Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

re the federal stuff about 'why don't they pardon people with weed convictions' and the answer is that they largely have. there have been drat few federal prosecutions of non-organized crime level weed cases for at least a decade now and there have been several waves already of identifying people in federal custody for non-violent weed-related offenses for early release. Presumably some still exist, but by and large the huge, massive carceral problem wrt non-violent drug crimes is state level.

tldr: federal prisoners locked up for drugs (both violent/non-violent) account for 2% of american prisoners

500 grams of lsd is an astronomical amount of lsd. like 5,000,000 doses :stare:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

99% of them were convicted on state crimes.

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_offenses.jsp

46.1% of the federal prison population are there on drug crimes. I know that Herstory is correct re: federal weed prosecutions, and the number of people in state prisons for drug offenses is at least twice this, but it is still very significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Epicurius posted:

I assume that ideally, you'd like to see the loans forgiven, but (and this is a serious question. This isn't a gotcha or a rhetorical thing) assuming that doesn't happen, when should the deferments expire? What should the trigger be to restart it?

There shouldn't be a trigger. Only the whims of an elected shithead republican president should be reasonably expected to do so, and not a democratic one who is hailed as the next FDR and who runs on the most progressive platform ever.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Jay Jacobs was too busy making sure India Walton wouldn't be mayor of buffalo to worry himself about some ballot initiatives, perfectly understandable

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

TulliusCicero posted:

...I can't believe I'm loving saying this, but I'm actually going to give Trump something resembling a compliment:

The loving demented motherfucker was Evil but he loving tried. He fought to get his sick gently caress agenda passed. He actually got parts of it codified, even if temporary. He was aggressive as President, and it loving worked

The Dems are on a ruddlerless ship being steered by Capitalist Mr. Magoo, they could have passed this loving poo poo in September to massive applause, but they let complete loving morons and stooges like Manchin and Sinema hold everything up. And where the gently caress are the Executive Orders? Motherfucker you could wipe out student debt and legalize weed in a day, and be the most popular President in a 100 loving years.

The infighting between the moderate and left-wing of the Democratic Party I think is leaving a sour taste in some people's mouths. They're playing games of brinksmanship over bills they've promised.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I love the surprise from democrats sabotaging themselves out if elections then coming up with the what happened. It's always: well we just need to keep squeezing the left and we will win elections!!!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

The infighting between the moderate and left-wing of the Democratic Party I think is leaving a sour taste in some people's mouths. They're playing games of brinksmanship over bills they've promised.

The Progressives haven't budged and have been on the side of both leadership and the White House the entire time. This months long media hell circus is entirely, 100% on the moderates and their refusal to lay anything out or do anything but pout.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Verus posted:

What prevents Biden from pardoning all victims of the war on drugs, today?
his deeply seated belief that they're bad people who deserve to be in prison

above and beyond that biden is old and from the former political era where you had something called "political capital" and you saved and saved that capital for something you really really want. if i had to put money down i'd say it's a mixture of not caring and not wanting to "spend" the "political capital" so he can "save" it to push...*checks notes*

*turns page*

*turns page*

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

This reads like someone who got so mad at Dems they started ingesting rightwing propaganda.

Trump was the laziest president in decades. He didn't fight for very much at all. He just made noise.

His handlers got him to appoint awful people, which he did because he didn't give a gently caress about anything. They aggressively tried to tear everything down because they didn't care about legal consequences because they are fascists who own the courts.

The only thing notable legislation passed during his presidency by the GOP alone was tax cuts which his base loving hated and were bog standards GOP policy from before he ever ran.

My dude, how many Executive Orders did Trump sign? In like his first hundred days? They took a shot at Healthcare as soon as they got Congress.

I have never in my life "ingested Right Wing propaganda", I can observe "gee this guy I hate did lost of things very quickly, handlers or no, this guy I'm supposed to like hasn't done poo poo since August really". I can use my eyes and my brain to come to my own conclusions.

The lethargy from the Liches in Congress and this Administration is actively hurting people, and for a guy who wants to be the next FDR, he certainly ain't living up to it, even when one of the biggest labor culture shifts in the history of this country giftwrapped for him.

My god do you think I actually like Trump at all? I think it would be hard for you to find someone that personally viscerally hates that abomination of a human being more than I do, for very personal reasons.

