Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

mcmagic posted:

What exactly are the Browns doing that is wrong? He's there and he's playing. His contract is very hard to trade.

Honestly, I don't think they're doing much wrong? OBJ just clearly isn't working out there and as you said he's hard to trade. But he's gonna get cut at the end of the season and everyone will move on to greener pastures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Browns legend Dwayne Bowe :unsmith:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The Raiders released Willie Snead a week ago because he wasn't getting any touches and now without Ruggs the team only has 3 WRs that can play this Sunday so uh, please trade for Brandon Cooks or OBJ or something

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

The Raiders released Willie Snead a week ago because he wasn't getting any touches and now without Ruggs the team only has 3 WRs that can play this Sunday so uh, please trade for Brandon Cooks or OBJ or something

DeSean Jackson

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

DeSean Jackson

Unironically

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

DariusLikewise posted:

DeSean Jackson

Is cooked

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Trade deadline should be later in the year.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Trade deadline should be later in the year.

Supposedly the reason for this is because it'd lead to playoff teams raiding bad teams for players. Halfway through the season means that pretty much all teams outside the bottom 3-4 are still reasonably in playoff contention.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Supposedly the reason for this is because it'd lead to playoff teams raiding bad teams for players. Halfway through the season means that pretty much all teams outside the bottom 3-4 are still reasonably in playoff contention.

That would own, honestly. Like what if the WFT could loan out Chase Young for the playoffs for a fourth rounder or something.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh look it's every trade deadline ever

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1455622164519034885

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Von Miller got traded to a legit Superbowl contender. I know it wasn't at the deadline but that's consequential. Has anyone figured out why the Rams hate draft picks?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Has anyone figured out why the Rams hate draft picks?

Market inefficiency. If everyone else values draft picks super highly then you can get an advantage by valuing something else super highly and giving your draft picks to other teams in exchange.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Supposedly the reason for this is because it'd lead to playoff teams raiding bad teams for players.

what's wrong with that?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mcmagic posted:

What exactly are the Browns doing that is wrong? He's there and he's playing. His contract is very hard to trade.

Their quarterback won't throw him the ball

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

SKULL.GIF posted:

Market inefficiency. If everyone else values draft picks super highly then you can get an advantage by valuing something else super highly and giving your draft picks to other teams in exchange.

Makes a lot of sense on paper. Problem is it's not market inefficiency to value something that is valuable. Sort of figure no young, cheap talent is going to be a long term problem.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

They still like draft picks and they're averaging like 9-10 picks a year, even with all the trades. They just trade the premium value picks for guaranteed production.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/joytaylortalks/status/1455606766113198086?s=21

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Rams have Aaron Donald who over the past 3 years has been the no doubt most valuable player in the league so like 20th overall behind 19 quarterbacks, and that can't last much longer, so they're trying to maximize their shots while they still have him as a destroyer of worlds.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Imagine if the Saints stole the Rams' strategy of trading high picks for established players and paired it with their ability to give the cap the middle finger.

I respect the Rams doing something different and actively trying to build a championship team over the past several years. Hell, Stafford alone is enough to make them a real threat, yet they still decided it was worth grabbing Von loving Miller to really make sure the Packers and Cardinals don't take them out.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's basically this. Les Snead always described the Jalen Ramsey and Matt Stafford trades though as guaranteed ways to get cornerstone players, guys you can slap a five year contract on and build around. They could have taken a couple stabs with the first rounders they traded but they are always going to be a middling team or better in the short term so those guys will probably never be as good. They stock up on compensatory and late round picks and specifically have built their scouting process around finding guys that are good at one thing to compliment their main talent and it's worked, hard to argue that. Three years down the road when Donald is 33, Stafford is 36 and Ramsey is 30 it probably won't be as good but the whole point is trying as hard as they can to win some championships now while everyone is in their prime.

Mega64 posted:

Imagine if the Saints stole the Rams' strategy of trading high picks for established players and paired it with their ability to give the cap the middle finger.

I respect the Rams doing something different and actively trying to build a championship team over the past several years. Hell, Stafford alone is enough to make them a real threat, yet they still decided it was worth grabbing Von loving Miller to really make sure the Packers and Cardinals don't take them out.

The Rams still do a ton of cap bullshit with voidable years to move money around, but it's the same situation as the Saints where once you are on that treadmill you can keep just borrowing from future years to pay for the present so it really just becomes an accounting issue.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Makes a lot of sense on paper. Problem is it's not market inefficiency to value something that is valuable. Sort of figure no young, cheap talent is going to be a long term problem.

The Rams are still a pretty young team, per Over the Cap the 7th youngest team in the NFL entering the 2021 season.

EDIT- also, yikes the Texans

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Chris James 2 posted:

Browns legend Dwayne Bowe :unsmith:

One of the best fantasy football names was Over the Dwayne Bowe.

