Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Thoguh posted:

That thread would get like a page a month of posts if you gave up on trying to reason with them.

i cant stop

its addicting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

those posters are great examples of how people with book smarts can be and are still complete pompous self-obsessed morons devoid of any ability to reason with simple lizard-brain levels of common sense.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
30% of vaxxed iowans are not hospitalized

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Got my Moderna booster (the half dose) on Friday, went pretty smoothly-- had a mild fever and mild body aches on Saturday, felt a little off on Sunday, and feel pretty much back to normal today. Seemed to be about the same as dose 2, maybe a little easier. My wife is getting hers in about a week, and she booked a couple of days off from work to recuperate, because the second dose kicked the poo poo out of her. Hoping that's not the case for her with the booster, but has anyone really had a milder reaction to their booster than they did their second?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I observed that before the pandemic a lot of the service and other low wage workers (grocery store for example) were of retirement age. I'm pretty sure that accounts for a lot of workforce displacement, they just died or retired, because who the gently caress wants to scrap with a Karen who didn't get her $1 burrito.

you just made me realize that the elderly employees who used to work at my local safeway aren't there anymore, along with half the other employees (and they finally installed self-checkout machines, because of the lack of workers i assume)

this one old guy who works at trader joes who looks like bernie sanders is still there though lol

unlike that safeway, that trader joes has had been extremely good about limiting customers in the store, enforcing masks, sanitizing all the carts/baskets, and having security at the doors to make sure no maskless freaks get in. The safeway stopped bothering with lines and mask enforcement at the door, and sanitizing poo poo like a year ago. But now the trader joes has also opened biden, so no more lines or sanitizing of carts, but at least the employees and customers in both stores are still wearing masks 90% of the time.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

poll plane variant posted:

shut up fake plane

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Rah! posted:

you just made me realize that the elderly employees who used to work at my local safeway aren't there anymore, along with half the other employees (and they finally installed self-checkout machines, because of the lack of workers i assume)

this one old guy who works at trader joes who looks like bernie sanders is still there though lol

unlike that safeway, that trader joes has had been extremely good about limiting customers in the store, enforcing masks, sanitizing all the carts/baskets, and having security at the doors to make sure no maskless freaks get in. The safeway stopped bothering with lines and mask enforcement at the door, and sanitizing poo poo like a year ago. But now the trader joes has also opened biden, so no more lines or sanitizing of carts, but at least the employees and customers in both stores are still wearing masks 90% of the time.

yeah i haven't seen an old person as a walmart greeter in like a year now, they're loving gone

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Pillowpants posted:

Same; but Five Guys, Jersey Mikes, and Chipotle. FYI: Little Caesers is the Applebees of Pizza takeout. Also, just spent $8 on a container of strawberries that cost like $5 last year.

The 8 packs of stagg chili at the costco were $14

Now their 6 packs and i know how tom joad felt :(

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Was talking with some co-workers last week about the booster and someone said they'll have to wait until they can find a free weekend to suffer through the effects. I don't understand that at all. Weekend is my time.

I just went and got boosted and the flu shot this morning so all of my suffering happens while I am also being paid.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Gio posted:

shut up fake plane

your claim that like 550k people are currently hospitalized in a small midwestern state is lmao

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I got called a qanon follower by my in laws yesterday because I dared to call Bill Gates an rear end in a top hat regarding mRNA intellectual property getekeeping versus distributing the Merck oral pill worldwide.

like you can't even be critical of the people who are ruling the planet lest the blue MAGA think you're not on the right team.

just point out he's an epstein fan and only the most depraved blue magats will defend him

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol no, in the hospital census for last week, 30% of people hospitalized for covid were also vaccinated

it's a valid point that it's a small sample size compared to the entire country and not weighted for age, but WI's data is larger and age weighted and also shows the same trends -- the overall ratio of unvaxxed outcomes to vaxxed outcomes, in cases and hospitalizations, is dropping.

waning protection against severe disease is uncontroversial enough that the NYTs even wrote about it last thursday
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/10/28/us/covid-breakthrough-cases.html

there's lots of "everything is okay!" language you have to parse through but:

quote:

The data can also give scientists a crude understanding of the effectiveness of the vaccine over time. If the ratio of cases or deaths among the unvaccinated to those among the vaccinated holds steady, the vaccines are thought to be maintaining their protection.

For example, the ratio of case rates declined somewhat in the summer, to six times as high for the unvaccinated in August from about 11 times as high in mid-June, giving scientists reason to believe that the vaccine’s protection against infection might be waning slightly. The ratio for deaths has been flatter over time for all but the oldest age groups, an indication that vaccine protection against death is holding strong.

emphasis mine. like children being exposed, we're just dismissing old people's declining VE as well, that's clearly not something we have to worry about

infuriating we are choosing to just ignore old people as curious outliers to our robust vaccines rather than push boosters in LTCFs as hard as we pushed original vaccines.

time to shave off another few years of life expectancy!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

You can drive a car can't you? Driving a truck is just like that!

