Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

spouse posted:

I am fine ignoring the rule of law so long as it benefits the people I care about, and once that floodgate is open there is absolutely nothing bad that will happen as a result. Pendulums only swing one direction, after all.

The pendulum already swung right, and a whole bunch of people are pushing to the right to prevent a leftward backswing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Sanguinia posted:

Ah yes, notoriously bad societal practice "The Rule of Law." What we really need is more Ceasars in modern politics.

The Rule of Law, as it exists, throws more people in jail than any other country and empowers police officers to murder with 0 repercussions. People don't want to return to that Rule of Law because it's poo poo. They want a new rule of law that Joe has so far been unable to provide.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've already said this, but the rule of law should not be something our politicians hide behind to justify their inaction, which is what Biden is doing. Writing an executive order that the courts will challenge isn't some gross breach of liberal democracy that will inexorably lead to absolute tyranny. This is a stupid argument that sounds more and more like an excuse the more I hear it.

He should issue executive orders and force the courts to challenge them. Make the American people see that they're the problem, not him. To do otherwise is indolence, not wisdom.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Valentin posted:

And had they been done by more competent lawyers, way more of them would have gotten through. See this, and the WP analysis it's leaning on.

That Trump failed does not mean the law would not have accommodated him had his administration made the slightest gesture towards following the niceties of the law. Also, many more of the judges that will be assessing these questions now are Trump appointees, so relying on the courts to uphold the rule of law (as people here understand it) moving forward seems unwise.

Also yeah a lot of Trump's failures are due to him being dumb as hell rather than the noble U.S institutions holding him back. If he was capable of even the barest amount of subtlety things could have been way, way worse.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sharkie posted:

Democratic Party members when a Democratic President is in office: "He can't do anything! Don't you see the president is very weak and is trapped in an Iron Cage of Law?!"

Decocratic Party members when a Repub is in office: "Oh no! Somehow the president has broken through the Iron Cage of Law?! And is doing all kinds of things! Gotta vote Democratic to help rebuild the Law Cage"

I'm actually with Sharkie here, most of the way. Law is mostly fiction, as is money. It's all just a pieces of paper that prevent us from living good lives but somehow never applies to certain rich classes of people. I don't expect Biden to ever go "lmao law is fake though."

At the very loving least, Biden should try to be aggressive with executive action to see what he can get away with, within that fiction. Like, for instance, rescheduling MJ. If the law wizards say he doesn't have authority, then so be it. The "oh, we don't have authority to even try" is just an excuse to not do things he doesn't want to do.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

How are u posted:

Hey folks I would like to plug again the new podcast series Offline, all about how the internet has poisoned our discourse both offline and on, and amplified the worst tendencies of humanity. This week's guest was Monica Lewinkski, who had a lot of real thoughtful things to say about it all.

I'm really digging the conversations, I think it's all extremely applicable to our lives.

https://crooked.com/podcast-series/offline/

lmao of course Jia Tolentino went on there; online didn’t let her get away with explaining away her parents crimes when she tried to write them off

https://www.wearyourvoicemag.com/jia-tolentino-parents-teachers-harmed/

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/maxberger/status/1455631714215202821?s=21

It’s poo poo like this that shows you who exactly the democrats are supporting

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

spouse posted:

I am fine ignoring the rule of law so long as it benefits the people I care about, and once that floodgate is open there is absolutely nothing bad that will happen as a result. Pendulums only swing one direction, after all.

How is removing the filibuster or replacing the parliamentarian ignoring the rule of law?

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

How is removing the filibuster or replacing the parliamentarian ignoring the rule of law?

it's ignoring the rule of law in spirit

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1455716232007757825/photo/2
At the very least, next time the democratic party should not run ads for their opponent lol

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Police_monitoring posted:

it's ignoring the rule of law in spirit

Jesus gently caress is this a serious post?

The filibuster and parliamentarian are made up constructs, made up by the body they supposedly "govern."

Constitution says that the House and Senate set their own rules, the only Constitutional limitation on their own proceedings is that rules get set by majority vote. 50+1 can decide to do literally anything they want procedurally.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

The Rule of Law: resuming student loan payments that have been on hold for 22 months for no reason other than pure generational strife and bootstraps.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fancy Pelosi posted:

Just think, if Obama had broken the law to get things passed, then that would have opened the floodgates for Trump to break the law while he was in office. Thankfully, we had the rule of law to keep Trump in check.

