Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TulliusCicero posted:

I mean it still hasn't been called and apparently there's some missing mail in ballots/ data, anything is possible, but that lead seems rough to get over

Lmao if Dave Wasserman was wrong though: would make my night for the polling boys to be wrongo again

Terry's still down by ~100k with just 4-5% of the state left to count. He'd have to do an insane number on what's left to pull it off. It ain't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

LGD posted:

So this is, explicitly, a pre-emptive and one-sidedly partisan mod intervention to protect people's feelings that aligns precisely with pre-existing criticisms of D&D moderation?

Neat.

No, he totally would be posting worriedly about hurt feelings if Terry had won too, I'm certain of it.

This kind of thing isn't gloating though so it's fine:

SourKraut posted:

if your cousin's wife voted for Youngkin, then she can go get hosed (by a transvaginal ultrasound, which, she apparently voted for!)

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 3, 2021

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I for one cannot believe that chasing embarrassed suburban Republicans that thought Trump was gauche is not a winning long-term strategy.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pobrecito posted:

I for one cannot believe that chasing embarrassed suburban Republicans that thought Trump was gauche is not a winning long-term strategy.

Or that eliding & ignoring economic distress would not result in wins.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/interactive/2021/exit-polls-virginia-governor/#h-Y5IF6NZDJZFT3PK2ZNXGJRNMMQ

Looking at the preliminary breakdowns, its just Youngkin being better at campaigning to white, low-education voters. Looking at the preliminary breakdowns, Youngkin is outperforming Trump in one area (White voters who have not completed a bachelor's degree), and performing the same as Trump everywhere else. Youngkin is NOT doing better than Trump with any other kind of voter. But +15% for white, low-education voters carried the day here.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Or that eliding & ignoring economic distress would not result in wins.

yes but at the same time the economy in VA is not as stressed as it is in other parts of the country, it's a very very secular economy in VA

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

golden bubble posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/interactive/2021/exit-polls-virginia-governor/#h-Y5IF6NZDJZFT3PK2ZNXGJRNMMQ

Looking at the preliminary breakdowns, its just Youngkin being better at campaigning to white, low-education voters. Looking at the preliminary breakdowns, Youngkin is outperforming Trump in one area (White voters who have not completed a bachelor's degree), and performing the same as Trump everywhere else. Youngkin is NOT doing better than Trump with any other kind of voter. But +15% for white, low-education voters carried the day here.

So it was probably the CRT bullshit after all. gently caress.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Peter Daou Zen posted:

People can vote for whomever they want, thank you!

They sure can! But then I don't have to have sympathy when they reap what they sow.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Source: Some guy on predict-it sourced back to ABC News, but apparently only 40% of mail in votes have been counted in NJ and the remaining ~600k mail in votes account for most of the estimated outstanding votes. Since early voting tends to favor dems it looks like Murphy has it in the bag, it'll just take hours to days to finish counting the mail in votes

E: wild rear end prediction invalid if turnout massively beats estimation of course

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

yes but at the same time the economy in VA is not as stressed as it is in other parts of the country, it's a very very secular economy in VA

I'll bet that's truer for the white, college-educated suburbanites who voted Dem than it is for the white, non-college-educated suburbanites who voted GOP, or for rural voters.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Choose your own Adventure Game:

You are Terry Mcauliffe , once and future Governor of Virginia. You see the polls tightening in the last few weeks due to your relative inaction.

You can:

Mobilize your grassroots campaign and get the vote out, talk about issues you genuinely think voters will go for

Double down on alienating the white suburban parent vote, say that your own party's President is spending too much money, do nothing but compare your opponent to a guy who isn't even running and had been banned from the Internet

Choose wisely

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 3, 2021

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

There remains a non-zero chance that we have a Dem Lt Gov/AG with a GOP Gov, as they are both getting more votes than McAuliffe, which combined with a tied house would be the funniest outcome from a sickos perspective.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Oh wow. They seemed like they were going to get to 51 for sure. There's NO provisions for control in the event of a tie? I assume the Speaker breaks the tie, but if you can't elect a Speaker because there is a tie then, like, what the hell do you do?

