Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ad by Khad posted:

like imagine that stupid bloomberg article about mariokart except you have to pay crypto for fuel and maintenance on your kart or else you cant play

this is the future that coiners want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

punishedkissinger posted:

it's not dumb to be upset by this. it's naked greed and nothing more. it sucks to see people buying into a pyramid scheme which will greatly exacerbate global warming and leave a shitload of people with nothing. anyone knowingly participating in that is a huge piece of poo poo unfortunately.

can you even imagine being this kind of rear end in a top hat?

It'd be one thing if these dickheads would be using solar energy or some sort of renewables to generate their crypto crap (albeit wasteful but the bar is so low for humanity I'd count it as a win), but we all know these assholes are buying the cheapest forms of energy they can meaning they're just sucking down the kWh from their local electrical provider, which is more than likely coal.

So they're killing the environment for digital pogs that claim they own a picture of Sonic the Hedgehog's rancid feet while a smarter sonic sex fetishist just hits the "PRNT SCN" button and beats off to the same image for free.

I swear to God, aliens/cockroaches that outlast humanity, if you manage to read this make sure to burn any remnants of humanity from the universe because we're the loving worst thing that Chaos Theory ever shat out.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

funeral home DJ posted:

It'd be one thing if these dickheads would be using solar energy or some sort of renewables to generate their crypto crap (albeit wasteful but the bar is so low for humanity I'd count it as a win), but we all know these assholes are buying the cheapest forms of energy they can meaning they're just sucking down the kWh from their local electrical provider, which is more than likely coal.

So they're killing the environment for digital pogs that claim they own a picture of Sonic the Hedgehog's rancid feet while a smarter sonic sex fetishist just hits the "PRNT SCN" button and beats off to the same image for free.

I swear to God, aliens/cockroaches that outlast humanity, if you manage to read this make sure to burn any remnants of humanity from the universe because we're the loving worst thing that Chaos Theory ever shat out.

It wouldn’t be OK if they used renewable energy — that would just mean somebody else had to use the dirty kind.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Since the crypto scam is becoming more mainstream, is now a good time to get on the pyramid before all the normies and make some pretend money?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

keep punching joe posted:

Since the crypto scam is becoming more mainstream, is now a good time to get on the pyramid before all the normies and make some pretend money?

the normies are all in on it now. don't do it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

the normies are all in on it now. don't do it.

What, and end up being at the base of the pyramid when you join later on? Better to get in asap and get rich!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If you've already heard of a given get-rich-quick scheme, then you missed the boat for it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Squidcoin literally lasted three days before they hosed off with the money, and the name alone was like one of those fly-by-night smartphone games that hastily throws together a fake ad based on whatever the current hot gameplay trend is. We are like one degree from someone just making ScamCoin™ - We Are Going To Steal All Of Your Money, followed by ScamCoin 2, ScamCoin 3, etc. all launched one day after another.

We are fully into cult status where people are openly scamming the true believers, who are boasting about their riches while proudly turning out their empty pockets.

Getting into crypto now, gently caress me. Go blow it on the horses or something, I dunno.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I wonder if they could have scammed so much more money considering all that uncritical press they got

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Zopotantor posted:

this is the future that coiners want

its what a lot of the same idiots wanted in second life, so i believe it

sorry zuck, the metaverse is drat near 20 years old

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

funeral home DJ posted:

Aliens probably introduced cryptocurrency to us. It's that advanced.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
If satoshi is aliens then aliens control over a million btc and can destroy that poo poo whenever they want

Keep Mining For Big Alien

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ghosTTy posted:

Aliens probably introduced cryptocurrency to us. It's that advanced.

Idea for Sci - fi: aliens maliciously introduce crypto-currency to humanity with the aim of using human greed to terra-form the planet into a breathable atmosphere for them.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

This is definitely a dumb thing to complain about and maybe I'm an old man yelling at clouds, but I'm so loving upset about how some of my favourite content creators are slowly but surely being lured into the crypto poo poo. The one I'm most disappointed by is Phil DeFranco because he's now shilling some Bitcoin BS as he also reports on climate destruction. It just sucks.

You are not an old man yelling at the clouds.

Philip DeFranco is directly contributing to the financial ruin of potentially hundreds of thousands of people because they trust him.

Stable coins are backed by nothing and the entire crypto space is literally a Ponzi scheme that cannot pay out what it claims it can.

If cash ever becomes scarce at an exchange you’re going to see the true value of cryptocurrency: nothing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Alan Smithee posted:

I wonder if they could have scammed so much more money considering all that uncritical press they got

I hope it all went into funding an orphanage.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Idea for Sci - fi: aliens maliciously introduce crypto-currency to humanity with the aim of using human greed to terra-form the planet into a breathable atmosphere for them.

Checks out. Why spend all the effort of conquering a planet when you can get the native inhabitants to kill themselves for you.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Stable coins are backed by nothing and the entire crypto space is literally a Ponzi scheme that cannot pay out what it claims it can.

