Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Have the DE people built up an entire actual campaign world? Because despite them mentioning quite a bit about the word in the game, I get the distinct feeling you’re not "supposed" to leave Revachol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Kurvitz previously wrote a novel called Sacred and Terrible Air that's apparently set in the same world. It's only available in Estonian at the moment although there's apparently an English translation in the works.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nuns with Guns posted:

Disco Elysium system itself was originally designed for (and would run well as) a TTRPG. The largest barrier there (besides the creativity of the GM and players, like you implied) is that the interjections of the stats requires the GM to be constantly managing and tracking skill thresholds and noting where passive successes would trigger.

I'm not so sure it was designed for an RPG. It was built out of RPG campaign notes, but that RPG was "binder full of house rules"-style DnD.

In that sense Electric Bastionland is indeed a fit in terms of a weird world with liminal zones between the major inhabited areas and fightings mostly being small 'whirls' where you very quickly learn if you're winning or not and have a chance to run. But, of course, any of the kooky skills, you're on your own.

And as noted, the skills Harry has are not the skills that Kim has. It's noted that Harry's thoughts talking to him are unique to him, and Kim's method is based on what he writes in his notebook and how he reviews it.

I'd say if you wanted an authentic experience you're either going to play 'Everyone is Harry', an Everyone Is John variant where each player is a different skill, or else you go for something light where you define your own skills, like Freeform Universal, or Fate using the Aspects as Attributes variant.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Eggnogium posted:

The character is in base DiA and it says something like he was polymorphed into one for a while and then decided he just preferred it. (I was just prepping this part yesterday for my campaign).

Dang, that’s a much more pedestrian otterfication than I was hoping for.

Nessus posted:

The main fellow himself has sixteen skills, and it is suggested in the deep lore of "the patch on the neck of a boutique jacket replicating what your buddy Kim wears in game" that Kim himself does not have the same skills. It's a complicated situation.

I do believe that you can bring your personal copotype into most gaming experiences, however.

The jacket’s storefront description shares one skill with the DE protag and lists another skill or something that doesn’t. Clothing isn’t always 100% anchored to specific skill bonuses and can be tied to “bonuses to certain thought cabinet archetypes” so without more details it could go either way. Even if some of the skills don’t overlap though, they’d probably still use the very basic skill check and passive check system in a full ttrpg or custom pc gen games.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Have the DE people built up an entire actual campaign world? Because despite them mentioning quite a bit about the word in the game, I get the distinct feeling you’re not "supposed" to leave Revachol.

I don’t know if they specified how much detail they went into for every corner of the setting they crafted but they made an expansive world out of a D&D game that they were using to develop various art projects out of, like the aforementioned novel. They were also planning a ttrpg but shifted to pitching it as a video game. The initial pitch for DE it was described as “AD&D” like, though that seems to have been shaved down a lot since.

bewilderment posted:

I'm not so sure it was designed for an RPG. It was built out of RPG campaign notes, but that RPG was "binder full of house rules"-style DnD.

In that sense Electric Bastionland is indeed a fit in terms of a weird world with liminal zones between the major inhabited areas and fightings mostly being small 'whirls' where you very quickly learn if you're winning or not and have a chance to run. But, of course, any of the kooky skills, you're on your own.

And as noted, the skills Harry has are not the skills that Kim has. It's noted that Harry's thoughts talking to him are unique to him, and Kim's method is based on what he writes in his notebook and how he reviews it.

I'd say if you wanted an authentic experience you're either going to play 'Everyone is Harry', an Everyone Is John variant where each player is a different skill, or else you go for something light where you define your own skills, like Freeform Universal, or Fate using the Aspects as Attributes variant.

I should clarify that I’m not sure when the current rules system was put in place, but it’s a very basic “roll 2d6, add x and y” system that also has passive skill checks running in the background of every dialogue. They were initially designing the world for ttrpg supplements though. Those might have been D&D based, system agnostic or a house system.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 1, 2021

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Someone I know did make a DE-inspired game somewhere between 'Everyone is John' and 'Doomed Pilgrim', with the GM-like player as the detective and everyone else as skills, but I don't see it on their itch page.