Something the Dems have been struggling with since they took control is that the VA Legislature was purposefully designed to be incredibly lovely and encourage nothing to be done. It's still set up basically like the legislators are having to travel by horse and buggy from their estates to vote on not raising their own taxes. There's all kinds of insane stuff like having to presubmit all bills before the session starts, very short session times, low pay, etc

So basically, WAD.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I choose C: Run a flurry of ads indistinguishable from republican campaign material showing Youngkin has Trump's full support, confident this will not boost my opponent's performance with lower education whites, one of Trump's core demographics. Then I sit back and have another drink, because I am a genius.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ram dass in hell posted:

No, he totally would be posting worriedly about hurt feelings if Terry had won too, I'm certain of it.

This kind of thing isn't gloating though so it's fine:

1) thank you for pointing out a post i missed

2) i thought "don't be an rear end in a top hat" was a general rule we could all get behind, but now i have concerns

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Youth Decay posted:

There remains a non-zero chance that we have a Dem Lt Gov/AG with a GOP Gov, as they are both getting more votes than McAuliffe, which combined with a tied house would be the funniest outcome from a sickos perspective.

The funniest outcome ever is Youngkin beating T-Mac only to be immediately replaced by his Lt. Governor when he inevitably Does a horrible Racism/ Rape/Pedophile scandal as GOP are wont to do, while the VA house holds dem by 1 seat.

:yeshaha:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nix Panicus posted:

I choose C: Run a flurry of ads indistinguishable from republican campaign material showing Youngkin has Trump's full support, confident this will not boost my opponent's performance with lower education whites, one of Trump's core demographics. Then I sit back and have another drink, because I am a genius.

"Only a genius like me, Terry Big Brain could have come up with this! What a naughty Caprice!"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Willa Rogers posted:

I'll bet that's truer for the white, college-educated suburbanites who voted Dem than it is for the white, non-college-educated suburbanites who voted GOP, or for rural voters.

Accurate.

Northern Virginia is pretty dang insulated against the effects of the pandemic and economic downturn, and there's massive amounts of opportunities that spread into Maryland and DC.

Rural Virginia is loaded with churches and Wal-Marts and not much else.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I don’t think the CRT crap is what did it, most likely it’s Terry’s dumb comments about parents shouldn’t have a say in their child's education after weeks and weeks of pissed off white chuds screaming at and making death threats to school boards also the increase in the cost of literally everything and him spending 99% of his ad budget running against Trump. Whoever was in charge of that campaign and advising him shouldn’t ever be involved in politics again. The entire campaign staff in charge of decision making should be black listed.

Really dumb and oblivious to what was going on in the state.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

TulliusCicero posted:

The funniest outcome ever is Youngkin beating T-Mac only to be immediately replaced by his Lt. Governor when he inevitably Does a horrible Racism/ Rape/Pedophile scandal as GOP are wont to do, while the VA house holds dem by 1 seat.

:yeshaha:
I fully expect him to do a McConnell corruption speedrun at the very least but I'm not sure there will be any real consequences for it

At least Danica Roem won her reelection. Turns out that even in a poo poo year for the Dems a Republican candidate who compared the Supreme Court ruling in favor of marriage equality to the Dred Scott decision isn't going to inspire anyone.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

Whoever was in charge of that campaign and advising him shouldn’t ever be involved in politics again. The entire campaign staff in charge of decision making should be black listed.

This is certainly true, and it's telling how much the consultant/professional Dem class is already clamoring to punch left over it.

https://twitter.com/whignewtons/status/1455716594445848578

They know that if you think about this race for more than a second, the gravy train's over for them.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Majorian posted:

This is certainly true, and it's telling how much the consultant/professional Dem class is already clamoring to punch left over it.

They know that if you think about this race for more than a second, the gravy train's over for them.