I'm saying handlers or no, one administration flailed at least somewhat effectively in steering the ship towards Skull Island, albeit through throwing people overboard and having the captain continuously shoot cannon holes into the hull, one Administration is letting Dumb and Dumber run the ship onto the rocks, while suggesting the ship's sails and rudder should really be means tested before they are used.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 4, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Epic High Five posted:

The Progressives haven't budged and have been on the side of both leadership and the White House the entire time. This months long media hell circus is entirely, 100% on the moderates and their refusal to lay anything out or do anything but pout.
Yes and the Progressives have just been sticking to what the White House has wanted anyway

It's Sinema, Manchin, and a couple of others who have made this into a giant circus

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Epic High Five posted:

very true but i think Dragon has a point that people are loving tired and just want the dems to pass poo poo. the current bill isnt exactly what i wanted but the people i talk for work would benefit greatly from alot of stuff in the reconciliation bill thats Still in the bill and was in the final. alot of stuff i see does blame Manchin and sienam for this poo poo too though.

a thing i noticed. alot of the school boards were not overturned or chudified in the big turn out states. outside lowish turnout state races like PA. PA was judciarry. the GOP ended up winning all three(sucks but not PA Sc just goes back to 5 dem 2 conservative(rep replaced rep) but here it was mostly a Chud turn out because people didnt care about the races. in the higher turn out races, most of the school boards are still ok, which makes me the crossover vote is more mad about school closings and covid poo poo then CRT poo poo. i'll have to read more and this is just stuff i am noticing.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Edmund Lava posted:

Absolutely loving baffling how useless these cretins are.

It’s harder for me to believe they’re dumb than they just oppose those measures. They didn’t want them to pass, and lo and behold they didn’t pass. If they’d wanted them to passed they’d have been any kind of proactive about it.

They’re not useless! They’re very useful to the people they actually serve, which by and large is not the people who give them the great majority of the votes they get.

They are doing their job just perfectly. It’s just that you’re not their boss.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Fister Roboto posted:

I've already said this, but the rule of law should not be something our politicians hide behind to justify their inaction, which is what Biden is doing. Writing an executive order that the courts will challenge isn't some gross breach of liberal democracy that will inexorably lead to absolute tyranny. This is a stupid argument that sounds more and more like an excuse the more I hear it.

He should issue executive orders and force the courts to challenge them. Make the American people see that they're the problem, not him. To do otherwise is indolence, not wisdom.

Thank you for putting into words better than what I could ever have hoped to write. It's absolutely this. Leftists aren't (well most) saying "what even are laws lol" and advocating to just act purely by fiat. We want Biden and the Democrats to at least pretend like they're trying. Throwing your hands up in the air and saying "nothing we could do" over and over and over again is not a winning strategy. Throw a bunch of spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks. No, you aren't going to get everything, but hell you might get some real and good things through.

What do you think would happen if Biden announced he was canceling ALL student loans, people got their notifications, their balances were zeroed out, payments canceled, etc. and then 6 months or a year later some unelected judge tried to reinstate all that debt? Sounds like a loving rallying cry for the election to me.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah those ballot measures would destroy tactics machine Democrats in New York use to exert control over who wins primaries, why on earth would they want any of that to pass.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

very true but i think Dragon has a point that people are loving tired and just want the dems to pass poo poo. the current bill isnt exactly what i wanted but the people i talk for work would benefit greatly from alot of stuff in the reconciliation bill thats Still in the bill and was in the final. alot of stuff i see does blame Manchin and sienam for this poo poo too though.

a thing i noticed. alot of the school boards were not overturned or chudified in the big turn out states. outside lowish turnout state races like PA. PA was judciarry. the GOP ended up winning all three(sucks but not PA Sc just goes back to 5 dem 2 conservative(rep replaced rep) but here it was mostly a Chud turn out because people didnt care about the races. in the higher turn out races, most of the school boards are still ok, which makes me the crossover vote is more mad about school closings and covid poo poo then CRT poo poo. i'll have to read more and this is just stuff i am noticing.

I mean even then, it's not the Progressives stopping anything at all from passing, it's the moderates. They refuse to explain anything or propose anything, they wanna play royal court and be doted upon and fed peeled grapes, everybody just goes along with it as the natural order of things because they know they can just blame the left in the end, and well this is the end result of tolerating that sort of thing. This notion that "well surely both sides must be at fault" is a complete dead end because if you wanna blame the CPC you've also gotta blame Biden and Pelosi and Schumer, but for some reason nobody seems to be.