I reckon as far as available games go, a hacked EiJ (already brought up) is probably the best one for playing something like DE. Redo goals to be more like side-goals instead of end-points and distribute world-building ability between the skills and GM (unless you wanna do like DE and have the main character be an amnesiac). People have already pointed out that the skills are probably the hardest part of getting a game to feel like DE and are also a huge effort to portray, so why not split the work over everyone?

So basically, each skill player would:
  • play their skill as a character
  • contribute world-building based on their skill
  • regularly take control to pursue the investigation and their own goals
And the GM/main character player would:
  • play a partner character like Kim to refocus things as needed
  • contribute world-building for things the skills don't know about (or stuff like the revacholiere)
  • introduce problems, move the story along
And depending on how the group feels, either the GM plays all the other characters, or skill players can go dormant for a scene to take on an NPC role instead (edit: since the wider cast is the other big tricky thing about DE).

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 1, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Small-scale paranormal stuff in a colorful dysfunctional capitalist hellhole that is variously absurd and poignant I guess.
Check out Cold City and Hot War and see what you think.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Nessus posted:

The main fellow himself has sixteen skills, and it is suggested in the deep lore of "the patch on the neck of a boutique jacket replicating what your buddy Kim wears in game" that Kim himself does not have the same skills. It's a complicated situation.

I do believe that you can bring your personal copotype into most gaming experiences, however.

You know, Cortex Prime does have overarching values as one of its potential main stat sets, and it does have systems for each character having their own unique values already. You could make this work...

EDIT: Also, UnCO3's post made me think that you could make a really weird Bluebeard's Bride hack work. (It would help if I remembered the actual name of the game.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 1, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This has been an interesting discussion to read for me, because I just finished Disco Elysium on Saturday night. Well, my first playthrough, because I think I'll need to play it again at some point.

I avoided spoilers, and reviews, and Games threads, etc. so I have only my specific runthrough to use as a baseline of analysis. That said, for me DE was about :

• Self-discovery. Amnesia is such a tired trope it was a turn-off at first, but I realized it establishes a very honest sort of baseline from which Harry can investigate himself, critically or uncritically, however the player chooses. For me, with the choices I made, it was a process of understanding one's damage, as well as one's usefulness and places of strength.
  • Unfinished business. Most of what I encountered in DE had a past my character wasn't present for, and a future my character wouldn't be present for. I stepped in and out of people's lives, often made changes that affected them, but only rarely (in I'd say about... three cases) was involved in the end of their story one way or another; and I get the strong impression that with different choices, that number might be higher or lower. But the overarching story, including the central murder investigation, was only "resolved" to some level of kinda dissatisfying degree... which I think is:
  • ...very cop-like. This is the most honest take on police work I've ever seen, however divorced it is from modern police work. The cops show up after bad things happen, they may make more bad things happen or maybe not, they may or may not investigate, and when they're done, things aren't resolved yet - perhaps there's an arrest, perhaps not. There are loose ends, people who are hurt, but it's time for the cop to move on to the next thing. Sure, Harry takes wandering around poking his nose into probably-unrelated events to an absurd degree, but he's special, and Kim gives us a running commentary of what a more normal-cop view of policing might be. I don't see how anything could be played as Disco Elysium Game without it being about cop work. It might be in the same setting, but that's a fundamental thematic element.
  • Sad. It's loving sad. Harry is sad, the people in Revachol are sad (and; angry, or resigned, or defiant, or oblivious, or content with the tiny space they're still in control of, or even hopeful... but always either personally sad, or sad to consider). The political situation is so very sad. The history, as revealed through conversation and books and so on, is terrible and tragic. Every political angle you can choose to adopt is shown as grotesque in some way. Even the most laudable characters in the game are unfortunate in some way or another. This was a difficult game to get through for me. I had to take it in chunks, with multi-day breaks between playing sessions. There were many things in the game that made me smile, but often in a sort of wistful fondness. In the end, my Harry has kicked his alcoholism maybe, and solved a murder, but multiple people died in the process, Harry is probably still doomed to dreaming about his ex and how messed up that is, the cops are still overwhelmed, Cuno and his friend are still basically homeless parentless and doomed, and the absent, powerful rulers of Revachol still have it under their gunsights but are obviously totally unable or unwilling to help its people. I think there might be paths through the game that result in different end states, but I get the strong impression that all of the paths are varying degrees of sad.

