Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dude why do you play monster collecting games the way i played persona 4 when i was 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

mycot posted:

I'm surprised everyone is bugging out about the Pokemon post I thought everyone has a save file with a level 99 starter at least once (even if this is more likely to happen when you're, like, five)

big boss the furret got me through intro physics

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i can't believe youngster joey grew up to be barudak

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I was feeling nostalgic for Shining Force today and found out somebodies making a mobile game based on the genesis entries that comes out in around a half a year and while I don't really think it will even be translated It kinda made me happy just to see it regardless?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZHqyrLjerw

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

mycot posted:

I'm surprised everyone is bugging out about the Pokemon post I thought everyone has a save file with a level 99 starter at least once (even if this is more likely to happen when you're, like, five)

The max level in Pokemon is 100, you fraud!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
honestly, not collecting/fusing demons in smt games is like not buying equipment or using skills in other rpgs. why?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

mycot posted:

Yeah I feel you. I never did this myself because I was the kid who was obsessed over having all 6 of my pokemon be the exact same level, but there were plenty of other kids who just beat Red with like a level 100 Charizard.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The Colonel posted:

dude why do you play monster collecting games the way i played persona 4 when i was 13

That's how I still play persona games. Give me a wiki and a fusion calculator, I don't want to waste time experimenting.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you don't have to experiment, they've included reverse fusion search ever since like persona 4 golden

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Barudak posted:

As was mentioned above unless you go looking super deep into the hardcore end, all the mainstream big name RPGs are pretty much safe choices. I guess maybe hold off on Shin Megami Tensei V if you've been eyeing that.

If you want a nice short and snappy little thing I'd suggest Cosmic Star Heroine but, really, we'd probably want some more details of what you want since there are just so many choices now a days. Turn based or real time? Story heavy or light? Monster collection or static party?
I'm so far removed from JPRGs that I don't have a preference for any of those categories, honestly. My favorite of all time is probably Pokémon Silver, followed by DQ11. Beyond those I don't think I've ever bothered to play a JRPG to completion - I haven't even thought about it in maybe 13 years. I'm open to anything interesting, that won't require grinding or pixel hunting.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zurtilik posted:

If you have NSO there's the two Breath of Fire's on the SNES. If you have the NSO expansion there's Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force as well. Though with retro JRPGs come retro issues!

If you have the Mega Drive Sega collection, you can also add Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force II, Phantasy Stat II and Phantasy Star III to the pile. Phantasy Star I is also available, on Switch if you pay Sega extra.

Though I heartily recommend playing Phantasy Star IV on NSO, because the collection's idea of save states is rather clunky. The fast save option is also kind of weird, just tip the stick the wrong way for a second and you reload instead of saving. Very annoying if that happens.

Like always, Nintendo does what Sega doesn'T

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

beer gas canister posted:

I'm so far removed from JPRGs that I don't have a preference for any of those categories, honestly. My favorite of all time is probably Pokémon Silver, followed by DQ11. Beyond those I don't think I've ever bothered to play a JRPG to completion - I haven't even thought about it in maybe 13 years. I'm open to anything interesting, that won't require grinding or pixel hunting.

can't go wrong with skies of arcadia!!! (it does have a high random encounter rate though)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caidin posted:

I was feeling nostalgic for Shining Force today and found out somebodies making a mobile game based on the genesis entries that comes out in around a half a year and while I don't really think it will even be translated It kinda made me happy just to see it regardless?

As someone who had Shining Force as the first RPG they ever played through and loves and cherishes the franchise with all of my heart, I'm filled with trepidation because I'm pretty convinced it will be a gacha game.

I guess at the least it doesn't look like they're half-assing it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
gotta catch em, some of em, only a few of em
pokemon!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Barudak posted:

If I'm not going to use them, I don't want to catch them. Usually I catch 1-2 during the course of the game to type cover for my starter in a gym/gym equivalent battle and then the remaining ones when I need more meat for the Elite 4. This also means I don't usually even have a full roster of pokemon when I finish the game. For example I did Gold/Silver having three pokemon, two of whom existed entirely for HMs and taking punches for my level 99 Typhlosion.

There is a reason I really like DDS and #FE so much in the SMT franchise.

Ahhhh, okay this is making a lot more sense now. That's basically how I played Pokemon Yellow when I was like, 7 because I didn't have any concept of strategy at all at the time. And probably a lot of Gold too, aside from getting an Ampharos to deal with the rival's Feraligator.

But on the other hand I didn't get that I was supposed to name them myself, so I just go randomly drawn into a battle with ??? while I was just trying to beat the gym leaders.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

At least the Pokemon games pretty much tell you that you can't play it like the anime and actually win.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Looper posted:

can't go wrong with skies of arcadia!!! (it does have a high random encounter rate though)

hate to say it but i can't stand random encounters. if i could i'd be playing all the old classics but i just can't tolerate it these days. sometimes i just want to walk quickly back to town from the dungeon, because i am often high on weed while playing video games and have forgotten to buy potions

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

anakha posted:

At least the Pokemon games pretty much tell you that you can't play it like the anime and actually win.

nonsense, if I keep using thundershock on this onix the sprinkler system will kick in any minute now

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Deltasquid posted:

I understand Barudak's point of view. I also play civ without researching anything, and Skyrim without picking up any items.

no but seriously are Pokémon and SMT even enjoyable like this? Your playstyle sounds like gimmicky challenge runs that by all rights shouldn't be possible without an absurd amount of grind.