It isn't moderates versus the left, it's moderates versus everybody else, some dipshit holding court from his houseboat and the least accessible Senator in the entire chamber going on overseas fundraising trips between country club fundraising events. They wanted it to drag out and they got it, if the national level stuff had any effect on any of these races the blame is firmly, square, and entirely on them

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

Biden says marijuana may be a ‘gateway drug.' Like most of his generation, he’s not ready to legalize it.

But we're just supposed to pretend we didn't hear that I guess, and believe the reason he hasn't done anything to legalize it is because he really really wants to but he respects the Rules Wizard too much
Yeah, I think both these things are true:

1. It would be very difficult for Biden to Legalize It without Congress
2. He never would in a million years, even if he could

Biden just flat-out sucks on weed. No sugar coating it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_offenses.jsp

46.1% of the federal prison population are there on drug crimes. I know that Herstory is correct re: federal weed prosecutions, and the number of people in state prisons for drug offenses is at least twice this, but it is still very significant.

99.5% of the federal prison population with drug charges are there for trafficking or in conjunction with other offenses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ijuana-charges/

99.7% of the people who are incarcerated for possession or mandatory minimums are in state or local jails.

There were only 92 people who were convicted of any marijuana possession charges at the federal level in 2017 out of 2.3 million drug arrests.

https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/research-and-publications/annual-reports-and-sourcebooks/2017/Table33.pdf

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 4, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Epic High Five posted:

I mean even then, it's not the Progressives stopping anything at all from passing, it's the moderates. They refuse to explain anything or propose anything, they wanna play royal court and be doted upon and fed peeled grapes, everybody just goes along with it as the natural order of things because they know they can just blame the left in the end, and well this is the end result of tolerating that sort of thing. This notion that "well surely both sides must be at fault" is a complete dead end because if you wanna blame the CPC you've also gotta blame Biden and Pelosi and Schumer, but for some reason nobody seems to be.

It isn't moderates versus the left, it's moderates versus everybody else, some dipshit holding court from his houseboat and the least accessible Senator in the entire chamber going on overseas fundraising trips between country club fundraising events. They wanted it to drag out and they got it, if the national level stuff had any effect on any of these races the blame is firmly, square, and entirely on them

i am not disagreeing with you on that. i am just saying people are just tired of the poo poo circus, there are people blaming them just as much as we are. most of my post was talking about some patterns i saw.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

selec posted:

It’s harder for me to believe they’re dumb than they just oppose those measures. They didn’t want them to pass, and lo and behold they didn’t pass. If they’d wanted them to passed they’d have been any kind of proactive about it.

They’re not useless! They’re very useful to the people they actually serve, which by and large is not the people who give them the great majority of the votes they get.

They are doing their job just perfectly. It’s just that you’re not their boss.

Yeah.

I got an email from the astroturf group opposed to health/pharma reform today crowing about what a success they've had with the Dems' reconciliation bill. They were opposed to a public option, lowering Medicare age, and meaningful pharma reform so why shouldn't they congratulate themselves on a job well done & money well spent?

Dems are fighting harder for restoring the tax deduction for richie homeowners than they have fought for a $15/minimum wage, housing aid for the poor & unhoused, immigration reform, or anything else that doesn't call for corporate welfare/subsidies and benefitting the already rich by helping them become even more rich.

They're not dumb; they're bought & sold.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah those ballot measures would destroy tactics machine Democrats in New York use to exert control over who wins primaries, why on earth would they want any of that to pass.

Not really. Gaining control of the Gerrymandering process would only help them, and the voting measures have been in place as emergency measures for two elections.

The problem is to the part machine is so corrupt as has been so for so long that you end up like people like him and Crowley is positions of power who are incapable of putting on pants without chocking themselves.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Willa Rogers posted:

They're not dumb; they're bought & sold.

Let's not be reductive now; many of them are also dumb.

Edmund Lava posted:

Not really. Gaining control of the Gerrymandering process would only help them, and the voting measures have been in place as emergency measures for two elections.

The problem is to the part machine is so corrupt as has been so for so long that you end up like people like him and Crowley is positions of power who are incapable of putting on pants without chocking themselves.

I wonder if that's the whole story, honestly. I think part of it is that they don't want to give up their stranglehold, but another part is that there are enough actually progressive people in New York that they could honestly threaten to get power and actually use it to stop giving all the money to rich people. That, and, by having it on the ballot and not supporting it, they can point to it in the future and be all, "oh we tried, but y'all didn't want any of these measures. You voted them down so we're not going to bother fielding any questions about accessibility in the future."