I don't feel like I could handle an RPG that honestly took on the themes of self-discovery, incapacity to make major changes in the world, being a cop, and being surrounded by sadness. If someone else could, good on ya: but having the character be a separate character from me, with an avatar on the screen, allowed me to maintain a little bit of emotional separation that I think would be harder in a pen-and-paper RPG style of play.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I think that DE has enough significant factors that wanting to "do an RPG that's like DE" could mean too many different things to tackle alone.

Does it mean violence-free detective work? Does it mean the alt-tech setting, or the bleak atmosphere? Does it mean the passive-heavy skill rolls or the skills-as-dialogue system?

On top of that, it depends on a bunch of standards that aren't accepted in RPGs (such as repeated NPC dialog and save-and-restore).

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Does anyone know any good youtubers that talk about 40k stuff? I was watching these lore videos but then the guy started going on and on about time or whatever. I just want to listen to the history of the eldar and the eldar only I don't care about the humans or theories about how time works in that universe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hyphz posted:

I think that DE has enough significant factors that wanting to "do an RPG that's like DE" could mean too many different things to tackle alone.

Does it mean violence-free detective work? Does it mean the alt-tech setting, or the bleak atmosphere? Does it mean the passive-heavy skill rolls or the skills-as-dialogue system?

On top of that, it depends on a bunch of standards that aren't accepted in RPGs (such as repeated NPC dialog and save-and-restore).
I honestly think there is an enormous potential audience for violence-free, or at least violence-light, detective work style games. It is at least as prominent in our culture - if not orders of magnitude more so - and it isn't like you can't still have fighting in it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

I honestly think there is an enormous potential audience for violence-free, or at least violence-light, detective work style games. It is at least as prominent in our culture - if not orders of magnitude more so - and it isn't like you can't still have fighting in it.

Isn't that Bubblegumshoe/maybe Mutant City Blues?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nessus posted:

You can run Gumshoe as combat minimal very easily. Characters are generally more Kim than Harry in Gumshoe tho.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Nessus posted:

Absolutely, and I'd have said Gumshoe for that too, it's just unusual in an RPG because of a) the difficulty of keeping multiple people involved instead of just the single detective, and b) as mentioned, the fact that detective video games get away with a ton of unnatural stuff that wouldn't fly in an RPG.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

fool of sound posted:

You can run Gumshoe as combat minimal very easily. Characters are generally more Kim than Harry in Gumshoe tho.

It's impossible for Harry not to be an incredibly competent investigator, so both he and Kim are Gumshoe PCs like any others. The only actual difference is going to be that one of them is roleplayed as a barely-functioning alcoholic trainwreck of a person, and nothing in any Gumshoe game is stopping you from doing that. :v:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I always thought Spire would be a good base for Disco Elysium. Just replace the normal Resistances, with things like Divorced, Substance-Abuse, or Authority. Then when they build up too much Stress they run out the room crying or shoot a street urchin.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I always thought that Spire/Sparkes by the Resistance would be a great system for DE. You could adapt the resistances into different parts of your wretched hangups - take 3 stress to Divorced, d6 stress to Substance Abuse. And the fallout system occasionally pushes you to do something embarrassing and stupid

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I always thought Spire would be a good base for Disco Elysium. Just replace the normal Resistances, with things like Divorced, Substance-Abuse, or Authority. Then when they build up too much Stress they run out the room crying or shoot a street urchin.

