Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That thing the wol slices in half on the moon is the first boss you encounter in amaurot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Chillgamesh posted:

Speaking of Garleans and how they're magically mute, has it been hinted anywhere that the Garleans might have been bioengineered by the Allagans the same way the Ixal were? I feel like I've read this somewhere before

The only real hint towards this is the fact that the Garleans flat out don't exist on the first, when basically every other notable race except the Ixal do, and the Ixal are known as an Allagan genetic experiment. It's also just plain weird that one race in the world have no access to the Aether that literally everyone else can control.

The Garleans are bigger and stronger than most other species, they have better spatial awareness (the third eye) and no magic. It's a not impossible set of physical traits for the Allagan Empire who bioengineer servants/soldiers to have made them as a labour force. It also works into their claims of "succession" to the Allagan technology. Nael for example straight up claims to have connections to Allagan genetic lineage.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If the Garleans did exist on the First, they were probably bullied into a frozen shithole again and left to die during the flood.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If the Garleans did exist on the First, they were probably bullied into a frozen shithole again and left to die during the flood.

A comprehensive list of spoken races completely wiped out by the Flood of Light:
- Garleans
- Namazu

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Begemot posted:

A comprehensive list of spoken races completely wiped out by the Flood of Light:
- Garleans
- Namazu

Also the Wolfmen of Othard.
Ooh, and the Centaurs of Meracydia.

e: and as I think about it, quite a few more. Mamool Ja, Slyphs, Vanu, Bangaa, and on and on.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 2, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Vermain posted:

I think the implication is that he had the Echo, but that whatever the flaw was in the Garlean genome that made them unable to use magic prevented him from taking it further.

But wasn't there a line from Elidibus stating that Zenos had a "borrowed soul" when the two met in 5.0? Or was I just imagining it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wasn't that when Elidibus was in Zenos' body and Zenos was bodyhopping some random Elezen? He might have been referring to that whole mess

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/strawbapplbappl/status/1455229089099534346?s=21

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Returning player here. I just had a question about the Calamity. How is Eorzea still around? From what I remember Dalamud fell, Bahamut was released and destroyed the world, and Louisoux teleported a few warriors 5 years into the future. But when the game starts in ARR everything is fine. Everyone survived and all the cities are intact. I remember them saying there was a lot of damage and the climate changed, but everything seems pretty ok for only 5 years after the Apocalypse.

I've done some Google searching but aside from some theories all I could find was a lot of people saying, "Yeah, everyone got lucky and survived."

Travic fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 2, 2021

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

louisoux used the aether he got from summoning the primal phoenix into himself to speed up the land's healing process. everything's fine five years later due to literal rebirth powers

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bahamut would have destroyed the world, but Louisoix managed to limit the damage so that just a lot of people died and the aether of Eorzea was all hosed up. This has a lot of long lasting consequences that'll be explored in various ways as you progress the plot.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This is answered in the Coils of Bahamut but it is like a cartoon duck said. There's even a badass cinematic you can watch if you'd like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xOOFCltZuc

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh and FYI this thread is for spoilers up to current content. If you're cool with that no worries but questions like yours could be fielded by the main thread.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you want details, they can be found in the Coils of Bahamut raid. If you don't want to go through that (I recommend you do, it has its cool moments even unsynched) you can check out this dialogue from the 12th fight in the raid: https://i.imgur.com/FaMuaRn.jpg Linked because it's a long image.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

But wasn't there a line from Elidibus stating that Zenos had a "borrowed soul" when the two met in 5.0? Or was I just imagining it?

If he did, he's probably referring to the fact that a significant amount of Zenos' soul comes from the aether of others. As I recall, the Resonant process only needs a single person with the Echo to copy their aetheric pattern from, but you still need additional aether from other living people to make the process work.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Thanks for clearing that up everyone.

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh and FYI this thread is for spoilers up to current content. If you're cool with that no worries but questions like yours could be fielded by the main thread.

Got it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/VENTEAS_/status/1440330665258479618

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Vermain posted:

If he did, he's probably referring to the fact that a significant amount of Zenos' soul comes from the aether of others. As I recall, the Resonant process only needs a single person with the Echo to copy their aetheric pattern from, but you still need additional aether from other living people to make the process work.

yeah there's tons of body bags around the machine they legit just shove a ton of people's souls into it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like that's missing at least one additional sad town

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like that's missing at least one additional sad town

Yeah there's the town up top where you put together the mega Talos.

