Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

peanut posted:

Lol I am searching flights to visit the US in January, and my biggest restriction is that Japan requires a 2 week quarantine on arrival. You can quarantine at home, but you can't take public transportation (buses, trains, connecting flights, normal taxis) You must arrange for your own car, rental car, or private transportation service.

We live in Shikoku so these are my problems: ① No connecting flights allowed ② No international flights to Shikoku airports right now ③ Stupid few international flights to KIX right now ④ Arriving in Tokyo would require 2 weeks in Tokyo with kids or a $900 one-way rental car with no bathroom breaks.

I think all I can do right now is wait until November/December and hope Taiwan starts allowing transit flights again, or Korean Air increases their flights from KIX.

Sup. Kyushu here and we are in the same situation but for Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

peanut posted:

① ② ③ ④

I don’t know how to say this without sounding like a tremendous dork who’s slavishly drooling over everything related to glorious nippon, but this is the most Japanese document thing and I am loving it. It has the feel of every official PDF I’ve read or filled out in interactions with any Japanese entity and just kind of flooded me with a bunch of positive vibes that I’ll be doing that at some point in the future again.

Sorry about the circumstances, though :(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japanese keyboard input is awesome because I can type things and suggestions will pop up in the kanji list like
12 ①②⑫
c ©
n ñ
みくろ μ
m2 ㎡
ど ℃
ほし ☆彡
たいよう ☀

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Have you tried typing かおもじ?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

peanut posted:

n ñ

えっと......

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

(。>﹏<。)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

peanut posted:

Lol I am searching flights to visit the US in January, and my biggest restriction is that Japan requires a 2 week quarantine on arrival. You can quarantine at home, but you can't take public transportation (buses, trains, connecting flights, normal taxis) You must arrange for your own car, rental car, or private transportation service.

We live in Shikoku so these are my problems: ① No connecting flights allowed ② No international flights to Shikoku airports right now ③ Stupid few international flights to KIX right now ④ Arriving in Tokyo would require 2 weeks in Tokyo with kids or a $900 one-way rental car with no bathroom breaks.

I think all I can do right now is wait until November/December and hope Taiwan starts allowing transit flights again, or Korean Air increases their flights from KIX.

yeah this rule is a huge pain. im going back in december (got a spouse temp visa) and will be staying in tokyo but even then its annoying. i have a license but i almost never drive in cities so i dont think ill take a rental car. there are special shuttle buses but they only go at certain times

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

He made it 3 kilometers further than that the goon with the wagon did.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/dqnplus/archives/2011460.html

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

peanut posted:

Japanese keyboard input is awesome because I can type things and suggestions will pop up in the kanji list like

It's super handy for me too because instead of having to remember whatever alt codes go with which Greek letters, I can just switch to Japanese input.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I suddenly remembered the time I was going to see Oosaki Hachimanguu in Sendai and the workers replacing the cobblestones said ohayou gozaimasu as I walked past, I really want to go to Japan and just wander around again :(

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

peanut posted:

Dang, this bummed me out because I though this meant that the travel ban policy had changed for tourists.

I was all prepped to fly straight into Takamatsu (sup Shikoku goon) to visit my brother when the pandemic broke out and have been anxiously awaiting when things will open back up again for me to finish that planned trip.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe tourism policy will change after tomorrow, but I haven't seen any real indication that Kishida is in a hurry to relax travel restrictions. Nevermind international students who would otherwise be able to get their visas, there still is NOTHING regarding student visas resuming. Tourists are going to be on the absolute bottom of the priority list so I wouldn't really expect anything concrete to be announced before the year is done.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also gotta remember that Japan wants those sweet tourist yen, but the vast majority of that money is coming from Chinese, and China has not loosened travel restrictions one bit and given zero indication they plan to do so anytime soon. I don't know that China's decisions about leisure travel are going to dictate Japan's, but I'd bet they're a factor.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

China has to finish the winter olympics first

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

Sup. Kyushu here and we are in the same situation but for Canada.