I get what you're saying, but I think the more salient point is Obama did break the law in spirit ("secret deliberations within the executive branch where we all agreed 'yep lets murder this American citizen' is 'due process'" lol) and in letter (illegal wiretapping, retaliating against whistle-blowers on said illegal surveillance) but because he did it for bad things to benefit bad people liberals don't care about thaaaaaat

They only suddenly get a boner for The Rule Of Law or even just Tradition when someone asks why the president isn't even trying to do anything good. "Well it must be illegal or the guy who created student debt peonage in the first place and constantly voted to slash bankruptcy protections for everyone who isn't a business over his entire career would surely do something about the mess he happily created in the first place" they insist, desperately pasting together the pieces of their cracking worldview

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 3, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Booourns posted:

At the very least, next time the democratic party should not run ads for their opponent lol

The fact that there are any dems at all that think that Trump is somehow unpopular with republicans is one of the most deranged things this year.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

What if the thing that governed society was material conditions - i.e. the system by which we produce and distribute the commodities that sustain our society and reproduce our social relations, which is run by and for those who have ownership of the productive capital - and not some words written on a piece of paper a long time ago?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Srice posted:

The fact that there are any dems at all that think that Trump is somehow unpopular with republicans is one of the most deranged things this year.

Apparently they sent those ads to Democratic voters to scare them

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Booourns posted:

just incredible

Normy posted:

just incredibly dumb

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Herstory Begins Now posted:

just incredible

just incredibly dumb

or, hear me out, they're the same party! :tinfoil:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Yinlock posted:

The correlation seems fairly substantive. Biden's current poll numbers are dipping precisely because his administration are somewhat justifiably seen as do-nothings, while Trump was actually clawing his approval back up via actively fighting for things he wanted(even if those things were all horrible) until the pandemic really hit and he nosedived again

Is that true? The big decline in approval over time I see coincides with the best thing he's done as president: pull out from Afghanistan

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Booourns posted:

IIRC, Hillary’s campaign did something like this during the GOP primary

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just because the campaign was bad doesn't mean every individual thing they did was bad; sending those in a way that is targeted towards people who do not like Trump probably isn't the worst idea. If you're going to make your whole campaign "try to frame this conservative cosplaying as a moderate as a Trump acolyte," as McAuliffe inadvisedly did, then it's probably a good idea.

The problem, though, is that the overall campaign strategy sucked, rather than that particular implementation of it. Just more money spent not making an affirmative case to vote for Democrats.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Normy posted:

Considering the state went +10 Biden, it wasn't a bad initial assumption to assume that tying Trump into the race would actually help Dems. The problem was that they kept doubling down on this while Youngkin managed a pretty good balancing act of appearing both completely separate from Trump and also Trump's favorite candidate. I'm guessing they were betting he wouldn't be able to keep his mask on the whole race, but it's a strategy that they were complete idiots for not reworking after a bit.

Really I'm not sure it had anything to do with how the race turned out, it may even have worked for bringing up Dem turnout and the thing that sunk them was solely schools. Because boy is everyone really mad about schools, on both sides. The COVID measures for reopening were so half assed that schools were/are constantly shifting their guidelines and policies and going from online to in person back to online. They just didn't do enough and didn't have a strong statewide response.

Edit: The CRT stuff is bait, but it works because parents have many other genuine issues with schools and school districts that never end up being addressed or fixed. The school system is hosed and everyone knows it, but COVID forced them to deal with it's inadequacies way more than normal and made it a very in your face directly impacting you issue.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 3, 2021

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Delthalaz posted:

Is that true? The big decline in approval over time I see coincides with the best thing he's done as president: pull out from Afghanistan

That just made us LOSERS.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Ah yes, notoriously bad societal practice "The Rule of Law." What we really need is more Ceasars in modern politics.

Caesar was assassinated because he liked to give money and food to the poor people, which endeared them to him, because the rich had gobbled up all the land and revenue streams available to normal people. Also because he thought the dirty Gauls and other conquered people should have a say in the legal system of Rome, which would threaten the stranglehold of the patriarchs and senators. Frankly Caesar kind of gets a bad rap. Maybe more Caesars who weren't constrained by the Rule of Law and were willing to expand their voter base through public welfare would indeed be beneficial.

Also all you dweebs saying the president can't make weed legal, he could just direct the DOJ and the federal government to just ignore the law and pretend it doesn't exist, but he won't even do that for his own campaign workers who thought they might have a shot.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mellow Seas posted:

Just because the campaign was bad doesn't mean every individual thing they did was bad; sending those in a way that is targeted towards people who do not like Trump probably isn't the worst idea. If you're going to make your whole campaign "try to frame this conservative cosplaying as a moderate as a Trump acolyte," as McAuliffe inadvisedly did, then it's probably a good idea.