I completely agree, though Resistance is right below Cortex Prime on my list of games I don't like to recommend lest they get lumped in with Fate /Savage Worlds/GURPS

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
You'd need to tweak the skills, but yeah the base Resistance system, especially with the iterative improvements from Heart is a really cool framework for narrative driven games. Base Spire had a few rough spots I felt a bit more play in the wild, player feeeback, and seeing how other games addressed some 'tech issues' helped smooth over.
I'd love to see a 2nd edition Spire that carries over some of those fixes while still remaining a unique enough beast. Like the stress system from Heart just flows so much better and is easier to explain to people.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just gave Spire a peep. Anyone played it? How’s it compare to Blades in the Dark? Mechanics look similar at a glance.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Orc Priest posted:

Does anyone know any good youtubers that talk about 40k stuff? I was watching these lore videos but then the guy started going on and on about time or whatever. I just want to listen to the history of the eldar and the eldar only I don't care about the humans or theories about how time works in that universe.

I'm a big fan of the Oculus Imperia.

https://www.youtube.com/c/OculusImperia

In character, he's a historian commissioned by the reborn primarch to collate a true history of the Imperium, starting with the Unification Wars, the Legions and the Great Crusade, and the Heresy. In affect, the Oculus is calm, a true monastic type in a setting that is the opposite. I like the contradiction, and I like how easy he is to listen too. There's lots of solid information, some good commentary, and some wry humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a41ftLFg_E

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I got intrigued by the Kickstarter for Mothership, a sci-fi horror game. A couple of years ago I heard about a similarly Alien-inspired RPG that was designed to be played in one-shots, and I remember that its main hook was the GM also plays as the spaceship's mainframe that turns from helpful to evil. I'm not sure if it ever actually came out, though. I think a guest on an episode of Plot Points was talking about it as an upcoming release from his publishing company.

Edit:
I did some digging and figured out that it was Airlock from Magpie Games, and it has yet to come out.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 2, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone use the pro fantasy map making software?

https://www.humblebundle.com/softwa..._softwarebundle

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Anyone use the pro fantasy map making software?

https://www.humblebundle.com/softwa..._softwarebundle

It's pretty robust and there are a ton of tutorials for it, but the learning curve can be kind of steep depending on how fancy you want to get. Getting the specific symbol sets you might want can also be pricey, even after buying a bundle or two.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Just gave Spire a peep. Anyone played it? How’s it compare to Blades in the Dark? Mechanics look similar at a glance.
We've got a small thread for it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882764&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

It's a fun game, not as tight mechanically as Blades imo, and with the base rules PCs are a lot more fragile. The biggest weakness the base game seemed to have was not really having a good mechanic for longer term projects or stuff that requires multiple rolls, like say clocks which are easy enough to import.
I also just loved how flavorful the classes are, with very few "so this is just your <typical RPG archetype>." For example the closest thing to say a paladin mechanically (high defense, intervenes to protect others, some healing magic) is a mutant half spider midwife. While the class with the most boring and generic name, the Knight, is actually a pub crawling hooligan that can always find a drink or trouble, but because of weirdness in the city charter, they still have the power of the law behind them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

I completely agree, though Resistance is right below Cortex Prime on my list of games I don't like to recommend lest they get lumped in with Fate /Savage Worlds/GURPS

I was writing that first one on the bus and could have sworn I gave up and never posted it....

(but Spire owns, and I wanna see more games do cool things with the system)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Speaking of map software, I've been using rpgmap for my recent Hard Wired Island (cyberpunk) game. Anyone know a better map maker than that for real-world-esque games? Rpgmap is good but I'm always on the lookout for better stuff.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gort posted:

Speaking of map software, I've been using rpgmap for my recent Hard Wired Island (cyberpunk) game. Anyone know a better map maker than that for real-world-esque games? Rpgmap is good but I'm always on the lookout for better stuff.

It looked like one of the map packs in that pro fantasy bundle could draw modern stuff that looked like it couls come out of an old Thomas guide

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What other card games (CCG/TCG) had true asymmetry, other than Netrunner? I'm not talking Light Side vs. Dark Side factions, I'm talking different turn structure, different card types, different Victory conditions.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CitizenKeen posted:

What other card games (CCG/TCG) had true asymmetry, other than Netrunner? I'm not talking Light Side vs. Dark Side factions, I'm talking different turn structure, different card types, different Victory conditions.

