot and have interesting consequences, but most of them don't coincide with a system that also has well developed systems for the mental health of the PCs

Maybe Trophy Dark as well? I haven't played/read it, but I've heard a lot of chatter about it along those lines.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

There's a bit of an issue with that kind of system in that there's clear "best" breakpoints. The jump from 4 to 5 isn't as big as 5 to 6 and nothing is as good as the jumps from 3 to 4, 7 to 8, 11 to 12 etc. The "easy" solution is to only allow purchases in breakpoints, so 4 is base, then you go to 8, 12, 16 etc and 9 just doesn't exist as a stat you can take. You don't see that as a setup very often though.

Do dice modifiers affect what you need to roll, or just the value of what you roll on the dice for a skill check? If it's the former, then just let the rules ride as is.

Shadowrun's 1st through 3rd editions were much maligned for its target number systems where the probability lept all over the place, but in practice it actually played very well at the table.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 31, 2021

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Arivia posted:

Maybe Trophy Dark as well? I haven't played/read it, but I've heard a lot of chatter about it along those lines.

I don't know how Unknown Armies does it, but Trophy Dark is much more about inevitability, and the fail-forward mechanics are for pushing the characters into more desperate acts to (probably futilely) satisfy their greed or redeem their faults for the sake of drama, tension, and a bleak demise. There's an (often explicit) agreement that the characters are probably not going to make it out in a sane state, if at all, and that's why it's structured around one shots. It's probably a bit too fatalist for something like Disco Elysium.

My dream solution would be a custom homebrew No Gods No Masters game, where each player is able to take control of setting elements and flesh stuff out to be as history-rich and nuanced as the source material is. And the moves, with their token economy, would be tailored toward the fluctuating balance between Harry's/the characters' self-destruction and redemption. But that's a lot of extra work.

JMBosch fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 31, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
For me, the killer feature of Disco Elysium is the lack of player agency (something very unique in a video game).

For those who haven't played, you're basically rolling your stats to just function as a human being. You try to be suave and debonair, but you say something racist instead. You fail your roll to not want a cigarette, so instead of pursuing the plot you have to go find cigarettes instead.

As such, I think you need a game with "self-compels" and players with the right attitude. Something like Cortex Prime or Fate. You need a system that let's players say "I'm going to try and seduce this person, but I can't stop talking about my ex-wife."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I always thought that Spire/Sparkes by the Resistance would be a great system for DE. You could adapt the resistances into different parts of your wretched hangups - take 3 stress to Divorced, d6 stress to Substance Abuse. And the fallout system occasionally pushes you to do something embarrassing and stupid

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Do dice modifiers affect what you need to roll, or just the value of what you roll on the dice for a skill check? If it's the former, then just let the rules ride as is.

Shadowrun's 1st through 3rd editions were much maligned for its target number systems where the probability lept all over the place, but in practice it actually played very well at the table.
Well Alternity is a roll under system with modifiers coming from rolling a separate die and adding or subtracting the result. Your target numbers never change. If it's a system where situational modifiers can affect your base stats then yeah the inbetweeners can theoretically end up situationally as useful but realistically eh. It also means you you can't just write your three per-skill TNs on your sheet.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 31, 2021

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Surely the correct answer is Everyone Is John.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

People are bringing lots of suggestions and they're not bad, but I think it's important to keep in mind that Disco Elysium's strengths comes out of incredibly writing and moody voice acting. That's the kind of thing that doesn't lend itself well to a tabletop roleplaying game, because all the detailed writing and presentation that DE does so well is done by the players and GM in a TTRPG. DE is mechanically an absurdly simple game, being basically an isometric visual novel: everything good about it comes from expert use of that format.

It's not something that can be easily recreated in an off-the-shelf TTRPG because to replicate the stuff like the poignant, colourful, and absurd capitalist hellhole you need to have mechanics that are specifically tooled to organically create a similar experience. Disco Elysium is unique: there is nothing like it, and that means that there's not going to be many existing TTRPGs that can do the job.

You can probably find a game that lets you run small-scale paranormal stuff, but you'll probably have to bring the colorful dysfunctional capitalist hellhole that is variously absurd and poignant yourself.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Agreed that you can’t really replicate DE note by note with a tRPG, but when I read “ Small-scale paranormal stuff in a colorful dysfunctional capitalist hellhole that is variously absurd and poignant I guess.”, my first thought was Electric Bastionland.

