Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

When Democrats don’t tangibly make people’s lives better and/or offer more than “I’m not the other guy”, it leaves an opening for fascists.

This is going to keep happening because neoliberal capitalism is wholly unsuited for handling the crises it has created.
Right; and it works some of the time so they'll never give up on it

McAuliffe straight-up ran the 'TRUMP BAD' of Hillary 2016 and it had a predictable result

Say what you will about Biden, but the messaging he and his surrogates had going into November was that if you voted for him they would get things done (which they are of course not currently getting done).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

When Democrats don’t tangibly make people’s lives better and/or offer more than “I’m not the other guy”, it leaves an opening for fascists.

This is going to keep happening because neoliberal capitalism is wholly unsuited for handling the crises it has created.

Clinton winning in the 90's is tangibly the anchor around the party and will be for at least the next decade.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

whats funny is the VA dems did actually pass very good poo poo that improved stuff. its just dumbfuck didnt run on it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
But the problem is that local politics is dying. You can be great locally but if the national party is waning, you lose.

Tribalism isn't bounded by geography like it used to be.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

It is a good thing to see liberals and Dems have their own hubris blow up in their face tonight. I’m looking forward to the same results next year and in 2024.

The reconciliation bill is a perfect example of what the Democratic Party is able to deliver the country (nothing).

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

So the Dems keep the lege but potentially lose the executive in VA?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Well the silver lining for Virginia Dems is they won't need to invent any excuses about why they can't repeal Right to Work

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It is a good thing to see liberals and Dems have their own hubris blow up in their face tonight. I’m looking forward to the same results next year and in 2024.

The reconciliation bill is a perfect example of what the Democratic Party is able to deliver the country (nothing).

What result are you looking forward to as a result of Dems losing? What's your end game?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

What result are you looking forward to as a result of Dems losing? What's your end game?

They're an accelerationist.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I (think I) understand why you feel that way, but what would be good about the GOP having Congress in 2022 and the White House in 2024?

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

Eric Cantonese posted:

I (think I) understand why you feel that way, but what would be good about the GOP having Congress in 2022 and the White House in 2024?

- The Democrat party platform

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well, you see, when Youngkin stacks the elections committee and turns VA into another "Stop the Steal" state, nobody to the left of Rush Limbaugh will have their election certified. We'll all have a hearty chuckle and have the satisfaction of telling the state DNC "I told you so".

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go try and stave off this oncoming panic attack.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Police_monitoring posted:

- The Democrat party platform

This.

Dems inability to do what is needed and their uninspiring campaigns are damaging the country.

I fully blame the Dems for the mess this country is about to get into.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
He wants to make us all suffer for failing progressives. He thinks accelerationism is good without understanding revolution kills and hurts the vulnerable.

Either way, ignore him.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This.

Dems inability to do what is needed and their uninspiring campaigns are damaging the country.

about to?!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blindeye posted:

He wants to make us all suffer for failing progressives. He thinks accelerationism is good without understanding revolution kills and hurts the vulnerable.

Either way, ignore him.

The mods also protect him and punish you whenever you tell him to settle down, so do not engage at all lest you court heat.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Democratic establishment nominated McAuliffe: they are the real accelerationists

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Raenir Salazar posted:

They don't have one. They are incapable of thinking about people outside of their bubble.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BRJohnson posted:

I don't understand the consistent focus on Virginia in here (not that it bothers me). Just trying to understand.

Is it the only close gubernatorial, or has Virginia special significance / potential in congress?

I remember the reign of Scott Walker in Wisconsin and how he spent 8 years razing the state in service of corporate interests. It feels lovely to watch that potentially happen in a state where, by all accounts, there was a ton of progressive enthusiasm and action.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 3, 2021

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I'm glad everyone is mad at the true villain here: some powerless goon who is fed up with a party that fails to deliver time and time again, and by its own admission is unable to stop the rise of fascism.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Blindeye posted:

Either way, ignore him.

It'd be a hell of a lot easier if everyone wasn't always quoting him, thereby making the ignore button I clicked useless.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Given this is where Virginia is, I'm seriously considering moving to either Chicago or Detroit, lots of friends of mine have already done so, and I don't want to be around when Ohio goes further into crazyland. loving DeWine has a strong primary challenger!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The more reasonable answer Virginia has been more willing to shut down schools by American standards and people are mad as hell about schools not being open and also GOP lies about Critical Race Theory. It doesn't matter that almost all the major issues in the race revolving around schools are either dumb, selfish, or racist. What matters is that voters are mad enough about schools to vote about it, and think that "good traditional values" BS will solve their complaints with public education.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Willa Rogers posted:

whoa, that Hispanic split. eta: And Asian, jesus.

Both of those seem pretty typical

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Blindeye posted:

He wants to make us all suffer for failing progressives. He thinks accelerationism is good

Incorrect and without evidence.

quote:

revolution kills and hurts the vulnerable.

Which is completely different from the current situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVueEr6GnHI

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

whoa, that Hispanic split. eta: And Asian, jesus.
Missed this one. Hispanic exit results are also consistent with 2017. I don't have data for Asian voters.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats funny is the VA dems did actually pass very good poo poo that improved stuff. its just dumbfuck didnt run on it.

Unfortunately, and this genuinely brings me great grief, you may be overestimating the number of people who want the government to do good stuff.

