Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

lil poopendorfer posted:

They do that anyways

Voting for leftist candidates, regardless of their chances to win is the only way to push Democrats left. Your vote is the only leverage you have. Always voting for the Democrat bc they're the lesser of two evils gives them zero reason to legislate to you
That's only true if you ignore the primary process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

lil poopendorfer posted:

They do that anyways

Voting for leftist candidates, regardless of their chances to win is the only way to push Democrats left. Your vote is the only leverage you have. Always voting for the Democrat bc they're the lesser of two evils gives them zero reason to legislate to you

I do get this sentiment, but man, the mainstream Democrats have done such great things in VA over the last few years.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Fucker posted:

Pretty good argument. Unless someone comes up with a better counter-argument, I'm gonna have to concur.

I would say "being a boring retread" and "being the same party as the president while there's a global supply chain crisis and a pandemic" and "giving a bad debate answer about schools" all count considerably more than whatever the VA legislature did or didn't do over the last few years.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

Does the GOP give libertarians as much poo poo? I feel like libertarians cost republicans elections all the time.

While it is a bit besides the point being argued, I do think it should be noted that the libertarian party usually gets more votes than most third party candidates.

So anyone who says that voting for a leftist third party is just giving votes to the gop, should really be doing the same math when it comes to the other way around and well hey look at that I guess the dem candidate got more votes in that equation.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

IMHO Dems should encourage protest voting more enthusiastically because conservative independents voting libertarian has been by far more damaging to the GOP than commies voting for commies has to the Dems. Instead of fussing about the disloyalty of Lee Carter types or whatever who they are otherwise at war with, they should be boosting the Libertarian party candidate with peripheral orgs or arranging for one to run if the spot on the ballot is empty. The simple fact is that progressives hold their nose more reliably than any other ideology and every time I hear it coming up again I just file it away as another fundraising scare tactic like those terrible emails.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nucleic Acids posted:

Pretty sure the Democrats will punch left no matter how the election goes today.

Interesting, I'm seeing a lot of fake leftists on various social media sites punching a guy who actually did poo poo like individually pardoning thousands of people hand because a judge prevented him from doing it in one fell swoop.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Interesting, I'm seeing a lot of fake leftists on various social media sites punching a guy who actually did poo poo like individually pardoning thousands of people hand because a judge prevented him from doing it in one fell swoop.

Oh okay, that makes him entitled to the election.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There were a bunch of people blaming Trump's 2020 loss on Libertarian voters just like there were a bunch of people blaming his 2016 win on Green Party candidates.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willa Rogers posted:

The proper response is to never speak to them again nor grace them with your presence for the holidays. Granny won't learn to vote Dem till she can't pinch your cheeks ever again.

Which "fox poll"? The Fox News poll that showed Youngkin ahead by 8 last week, or another one? Because the last I saw Dems were outvoting by 2-1 in the early vote.

What's funny is that they fled TEXAS because of the "neighbors", to come to Virginia, which lead them to now go to Cuba and live in Guantanamo Bay Naval Station.

The irony of having to go to Cuba to find Conservative life. . .

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
There are at most a few thousand votes represented by people reading this forum, and I'm pretty sure most of them are not in swing states. Whatever you believe in regarding what's the morally correct vote, please talk about it on twitter or something where someone might actually read it, for gently caress's sake. It's not any of the opinions here that bother me, it's the egregious failure of efficiency in promoting whatever voting behavior you think is good.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Why did VA politics shift again? Could it have been all the people who ran for and won votes on good policy either winning seats outright or sufficient votes as to effectively pressure established politicians to adopt good policy? No, that doesn't sound right. It must be because people just voted blue no matter who hard enough.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Epinephrine posted:

That's only true if you ignore the primary process.

One of the stories I read about the Virginia race the other day was how three (two?) Black women ran against T-Mac in the primary & were shut out, and how this might have the effect of depressing the usually reliably Dem vote.

And yes, both the GOP & the Dems are running Black women for Lt. Gov.

Is Virginia one of those states in which the top of the ticket runs separately, and can result in the split taking office? (ie: GOP governor + Dem lt. gov. or vice versa)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Why did VA politics shift again? Could it have been all the people who ran for and won votes on good policy either winning seats outright or sufficient votes as to effectively pressure established politicians to adopt good policy? No, that doesn't sound right. It must be because people just voted blue no matter who hard enough.

I mean, McAuliffe circa 2013 was one of the most boring Clintonites you could possibly imagine, and became a very good and popular governor, and then you have Northam, who had a relatively conservative background and some racist skeletons in his closet, who was also successful at implementing some good policy. At least a blue-no-matter-who gives you a chance at progressive legislation, and any Democratic governor will probably mostly follow the lead of a Democratic legislature.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ Genuinely happy to see you here, VS. Please try to keep pedantic fine-grain debate exchanges to fifteen posts or less :v:

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 2, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

I would love to know when that has happened.