A ponzi scheme requires new people to join in order to increase the cash pool and keep the scheme going. Crypto goes further than that, by allowing blatantly illegal behavior like cash forgery or even stuff as simple as buying your own NFTs for a highly inflated price in order to drive prices upwards and generate media buzz.

It's great, really.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Haha I didn't even realise that squid scam blew up in value because people weren't allowed to resell their fake coins on. They wouldn't have been able to cash out even if they wanted to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There was a scifi novel I read where an alien introduced a viral economic idea and it collapses the interplanetary economy. I read it before Bitcoin but it definitely resonates.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Random Stranger posted:

There was a scifi novel I read where an alien introduced a viral economic idea and it collapses the interplanetary economy. I read it before Bitcoin but it definitely resonates.

Accelerando by Charles Stross
It's free online under a CC BY-NC-ND license

vortmax fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 2, 2021

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We are like one degree from someone just making ScamCoin™ - We Are Going To Steal All Of Your Money, followed by ScamCoin 2, ScamCoin 3, etc. all launched one day after another.

Friend, I have some bad news for you.

That article posted:

"I made this as a joke, no one told you to buy this sh*t, it's called SCAM you stupid motherf***er," said the blogger.

Dre created SCAM without knowing "how to do none of this" because it was meant "as a joke," he said to Vice.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
jesus christ
https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1455552756438159360?s=20

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Activision/Blizzard releases new cryptocurrency

Does anybody have that cosbycoin/fart gas tracker where bitcoin transactions are recording as either cosby talking about pudding pops or as farting sounds as the values float up past the screen

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

salt shakeup posted:

Hope ya'll are buying some NFTs, unless you like being poor, lol.

I had someone irl ask me if I was into crypto and NFTs. I must have replied in a breathy sigh that told him I thought they were stupid and his response was “oh, what? You like making returns at 5% a year?”

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

can't wait for the law and order episode where a sex trafficking ring sells prostitutes via NFTs

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Roger Zelazny wrote that book already.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mans posted:

can't wait for the law and order episode where a sex trafficking ring sells prostitutes via NFTs

Nah it'll be a serial killer that makes and sells NFTs out of his victims' crime scene photos and Ice-T will be able to judgementally quip about how sick people are.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

People don't care about if crypto is stupid, or how to the tech works, or if it will make the world a better place (it wont). All people care about is if the magic internet money will go up in value and make them rich.

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 2, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Stealthgerbil posted:

People don't care about if crypto is stupid, or how to the tech works, or if it will make the world a better place (it wont to all three). All people care about is if the magic internet money will go up in value and make them rich.

it won’t either

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/peeweeherman/status/1455564405949624320

Remember 15 years ago when every brand was scrambling to carve out their own space in Second Life? :allears:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

it won’t either

yeah but as long as the number goes up fast enough and regulators don't meaningfully intervene, they'll keep putting more money into it and never really try to take any out. they'll be content to watch the numbers rise on paper, even as they cash out all their other investments to put them into crypto too so they can make the numbers rise fastest

when mass-market Ponzi schemes and other such financial frauds are allowed to operate openly like this, it tends to get pretty bad because people assume it must be at least somewhat legit if authorities aren't really trying to stop it

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Doggles posted:

Remember 15 years ago when every brand was scrambling to carve out their own space in Second Life? :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4XskfT6vNY

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 2, 2021

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ghosTTy posted:

I have 25% of my net worth invested in nft art/nft games. Mostly in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYQoDKO62Y

NFTs are the future.

i can buy a game with much better graphics and sound, that is more fun, is actually finished and been tested for bugs by someone who's not me, for like 0.01% of my net worth or less

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Juul-Whip posted:

i can buy a game with much better graphics and sound, that is more fun, is actually finished and been tested for bugs by someone who's not me, for like 0.01% of my net worth or less
Well is your goal to play a video game or is it to be able to posture at people in a thread that you are the richest and best ape? Which of these is going to be more fulfilling?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/ClarasPregs/status/1455293303222583298

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Put a carbon tax on all things crypto, like right now. Mint an NFT? Pay the carbon tax. Buy shitcoins? Pay the carbon tax. Institute it like a sales tax at a fixed rate against dollar value. Force the musical chairs scam to do at least one semi-positive thing for society.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Put a carbon tax on all things crypto, like right now. Mint an NFT? Pay the carbon tax. Buy shitcoins? Pay the carbon tax. Institute it like a sales tax at a fixed rate against dollar value. Force the musical chairs scam to do at least one semi-positive thing for society.

They're dodging all the other taxes anyway, what's one more?

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

FogHelmut posted:

Everyone I know thinks it's stupid. They either think it's stupid and make fun of it, or they think it's stupid but wonder how they can make some quick cash off of it.

This is the correct attitude. Crypto is sort of stupid and NFTs are immensely stupid but who cares. Make money off it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Huskalator posted:

This is the correct attitude. Crypto is sort of stupid and NFTs are immensely stupid but who cares. Make money off it.

yeah who cares if burning these drums of gasoline in the street has any negative effects

get paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

yeah who cares if burning these drums of gasoline in the street has any negative effects

get paid

word