When I played Pokemon, I basically just had one main. That Blastoise carried me through the whole game, I loved my battle turtle buddy. I could not beat my post-elite-four rival's Venosaur by spamming Struggle, and I didn't have items to restock my skill uses... so rather than tediously training up a plant type counter, I restarted the game and soloed it all the way through with Bulbasaur. My level 7 Pidgey entered the Hall of Fame.

I also bailed on SMT games several times because mulching my demon pals seemed kinda rude after they'd been so nice and helpful.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Demons love being fused you're doing them a favor

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I'm not gonna strap my buddy Jack Frost to an electric chair to turn him into a hat. He said that he's me, and getting electrified sounds like it would hurt me a lot! I'm sure if I unleash the Bufe on random monsters for a few hours, he can make it to big leagues. And that's.... only two episodes of TrashFuture. Hell yeah!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

nonsense, if I keep using thundershock on this onix the sprinkler system will kick in any minute now

I could've swore it did work in Gen 1 though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the pc ports of the psx final fantasy games have random encounter toggles if you're fine with them as long as you're able to disable them

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Trails in the Sky or Trails of Cold Steel games really do not need grinding (and doing so does not really help much anyways), do not have random encounters, and feel a lot like Dragon Quest. They are a little slower paced and involve a lot of talking with NPCs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I could've swore it did work in Gen 1 though.

There were many bugs, but that wasn't one of them. You misremember, I'm afraid.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

speaking of: most rpgs that people think "need" grinding actually don't and lots of people are just somehow deeply conditioned into expecting a grind in every RPG they play so they just grind pointlessly without even trying not to

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Amppelix posted:

speaking of: most rpgs that people think "need" grinding actually don't and lots of people are just somehow deeply conditioned into expecting a grind in every RPG they play so they just grind pointlessly without even trying not to

:hai:

I actually can't remember the last rpg I played where I felt grinding was mandatory and I play a heck of a lot of them. Outside of post-game content of course, but if you're doing that you're really committed to the game anyways.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah at best it was like what, NES era and I guess grindy throwbacks? More often than not if an RPG has that nowadays it's just poorly balanced or has a bad difficulty spike somewhere, and there might be an alternative out of the way solution to deal with that than forcing a grind. It's not really common to see mandatory grinding anymore.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
even if the game does expect you to grind, you can usually beat it without grinding, anyways. It's just a difficulty slider.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

even if the game does expect you to grind, you can usually beat it without grinding, anyways. It's just a difficulty slider.

Heck, a lot of rpgs have mechanics a lot of the players just never engage with that would make things many times easier if they did that instead of grinding away!

Unless they enjoy grinding, then more power to those folks

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah outside of like Dragon Quest 1 and 2 I can't really think of any games that really have mandatory grinding to be able to complete the game.

A lot of games people spent a ton of time grinding out back in the day absolutely did not require it, it just let you faceroll things instead of engaging with mechanics.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Caidin posted:

It was confirmed to be a global release. To answer another post - it is 100% a gacha game.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/shining-force-heroes-of-light-and-darkness-announced-for-mobile

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah outside of like Dragon Quest 1 and 2 I can't really think of any games that really have mandatory grinding to be able to complete the game.

A lot of games people spent a ton of time grinding out back in the day absolutely did not require it, it just let you faceroll things instead of engaging with mechanics.

Being able to faceroll things is kinda fun, tho. Not only do you get Number Go Up, stomping all over a demon army that you know could have been threatening before is pretty satisfying.

Podcasts might be the best thing to have happened to tradRPGs, I don't think I'd have the patience to repeat 100 encounters without them, but it's really nice to have something simple to work on while you're listening to something a little more engaging.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

for a recent game that absolutely, positively, no-questions-asked actually needs grinding in the intended playthrough, see Yakuza 7. maybe that's just part of the dragon quest reference.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i liked grinding in smt games to achieve a tangible short term strategic goal, like getting walled by matador and making a null force demon to help relieve the pressure a bit

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I always grind in FFXII because there's systems to facilitate grinding even if not strictly necessary.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

In most games, grinding becomes necessary if you take pains to flee or avoid most battles and fall behind the intended level curve. That kind of "makeup grind" is both self-inflicted and intuitive, but it can catch people new to the genre -- I recall it happening to me in FFIV, one of the first RPGs I played.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rascyc posted:

It was confirmed to be a global release. To answer another post - it is 100% a gacha game.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/shining-force-heroes-of-light-and-darkness-announced-for-mobile

I withstood the call of Fire Emblem Heros, all the FF gacha's and a so many others... but if they offer me a chance at Slade the rat in a limited time Halloween costume my childhood demands I achieve by any and all means.

Still looks nice anyway.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
srpgs + gacha is a combo that can work pretty well. like i fell off of langrisser because it was a bit of a grind time but it was just a solid srpg in the sprg respects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Snooze Cruise posted:

srpgs + gacha is a combo that can work pretty well. like i fell off of langrisser because it was a bit of a grind time but it was just a solid srpg in the sprg respects
Yeah, I really liked Langrisser. All of the solo PvE stuff felt reasonably well done, but the whole meta grind aspect of it coupled with 30 to 60 minute long fights on a rotating schedule really was a bridge too far for my time. I keep thinking of picking it back up but haven't looked into it since they added those leaderboard bosses.