Aliens Predator from the 90s had Aliens, Marines, and Predators. They don't quite have different card types if you consider Alien/Marine/Predator character cards and Marine/Predator equipment to just be different variations of "Character" and "Equipment" but they had different starting conditions for each of the three groups and different win conditions. All three factions also used "Supporting Character" cards in different ways.

For some context, the game had a map built from Location cards. You started with a pair of locations and could play additional locations to the left or right of your starting locations, forming a line that your characters can move between. Your starting locations are unique, but any other locations you play are considered to be the same as locations of the same type your opponent has played and you can use them to access your opponent's side of the field. You can spend time to search locations with your characters for Equipment and Supporting Characters cards that are in your hand and have tags matching tags on the location card. All factions can win by wiping out the opposition, and have a unique alternate win condition.

Marines started with 4 Marine Characters of the player's choice, some basic Equipment, and the Docking Bay and Weapons Locker locations in play. They could spend time searching for extra Equipment in the weapons locker, and then set out to search for Supporting Characters. The Marines can evacuate Supporting Characters through the Docking Bay. The Marines win if rescue enough Supporting Characters.

The Predator starts with a Predator Character of the player's choice, some basic equipment, and a Predator Ship and Docking Bay location. They can search their ship for more Equipment before heading out. Unlike Marine Characters and Equipment, the Predator versions have Honor values. Enemies that the Predator kills are worth Honor points. Supporting Characters are worth Honor but enemy Characters are worth even more. Once the Predator has acquired at least as much Honor as their Character and Equipment are worth, they can return to their ship and evacuate to win.

The Alien starts with a Young Queen, a couple of Alien Warriors, a Breeding Chamber, and some other hived location that I can't remember. Aliens can't use Equipment, but they can search for Supporting Characters and use them to reproduce to make more Aliens. Aliens can spend time converting a non-hived location to a hived one. They win if they hive all map locations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I have never heard of this, and while I'm assuming it was busted and janky and unintuitive as all 90s CCGs were, that sounds rad.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CitizenKeen posted:

I have never heard of this, and while I'm assuming it was busted and janky and unintuitive as all 90s CCGs were, that sounds rad.

It was all of those things and that's why it was awesome to me as a 12 year old!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

BattleMaster posted:

Aliens Predator from the 90s [&c.]

We loved playing this game, I don't know why my Predator deck didn't survive into the present with my other cards. Maybe it was the weird oversized deck boxes the game used (to keep dice and counters in, if memory serves) that didn't fit in my card box, who knows.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CitizenKeen posted:

You might enjoy the Alien and Predator Legendary Encounters games.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Splicer posted:

You might enjoy the Alien and Predator Legendary Encounters games.

Maybe, but I've been wondering about games with a deck construction component (as opposed to a deck building or board game).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CitizenKeen posted:

Maybe, but I've been wondering about games with a deck construction component (as opposed to a deck building or board game).
Yeah it was more of an aside than a response to your original question.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's a shame most of the CCG fad was before the innovation of selling precons you modify with the random boosters came out. A lot of those games would have really benefited from it. Hell, even games that came after it did dumb stuff like not in anyway distribute card types in a usable rarity.
The WoW ccg might fit the list of asymmetric gameplay, but only in the raid mode, where one player controls a raid deck which as different setup, mechanics and turn order rules than the regular decks. Though the raid decks were entirely precons, only the player techs were actually customized and built.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Shadowfist probably did the best pre-con decks. They were all absolutely playable and you could win with them against custom decks.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It didn't help that Wizards of the Coast was contracted to do a number of CCG's but purposely made them bad or flawed so they wouldn't beat MtG. That may sound like a conspiracy theory but I believe it's been openly admitted by former devs and employees because original WotC doesn't exist anymore.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

CitizenKeen posted:

The Hunter faction in VtES was loving weird, didn't work like anything else, and cause all kinds of unforeseen rules interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It didn't help that Wizards of the Coast was contracted to do a number of CCG's but purposely made them bad or flawed so they wouldn't beat MtG. That may sound like a conspiracy theory but I believe it's been openly admitted by former devs and employees because original WotC doesn't exist anymore.
I feel like there must be some kind of TSR Curse where you make products bad on purpose, out of spite or stupid nerd reasons.