Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/ninalakhani/status/1455188469400195082?t=lECibNoVZBSdubL4S5IwzA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

please tell me he immediately poo poo his pants on stage after this

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Based solutions to climate change

Call the CO2 in the atmosphere a cuck

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

oh thank goodness. this is actually a huge relief because the economy of my country is built around market-based solutions and they could also potentially make me a lot of money. so this is pretty ideal. great news, i’m going to go tell my friends :)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Climate change is a market based problem and it only makes sense that there is a market based solution

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

we should've been burying COVID dead in wind turbine blades

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottmar_Edenhofer

quote:

From 2008 to 2015 he served as a co-chair of Working Group III "Mitigation of Climate Change" of the (IPCC). Under his leadership as co-chair, the IPCC published the Special Report on Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation[10] (SRREN)

Well he's an economist, but still it's hard to argue with those credentials.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
great more empty platitudes. where's the subsidies for my app to crowdsource mass graves joe?? the market's ready to solve this crisis but we gotta see those incentives

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

RIP Syndrome posted:

Hahahaha, oh wow.

We're actually hosed, lol.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Nuclear winter will fix everything

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

I looked at the speech transcript and didn't see anything remotely resembling this:

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/joe-biden-cop26-climate-summit-glasgow-speech-transcript

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

RIP Syndrome posted:

instead of whitewash things our guy set the building on fire.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I looked at the speech transcript and didn't see anything remotely resembling this:

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/joe-biden-cop26-climate-summit-glasgow-speech-transcript

Not even remotely?

Biden posted:

My Build Back Better framework will make historic investments in clean energy, the most significant investment to deal with the climate crisis that any advanced nation is made ever. We’re going to cut US greenhouse gas emissions by well over a gigaton by 2030, while making it more affordable for consumers to save on their own energy bills with tax credits for things like installing solar panels, weatherizing their homes. Lowering energy prices will also deliver cleaner air and water for our children, electrifying fleets of school buses, increasing credits for electric vehicles and addressing legacy pollution. It will incentivize clean energy manufacturing, building the solar panels and the wind turbines that are growing energy markets of the future. Which will create good paying union jobs for American workers and something that none of us should lose sight of.

Biden posted:

Since then, our administration has been hard at work on locking clean energy breakthroughs to drive down the cost of technologies that will require us to achieve net zero emissions and working with the private sector on the next generation of technologies that will power clean economy of the future.

When Joe talks about investing in communities and developing new energy technologies and creating new jobs, I don't think he means making new and massive grants to basic research or creating a climate WPA, and unless we're about to start nationalizing the grid companies it sounds like he means subsidizing and incentivizing private companies, which seems like market solutions to me.

Valentin has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Nov 1, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

The rich and powerful realizing that the collapse of the biosphere gives them the perfect excuse to deliberately turn the world into a draconian neo-feudal nightmare, rather than this process being the natural evolution of events, is absolutely the immediate future we're headed for OP.

For everything those really loud obnoxious right wingers are hilariously wrong about, they probably aren't wrong about that "great reset" thing. Broken clock etc etc etc.

we're absolutely are and continuingly to go there. central banking policy (of both EU and Federal Reserve) of dumping infinite trillions into hands of rich and elite corporations to buy up equities and housing stock to return them into rentals to wring out the plebs while essentially offer muh housing prices parachute handout to the landed gentry; eroding labor and reworking of labor-as-a-service selling it "you can work at your own time!!!" for a bunch of gig poo poo that's increasingly swarming into various fields that isn't just taxi/food delivery; reworking consmption as-a-live-service for a nice excel sheet profit forecast; consumer goods and poo poo designed to just pile up in landfills and be replaced by the latest model forcing older ones to stop working or just designed to fail after 2-years on the dime.

completely backed by various media outlets with or without woke vox branding about how it's actually good and do you actually need ____?

it's not anything new, the neoliberal world order has been driving that route for years.

that said, the "great reset" branding wasn't for you for or me; and nobody watches that poo poo anyways and they got unlucky enough to get caught being a little too creepy towards consumers which is why they had to work super hard to scrub it (it's even still hard to find!). it's like the western version of saudi vision 2030 and is a way to convince potential investors that you do indeed have a plan are in no way panicking about impending capitoconsumption collapse that we can all see coming it's target audience were other rich people who want to hear "you'll own everything". it's in part marketing term to fleece the dumber parts of the investor class while there's money in the banana stand before it gets blown away in a hypercane.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Why give up meat or driving or travel when

* it's not going to make a difference
* doing so aligns with the goals of the cabal

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i wonder if this conference is going to end up being the thing that killed David Attenborough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2A07ToxkTI

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
haven't looked at this thread in a while and haven't paid any attention to the Very Serious climate change conferences stuff going on right now, but i assume everything's been fixed?