Asiana has flights KIX-ICN-SFO

But it looks like FUK is still fuked

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

peanut posted:

Asiana has flights KIX-ICN-SFO

But it looks like FUK is still fuked

Yeah I wouldn’t want to do the milk run like that with a toddler. Just hoping my grandmother sticks around a while longer so she can meet my kid, otherwise not in a rush.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

He made it 3 kilometers further than that the goon with the wagon did.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/dqnplus/archives/2011460.html

lmao wtf

Another reminder I gotta put together the videos from when my friend and I walked most of the way from Tokyo, up Fuji, and back. Finally got that poo poo out of my phone and can use editing software now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/MishimaKitan/status/1454618527747350529?s=20

what does the japanese lyrics say?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

The karaoke one: “I hate you and I’m so drat tired”

There are so many of these “unassuming/low effort Halloween costumes the hashtag is great.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think the best translation is “ordinary,” because not all of these are low effort.

https://twitter.com/makeourgardengr/status/1451901543230312450

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
No tourism yet, unsurprisingly, but could at least be good for students and business travelers
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japan-to-ease-entry-for-businesspeople-students-but-not-tourists

Nikkei posted:

TOKYO -- Japan looks to let foreigners visit the country for short business trips, study abroad and technical training in an easing of its strict coronavirus-related entry rules, Nikkei has learned.

Tourists are not included in this round. The government is expected to announce the policy changes as early as this week, with implementation to begin this month.

With new COVID-19 cases down substantially from record levels over the summer, Japan aims to gradually loosen a de facto entry ban on foreigners that has become a source of growing frustration among businesses. Top corporate lobby Keidanren has been among the advocates of a more flexible approach.

The quarantine requirement for short-term business travelers will be cut to as little as three days for vaccinated visitors, from 10 days now. Companies and organizations receiving foreign nationals will be required to monitor their activities.

The shorter quarantine requirement will also apply to Japanese nationals returning from business trips abroad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m not booking a flight to the States yet but this is a good step. Three days is much more palatable.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Well, as long as there's no further covid curveballs, there's a good chance next year at least I will be able to teach all of my classes in person instead of this annoying hybrid of face-to-face, asynchronous video, and Zoom.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bofast posted:

No tourism yet, unsurprisingly, but could at least be good for students and business travelers
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japan-to-ease-entry-for-businesspeople-students-but-not-tourists

Yea, we received an email inviting us to come and do hospital visits/collaborations as we did pre-covid. They limited our group to 5 people but that's more than I thought we'd have by now.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If someone goes to Hiroshima in February and there were a few very cold days in a row, is there anywhere to go that's the equivalent of a park, somewhere to just sit and study but inside?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

These things are called libraries, museum lobbies, and coffee shops.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I was gonna say Starbucks but thought I might come off sarcastic.
Unless there’s a cool public library with wifi (haven’t been to Hiroshima in years) then just go to Starbucks.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
No one suggested Mr Donut? shameful

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Weatherman posted:

No one suggested Mr Donut? shameful

I was about to go with Family Mart.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

I was about to go with Family Mart.

Seats in conbini?

Tell me you're from the inaka without telling me you're from the inaka

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

LimburgLimbo posted:

Seats in conbini?

Tell me you're from the inaka without telling me you're from the inaka

i'll have you know there are several combini with seating between shinjuku and harajuku on or just off of meiji-doori

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
They not only exist, but aren't even *that* uncommon, they're just not so common that you'd give them as a general suggestion of where to take a breather

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I'll admit it's a bit more than I thought though, there's a website dedicated to this:

https://convenieatin.com/

Family Mart you can check via their store search:
https://as.chizumaru.com/famima/top?account=famima&accmd=0&c2=1

In Shinjuku for example 1/3rd of FM store have eat-in spaces. Some of those probably quite small (just a small counter or a couple tables) but they are there.

Edit: actually looks like even in smaller prefectures it maxes out around 1/2 or of FM having eat in spaces. Can't be arsed to check specifically in places with less pop density among those prefectures though.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 4, 2021

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

the worst spelling of this yet

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cumbenny.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:mods:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MiqPQ1dVg4

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Conbini wifi can be pretty spotty though? Guess I haven’t tried it in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know about where you guys live, but my local libraries are extremely salty about people studying/working there, and they do everything they can to prevent it, up to and including asking people to move/leave if they've been sitting at a table too long. You're not allowed to bring anything in other than your library card and 1 piece of paper/pencil (no notebooks!). They won't even let you bring in a bag to put your books in; you have to put them in shopping baskets and then transfer them to your bag out in the hallway in front of the lockers. I have no idea if they have wifi but I don't know who they allow to stay there long enough to use it.

There are some "free study" areas here and there, but they aren't really advertised as such. Usually lobby areas of large public buildings or city property. McDonald's is also a popular choice.