The problem, though, is that the overall campaign strategy sucked, rather than that particular implementation of it. Just more money spent not making an affirmative case to vote for Democrats.

counterpoint: there's a way of going negative that isn't literally sending out promotional materials for your opponent.

also how many dems in 2021 aren't actively connecting republicans to all the bad poo poo the gop stands for

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

counterpoint: there's a way of going negative that isn't literally sending out promotional materials for your opponent.

also how many dems in 2021 aren't actively connecting republicans to all the bad poo poo the gop stands for

The party leadership and cash-base lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The mailers I got from the Youngkin campaign emphasized over and over that Terry McAuliffe thinks parents are stupid and should have no say in what's taught in public schools.

Zeron posted:

Considering the state went +10 Biden, it wasn't a bad initial assumption to assume that tying Trump into the race would actually help Dems. The problem was that they kept doubling down on this while Youngkin managed a pretty good balancing act of appearing both completely separate from Trump and also Trump's favorite candidate. I'm guessing they were betting he wouldn't be able to keep his mask on the whole race, but it's a strategy that they were complete idiots for not reworking after a bit.
Betting on a VA politician to sink his own campaign with a Macaca Moment seems like a bad strategy, considering Northam did it and won.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 3, 2021

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
This isn't in response to any particular person, and isn't directly relevant to the rescheduling talk, but is kind of interesting context: in terms of bureaucrats doing things the slow way, the news made the rounds a few weeks ago that DEA is looking to significantly increase the legal production of weed and a bunch of other schedule 1-2 drugs for research due to increasing medical interest.

quote:

Based on the increase in research and clinical trial applications, DEA has proposed increases in 3,4-Methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA), 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), 5-Methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine, Dimethyltryptamine, Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), Marihuana, Marihuana Extract, Mescaline, Psilocybin, Psilocyn, and All Other Tetrahydrocannabinols to support manufacturing activities related to the increased level of research and clinical trials with these schedule I controlled substances.

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...d-assessment-of

Several of the increases are in the triple or quadruple digit percentages. Five hundred grams of LSD is quite a bit of LSD.

As far as unilateral executive action, here's a Brookings article from 2016 regarding rescheduling and emphasizing, among other things, that in their view strong public approval for Obama's (in)actions under enforcement discretion meant they were likely to stick. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixg...-state-systems/ I mention it not so much for the rescheduling content but because it's the Brookings Institute enthusiastically supporting a regulatory scheme allowing for blatant violation of the laws on the books.

e: grammar

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 3, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

*makes campaign ads for my opponent*
"Look hear me out here: those were really good ads. He won didn't he, poo poo my ads were so good I almost voted for him"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yinlock posted:

The correlation seems fairly substantive. Biden's current poll numbers are dipping precisely because his administration are somewhat justifiably seen as do-nothings, while Trump was actually clawing his approval back up via actively fighting for things he wanted(even if those things were all horrible) until the pandemic really hit and he nosedived again

e:

A lot of things people are suggesting isn't even ignoring the rule of law, it's just being rude. When Trump was stumbling around breaking things we learned that a lot of rules are actually just established norms and there's no real punishment for breaking them.

...I can't believe I'm loving saying this, but I'm actually going to give Trump something resembling a compliment:

The loving demented motherfucker was Evil but he loving tried. He fought to get his sick gently caress agenda passed. He actually got parts of it codified, even if temporary. He was aggressive as President, and it loving worked

The Dems are on a ruddlerless ship being steered by Capitalist Mr. Magoo, they could have passed this loving poo poo in September to massive applause, but they let complete loving morons and stooges like Manchin and Sinema hold everything up. And where the gently caress are the Executive Orders? Motherfucker you could wipe out student debt and legalize weed in a day, and be the most popular President in a 100 loving years.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

*makes campaign ads for my opponent*
"Look hear me out here: those were really good ads. He won didn't he, poo poo my ads were so good I almost voted for him"
It's laundering a negative message from McAuliffe (Youngkin is JUST LIKE TRUMP!) as a positive-but-damaging message from Youngkin. Like I said, probably not the most efficient use of campaign dollars, but it's not out of bounds and it's definitely not why McAuliffe lost the race. I sincerely doubt that sending those to mailing lists of Democratic voters made people vote for Youngkin, and it's plausible that it helped with turnout a little bit.

This isn't a strategy that was invented by Terry McAuliffe, or probably even by Democrats, and I don't want to let his lovely campaign consultants off the hook; they absolutely lost the race. But that ain't it.

Pretty sure McAuliffe did those too, the problem (and I don't live in VA so I'm just basing this on what I've heard) is that he didn't promote enough his accomplishments when he was Governor or talk very much about his plans for his second term. All anti-Trump messaging and stupid reactions to Republican messaging.

I recall seeing an exit poll number yesterday that was like 72% "voted for my candidate" vs 28% "voted against the other". Not sure how that compares to your typical election, but McAuliffe needed to make a better case for himself.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 3, 2021

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If Biden legalized weed , how would he get legal slavery in prison to prop up the economy ?