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

you didn't see it because you lack basic reading comprehension, dum dum

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

haven't looked at this thread in a while and haven't paid any attention to the Very Serious climate change conferences stuff going on right now, but i assume everything's been fixed?

not yet, but if we give a few more tax breaks + grants to exxon and chevron we should have it licked soon

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Valentin posted:

Not even remotely?

When Joe talks about investing in communities and developing new energy technologies and creating new jobs, I don't think he means making new and massive grants to basic research or creating a climate WPA, and unless we're about to start nationalizing the grid companies it sounds like he means subsidizing and incentivizing private companies, which seems like market solutions to me.

i think that's fair

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/ninalakhani/status/1455188469400195082

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

stellers bae posted:

I could roll coal 24/7 in an attempt to hurt the billionaires, but like everything else, it's just going to hurt poor people more.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

hmmph

i've cut down to checking this thread once every 250 posts or so, but maybe i should go further to once in every 500 or 1000 posts

or maybe add a daily event to my calendar that just says "DOOOOOM!" instead

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Car Hater posted:

The constant brrrrrrrr sound of wheels on pavement is the replacement for the sounds of living things

i live right next a freeway, it's loud as gently caress

but after a few weeks i got used to it and now the constant freeway roar occupies the same space in my brain as wind, or a rushing river. Couldn't sleep with the windows open at first, but now it's no problem

mmmm particulates

if u cant beat the microplastics, join them. it is inevitable :skeltal:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Long live the new flesh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

stellers bae posted:

Why give up meat

mostly because americana mega-meat is just absolutely disgusting and rancid these days. i stopped eating meat just because it's gross and bad, not necessarily for climate reasons. i'll still eat some local boutique meat once or twice a year but mostly not.

also it's gotten expensive but not expensive enough because it's still massively subsidized by billions to corn n alfalfa mega-ag farmers and smithfield/hormel mega-handouts with dereging giant dams of pig poo poo and tossing it onto the publics back.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Therapods had feathers! This is something we've known for 30 loving years now and yet still almost every single time someone makes a CGI therapod it looks like this piece of poo poo. We owe our children a future where the truth about dinosaurs isn't obscured just so that things look "familiar" to your average American dipshit.

It makes me so mad.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

stellers bae posted:

Eating meat all the time and car travel are bad for your health.

Also a great reason to keep enjoying those things, depends on your goals I guess.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Therapods had feathers! This is something we've known for 30 loving years now and yet still almost every single time someone makes a CGI therapod it looks like this piece of poo poo. We owe our children a future where the truth about dinosaurs isn't obscured just so that things look "familiar" to your average American dipshit.

It makes me so mad.

man if that makes you angry wait until you hear about something we've known for 100+ years and what we did about it

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
no

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Long live the new flesh

i remember seeing a video of a guy harvesting like, platinum and poo poo, from the dust on the side of the freeway, that flies out of every car that ever moves

i wonder how much of that is in my lungs lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

The Protagonist posted:

man if that makes you angry wait until you hear about something we've known for 100+ years and what we did about it

Torpor posted:

wait until you find out about the climate!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Rah! posted:

i remember seeing a video of a guy harvesting like, platinum and poo poo, from the dust on the side of the freeway, that flies out of every car that ever moves

I think it causes more damage than that, including brain damage.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The Protagonist posted:

Yeah yeah whatever we're doomed who cares. We can't do anything about that now. We can, however, put feathers on pictures of therapods in the remaining decades between now and oblivion.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
thinking about chaining myself to some trees in a couple months

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Rah! posted:

that means you're rich. rich!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Torpor posted:

I think it causes more damage than that, including brain damage.

true, i am on SA

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

that means you're rich. rich!

are kids with platinum in their blood more valuable or less valuable to peter thiel

i dunno if the platinum affects the anti-aging properties or what

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rah! posted:

are kids with platinum in their blood more valuable or less valuable to peter thiel

i dunno if the platinum affects the anti-aging properties or what

People pay obscene amounts of money for food with gold leaf, no reason they wouldn't pay for blood with all natural platinum infusion for like skin health of whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
RE: Road dust.

IIRC anyone who spends any significant amount of time driving or lives within 200m (200f?) of a busy roadway is inhaling a dangerous amount of particulates from tyres and roads - Not to mention car exhaust.

I don't have time to read this but a quick skim it looks like it collates some of the studies done on it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK361807/