Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Interesting economic data point from the Harvard/Harris poll that was released today:

quote:

The poll also found that a plurality of respondents — 37 percent — say their personal financial situation is getting worse. Earlier this year, the percentage of those who said their financial situation was improving was on the rise.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/579567-biden-approval-drops-to-43-percent-in-new-poll?rl=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jaxyon posted:

Bulworth has a lot of problems, but a senator getting assassinated by an insurance company exec for suggesting single-payer isn't one of them.

When corruption is legal it becomes very cheap, and that's a studied fact.

on the flip side, that's also a legit reason to move from "here is a suitcase of cash" corruption to "here are campaign contributions and contracts" corruption. Less waste!

It's been a whole Thing in Sri Lanka, although I don't think any of the major players have stated it quite like that, lol.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Willa Rogers posted:

Interesting economic data point from the Harvard/Harris poll that was released today:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/579567-biden-approval-drops-to-43-percent-in-new-poll?rl=1

One other thing caught my eye in this article:

quote:

Biden gets his lowest marks for his handling of the situation in Afghanistan. Only 33 percent say they approve of his actions there.

I figured that number would have started increasing slightly by now. Especially since 34% stated they approved of troop withdrawals last year and only 25% opposed it (I assume the rest were unsure, I'm paywalled from the linked WSJ source).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yeah, I thought that was a weird data point, too.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
That number is consistent with the CBS poll we discussed earlier in the month.
Data here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16F-niG5FT7AYonia--9uOMoePRUkBAma/view

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455684037494837250?s=20
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455685508974190595?s=20

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Epinephrine posted:

That number is consistent with the CBS poll we discussed earlier in the month.
Data here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16F-niG5FT7AYonia--9uOMoePRUkBAma/view

Oh, I didn't mean I doubt the validity of that number. I'm just saying I figured as time went on, more people would approve of the Afghanistan War finally being over. Especially since it seemed like more people were in favor of ending the war prior to it actually being ended.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Welp. He's almost seen enough.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455688205227941894?s=20

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

There's a thread for this here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983727

I went to Radford once and it kinda sucked. Cheap beer, though

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Does he mean Youngkin wins by 9 in the state, or just in Radford?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I don't understand the consistent focus on Virginia in here (not that it bothers me). Just trying to understand.

Is it the only close gubernatorial, or has Virginia special significance / potential in congress?

Also, I only see Bernie's posts in here these days but we should all be stanning him constantly and maybe make him into some kind of modern Steve Rogers, right? The guy's great, and he's a launchpad to discussions about how some politicians can be good and *gasp* maybe they're (exclusively) democrats / leftists!

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

BRJohnson posted:

I don't understand the consistent focus on Virginia in here (not that it bothers me). Just trying to understand.

Is it the only close gubernatorial, or has Virginia special significance / potential in congress?

Also, I only see Bernie's posts in here these days but we should all be stanning him constantly and maybe make him into some kind of modern Steve Rogers, right? The guy's great, and he's a launchpad to discussions about how some politicians can be good and *gasp* maybe they're (exclusively) democrats / leftists!

It's one of the few off-year governor elections, and it's been a lot more high profile than the other (NJ) because it's a +10 dem state with an outgoing dem governor that appears to be going republican as of right now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BRJohnson posted:

Only 2 states have off-year elections for Governor. VA and NJ.

VA is a competitive state that frequently switches between Republican and Democratic Governors.

NJ is not a purple/competitive state.

That's why.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Willa Rogers posted:

Does he mean Youngkin wins by 9 in the state, or just in Radford?

Just Radford. Try not to get too turned on, Willa. :)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

BRJohnson posted:

Virginia is a +10 blue state, people are paying attention to it because the R they're about to elect is a frothing nazi who's platform is turning schools into racism indoctrination camps. It's a sign that Trump's chances of returning to power and the Republican party turning our country into a single-party dictatorship due to voter apathy are much higher than we thought.

Also, you know, the fact that this proves the Libs are more Owned than ever. That's probably what's really important.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sanguinia posted:

Also, you know, the fact that this proves the Libs are more Owned than ever. That's probably what's really important.

I'd say that goes without saying, but you know :v:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Sanguinia posted:

Virginia is a +10 blue state, people are paying attention to it because the R they're about to elect is a frothing nazi who's platform is turning schools into racism indoctrination camps.

Do you really believe this?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

And before any of you get wild ideas on why McAuliffe lost, just remember:

o A lot of VA is still fairly conservative even among Dems
o CRT was sort of the shorthand; the anger was with schools generally
o Parents are going to be angry about schools a long time; the pandemic was worst on parents without question.
o There was little if any support for parents; Youngkin won't make that better, but the alternative didn't either.
o It was an across-the-board failure, but it was a huge failure and frankly, covid rates among kids never justified how long schools were out. It was destroying people.
o Kids, according to (my friends') teacher friends, are just loving terribly behaved now, and are performing terribly. Parents are furious.
o Schools were closed longest in VA of almost any state. People are mad mad.
o So never run a terminally online guy in the primaries. You might be left with a subpar candidate who beats him.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BRJohnson posted:

It's the only state that Biden won that the GOP has a chance (looking more likely by the minute) of winning.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Just Radford. Try not to get too turned on, Willa. :)

I'm melting down with laughter rn.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Youngkin is literally the opposite of frothing

I could not imagine a stupider loving take on this election cycle

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sanguinia posted:

It's a sign that Trump's chances of returning to power and the Republican party turning our country into a single-party dictatorship due to voter apathy are much higher than we thought.

