Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

If they are, it's not being exploited in South Florida/Broward. Not even the local Progressive Politics Podcaster is covering much of a "resistance" to DeSantis. You'd think a year out, a Democratic challenger would have emerged and gotten some press but unless I've somehow done the impossible and managed to actually get removed from every democrat mailing list ever, there's hardly a peep about running someone against him next year.

If they run Crist again then I'm just going to assume that the fl dem party is managed opposition at this point because there's no way an organization staffed by adult human beings could be so incompetent.

edit: Birb for the page tax:

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

No, I am not suggesting this. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I think you understand. American culture is loving toxic in some ways, and needs to change.

I'm sure someone will be right along to tell you that the real problem is that voters weren't properly inspired and so they voted for fascism through no fault of anyone except the insidious liberals.

The voters are hardly blameless for taking lovely options and making the shittiest choice.

We should definitely focus on the amorphous wrongs of Americas culture which led to this outcome. This is a much more grounded and realistic approach with much easier to solve problems, unlike say, looking at the piles of unforced errors committed by campaigns, which are just very hard to pin down and resolve.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

MixMasterMalaria posted:

If they run Crist again then I'm just going to assume that the fl dem party is managed opposition at this point because there's no way an organization staffed by adult human beings could be so incompetent.

I know I'm not a representative slice of the Average Florida Voter, but I would absolutely break my "I will never vote for a democrat again" oath if they ran Andrew Gillum again based solely on the fact that a meth-addicted, bisexual prostitute connoisseur would govern better than any democrat or republican that's electorally viable.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TulliusCicero posted:

He's

A. Old as gently caress
B. Completely Senile by 2024
C. His health was already a loving trainwreck before COVID
D. Still under investigation for multiple criminal offenses in NYC

More importantly, he's E. Rich as all get out, which does a lot to combat A thru D. As long as Trump is conscious in 2024, and maybe even if he's not, he's back in the White House in 2025.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Betting this election turned on parents. That’s who the crazies are targeting.

Lol.

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/620596/

This has to be addressed or it’s only going to get worse. We are going to end up with fascism because remote school was total poo poo show and everybody hand waved away how bad it’s been for parents for almost two years.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TulliusCicero posted:

He's

A. Old as gently caress
B. Completely Senile by 2024
C. His health was already a loving trainwreck before COVID
D. Still under investigation for multiple criminal offenses in NYC

I really do think Donny is dead long before 2024

Stop loving running against a guy who is not even on the ballot or the internet, and worry about the competent fascist waiting down the pipeline.

A. Biden is older, yet still president. So Kamala 2024 or...?
B. How is Trump senile, but Biden is not senile by this metric?
C. Was it?
D. Anyday now. . .

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

No, I don't care to hear the "but creeping fascism!!!!" doomerism nonsense. be optimistic :)

How is recognizing the fact the US is moving in an authoritarian direction "doomerism" and cause to just "be optimistic :) :) :)"

Tons of democratic countries have gone autocratic recently, the US isn't special.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Florida sounds like it's a clusterfuck for the Dems. Certain factors are not in their control. You have older conservative people moving there all the time. Very prominent parts of the Hispanic community like the very rich and powerful Cuban expat community lean R anyway too. It's also a state that makes up for its geographic and economic disadvantages by having the nation's most ridiculous homestead exemption too, so you get all manner of horrible business people who set up there so they can protect assets from collectors and victims.

Dems self-sabotage on immigration policy, minimum wage and police reform are definitely not helping either.

And if my personal experience with Florida Democratic leadership/party staff is any reflection of reality, it is not competently run either. I know politics is often, by definition, non-meritocratic and based on who happens to like you at any given time, but I've met some real empty suits down there.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
none of these articles mention the Fundy shitstains taking over every level of government and the dumbass "suburban parents" go along with them

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

A central secret to understanding US elections is that voters as a group are not the actors, they are the acted-upon. If you can't grasp this you just turn into a weird Calvanist-but-for-civics, which is what the eternal dogfuckers who run these campaigns into the ground would prefer

selec
Sep 6, 2003

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

A central secret to understanding US elections is that voters as a group are not the actors, they are the acted-upon. If you can't grasp this you just turn into a weird Calvanist-but-for-civics, which is what the eternal dogfuckers who run these campaigns into the ground would prefer

There are a lot of very smart people who understand a lot of inside baseball about politics, but do not have a basic analysis of power relationships, and it makes for some really comical Rube Goldberg explanations of what we see, when “What do the rich people who run our political system prefer?” is sitting right there unexamined. It’s bananas! It’s cargo cult analysis. Be smarter than David Brooks: it doesn’t pay, but it feels alright.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

none of these articles mention the Fundy shitstains taking over every level of government and the dumbass "suburban parents" go along with them

Ayyeee contempt great way to get people to vote.