E: I like this person's update
https://twitter.com/___Azu/status/1440401508005081088?s=20

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I seem to recall someone mentioned that print media mentions some Garleans have very basic magical ability, it's just a functionally-no-magical-ability without help.

Although honestly, one wonders how they managed to do the Reaper thing. It makes sense that having a voidsent bonded to them allows them to access whatever critical senses they're lacking to manipulate ambient ether - it's also why logically Zenos being an Echo bearer lets him do the same, and it would explain those few Garleans who could use basic magic if they were also Echo bearers.

On a random note, given that voidsent aren't "actually" demons in a cosmic sense but are rather mutated mortals that have basically evolved into pseudo-demons, it makes their melodramatic card-carrying villainy posturing kind of hilarious. They're just being edgelords!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

I seem to recall someone mentioned that print media mentions some Garleans have very basic magical ability, it's just a functionally-no-magical-ability without help.

Although honestly, one wonders how they managed to do the Reaper thing. It makes sense that having a voidsent bonded to them allows them to access whatever critical senses they're lacking to manipulate ambient ether - it's also why logically Zenos being an Echo bearer lets him do the same, and it would explain those few Garleans who could use basic magic if they were also Echo bearers.

On a random note, given that voidsent aren't "actually" demons in a cosmic sense but are rather mutated mortals that have basically evolved into pseudo-demons, it makes their melodramatic card-carrying villainy posturing kind of hilarious. They're just being edgelords!

They're just as changed by the experience as the Sin Eaters imo, it's not just being edgelords it's an aetheric change that has likely crushed their original personalities. I wonder if the Cloud of Darkness will turn out to be a similar situation as Eden if we ever really explore how it came about.

Also the Voidsent thing is perhaps my one other potential bit of data for Garleans being somehow Allagan related, because we know Allag had a gigantic contract with the Void anyway. Also, in terms of very basic magical ability, it's notable that Zenos in his backstory thing with the mentor he learnt sword fighting from stabs himself with an aetheric crystal in his palm so he can do fancy magic stuff with his sword.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Gonna bring so many pigs to the Void, fix the place right up

Yo G'raha is it okay if we make the cloud of darkness a scion after we pig-laser her

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

They're just as changed by the experience as the Sin Eaters imo, it's not just being edgelords it's an aetheric change that has likely crushed their original personalities. I wonder if the Cloud of Darkness will turn out to be a similar situation as Eden if we ever really explore how it came about.

Oh sure, I get it, it's just funny to hear them posturing about cosmic power and the Hells and everything else when honestly they're just a bunch of jumped-up mortals like you with a headstart and a bad case of aetheric contamination.

Zomborgon posted:

Yo G'raha is it okay if we make the cloud of darkness a scion after we pig-laser her

I get the distinct impression the Cloud is more like an embodied phenomena or a particularly persistent eikon than a transformed mortal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zomborgon posted:

I deeply appreciate that the cure for tempering is centered around woobie-eyed flying piggies.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

The line is "That immortality should be within the reach of one with a borrowed Echo," so yes, at the very least Elidibus thought that Zenos didn't originally have the Echo.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

Oh sure, I get it, it's just funny to hear them posturing about cosmic power and the Hells and everything else when honestly they're just a bunch of jumped-up mortals like you with a headstart and a bad case of aetheric contamination.

I get the distinct impression the Cloud is more like an embodied phenomena or a particularly persistent eikon than a transformed mortal.

I mean, as I said I wonder if the Cloud isn't just Eden's deal but darkness. We know the Thirteenth got wrecked by Igerohym accidentally flooding it with darkness after being too strong for the local Warrior of Light equivalent to beat, and being turned into a Voidsent definitely appears to totally gently caress up your personality (Gridanian Manor Dungeon).

