Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Ron Swanson: Woman of the Year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/guy_freire/status/1455700914359123969?s=20

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 3, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Out:

In:

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Māori for bird is "manu" and include bats -

----
1. (noun) bird - any winged creature including bats, cicadas, butterflies, etc.

Ki te kore he kai, kua riro mā tētahi o ngā tohunga e karakia, kua rere mai he kai ki runga ki te waka. He ika, he manu me ētahi atu tūmomo kai mata (HP 1991:9). / If there was no food, one of the tohunga would say a ritual chant and food would fly onto the vessel - fish, birds and other types of raw food.
----

So, a bat is a bird.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
In old English a deer was any small animal, therefore bats are deer

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Any fruit was an apple, any animal was a deer, and any crop you get out of the ground was corn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then the potatoes came...

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Any fruit was an apple, any animal was a deer, and any crop you get out of the ground was corn.

In Dutch and German, the local variant of deer is still all animals.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Orange Devil posted:

In Dutch and German, the local variant of deer is still all animals.

Beat me to it. Also, it definitely doesn't apply to most things but there is something to comparing new things to apples. Potatoes in Dutch are aardappels aka "Earth [Ground] Apples".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
sinaasappels :china:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
In German, every animal is a deer, but most deer are actually pigs.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 4, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MeinPanzer posted:

In German, every animal is a deer, but most deer are actually pigs.

Just love this for how cute the drat animals are

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In latin the word for evil and apple are the same (malus) and an apple was any fruit so, the whole story about the tree and adam and eve is pretty confusing.

I think there are also similar complications in ancient Hebrew. Like, pretty sure serpent isn't necessarily a snake.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Murgos posted:

In latin the word for evil and apple are the same (malus) and an apple was any fruit so, the whole story about the tree and adam and eve is pretty confusing.

I think there are also similar complications in ancient Hebrew. Like, pretty sure serpent isn't necessarily a snake.

"Serpent" originally could apply to any creeping animal really.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

all serpents are deer

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Beresheit also doesn't say anything about the snake being Satan. It's just a tricksy fucker that goes up to Chava and convinces her to eat the unspecified fruit.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

all serpents are deer

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

Potatoes in Dutch are aardappels aka "Earth [Ground] Apples".

French for potato is pomme de terre, which also translates to ground apple. Of course, English has pineapple, but at least that's a fruit.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Only if this competition was being run in england, but its not. It's being run in NZ.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Action Jacktion posted:

French for potato is pomme de terre, which also translates to ground apple. Of course, English has pineapple, but at least that's a fruit.

Chicken of the Dirt

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

klen dool posted:

Only if this competition was being run in england, but its not. It's being run in NZ.

In Welsh the word for England and New Zealand is the same, therefore this stands.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/RampCapitalLLC/status/1456621120753479691?s=20

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The thread is good because someone looked and saw that turkey prices are only up 0.16 per pound and that graphic is trash

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 5, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I thought it was Fox that posted it, but it was CNN :laffo:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Well both OAN and CNN are owned by AT&T. Apparently they are super surprised :rolleyes: about this and even did an article lol

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/06/media/att-oan/index.html

Original report:

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-oneamerica-att/

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Murgos posted:

I think the bible's slow voyage to English via Hebrew, ancient Greek, and Latin has seen a load of symbolism shorn from the text. The name of st Peter for example, has no second meaning in English. Jump across into the romance languages and it also means rock, so "I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church" has a lot more going on.

Pet theory is that this loss of symbolism means sects of Christianity built on later translations of the bible tend to adopt more factual interpretations of the text. "No- the world was built in exactly seven days and here is a bill of quants, method statement and construction programme we produced to show it's possible" sort of thing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I can literally find a turkey for less than the 2020 price at my local supermarket and I live in the wasteland of CommieFornia, Los Angeles

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Endjinneer posted:

I think the bible's slow voyage to English via Hebrew, ancient Greek, and Latin has seen a load of symbolism shorn from the text. The name of st Peter for example, has no second meaning in English. Jump across into the romance languages and it also means rock, so "I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church" has a lot more going on.

Pet theory is that this loss of symbolism means sects of Christianity built on later translations of the bible tend to adopt more factual interpretations of the text. "No- the world was built in exactly seven days and here is a bill of quants, method statement and construction programme we produced to show it's possible" sort of thing.

Most of the christian apostles have separate hebrew or aramaic names. Peter is Shimon, Matthew is Levi, Paul is Saul. That they took new greek and latin names is kinda lost in translations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Endjinneer posted:

Jesus: He loved mankind, but he really loved puns.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for this. It reminded me to order my Turkey. Seems like the same price as last year though.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most of the christian apostles have separate hebrew or aramaic names. Peter is Shimon, Matthew is Levi, Paul is Saul. That they took new greek and latin names is kinda lost in translations.

"You will be the Paul upon which my church is built"

(TRANSLATOR'S NOTE: 'PAUL' MEANS ROCK)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jaxyon posted:

I can literally find a turkey for less than the 2020 price at my local supermarket and I live in the wasteland of CommieFornia, Los Angeles

Those prices are for the only turkey vendor sanctioned by Donald Trump, Mike Lindell's FrankTurkey. Additional 20% gratuity is added to the check for keeping America free, through turkey mongering.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/Ixl1pyz.mp4

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I don’t like being told what to do is a fine position except where the else part is “or death” and you decide to go with “or death” and now everyone who isn’t an rear end in a top hat has to perform heroics to keep you alive at the expense of people who legitimately couldn’t avoid it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1457195169195900929

They hired the "We love weird al, don't we folks" guy for SNL, obviously for his Trump impression, and I was worried they'd gently caress it up but seems like they're letting be him fundamentally weird like he was on the internet. This is so much better than Baldwin's, and not just because it's way closer caricature. The material is hilarious and this guy just nails the weird egocentric stream of consciousness verbal diarrhea the big boy does when he's on a roll at a rally.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I appreciate that this guy also apparently can’t decide that maybe he should get the vaccine because it’s good for him. It’s just reflexive doing the opposite of what people are telling you to do no matter what.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I appreciate that this guy also apparently can’t decide that maybe he should get the vaccine because it’s good for him. It’s just reflexive doing the opposite of what people are telling you to do no matter what.

I guess no one told him not to die 8 days after this was recorded because that's what he did.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Scratch Monkey posted:

I guess no one told him not to die 8 days after this was recorded because that's what he did.

His freedoms were maintained that's what's important

Iogd bless

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1457195169195900929

They hired the "We love weird al, don't we folks" guy for SNL, obviously for his Trump impression, and I was worried they'd gently caress it up but seems like they're letting be him fundamentally weird like he was on the internet. This is so much better than Baldwin's, and not just because it's way closer caricature. The material is hilarious and this guy just nails the weird egocentric stream of consciousness verbal diarrhea the big boy does when he's on a roll at a rally.

I think Cecily's Jeanine is my favorite impression right now.

The guy does an incredible Trump but...maybe they should stop doing him in the cold opens. Please.

Lol talking about a dead gay tv show on these dead gay forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Just amazing that a guy has impressed Lorne enough to be in every cold open this season as a rookie, and that was his first time doing trump. Good to see someone who specializes in impersonations on SNL again.

I know snl sucks but I watch it for sentimental reasons