Voter turnout looks like it will be a record high for a Gubernatorial race.

It's going to be around 55% instead of around the 75% it was in 2020, but it's not really a voter apathy problem.

Democratic turnout is surprisingly good for an off-year election. It's just that Republican turnout in rural areas is massive and Youngkin is only losing the suburbs by 10 points instead of the 20+ Trump lost them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What the hell are they now if American schools are not racism factories?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

Virginia is a +10 blue state, people are paying attention to it because the R they're about to elect is a frothing nazi

No he is not, he's extremely good at hiding the fact that he is a Nazi and running ads that make him seem like a reasonable centrist, he's the opposite of the Trump-esque bigot McAuliffe tried to paint him out as, even if his politics are every bit as repugnant.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
For us non-Virginians, where does Youngkin fall on a scale of Mitt Romney to Donald Trump in terms of politics?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Seph posted:

For us non-Virginians, where does Youngkin fall on a scale of Mitt Romney to Donald Trump in terms of politics?

He's a baby donny

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ciprian Maricon posted:

No he is not, he's extremely good at hiding the fact that he is a Nazi and running ads that make him seem like a reasonable centrist, he's the opposite of the Trump-esque bigot McAuliffe tried to paint him out as, even if his politics are every bit as repugnant.

A frothing nazi that appears on the outside to be calm, reasonable and refined is the loving archtype for what a nazi is, and has been since the end of the drat war where we fought the nazis. The loving shrug-oh-well energy people are expressing over this is horrific. A +10 dem state just elected this psycho on the explicit promise that he's going to go after teachers, and nobody on this board seems to care except insofar as they get to laugh at a democrat they hate for being a loser.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
owned

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

A frothing nazi that appears on the outside to be calm, reasonable and refined is the loving archtype for what a nazi is, and has been since the end of the drat war where we fought the nazis. The loving shrug-oh-well energy people are expressing over this is horrific. A +10 dem state just elected this psycho on the explicit promise that he's going to go after teachers, and nobody on this board seems to care except insofar as they get to laugh at a democrat they hate for being a loser.

Bad candidates with nonexistent messages don’t win elections in states like Virginia. Why are you upset at people who accept reality? Yeah it loving sucks the Democrats are a mess.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

That overheated rhetoric is going to prove as useful for Dems next year as it's proving for T-Mac this year.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

turnip kid posted:

Bad candidates with nonexistent messages don’t win elections in states like Virginia. Why are you upset at people who accept reality? Yeah it loving sucks the Democrats are a mess.

T-Mac has literally already comfortably won an election for Governor of Virginia on an even vaguer platform with no accomplishments in 2013.

So, that's clearly not the case.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So what about the VA house? Is that going GOP Too?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

T-Mac has literally already comfortably won an election for Governor of Virginia on an even vaguer platform with no accomplishments in 2013.

As people have pointed out, he hilariously only did that because a Libertarian got 6.5% of the vote. Maybe the Dems shouldn't be so hard on 3rd parties after all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

That overheated rhetoric is going to prove as useful for Dems next year as it's proving for T-Mac this year.

According to CNN's exit poll a :airquote:literal Nazi:airquote: won 13% of black voters :thunk:

https://www.cnn.com/election/2021/november/exit-polls/virginia/governor

Hm maybe if the plan was to run on what a racist Nazi the other guy is, the Democrats shouldn't have rallied around the governor whose defense to a blackface scandal was "at least I wasn't the other guy in the KKK hood, probably?"

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm no expert but "vague platforms and no accomplishments are good, actually" sounds like a bad plan for winning elections. But like I said I'm not an expert.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

According to CNN's exit poll a :airquote:literal Nazi:airquote: won 13% of black voters :thunk:

Hm maybe if the plan was to run on what a racist Nazi the other guy is, the Democrats shouldn't have rallied around the governor whose defense to a blackface scandal was "at least I wasn't the other guy in the KKK hood, probably?"
That's about the same proportion that voted for Gillespie in 2017, not much there to read into.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Strange that a democrat whose entire electoral platform was “hey look at this crazy guy while having no actual policy positions” ate poo poo again . Must be nothing.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

VitalSigns posted:

The problem was that the Lt. Governor's got embroiled in a sexual assault scandal and the Attorney General was also caught up in his own blackface incident (which was slightly less egregious because he just liked Michael Jackson). It was an amazingly lovely situation.

Oddly though, basically having Northam's national ambitions blown up put him in a position where he had to support and sign the criminal justice reform bills and other more progressive legislation that came that way.

I don't think this result has much to do with Northam's baggage. McAuliffe was just not a good candidate for 2021 and sadly we all had to see that unfold in a general election.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

whoa, that Hispanic split. eta: And Asian, jesus.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

When Democrats don’t tangibly make people’s lives better and/or offer more than “I’m not the other guy”, it leaves an opening for fascists.

This is going to keep happening because neoliberal capitalism is wholly unsuited for handling the crises it has created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

When Democrats don’t tangibly make people’s lives better and/or offer more than “I’m not the other guy”, it leaves an opening for fascists.

This is going to keep happening because neoliberal capitalism is wholly unsuited for handling the crises it has created.

This obviously doesn't apply to Virginia because the Democrats in the state have kicked rear end pretty hard the last two years.