Plus whilst the majority of Voidsent appear to be Sineater style, we do know that darkness elementals can look like Voidsent too I'm pretty sure.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Important to remember that pig lasers only work on the early to mid stages of tempering. Once you're so far gone that you don't have your original body anymore, you're un-piglaserable.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean, as I said I wonder if the Cloud isn't just Eden's deal but darkness. We know the Thirteenth got wrecked by Igerohym accidentally flooding it with darkness after being too strong for the local Warrior of Light equivalent to beat, and being turned into a Voidsent definitely appears to totally gently caress up your personality (Gridanian Manor Dungeon).

Plus whilst the majority of Voidsent appear to be Sineater style, we do know that darkness elementals can look like Voidsent too I'm pretty sure.

Sure, it's just that Eden is, well, decidedly killable and the Cloud to all appearances isn't. The appearance of voidsent is kind of interesting given that (thanks to model recycling) most of them are ultimately cast the image of Terminus Beasts.

I kind of wonder, actually, if "Darkness" and "Light" as cosmic forces/distinct phenomena composed of mundane elements stem from the creation of Zodiark and Hydaelyn rather than being elemental laws of the universe.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Important to remember that pig lasers only work on the early to mid stages of tempering. Once you're so far gone that you don't have your original body anymore, you're un-piglaserable.

To be fair, it's entirely possible that you can pig-laser somebody and they just won't revert to their original body. The Allagan researcher's narration isn't entirely clear on whether he basically gave up because the victim would be too physically altered.

I mean we've got an example of individuals transformed by aetheric manipulation in Ishgardians who've drank dragon blood, who are not only in at least some cases capable of turning back to human form but also potentially retaining their sanity even after being physically altered, such as Marcelloix in the Firmament or Estinien himself. Given that dragons are basically aetheric beings in a tough scaly shell, there's some interesting implications even though dragons may not be manifesting the same laws of aether due to their foreign origins.

(After all, how different is an elder wyrm's "song" from Tempering of their brood, when you get right down to it?)

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 2, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

Sure, it's just that Eden is, well, decidedly killable and the Cloud to all appearances isn't. The appearance of voidsent is kind of interesting given that (thanks to model recycling) most of them are ultimately cast the image of Terminus Beasts.

I kind of wonder, actually, if "Darkness" and "Light" as cosmic forces/distinct phenomena composed of mundane elements stem from the creation of Zodiark and Hydaelyn rather than being elemental laws of the universe.

We killed the Ascian soul inside Eden, Eden itself is still there after the end of the raid series (the giant monster sineater body is actually part of the tree in the background of the empty post E12). Cloud of Darkness likely is reforming around some sort of core Ascian Soul if it's what I theorise.

Also the Thirteenth is even more hosed up than the First, it's straight up an entire world turned to darkness unusable for the purpose of the Ascians because it will no longer flow into the Source during a dark aligned calamity. The First is still usable. I imagine if the First had ended up fully stasis light everywhere empty Eden would potentially be harder to kill.

Plus it's outright said that Igerohym caused a flood of darkness by beating the Thirteenth's attempted hero, which is very close to the way Eden caused a flood of light. Furthermore Cloud of Darkness has to come from something, and it's relatively feminine (and Eden's raid series also makes it clear the Unsundered aren't against leaving sundered convocation members in dire situations and elevating a different shard of the same convocation member if needs be, Mitron outright expects that to be the case for themself).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 2, 2021

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Not a problem, it just means we gotta figure out a way to combine the porxie beams with the spell from the level 80 Scholar quest that can reverse physical transformations (which in turn was based off Ronkan magic from the First as well).

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

We killed the Ascian soul inside Eden, Eden itself is still there after the end of the raid series (the giant monster sineater body is actually part of the tree in the background of the empty post E12). Cloud of Darkness likely is reforming around some sort of core Ascian Soul if it's what I theorise.

Also the Thirteenth is even more hosed up than the First, it's straight up an entire world turned to darkness unusable for the purpose of the Ascians because it will no longer flow into the Source during a dark aligned calamity. The First is still usable. I imagine if the First had ended up fully stasis light everywhere empty Eden would potentially be harder to kill.

Eden is also...weird, period, given it acts as much like a vehicle as a person. I kinda see it a lot like a pearl - the original Ascian body is just sorta the original core encased in a gigantic accumulation of Light.

W.T. Fits posted:

Not a problem, it just means we gotta figure out a way to combine the porxie beams with the spell from the level 80 Scholar quest that can reverse physical transformations (which in turn was based off Ronkan magic from the First as well).