I'm in Seattle, and we are almost certainly going to elect a Republican city attorney (who switched from Dem when Trump was elected) because the Dem candidate had some defund the police tweets last year.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Baronash posted:

I remember the reign of Scott Walker in Wisconsin and how he spent 8 years razing the state in service of corporate interests. It feels lovely to watch that happen in a state where, by all accounts, there was a ton of progressive enthusiasm and action.

Reminder that Scott Walker's crowning pro-business labor-busting achievement (making Wisconsin a Right To Work state) was already the status quo in Virginia and the Virginia Democrats stonewalled the bills to undo it for years.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

wait, the mod thread suggestions is closed? Because I um, have some notes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

pthighs posted:

Unfortunately, and this genuinely brings me great grief, you may be overestimating the number of people who want the government to do good stuff.

I'm in Seattle, and we are almost certainly going to elect a Republican city attorney (who switched from Dem when Trump was elected) because the Dem candidate had some defund the police tweets last year.

idk we will see. PA went well which genuinely surprised me. i think there are alot of lessons people can learn and i will have to maul them over more. but its a mix of bunch of gently caress ups both directly dem and some that are out of both hands. also youngkin playing at a boring shithead conservative helped him way more then being an openly open super chud.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Which is completely different from the current situation.

In degree of magnitude, yeah. Anyway, nobody is ever going to altruistically run a country of hundreds of millions of people. It's a fantasy. It's not a thing homo sapiens are willing to do. Culture can change and regular people can learn to be less selfish, sure absolutely. But not political leaders of massive nations. Best case scenario is having a high enough number of competing factions selfishly vying for power that they have more need to curry favor with the public.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 3, 2021

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

I'm glad everyone is mad at the true villain here: some powerless goon who is fed up with a party that fails to deliver time and time again, and by its own admission is unable to stop the rise of fascism.

Thank you. It’s a bit telling what folks find unacceptable verses the actual issue at hand. People really need to focus on outcomes. Running a lovely Clintonite resulted in a loss and the lives of folks getting worse. The Dems are to blame for this outcome.

pthighs posted:

I fully disagree with this assessment. The Dems have to run folks that actually inspire and offer people a reason to vote for them.

Saying “I’m not Trump” isn’t inspiring.

Hell, saying “we’ll just keep doing what we are doing” is pathetic.

You have to say “this poo poo is wrong and we will fix it by X time.”

The Rs are giving their base those promises and delivering. I’m not saying they are delivering good things, but they give their base and independence they strike a nerve with to actually vote.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I, too, cannot envision anyone else involved in this mess you speak of. no kind of conceptual group with any sort of direct contribution to the bad things,

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yeah the knives out strategy the right wing Dems used paying off dividends tonight.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1455708934732345344?s=20

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

It's the only state that Biden won that the GOP has a chance (looking more likely by the minute) of winning.

I'm melting down with laughter rn.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you think Democrats have accomplished nothing of value in Virginia then you're either not paying attention, or too invested in your own narrative to see what you don't want to see.

You can argue that it isn't enough, but it certainly isn't nothing.

But sure, tell me how they would've cleaned up if only they'd gone Full Communism.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2021/03/03/democrats-controlled-virginia-government-for-two-years-heres-what-they-did/

https://vahousedems.org/2020/03/08/va-house-dems-celebrate-historic-legislative-accomplishments/

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If you think Democrats have accomplished nothing of value in Virginia then you're either not paying attention, or too invested in your own narrative to see what you don't want to see.

But sure, tell me how they would've cleaned up if only they'd gone Full Communism.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2021/03/03/democrats-controlled-virginia-government-for-two-years-heres-what-they-did/

https://vahousedems.org/2020/03/08/va-house-dems-celebrate-historic-legislative-accomplishments/

Well none of that will probably matter since Republicans are about to un-do it all.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

How mad were you when Trump lost? Like a scale of 1-10.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

volts5000 posted:

Well, you see, when Youngkin stacks the elections committee and turns VA into another "Stop the Steal" state, nobody to the left of Rush Limbaugh will have their election certified. We'll all have a hearty chuckle and have the satisfaction of telling the state DNC "I told you so".

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go try and stave off this oncoming panic attack.

So yeah this was the thing that's gutted me the most.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I don’t think they’ve accomplished nothing here. They haven’t gone as far as they should but they’ve delivered in a lot of good things. Seeing the Lee statue come down here in Charlottesville was a big moment for the area.

I was mostly referring to McAuliffe’s campaign and national level Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

It's a sign that Trump's chances of returning to power and the Republican party turning our country into a single-party dictatorship due to voter apathy are much higher than we thought.

I think the real takeaway here isn't voter apathy, its party apathy. The voter turnout was very high! Its just that the democrats don't seem to especially care about winning. They nominated a doofus like McAuliffe who ran a lackluster campaign based on personality instead of legislative accomplishments and concrete future goals. The democrat party itself is rotten and does not care anymore. I don't know how you expect the voters to care more about victory than the candidates themselves.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ideally I would like the democrats to start actually trying to win instead of running a massive grift operation based on laundering donor dollars into consultant pockets via the medium of message-less 'Trump bad! Vote!' campaigns. It would be nice to see some candidates who vaguely care about political goals beyond their own status.

I'm not holding out a lot of hope for this though

I think its time to stop blaming voters and start blaming the lovely state and national parties that ran the garbage candidates who keep losing. Or if you feel you must blame some voters, blame the trashcan democrat primary voters for consistently picking the shittiest candidate available.