Jo Jorgensen got more votes than Biden's margin over Trump in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, and Wisconsin which is enough to overturn the election and led to some hilarious handwringing from the worst people ever.

But this presumes that everyone who voted Libertarian "owed" Trump their votes instead which is a dubious assumption.

E: to save mod time and posters' report button fingers, FoS sent me a PM last week saying my USNews threadban would not carry over to US Current Events

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Jo Jorgensen got more votes than Biden's margin over Trump in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, and Wisconsin which is enough to overturn the election and led to some hilarious handwringing from the worst people ever.

But this presumes that everyone who voted Libertarian "owed" Trump their votes instead which is a dubious assumption.

E: to save mod time and posters' report button fingers, FoS sent me a PM last week saying my USNews threadban would not carry over to US Current Events

Democrats spent 4 5 years whining about Jill Stein for exactly the same dubious reason, so its interesting that the GOP seems to have already let it go in favor of other, more insane theories whereas the dems kept staying mad about Stein *and* Russia

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

IMHO Dems should encourage protest voting more enthusiastically because conservative independents voting libertarian has been by far more damaging to the GOP than commies voting for commies has to the Dems. Instead of fussing about the disloyalty of Lee Carter types or whatever who they are otherwise at war with, they should be boosting the Libertarian party candidate with peripheral orgs or arranging for one to run if the spot on the ballot is empty. The simple fact is that progressives hold their nose more reliably than any other ideology and every time I hear it coming up again I just file it away as another fundraising scare tactic like those terrible emails.
Both the GOP and the Dems do this in various ways, with varying degrees of effectiveness. McCaskill pulled something like that off successfully during the 2012 GOP primary by running ads about how dangerously far-right Todd Akin was. Akin won his primary and lost to McCaskill by 15 points because, of course, he was a far-right shithead who gave us the line "legitimate rape." There have been a couple attempts to repeat this iirc. Most recently, Jamie Harrison, running against Linsday Graham, ran ads of the same kind against the right-wing Constitution candidate. The Constitution candidate got 1.3% of the vote (even though he dropped out and endorsed Graham) and Graham won by 10 points. On the other side, the GOP and Republican donors give legal and financial support to the Green party, and in 2020 tried to help Kanye West (still loling at this one) in the same way.

Epinephrine fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 2, 2021

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

What exactly makes someone a fake leftist? Are you suggesting they're undercover conservative operatives

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

I mean, McAuliffe circa 2013 was one of the most boring Clintonites you could possibly imagine, and became a very good and popular governor, and then you have Northam, who had a relatively conservative background and some racist skeletons in his closet, who was also successful at implementing some good policy.

I am arguing that this change in behavior, did not erupt from the goodness of McAuliffe's heart and some come-to-Jesus moment, but a direct cause of people voting for candidates with good policy (that we were constantly being scolded for the entire loving way)

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

What exactly makes someone a fake leftist? Are you suggesting they're undercover conservative operatives

Sounds like "don't let perfect be the enemy of good", i.e. these so called "Leftists" or what have you can spout online all they want about a good Leftist candidate, but haven't gotten the results the Democrats have in Virginia.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

AhhYes posted:

I do get this sentiment, but man, the mainstream Democrats have done such great things in VA over the last few years.

I live in VA and all I can think of is... the world's slowest legal weed rollout?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

camoseven posted:

I live in VA and all I can think of is... the world's slowest legal weed rollout?

There have been police and criminal justice reform efforts that have gotten signed into law.

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/10/28/gov-northam-signs-laws-advancing-police-criminal-justice-reform-virginia/

I will leave it to you as to whether they are truly sufficient, but these are the kinds of laws that would not have been entertained at all if the GOP was in charge of Virginia.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Scratch a parent and a fascist bleeds.

Sometimes. My wife’s an elementary school nurse, and there’s definitely a contingent of morons who complain about masks, complain when their kid is sent home with a fever, then complain when they test positive and have to stay home for ten days. There’s also the hamster-ball overprotective parent who shows up demanding to know who the latest second grade case is, because they “just know” it was this other kid whose parent they hate, and they walked back from school together two Tuesdays ago. Lady, you know we can’t give out names, and if little Zelda qualified as a close contact, we’d tell you. Go ahead and lawyer up.

She really loves the day-to-day interaction with kids and helping to keep them healthy and safe. The idiot parents of all flavors, equally idiotic school board, and constantly changing State guidance is going to drive her out, eventually.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I just mean the sort of people who shout angry garbage online, make insane demands and poo poo on those who do the hard work of improving things on the ground. Occasionally grifters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mellow Seas posted:

This is why we have to invent the concept of "half votes," emulating the "games behind" statistic used in sports standings!