You know, now that I think about it, the First does have a lot more of that sort of thing, doesn't it? Much as it has more sophisticated overtly supernatural beings in the pixies and other fey. Maybe it feeds into my theory that Allag basically laid waste to whatever was present of the Source's native (natural might not be the right word) spiritual cosmology, which would fit its general vibe.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 2, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

Eden is also...weird, period, given it acts as much like a vehicle as a person. I kinda see it a lot like a pearl - the original Ascian body is just sorta the original core encased in a gigantic accumulation of Light.

So in turn could not the cloud of darkness be a cloud of well, darkness, encasing an Ascian Core?

When you defeat her you dispel the cloud but the core remains a focal point for accumulating darkness.

Also I'm pretty sure Mitron outright says the big Eden Body is what he turned into, Eden Prime was his mind/soul.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

True but I think we just weren't yelling loud enough

More seriously, my guess for why this doesn't work is that we're using a method that resets their aether to the balance it's meant to be at, but after a transformation like that, their balance's base point has gotten warped as well. That or their transformed body generates its own aspected aether so it makes them revert as fast as we can change them.

If we could instead use an existing reference point as the target balance and keep the process up long enough, we could potentially reverse-temper them and cancel out the effects.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

So in turn could not the cloud of darkness be a cloud of well, darkness, encasing an Ascian Core?

When you defeat her you dispel the cloud but the core remains a focal point for accumulating darkness.

That would make sense, yeah. You might be right.

And of course where primordial Light is stable, crystalline, and solid, primordial Dark is a churning morass of fluid and gaseous forces, ever-shifting.

Zomborgon posted:

True but I think we just weren't yelling loud enough

More seriously, my guess for why this doesn't work is that we're using a method that resets their aether to the balance it's meant to be at, but after a transformation like that, their balance's base point has gotten warped as well. That or their transformed body generates its own aspected aether so it makes them revert as fast as we can change them.

If we could instead use an existing reference point as the target balance and keep the process up long enough, we could potentially reverse-temper them and cancel out the effects.

I mean is the body the problem? Or is the mind? Voidsent don't seem as inherently destructive as most sin eaters, because we've got a few examples of voidsent that at least seem semi-capable of integration into society as functional citizens even if they're generally from comedy or holiday quests.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We're going to find and make friends with the one voidsent that just has a strong compulsion to help other voidsent with their problems

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Probably too meta to be a satisfying answer, but I assume the reason some people are past the point of pig is that it makes tempering still have a risk or be a danger.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

I mean is the body the problem? Or is the mind? Voidsent don't seem as inherently destructive as most sin eaters, because we've got a few examples of voidsent that at least seem semi-capable of integration into society as functional citizens even if they're generally from comedy or holiday quests.

Not that he isn't an awful monstrous pile of terrifying actions, but Innocence/Vauthry is kind of proof positive that a Sin eater doesn't have to be a mindless beast and can in fact "function" as part of society.

Part of the tragedy of his situation is that he never really got the chance to be anything but a monster, because his life was designed from the start by Emet-Selch and his own father to be the what it was.

Hence, Innocence.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Not that he isn't an awful monstrous pile of terrifying actions, but Innocence/Vauthry is kind of proof positive that a Sin eater doesn't have to be a mindless beast and can in fact "function" as part of society.

Part of the tragedy of his situation is that he never really got the chance to be anything but a monster, because his life was designed from the start by Emet-Selch and his own father to be the what it was.

Hence, Innocence.

Very true. He had an entire life, though, which comes back to the whole "are sin eaters literally just feral?" given that most sin eaters are, presumably, not that old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

Very true. He had an entire life, though, which comes back to the whole "are sin eaters literally just feral?" given that most sin eaters are, presumably, not that old.

By that same token, a lot of Voidsent are pretty feral too, the ones who show intelligence and such tend to be implied to be old and powerful (Diablo, Scathatch, The Cloud of Darkness who literally was able to make deals with the Emperor of Allag). Actually that last detail might be the real kibosh on the Cloud being an Ascian depending on if the Ascians could continue to rejoin to the Source if it was over-run by the World of Darkness.

Although, maybe it was whatever was left of the Ascian at the core trying to complete the mission they completely failed in the first place.