You can also say that about 2016 but they all still have jobs somehow

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Majorian posted:

I certainly want to hear what Future Fox News Analyst, Sara Mcrich Fig Newton has to say. Really has her finger on the pulse of political discourse :hmmyes:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

You can also say that about 2016 but they all still have jobs somehow

Yeah well, like I said, one has to think about it for more than a second.;)

TulliusCicero posted:

I certainly want to hear what Future Fox News Analyst, Sara Mcrich Fig Newton has to say. Really has her finger on the pulse of political discourse :hmmyes:

e: lol, I had forgotten she worked for Trump. All right, bad example, refer to Blake instead:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 3, 2021

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So is it going to take days to get the New Jersey results or what?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Majorian posted:

Yeah well, like I said, one has to think about it for more than a second.;)

e: lol, I had forgotten she worked for Trump. All right, bad example, refer to Blake instead:

Although, to be fair:

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1455708311634972676

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

So it was probably the CRT bullshit after all. gently caress.
Woke stuff is voter kryptonite. A lot of The Macker's platform really was issues that matter to voters and were widely popular (paid leave!) but he had about the worst answers possible to the CRT debacle, and what we're seeing in the exit polls shows that it was likely this issue that killed him more than anything else, although he was already an extremely lameo centrist candidate running under challenging national circumstances.

The sharp shift against him in Loudon County is especially notable because their school district spent $400k on grifty "equity consulting" in 2019 and conservatives had a field day with it.

Dem candidates need to have a really good answer to the charge of "you're trying to stuff woke crap down our kids' throats" given that there is a real, live movement to teach The 1619 Project and White Fragility in public schools – it's not some fake moral panic. An easy one is "we also don't want ideology taught in schools, just teach historical fact and critical thinking skills and let kids make up their minds for themselves" which is in fact how education has worked in the best public schools in the U.S. for decades, and the most reliable way to make kids progressive.

The problem is that this is unacceptable –racist, even! – to a mostly white, elite subset of the left with controlling influence over the party and the nominal left-of-center's institutions. And that means no matter how hard you try to sell progressive economic and social policy, you will be forced to slam your political dick in this car door, and it's going to hurt you electorally.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LOL, I'm sure both sides of this discussion will be treated equally and given the same amount of attention from those in power.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Is there a tally of the wins and losses tonight?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Woke stuff is voter kryptonite. A lot of The Macker's platform really was issues that matter to voters and were widely popular (paid leave!) but he had about the worst answers possible to the CRT debacle, and what we're seeing in the exit polls shows that it was likely this issue that killed him more than anything else, although he was already an extremely lameo centrist candidate running under challenging national circumstances.

The sharp shift against him in Loudon County is especially notable because their school district spent $400k on grifty "equity consulting" in 2019 and conservatives had a field day with it.

Dem candidates need to have a really good answer to the charge of "you're trying to stuff woke crap down our kids' throats" given that there is a real, live movement to teach The 1619 Project and White Fragility in public schools – it's not some fake moral panic. An easy one is "we also don't want ideology taught in schools, just teach historical fact and critical thinking skills and let kids make up their minds for themselves" which is in fact how education has worked in the best public schools in the U.S. for decades, and the most reliable way to make kids progressive.

The problem is that this is unacceptable –racist, even! – to a mostly white, elite subset of the left with controlling influence over the party and the nominal left-of-center's institutions. And that means no matter how hard you try to sell progressive economic and social policy, you will be forced to slam your political dick in this car door, and it's going to hurt you electorally.

