Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Warbird posted:

Is Mylar3 bad or is the linuxsever.io container for it just not up to snuff? I’ve had to recreate it multiple times now due to basic stuff breaking and it’s just ungodly slow and unable to play ball well with indexers.
I could not get the docker running many months ago and went back to Mylar2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I’m about ready to just go back to trying Usenet. Trying to climb the private tracker pyramid is getting annoying as hell. Although I guess indexers aren’t much better.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Usenet indexers are actually much better

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Nzbhydra2 corrupted it's own database again recently so I got fed up and switched to Prowlarr. Super easy to setup, backup and restore. Never going back to Hydra.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Nzbhydra2 corrupted it's own database again recently so I got fed up and switched to Prowlarr. Super easy to setup, backup and restore. Never going back to Hydra.

Sonarr, Radarr, Prowlarr ... jesus people, have some imagination. And the same old .NET codebase they're all built upon. Oh well .

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

kri kri posted:

Usenet indexers are actually much better

The last time I was trying my hand at Usenet (2017ish?), it seemed basically the same as trying to get into private torrent sites. Plus you had to pay money to utilize automatic downloads/APIs. That's on top of paying for a provider or multiple to evade take-downs. I got tired of it, but again I'm not convinced the route I'm going is much better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Volguus posted:

Sonarr, Radarr, Prowlarr ... jesus people, have some imagination. And the same old .NET codebase they're all built upon. Oh well .

I like it, tells me exactly what I need to know about the app before I install it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Helpimscared posted:

The last time I was trying my hand at Usenet (2017ish?), it seemed basically the same as trying to get into private torrent sites. Plus you had to pay money to utilize automatic downloads/APIs. That's on top of paying for a provider or multiple to evade take-downs. I got tired of it, but again I'm not convinced the route I'm going is much better.

You’re doing it wrong.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Volguus posted:

Arr matey

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

The Gunslinger posted:

Yesterday I was looking at system resource consumption and noticed that nzbhydra2 had been doing 450GB of disk writes over the past couple of weeks which I think is crazy for the kind of work it's actually doing. After tweaking database settings I've got it down to 15GB/day which is better but still bad. I don't understand what it's doing to that database. Last week it broke down and couldn't start up anymore after I'd added one extra term to the "Remove trailing" search result processing list, thought it'd corrupted its db again but this time it was just the config file that needed a restore.

Yeah, I'm thinking of checking out Prowlarr.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like it, tells me exactly what I need to know about the app before I install it.

Just don't get tricked by Bazarr which sounds and looks like one of the guys but is actually a Flask app.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Keito posted:

Yesterday I was looking at system resource consumption and noticed that nzbhydra2 had been doing 450GB of disk writes over the past couple of weeks which I think is crazy for the kind of work it's actually doing. After tweaking database settings I've got it down to 15GB/day which is better but still bad. I don't understand what it's doing to that database. Last week it broke down and couldn't start up anymore after I'd added one extra term to the "Remove trailing" search result processing list, thought it'd corrupted its db again but this time it was just the config file that needed a restore.

It's just been intermittent annoyances with hydra2. Periodically corrupting its YML file, excessive disk writes to my unRAID cache drive, not recovering properly after a wipe and so on. Just fed up with the nonsense, I hate computer janitoring now. Prowlarr was a breeze to setup, seems to have all of the features I care about and restores work perfectly.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I like Usenet a lot more than private trackers. Got Eweka as the only provider, and DrunkenSlug and NZBGeek as indexers. Works like a charm! For anime I prefer Nyaa + AnimeBytes, though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is the go to for indexers Slug and whatever works well enough? I have geek and it’s fine; slug seems like you mainly want it for the “exclusive” items it covers.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
My experience has been the opposite. Geek has been getting stuff that Slug didn't have. So Geek became my primary and I've been happier for it.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

This is my nzbhydra stats, the yellow is one of those DoNt SpEaK tHe NaMe ones. I'm using Eweka and frugal for providers, very rarely have completion issues.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Here's my Prowlarr stats if anyone cares:

Rarbg and TPB are torrent sites, the rest are nzb. Also I only have the free tier of DrunkenSlug, so there's only 5 queries a day or something really low like that.

I switched over from Hydra about 3 months ago.

I use Frugal Usenet as my provider with all of their the servers setup as recommended.

Slash fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 1, 2021

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Most of mine are nzb.su and nzbgeek. There's a few private indexers but they only get the odd hit every now and then. After nzbs.org went down I swore off relying on any single source so I tend to have like 2 good ones and about 5-6 as backups. I only tend to pay for 2-3 though.

nzb.cat was alright at the start but it's gone to poo poo over the past few years. That said the "lifetime" cost was cheap and it paid for itself so /shrug

Very happy with Prowlarr so far. I've also embarked on using tdarr to convert my ridiculous library to h265 and it's going to net around 6TB of space back. Unfortunately the lack of any GPU to transcode means it will take a few months but so be it!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Gunslinger posted:

... I've also embarked on using tdarr to convert my ridiculous library to h265 and it's going to net around 6TB of space back. Unfortunately the lack of any GPU to transcode means it will take a few months but so be it!

Do tell us more about this.

I use private trackers over usenet for my linux ISOs but it would be great to have an automated way to go thru my library and convert things to h265 to save space.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://tdarr.io/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Prowlarr is pretty neat but I’m not seeing a whole lot of benefit to it so long as I’m using a single provider/indexer; though I would expect that to change over time. It’s neat that you can hook it into private torrent sites for distros that aren’t in Usenet but I haven’t been able to get that working right thus far. Can’t quite tell if it’s me or the earlyish state of the software.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Warbird posted:

Prowlarr is pretty neat but I’m not seeing a whole lot of benefit to it so long as I’m using a single provider/indexer; though I would expect that to change over time. It’s neat that you can hook it into private torrent sites for distros that aren’t in Usenet but I haven’t been able to get that working right thus far. Can’t quite tell if it’s me or the earlyish state of the software.