Parents have been miserable because of the poo poo pandemic response for almost two years.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

How is recognizing the fact the US is moving in an authoritarian direction "doomerism" and cause to just "be optimistic :) :) :)"

Tons of democratic countries have gone autocratic recently, the US isn't special.

It is a pretty huge and decentralized political entity compared to those countries, though. Doesn't mean full-on fascism can't happen here, just means it can/will play out differently, and balkanization is more of a possibility.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Parents have been miserable because of the poo poo pandemic response for almost two years.

I don't think the articles are written with the aim of getting people to vote

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

'Calvanist-but-for-civics' is exactly how I would describe the the pervading liberal attitude.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

I'm wildly jealous you can make a point like this so succinctly. Nice.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Dems self-sabotage on immigration policy, minimum wage and police reform are definitely not helping either.

I think this is because of that old meme where "The problems are bad, but the causes - the causes are good" comes in. In order to actually fix things that they rail against, they would need to fundamentally change things, and there's no appetite for that in the establishment. So the only thing you can really do is ride the public opinion wave to a point and then do everything in your power as damage control for why the end result doesn't deliver without admitting it's because you never actually wanted it to.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I think I understand your point and agree with it, but just to make sure, what do you mean by "acted-upon?"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Peter Daou Zen posted:

A. Biden is older, yet still president. So Kamala 2024 or...?
B. How is Trump senile, but Biden is not senile by this metric?
C. Was it?
D. Anyday now. . .

...When did I say Biden wasn't old and senile by this definition? Yeah he is. Most of Congress and the Supreme Court are. Ghouls run everything.

Uh yeah duder: he eats like complete poo poo and pretty obviously had a heart attack at that Christmas lighting thing where they rushed him to Walter Reed, and he barely sleeps.

It doesn't matter if he's indicted: it's the stress it puts on his damaged brain and heart not to mention his lungs are hosed: unless you think Regeneron works like the Lazarus Pits from Bat Man

I realize you are basking in the Afterglow of another successful "own the libs" moment brought to us by another tried and true Clintonite, but do try to be a bit less frisky and stupid eh?

For the record I don't think Biden makes it 2024 either

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Thanks to the Dems being cowards and not being able to pass any legistlation and being complete cucks to two senators and can’t punish them it’s pretty much guaranteed at this point the republicans will sweep 2022 and trump will be president again in 2024 better come to terms with that from now

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks to the Dems being cowards and not being able to pass any legistlation and being complete cucks to two senators and can’t punish them it’s pretty much guaranteed at this point the republicans will sweep 2022 and trump will be president again in 2024 better come to terms with that from now

And because Breyer refuses to retire to allow a younger replacement to come in, once Trump is elected in 2024, he'll get to add another far-right justice, making it a 7-2 conservative SCOTUS.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I liked this point that Stoller made; it's getting at what I was describing in my prior post but does it very succinctly:

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1455658669434093575

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

What could have been done differently with schools? I mean, they kinda had to close with this pandemic. Yes that absolutely sucks for parents but what was the alternative? Just send thousands to their deaths?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Flying-PCP posted:

I don't think the articles are written with the aim of getting people to vote

For years I’ve been repeating one interpretation of the story of Jesus and the Fig tree in D&D.

It didn’t matter if it’s the season for figs, people are hungry right now and will drat you if you are not bearing fruit.

This is to say if a need if being fulfilled poorly or is unfulfilled entirely the demographic group that occurs in gets angry or apathetic and then can be targeted by propagandists who want to attach racism or just magnify apathy and anger.

Not doing a poo poo job and adequately supporting them gets people to vote. Half assed poo poo that fails to support them along with a dose of contempt for the issue opens the door for racism and revolutionary romantics.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

What could have been done differently with schools? I mean, they kinda had to close with this pandemic. Yes that absolutely sucks for parents but what was the alternative? Just send thousands to their deaths?

Parents had to contend with a society that was organized around their children being away from the home and watched over for a significant portion of the work day, then we took that away from them and expected them to just magically pick up the slack and we gave them literally nothing to deal with the new reality. Many things could have been done to allow parents to say, take a sabbatical from work and focus on caring for their children, cut back on their hours, or just flat out just leave work for the duration.