You see there are actually three steps to a vote, but first we need to talk about parallel universes

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The real electoral grifters are the consultants & ad firms, not angry leftists, lol.

I think the total amount raised by both Virginia candidates was over $100 million. That McAuliffe's consultants convinced him to spend some of that on ads proclaiming What I Really Said About Schools shows just how bad the grifting goes.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is there a Virginia election thread? I didn't see a specific one for it in D&D.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Is there a Virginia election thread? I didn't see a specific one for it in D&D.

I can start one up or you can, but yeah that's gonna be a big conversation.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Eric Cantonese posted:

There have been police and criminal justice reform efforts that have gotten signed into law.

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/10/28/gov-northam-signs-laws-advancing-police-criminal-justice-reform-virginia/

I will leave it to you as to whether they are truly sufficient, but these are the kinds of laws that would not have been entertained at all if the GOP was in charge of Virginia.

There have also been positive laws passed for reproductive rights and removal of TRAP laws that restricted abortion services. As the partner of an abortionist, these are important to me. This election has us nervous. Especially as VA’s Clinics have been gearing up for a post-Roe US.

Anecdotally, I have never seen this amount of enthusiasm for a statewide election. All of my coworkers have been talking about it and local news has been covering it non-stop today.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Eric Cantonese posted:

Also this year Delegate Danica Roem introduced and passed legislation barring the gay/trans panic defense from being used in court

quote:

Homicides and assaults and bodily woundings; certain matters not to constitute defenses. Provides that the discovery of, perception of, or belief about another person's actual or perceived sex, gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation, whether or not accurate, is not a defense to any charge of capital murder, murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, voluntary manslaughter, or assault and bodily wounding-related crimes and is not provocation negating or excluding malice as an element of murder. Homicides and assaults and bodily woundings; certain matters not to constitute defenses. Provides that the discovery of, perception of, or belief about another person's actual or perceived sex, gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation, whether or not accurate, is not a defense to any charge of capital murder, murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, voluntary manslaughter, or assault and bodily wounding-related crimes and is not provocation negating or excluding malice as an element of murder.
It's noteworthy that VA is one of the few states that's actually working to improve LGBT rights while dozens of states are pushing through think-of-the-children poo poo targeted at trans girls.

Also being the first southern state to abolish capital punishment. That seems pretty important.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VitalSigns posted:

Welcome (back) to the party, pal.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

AhhYes posted:

Yeah this is the weirdest state to pick this fight over, the turnaround there has been amazing compared to almost anywhere else.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

I just mean the sort of people who shout angry garbage online, make insane demands and poo poo on those who do the hard work of improving things on the ground. Occasionally grifters.

Can you give any examples of insane demands made by the fake leftists

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah I don't get protest/third party votes in elections where it would actually matter. In VA both Governor and the entire state house are up for election. If Dems lose either one, you go from steady progress towards good things to literally nothing at all getting better. And since these days Republicans only need to win once to start cheating heavily to keep things in their favor, potentially setting the state back decades. When things like abortion and healthcare are directly on the line, it's way too risky.

And yeah, if the Dems can't squeak a win after a massive swing giving them the trifecta and passing a shitton of good legislation that's directly helped people, then maybe the lesson really is that implementing progressive policy just fucks you on elections.

I mean you can vote however you want, but if you post your vote online you invite discussion on it.

Edit: I voted against McAuliffe in the primary and don't like the dude at all, but I would much, much rather have him than Youngkin. Any day of the week.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 2, 2021

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
VA went from one of the most conservative state houses in the country to a middle of the road blue state pretty much overnight. Lots of things like sexual orientation as a protected category, a more responsive unemployment benefits program than Maryland, a lot of things like that. Even though democrats cynically exploit what happened in Charlottesville in 2017 I think that also would have played out much differently (worse) under a republican governor.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Are there any reports about Virginia voter turnout that I can wig out over?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Willa Rogers posted:

The proper response is to never speak to them again nor grace them with your presence for the holidays. Granny won't learn to vote Dem till she can't pinch your cheeks ever again.

Which "fox poll"? The Fox News poll that showed Youngkin ahead by 8 last week, or another one? Because the last I saw Dems were outvoting by 2-1 in the early vote.

fox poll last week. from what my friends say, it encouraged more dem early voters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When do they count mail-in ballots anyway? Mine said they accept them until Friday.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

fox poll last week. from what my friends say, it encouraged more dem early voters.

This happened in the Newsom recall as well. Articles came out about "oh the Republican might win" and it spurred dem turnout.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Eric Cantonese posted:

Are there any reports about Virginia voter turnout that I can wig out over?

Early voting on Saturday was packed apparently. 45-minute waits at polls in Richmond with lines out the door like it was a presidential election.

I'm going this afternoon when the rain lets up. It's a good excuse to leave work early :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Virginia Election Thread is live: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983727