Mega64 posted:

They best be aware of the Siemian.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

DariusLikewise posted:

It's basically this. Les Snead always described the Jalen Ramsey and Matt Stafford trades though as guaranteed ways to get cornerstone players, guys you can slap a five year contract on and build around. They could have taken a couple stabs with the first rounders they traded but they are always going to be a middling team or better in the short term so those guys will probably never be as good. They stock up on compensatory and late round picks and specifically have built their scouting process around finding guys that are good at one thing to compliment their main talent and it's worked, hard to argue that. Three years down the road when Donald is 33, Stafford is 36 and Ramsey is 30 it probably won't be as good but the whole point is trying as hard as they can to win some championships now while everyone is in their prime.

The Rams still do a ton of cap bullshit with voidable years to move money around, but it's the same situation as the Saints where once you are on that treadmill you can keep just borrowing from future years to pay for the present so it really just becomes an accounting issue.

I still don't totally get the Von trade though. He's 33, didn't even play last year because of injury, is hurt this year, and hasn't looked great when he HAS played. Other than bottom feeder teams, anyway

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh wow way more posts than usual on Tuesday wonder what big trade went do...

...:stare:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

a neat cape posted:

I still don't totally get the Von trade though. He's 33, didn't even play last year because of injury, is hurt this year, and hasn't looked great when he HAS played. Other than bottom feeder teams, anyway

I think he could be a great piece of a rotation where he's not an every down guy but gets rotated in to keep him and everyone fresh.

As a Seahawk fan I hope he does poorly but I get the move to have just several above average pass rushers that can be part of a killer rotation. This is what really made the good seahawk defenses really shine.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Honestly, shout-out to the Rams for just going for it.

I think that, emotionally, I'm happier overall with the way the Packers have done things because I got to see way more wins than losses from week to week (although the losses were typically in the playoffs, which stings A Lot). But I do appreciate the ballsiness of going all-in, and if they get a single Super Bowl out of it, it's probably worth it even if they're in the gutter three years from now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Propaganda Bob posted:

The Rams are still a pretty young team, per Over the Cap the 7th youngest team in the NFL entering the 2021 season.

EDIT- also, yikes the Texans

The Texans signed a bunch of old journeymen to one year deals which kind of skews that I guess

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm surprised the Vikings have the youngest offense by a good margin.

It's also scary how young the Bengals are on both sides considering how good they already are.

e: And Cards are the second-oldest offense?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

surf rock posted:

I think that, emotionally, I'm happier overall with the way the Packers have done things because I got to see way more wins than losses from week to week (although the losses were typically in the playoffs, which stings A Lot). But I do appreciate the ballsiness of going all-in, and if they get a single Super Bowl out of it, it's probably worth it even if they're in the gutter three years from now.

flags fly forever and all but rebuilding years loving suck. I am more than happy with Baltimore being a Playoff Caliber Team every year and hoping for a great playoff run rather than pushing all their chips in at the expense of any future seasons

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/PhilJonesNFL/status/1455628084443586563

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

a neat cape posted:

He's 32 and he was medically cleared today by the Rams doctors. I think the Broncos held him out of the Washington game because they knew they had a trade lined up, all the Rams beat writers are saying the Rams have been asking the Broncos about Von since the pre-season.

What he does give them though is a different kind of pass rusher, a guy that when on the field with Donald and Leonard Floyd opens up a bunch of crazy stunts and twists. Even if he's 60% of what he was in his prime he should still be able to consistently win one on ones which gives offenses a sort of Sophies choice situation about who to double on the Rams.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yup. That person was burned alive.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Holy poo poo, that’s horrific

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/ByKimberleyA/status/1455626636649549824?t=mpQmisNFbJ3APdbXX9cTeQ&s=19

The first tweet is the first "report" that he himself wants out. But man it would've been funny to see him go to a Trevor Siemien offense where he probably would've put up big numbers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Siemien needs weapons.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mega64 posted:

Siemien needs weapons.

Aren't they getting Michael Thomas back soon?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

jeeeeesus

looks like someone being pulled from the Corvette at the end?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AndrewP posted:

flags fly forever and all but rebuilding years loving suck. I am more than happy with Baltimore being a Playoff Caliber Team every year and hoping for a great playoff run rather than pushing all their chips in at the expense of any future seasons

Teams are always in the midst of rebuilding though. The ones that bottom out and go down the studs do so because the coaching staff sucks and gets canned and the new coach wants to start over. I think Baltimore is consistently good because Harbaugh is a good coach, not because of their conservative roster management philosophy.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Teams are always in the midst of rebuilding though. The ones that bottom out and go down the studs do so because the coaching staff sucks and gets canned and the new coach wants to start over. I think Baltimore is consistently good because Harbaugh is a good coach, not because of their conservative roster management philosophy.

lol you've lit the kawalimus signal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Yep he's headed to the exempt list now that there's video to go with the pics.

Woozie66 posted:

The first tweet is the first "report" that he himself wants out. But man it would've been funny to see him go to a Trevor Siemien offense where he probably would've put up big numbers.

People have been interpreting Lebron and others on social media saying he should be traded as a orchestrated thing.