Instead we gave them 1400 dollars, told them it was somehow 2000 and expected that to be enough to suddenly deal with the massive burden of child care and work at the same time.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Inferior Third Season posted:

But make no mistake - across the world, there are far more public health systems being dismantled than being built. More attacks on the working class than protections being put into place for them. More draconian restrictions on immigration than welcoming arms.

I'm kind of curious about this point. Are there any major countries that have been launching significant social welfare programs in the past decade or two?

My impression is that, globally, the vast majority of those programs were launched between 1910 and 1980, mostly after World War II, and most countries' current status is more rooted on how far they went during that time period than what their current populations/elections look like.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

Pay people with kids to stay home, or to go half time. This can’t happen under a system so tightly in the grip of capital, though. There are multiple fallback systems in place to prevent threats to the status quo from occurring.

It is better for capital that either thousands die, or that the response is so shoddy that people have even less faith in public institutions. It is absolutely unacceptable to capital to allow the government to ease the burden on parents significantly. That’s why neither party has many if any voices willing to speak to the reasons why both parents have to work outside the home now, why even if you do everything right your kid can get a lovely education and you go bankrupt because you got sick or hit by a truck. There’s no honest voices out there capable of countering the hegemonic message that You’re On Your Own

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Fundies hate anyone to the left of David Duke. "poo poo pandemic response" to these morons has always been "open er' up, let Jesus decide who lives, my kids need free babysitters while I get enraged reading Brietbart/R-Donald all day"

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 3, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

No we'll just run snappy ads condescendingly explaining senate procedure and the importance of decorum in letting legislators who dumpster your party's agenda chair powerful committees without any consequences, and that's why you have to vote blue no matter who to dilute Manchin and Sinema's power with more Manchins and Sinemas that the DSCC cleared the field for in the primaries because we need to move to the right, and then they will finally pass all the good stuff you've been waiting for like deficit reduction and means tested student loan forgiveness for entrepreneurs with Pell Grants who started a small business in a disadvantaged neighborhood.

Midterms are in the bag

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

Nah.

Not being stupid works. Turns out masks with reasonable distancing NPIs are really effective when community spread is under control (which ya know mandating masks indoors will mostly do) even with Delta.

Two months in my district (about 8000 students/ staff) looks like the below. Minimal cases and the majority of them picked up outside of school.

what on earth could we have done differently? The bare loving minimum, which hey eventually happened in a few places which gives us the data to know that it worked. And lol American Academy of Pediatrics made the right argument way way back at the beginning.

This is all of course the GOPs fault too, but it should be obvious why that doesn’t matter.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Nah.

Not being stupid works. Turns out masks with reasonable distancing NPIs are really effective when community spread is under control (which ya know mandating masks indoors will mostly do) even with Delta.

Two months in my district (about 8000 students/ staff) looks like the below. Minimal cases and the majority of them picked up outside of school.

what on earth could we have done differently? The bare loving minimum, which hey eventually happened in a few places which gives us the data to know that it worked. And lol American Academy of Pediatrics made the right argument way way back at the beginning.

This is all of course the GOPs fault too, but it should be obvious why that doesn’t matter.

I feel like people were out of their minds over mask mandates as well. but maybe fewer of them. Although I do mostly agree with these takes now that I think about it. If schools could stay open with masks (a big if) then that should have been done, but also if they couldn't yeah you gotta provide a lot more for parents that now have hosed up work situations.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Parents had to contend with a society that was organized around their children being away from the home and watched over for a significant portion of the work day, then we took that away from them and expected them to just magically pick up the slack and we gave them literally nothing to deal with the new reality. Many things could have been done to allow parents to say, take a sabbatical from work and focus on caring for their children, cut back on their hours, or just flat out just leave work for the duration.

Instead we gave them 1400 dollars, told them it was somehow 2000 and expected that to be enough to suddenly deal with the massive burden of child care and work at the same time.

selec posted:

Pay people with kids to stay home, or to go half time. This can’t happen under a system so tightly in the grip of capital, though. There are multiple fallback systems in place to prevent threats to the status quo from occurring.

It is better for capital that either thousands die, or that the response is so shoddy that people have even less faith in public institutions. It is absolutely unacceptable to capital to allow the government to ease the burden on parents significantly. That’s why neither party has many if any voices willing to speak to the reasons why both parents have to work outside the home now, why even if you do everything right your kid can get a lovely education and you go bankrupt because you got sick or hit by a truck. There’s no honest voices out there capable of countering the hegemonic message that You’re On Your Own

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TulliusCicero posted:

...When did I say Biden wasn't old and senile by this definition? Yeah he is. Most of Congress and the Supreme Court are. Ghouls run everything.