So you seem to be real obsessed with this woke elite white dem cabal" that exists entirely on Twitter and in your head rent-free: they don't exist my dude. They don't have ANY power in the modern Democratic party, they are not listened to by anybody influental. Honestly some of your rants about woke culture seem pretty Tim Pooley. Also you seem obsessed with this dick in car door analogy, which makes me wonder who hurt you :ohdear:

Anywho, There is no political power base of rich leftist white college kids in the Democratic Party, it's run entirely by moderate Business Liches, what the gently caress are you smoking, because it's some good poo poo.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 3, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Lol at you claiming that teachers wanting to teach 1619 project materials or draw ideas from a useful book like White Fragility as "not a fake moral panic." As if the Right's response to some people advocating that or individual teachers using their leeway to select their own materials within the state standards to try them out wasn't "We will mandate that schools teach the Pros as well as the Cons of the 3/5ths Compromise and the Holocaust," and claiming that to be "teaching ideology free historical fact and critical thinking skills."

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Flopsy posted:

So is it going to take days to get the New Jersey results or what?

Probably. The bulk of the outstanding vote appears to be mail in votes which will take time to sort and process

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Wasn't White Fragility largely about how the services the author provides will be crucial in fighting racism, and that folks will always be racist so it is a constant fight?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

Probably. The bulk of the outstanding vote appears to be mail in votes which will take time to sort and process

So the big take aways tonight are parents are pissed and if trump's not on the ticket white suburbanites will be wooed away is that what I'm hearing?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Judakel posted:

Wasn't White Fragility largely about how the services the author provides will be crucial in fighting racism, and that folks will always be racist so it is a constant fight?

Yeah she sold that poo poo to Coca Cola, because she "consults" to the tune of millions to make companies less racist, but you always need her! :smug:

She's a grifter

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Judakel posted:

I mean, yeah, but most non-fiction books turn into sales pitches by the end. I could choke a rhino with grifting non-fiction books that have a few good bits in them but are mostly salespitch poo poo which my school purchased and gave to me as training materials, why not one about race relations instead of classroom management techniques designed for rich private school kids? The early chapters have some really good stuff in them though. Not that I've used it in my class, I was never able to really come up with any good ideas for it, but that doesn't mean nobody could.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Flopsy posted:

So the big take aways tonight are parents are pissed and if trump's not on the ticket white suburbanites will be wooed away is that what I'm hearing?

Those things, plus "actually run on how you have made your prospective voters' lives better in the past and how you intend to continue to do so once (re)elected." But I'm glad you said that second part also, because it's something leftists have been warning would happen for several years now, and always faced a weird amount of pushback. It's great that the whole Panera Bread strategy yielded returns in 2018 and 2020, but it's pretty obviously not sustainable.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

I mean, yeah, but most non-fiction books turn into sales pitches by the end. I could choke a rhino with grifting non-fiction books that have a few good bits in them but are mostly salespitch poo poo which my school purchased and gave to me as training materials, why not one about race relations instead of classroom management techniques designed for rich private school kids? The early chapters have some really good stuff in them though. Not that I've used it in my class, I was never able to really come up with any good ideas for it, but that doesn't mean nobody could.

Maybe this isn't the same author/ consultant as the Coca Cola one: I only heard the rant about it from a chud once tbh

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Yeah, If Trump's not on the ballot then never-Trump republicans are just generic republicans. Maybe its time to stop running against Trump? I dunno. Also maybe don't say things like 'parents shouldnt have a say in their kids education' no matter how true that statement is in regards to insane chud parents.

I really feel this was McAuliffes race to lose and he did so with aplomb. A slightly more competent candidate would have pulled out a win, maybe a worryingly close win that might sound some alarms like whats happening with NJ, but still a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Maybe this isn't the same author/ consultant as the Coca Cola one: I only heard the rant about it from a chud once tbh

Nah, it's her:

quote:

After a whistleblower complained that Coca-Cola was asking its employees to engage in diversity training offered by LinkedIn Learning that encouraged them to "try to be less white," the social media firm has removed the program.

"The Confronting Racism course featuring Robin DiAngelo is no longer available in our course library, at the request of the 3rd party content provider we licensed this content from," LinkedIn vice president of corporate communications Nicole Leverich told Newsweek in an email on Monday.

White fragility, as a concept, is a valuable tool in understanding racism and white supremacy, but required courses like this really don't do anything but stoke resentment. You are correct, she's a grifter.