No, that's a pretty accurate assessment. For an individual using a single indexer on their own it doesn't really get you anything. The advantages come mostly from when you have more than one indexer and can now manage them in one place and have it "just work" across all your downloaders.

The only real use case I could see for a single indexer would be sharing an account with friends and proxying all the requests through one box to hide that fact.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
For me, Prowlarr shines over Hydra because its a single point to configure your indexers (like Hydra) but instead of just adding Hydra to your other Arrs, Prowlarr configures each indexer/torrent source natively in your clients. Most of the time this doesn’t matter but if you want to manually search and say download something specifically from a single indexer, you now have that option.

It’s got a ways to go but so far I like it more than Hydra. If Hydra is working fine for you and you dont care about what i posted then no need to switch.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Matt Zerella posted:

Prowlarr configures each indexer/torrent source natively in your clients.

Nailed it. It's nice to have one place to handle all your indexers. Plus, Prowlarr makes connecting apps, like Radarr and Sonarr, a breeze.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Armauk posted:

Nailed it. It's nice to have one place to handle all your indexers. Plus, Prowlarr makes connecting apps, like Radarr and Sonarr, a breeze.

I'm not sure I understand. All my indexers are handled by Radarr and Sonarr. How does another program on top of those help?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oldstench posted:

I'm not sure I understand. All my indexers are handled by Radarr and Sonarr. How does another program on top of those help?

If you have like 8 indexers, Prowlarr automatically pushes them to your apps (Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, whatever) instead of you sitting around manually configuring them for each one. It's pretty slick and it makes changing them easy too.

quote:

Do tell us more about this.

I use private trackers over usenet for my linux ISOs but it would be great to have an automated way to go thru my library and convert things to h265 to save space.

tdarr can go through your library, check the health of the video files then make a list of stuff re-encode to various codecs. The obvious choice is H265 since it's very comparable on quality and saves space. tdarr basically automates this, it will analyze a file, re-encode it then replace your old library file with the new one. I'm saving anywhere from 20-40% space per file, it's a pretty big savings and I can't discern a quality difference. You really want to have a cheap GPU to help out though, with just CPU encoding it was going to take like 3 months to do my whole library. I ordered a Quadro P400 to assist.

The configuration is not the hardest thing I've done but the UI is weird so definitely watch a few videos first.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 2, 2021

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Oldstench posted:

You had to set up the indexers on Radarr AND Sonarr, right? That means, if you use 3 indexers, you had to set them up twice. With Prowlarr, you do that once. If you add a new indexer to Prowlarr, it gets pushed to Radarr and Sonarr automatically.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Armauk posted:

You had to set up the indexers on Radarr AND Sonarr, right? That means, if you use 3 indexers, you had to set them up twice. With Prowlarr, you do that once. If you add a new indexer to Prowlarr, it gets pushed to Radarr and Sonarr automatically.

And to clarify on top of this, you don't just see a single entry for Prowlarr like you do with Hydra. Each indexer, whether torrent or nab on Prowlarr gets set up like you would normally set them up without Prowlarr. 6 indexers? 6 entries automatically get set up in Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr all through the API. Change a setting on the indexer in Prowlarr? It gets synced to your *arr.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

This is after switching to Prowlarr roughly 3 months ago? I have paid accounts on the first two, DOGnzb I'm using my expired premium. DOGnzb is highly competitive with the other two for my use case but the reason why I'm currently not subscribed is the payment method which is extremely dumb.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So what’s the Black Friday situation around indexers/providers? I’m monthly with Ninja, but I’d be open to swapping over if there are any expected decent deals on the horizon.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Warbird posted:

So what’s the Black Friday situation around indexers/providers? I’m monthly with Ninja, but I’d be open to swapping over if there are any expected decent deals on the horizon.

we really wont know until that week.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
However almost all providers do have some sort of sale or promotion for the holidays so definitely wait before committing to anything. As for who to keep an eye on, I think most of us are having pretty good luck with Frugal and Eweka for providers and Geek and Slug for indexers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah BF sales are definitely a thing. Thunder News (the only provider I use) always has killer deals.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah BF sales are definitely a thing. Thunder News (the only provider I use) always has killer deals.

Are there BF sales for indexers, news hosting, or both?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Armauk posted:

Are there BF sales for indexers, news hosting, or both?

If I recall generally providers, can't recall any indexers having sales but I also usually do lifetime so I don't look for them actively

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Here are the deals from last year https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/k04ykd/2020_black_friday_deal_thread_confirmed_deals/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, I try to find indexers that will do a lifetime payment as well.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Just stay the hell away from NewsDemon no matter how good their sales are this year.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just stay the hell away from NewsDemon no matter how good their sales are this year.

What's up with them :ohdear: I have a monthly subscription there for 3/mo, I don't get much traffic through them but haven't cancelled yet mostly because :effort:, but I really don't need them with both Frugal and Eweka...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did I miss something? I have Supernews and Newsdemon and I'm pretty sure this thread pointed me to both but it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Their retention is absolute garbage and they are heavily affected by takedowns. They were my only provider for years over the summer I was having completion issues with even brand new shows. Switched over to the Newsgroup Ninja $30 a year plan and everything just works again like it should.

These issues are on top of the fuckery they pulled a couple years ago when a big chunk of people on their cheap plan suddenly lost their plans aren't weren't allowed to get back on them.