Uh yeah duder: he eats like complete poo poo and pretty obviously had a heart attack at that Christmas lighting thing where they rushed him to Walter Reed, and he barely sleeps.

It doesn't matter if he's indicted: it's the stress it puts on his damaged brain and heart not to mention his lungs are hosed: unless you think Regeneron works like the Lazarus Pits from Bat Man

I realize you are basking in the Afterglow of another successful "own the libs" moment brought to us by another tried and true Clintonite, but do try to be a bit less frisky and stupid eh?

For the record I don't think Biden makes it 2024 either

Pointing out obvious facts is "owning the libs?" The Libs own themselves.

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1455930209904037889?s=20

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Murphy is barely going to win in a state that Biden won by 16

This doesn’t bode well for states that aren’t solid blue

Can we extrapolate much from NJ? Having lived here most of my life, we make a pretty regular pattern of flipping back and forth between R and D governors. Like this election appears to be the first time since Reagan that we've elected a governor of the same party as the sitting president:
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_governors_of_New_Jersey

For example NJ went for Obama by 15-16%, and then in the next gubernatorial election went for Christie by 3-4%

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Parents create antivaxism, antivaxism creates pandemic, pandemic creates school closures, school closures enrage parents, parents fuel fascism.

You were all warned about the breeders!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think I understand your point and agree with it, but just to make sure, what do you mean by "acted-upon?"

I mean election results are downstream of layers of powerful machinery involved and voters as a mass group react to stimuli passed to them from upstream

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Nah.

While I agree that we should have done the bare minimum, early on in the pandemic, it was absolutely the correct call to close schools until more information on Covid was available. Obviously there should have been federal support to ease the difficulties parents had with school closures.

And the AAP started calling for a return to school, with suitable protective measures, in Summer 2020, not at the beginning, in time for the 2020-2021 school year. I would also say that people should always evaluate the AAP's recommendations with a bit of skepticism, because they've had insurance company corporate elements involved with decision making for some time now. My wife works as a pediatric nurse practitioner at a large children's hospital and the group she works in (Pulmonology) has found some of the AAP's guidance over the last year+ troubling, to say the least.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I don't like the narrative that the VA dems were super progressive or that Americans are just inherently conservative. I'm sure they passed some good stuff in VA but people are greedy, like I personally don't give a poo poo about the price of insulin or whatever culture war poo poo is going on about bathrooms and same thing about tax credits for kids. The dems need to actually address peoples material needs, put 600 dollars in my account monthly, give me housing, legalize weed and mail me an oz of dope a month. Actually do some poo poo you can point towards and say look at what we did and will get people pissed if its taken away from them

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

I feel like people were out of their minds over mask mandates as well. but maybe fewer of them. Although I do mostly agree with these takes now that I think about it. If schools could stay open with masks (a big if) then that should have been done, but also if they couldn't yeah you gotta provide a lot more for parents that now have hosed up work situations.

Like even if you consider that pie-in-the-sky unrealistic, the bare minimum you could do is run a campaign that doesn't tell angry frustrated parents "you shouldn't have a say in your childs education"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bizarre to claim people who bought into a very recent racist hysteria (whose progenitor admitted what he was doing months ago) are expressing some legitimate grievance about remote learning.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Terminal autist posted:

I don't like the narrative that the VA dems were super progressive or that Americans are just inherently conservative. I'm sure they passed some good stuff in VA but people are greedy, like I personally don't give a poo poo about the price of insulin or whatever culture war poo poo is going on about bathrooms and same thing about tax credits for kids. The dems need to actually address peoples material needs, put 600 dollars in my account monthly, give me housing, legalize weed and mail me an oz of dope a month. Actually do some poo poo you can point towards and say look at what we did and will get people pissed if its taken away from them

"Hello, I don't care about diabetics dying because they can't afford drugs, or trans people being murdered. Wake me up when I can have some weed. Yes, I am the true leftist here"

That's quite the lovely view to have.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Like even if you consider that pie-in-the-sky unrealistic, the bare minimum you could do is run a campaign that doesn't tell angry frustrated parents "you shouldn't have a say in your childs education"

yeah, no poo poo. That was a total unforced error which might have, by itself, changed the result of VA last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
all I know for certain about 2024 is that Kristi Noem is going to run for VP