If he erased student debt (which he could do but won’t) how would he show his utter spite and contempt for millennials?

People say Trump is hateful , but Biden is extremely toxic and hateful.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is it really that dumb to try to tie a politician to another incredibly unpopular politician?

Hold on I'm getting word about the 2020 election...

HE GOT HOW MANY VOTES?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

I get what you're saying, but I think the more salient point is Obama did break the law in spirit ("secret deliberations within the executive branch where we all agreed 'yep lets murder this American citizen' is 'due process'" lol) and in letter (illegal wiretapping, retaliating against whistle-blowers on said illegal surveillance) but because he did it for bad things to benefit bad people liberals don't care about thaaaaaat

They only suddenly get a boner for The Rule Of Law or even just Tradition when someone asks why the president isn't even trying to do anything good. "Well it must be illegal or the guy who created student debt peonage in the first place and constantly voted to slash bankruptcy protections for everyone who isn't a business over his entire career would surely do something about the mess he happily created in the first place" they insist, desperately pasting together the pieces of their cracking worldview

Piggybacking on this: the Biden administration has been weaponizing public health laws to deport as many immigrants as possible. It had been ruled illegal, but the administration appealed that decision continued to fight for it in appeals and got a judge to overturn the ruling that they had to stop

That, to me, is what an administration exercising power looks like. They didn't spend endless time navel-gazing over legal memos, they just moved with alacrity to do something they wanted to do and bent the law to their will, and the justifications are all post hoc

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

...I can't believe I'm loving saying this, but I'm actually going to give Trump something resembling a compliment:

The loving demented motherfucker was Evil but he loving tried. He fought to get his sick gently caress agenda passed. He actually got parts of it codified, even if temporary. He was aggressive as President, and it loving worked

The Dems are on a ruddlerless ship being steered by Capitalist Mr. Magoo, they could have passed this loving poo poo in September to massive applause, but they let complete loving morons and stooges like Manchin and Sinema hold everything up. And where the gently caress are the Executive Orders? Motherfucker you could wipe out student debt and legalize weed in a day, and be the most popular President in a 100 loving years.

read the thread before kramering in with a hot take that biden could just legalize weed with an executive order when the last 2 pages have been about why he can't do that because laws are a thing

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So has congress said jack poo poo about reconciliation today after last nights poo poo show?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Piggybacking on this: the Biden administration has been weaponizing public health laws to deport as many immigrants as possible. It had been ruled illegal, but the administration appealed that decision continued to fight for it in appeals and got a judge to overturn the ruling that they had to stop

That, to me, is what an administration exercising power looks like. They didn't spend endless time navel-gazing over legal memos, they just moved with alacrity to do something they wanted to do and bent the law to their will, and the justifications are all post hoc

In the end, rich people get what they want. The ruling class gets what it wants. It’s only the little people who have to fight the system, and keep losing until they maybe win some of what they wanted.

We’re not asking you to even win, we’re asking you to fight, and the reasons you won’t even fight sound like someone with no fight left in them desperately paging through the rule boom to get an excuse to not do their job.

The gently caress am I going to donate or phone bank for such a lazy, incompetent bunch of losers for? What’s the motivation for the base?

selec fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 3, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm pretty unfazed by claims that a president forgiving student loans by executive order and daring the court to strike it down is a slippery slope to...uh...a president with unlimited power to uhhh forgives even more loans???

Even if that's bad for some reason, thanks to the expansion of executive power under Obama the president can be a dictator at any time because he has the unlimited power to assassinate political rivals at will as long as he takes care to say that after secret evidence presented at internal deliberations within the executive branch between officials he personally appointed they were deemed an imminent that to national security, and no one can overrule this decision or even see the evidence or exert any kind of oversight.

The only remedy is impeachment which is (1) impotent as long as he has 34 supporters in the senate, but even if he doesn't (2) drones move faster than congressional deliberations. As long as Democrats support that executive power anything they say about how rescheduling weed is dangerous slippery-slope executive overreach is a crock of poo poo imo.

If they were actually that worried about Trump coming back and being a dictator they'd pass a law rolling back all of Obama and Bush's power grabs but they dooooon't

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 3, 2021

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MooselanderII posted:

The Rule of Law: resuming student loan payments that have been on hold for 22 months for no reason other than pure generational strife and bootstraps.

I assume that ideally, you'd like to see the loans forgiven, but (and this is a serious question. This isn't a gotcha or a rhetorical thing) assuming that doesn't happen, when should the deferments expire? What should the trigger be to restart it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

HonorableTB posted:

read the thread before kramering in with a hot take that biden could just legalize weed with an executive order when the last 2 pages have been about why he can't do that because laws are a thing

What prevents Biden from pardoning all victims of the war on drugs, today?