Bastion is your colorful dysfunctional capitalist hellhole, a chaotic, industrialized city on the edge of time. Your PCs are all down-and-out folks with a Failed Career, £10K in debt, and little else. Can you make your way as treasure hunters and troubleshooters in a world where everything’s a mess and no one is willing to take responsibility?

(Also there are off-brand Muppets!)

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 1, 2021

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
I want to play a oneshot with fellow roleplayers. What can you recommend me?

Of interest: is there any solitaire-style RPG systems where you emulate your own dungeon crawl?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HeartNotes3 posted:

Of interest: is there any solitaire-style RPG systems where you emulate your own dungeon crawl?

Ironsworn with Delve expansion?

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

HeartNotes3 posted:

I want to play a oneshot with fellow roleplayers. What can you recommend me?
If your group likes horror and character-driven stories, I always recommend Trophy Dark, since it's both rules-light and built for one-shots. I also have a vested interest because I have my own two one-shots (with all rules included) on sale for the next couple days (https://itch.io/s/58259/itchio-halloween-sale-2021), but there are lots more adventures (or "incursions" as they like to call them) around if you search.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Whybird posted:

Surely the correct answer is Everyone Is John.

lol, this sounds like the winner

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

There are human-kender crossbreeds in Dragonlance (Krynn).

I checked every source about FR halflings and Candlekeep scribes I could think of (including the Candlekeep website) and came up with nothing about a secret "dire hin" (zero results for that phrase in anything, actually) or anything like it. There is a mention of a Candlekeep NPC that's an otter but used to be a halfling in MT Black's expansions to Descent to Avernus in Elminster's Candlekeep Compendium, that's the closest thing I found.

How did the halfling turn into an otter?

e-

LatwPIAT posted:

People are bringing lots of suggestions and they're not bad, but I think it's important to keep in mind that Disco Elysium's strengths comes out of incredibly writing and moody voice acting. That's the kind of thing that doesn't lend itself well to a tabletop roleplaying game, because all the detailed writing and presentation that DE does so well is done by the players and GM in a TTRPG. DE is mechanically an absurdly simple game, being basically an isometric visual novel: everything good about it comes from expert use of that format.

It's not something that can be easily recreated in an off-the-shelf TTRPG because to replicate the stuff like the poignant, colourful, and absurd capitalist hellhole you need to have mechanics that are specifically tooled to organically create a similar experience. Disco Elysium is unique: there is nothing like it, and that means that there's not going to be many existing TTRPGs that can do the job.

You can probably find a game that lets you run small-scale paranormal stuff, but you'll probably have to bring the colorful dysfunctional capitalist hellhole that is variously absurd and poignant yourself.

Disco Elysium system itself was originally designed for (and would run well as) a TTRPG. The largest barrier there (besides the creativity of the GM and players, like you implied) is that the interjections of the stats requires the GM to be constantly managing and tracking skill thresholds and noting where passive successes would trigger. It's not impossible but it'd probably require writing out a lot ahead of time to keep track of what information tidbits would trip what passive skill checks constantly. Unless they were severely cut down or straight up cut for efficiency's sake at least.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 1, 2021

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Nuns with Guns posted:

The character is in base DiA and it says something like he was polymorphed into one for a while and then decided he just preferred it. (I was just prepping this part yesterday for my campaign).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So the Discworld Librarian, in essence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nuns with Guns posted:

e-

Disco Elysium system itself was originally designed for (and would run well as) a TTRPG. The largest barrier there (besides the creativity of the GM and players, like you implied) is that the interjections of the stats requires the GM to be constantly managing and tracking skill thresholds and noting where passive successes would trigger. It's not impossible but it'd probably require writing out a lot ahead of time to keep track of what information tidbits would trip what passive skill checks constantly. Unless they were severely cut down or straight up cut for efficiency's sake at least.
The main fellow himself has sixteen skills, and it is suggested in the deep lore of "the patch on the neck of a boutique jacket replicating what your buddy Kim wears in game" that Kim himself does not have the same skills. It's a complicated situation.

I do believe that you can bring your personal copotype into most gaming experiences, however.