when i was 16 and didn't have a drivers license my coworker let me drive a big box truck (whatever the biggest size is before you need a truck driving license) in order to clear a driveway we were blocking, while he was busy with something

he also had at least one DUI on his record and was the guy who gave me my first cigarette, and he once had me stand on the forklift forks while we lifted some heavy rear end poo poo 20 feet in the air

great dude lol

i wonder what his position in the CDC is

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Oh yeah that's very true. Even if you kind of write off kids as just not likely to make a dent in the state numbers and ignore the ineligible as part of the "hospitalizable" pool the efficacy is clearly waning and boosting is key.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BraveUlysses posted:

just point out he's an epstein fan and only the most depraved blue magats will defend him

I'm pretty sure if I retorted with "yeah but did you see the video where he was asked about his relationship with Jeffrey Epstein and he spun in his chair like an Oogie Boogie filled entirely with child corpses?" it would not help my standing.

e: also my brother in law worked for the gates foundation as a contractor for like six years and he somehow feels the need to defend him? it's fuckin sad.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OCey7z-18

Good news for everyone looking to hire freethinkers with anger issues!

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Dren posted:

i thought one of mcconnell's conditions for one of the bailouts was employer immunity against this type of lawsuit

He never got that enshrined in federal law, AFAIK - but a ton of states passed laws to that effect.

I think it's stupid hard to prove you got it at work regardless too. The law is pretty drat hostile to normal people.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

your claim that like 550k people are currently hospitalized in a small midwestern state is lmao

shut up fake plane

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Teenage Riot posted:

I got boosted on Saturday and aside from all the other symptoms have had a single Rush song stuck on my head the whole time, did not realize I could blame Pfizer for this

Definitely my favorite part of the experience because it's so bizarre. 2nd dose was a pink and green line descending into the void all night. 3rd dose was asking myself "should I go into the office" all night (I am unemployed and don't work in an office) with the black and white charts from the 50ug Moderna study floating around like a screensaver. It's all so abstract and frenetic as it's happening, it's fascinating.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I got called a qanon follower by my in laws yesterday because I dared to call Bill Gates an rear end in a top hat regarding mRNA intellectual property getekeeping versus distributing the Merck oral pill worldwide.

like you can't even be critical of the people who are ruling the planet lest the blue MAGA think you're not on the right team.

After I argued my way out of a fire alarm inspection with apartment complex management, my MIL sent my wife articles about the QAnon "vaccine shedding" conspiracy and asked if that's what I've gotten myself into (I'd said that COVID is airborne and can hang in the air for hours). MSNBC has stolen our parents.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Why Am I So Tired posted:

After I argued my way out of a fire alarm inspection with apartment complex management, my MIL sent my wife articles about the QAnon "vaccine shedding" conspiracy and asked if that's what I've gotten myself into (I'd said that COVID is airborne and can hang in the air for hours). MSNBC has stolen our parents.

when I said "my in laws" I actually meant my wife's brother and his wife, not her parents.

these people are late 30/early 40s.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

Apparently my mom assumed I voted for Trump for like 2 years because I criticized Hillary Clinton

I have friends that blame me for Trump winning because I criticized Hillary Clinton and wrote someone else in....I lived in MA at the time and there was no way he was winning that state.

Even after i got sued for defamation due to a Trump piece i wrote, they still weren't convinced.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
my head is not going to explode! :toot: my only medical thing left this year is my vaccine booster in a couple weeks. can't wait.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OCey7z-18

Good news for everyone looking to hire freethinkers with anger issues!

comments disabled.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
creeping up on that 25-50 million worldwide death toll from the 1918 flu

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1455132732439334918

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

And that is with multiple vaccines that could be widely distributed across the globe. That Covid is sure an awe-inspiring piece of angry chemicals.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

mod sassinator posted:

Bruce Hussein Daddy, what country/state’s population matches this death toll number?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

rookie numbers

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

and how many lives have been shattered but continue on?...

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

durrneez posted:

Bruce Hussein Daddy, what country/state’s population matches this death toll number?

Halfway between Penn and NYS. Or Somalia.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

just dropping this to say this is new data visualization I hadn’t seen that looks at breakthrough by age cohorts

e: no matter your age, infections go up by about the same amount, so it’s waning for everybody pretty much equally on that front. I guess this jives with a there still being a decent amount of younger people getting rocked by COVID, just not dying.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 1, 2021

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

saw this while driving and thought of the covid thread. also the bro zone thread.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/pksmid/status/1455193715253907460?s=20

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

mod sassinator posted:

love to see banned posters with alt accounts own themselves though lmao

Wasn't that poster pedo adjacent? Anyway, that guy is the worst.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

gently caress

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Slider posted:

gently caress

Yeah this is turning out to be a fun day for news

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gio posted:

venting here bc im not getting in the weeds with data like others in The Bad Thread, but just lmao at several posters there working Very Hard to suggest the vaccines are working perfectly and actually 30% of vaxxed iowans hospitalized is totally normal acceptable levels of death and suffering

I doubt we managed to convince anyone, but at least we tried :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazyweasel posted:

just dropping this to say this is new data visualization I hadn’t seen that looks at breakthrough by age cohorts

e: no matter your age, infections go up by about the same amount, so it’s waning for everybody pretty much equally on that front. I guess this jives with a there still being a decent amount of younger people getting rocked by COVID, just not dying.

The data ends in early September before the Delta wave deaths had even peaked