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Biden's administration just lacks energy. To the extent that they take action to do anything, it's often too little too late (see covid) and I'm sure there are things they could be doing to make the current shipping crisis less severe. The reality is prices are going up across the board, but the administration's actions have basically been to say "Actually, things are great!" Meanwhile, federal student loan payments are resuming in the midst of this for no real reason other than because of some weird Calvinistic ideology. You think last night results were bad? Get a load of how bad they'll be in a year from now where the current shipping crisis has compounded and increased consumer prices even further while the younger professional class has to resume paying federal student loans just because.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

99.5% of the federal prison population with drug charges are there for trafficking or in conjunction with other offenses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ijuana-charges/

99.7% of the people who are incarcerated for possession or mandatory minimums are in state or local jails.

There were only 92 people who were convicted of any marijuana possession charges at the federal level in 2017 out of 2.3 million drug arrests.

https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/research-and-publications/annual-reports-and-sourcebooks/2017/Table33.pdf

Okay. The topic wasn't limited to only possession, though, ITD and trafficking are also non-violent drug crimes that plenty of people get booked on (and for anyone else who is not aware, these designations have little to do with intent or behavior but just the weight of drug they're caught with). Prison for possession is more egregiously immoral than "trafficking" but this still needs reform.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Epic High Five posted:

We might have had the infrastructure bill already if it wasn’t for the progressives holding out.

So no, they are far from blameless in this.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

We might have had the infrastructure bill already if it wasn’t for the progressives holding out.

The infrastructure bill sucks poo poo though.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I think everyone wants those things to happen, but I still think the arguments are bad faith because they're rationalizations for why it's ok for Biden not to use the power of the office, not any real principled belief.

So just say they're rationalizing. The only thing I can guess is that you're arguing that they're 'lying to themselves' and that somehow that's a form of bad faith argument, but no. Bad faith refers to a willful deception. To be clear, I can't think of any actual argument against the substance of what you're saying. It does in fact look pretty fuckin bad in terms of Biden actually having any interest in helping people who need help, just based on my limited knowledge of what's going on. It's just the abuse of overused terms that's driving me nuts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The only reason the infrastructure bill exists is that Manchin wanted it as a separate bill before he would consider voting for all of the other stuff he doesn't like

Originally this was all supposed to be one bill

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TulliusCicero posted:

My dude, how many Executive Orders did Trump sign? In like his first hundred days? They took a shot at Healthcare as soon as they got Congress.

I have never in my life "ingested Right Wing propaganda", I can observe "gee this guy I hate did lost of things very quickly, handlers or no, this guy I'm supposed to like hasn't done poo poo since August really". I can use my eyes and my brain to come to my own conclusions.

The lethargy from the Liches in Congress and this Administration is actively hurting people, and for a guy who wants to be the next FDR, he certainly ain't living up to it, even when one of the biggest labor culture shifts in the history of this country giftwrapped for him.

My god do you think I actually like Trump at all? I think it would be hard for you to find someone that personally viscerally hates that abomination of a human being more than I do, for very personal reasons.

I'm saying handlers or no, one administration flailed at least somewhat effectively in steering the ship towards Skull Island, albeit through throwing people overboard and having the captain continuously shoot cannon holes into the hull, one Administration is letting Dumb and Dumber run the ship onto the rocks, while suggesting the ship's sails and rudder should really be means tested before they are used.

Your disappointment in how bad Biden is doesn't make Trump be a fighter or aggressive in his agenda.

Biden is indeed very very bad.

I'm sure you do hate trump. That doesn't mean you're immune from propaganda any more than I am.

Lets do EO's, since you mentioned them. Biden signed more executive orders in his first day in office than Bush, Obama, and Trump combined. He signed more in his first 100 days than any of those 3 did seperately. He reversed more orders in his first 100 days than trump.

This is publicly available info.

Biden sucks but you're also buying into right wing framing and propaganda. Nobody is immune.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Just the fact that we're calling folks like Manchin "moderates" should raise some eyebrows, but that's just part of the media's narrative to paint them as the reasonable ones and the progressives as petulant children.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The reason why prescription drug negotiation has been gutted is due to people like Gottheimer in the House, and Menendez and Carper in the Senate. They're all vociferously bought and paid for by the pharma lobby, and just using Sinema and Manchin as distractions for sabotoging a Dem promise that's been campaigned on since 2006.

The Dem party is incredibly conservative.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Fister Roboto posted:

Just the fact that we're calling folks like Manchin "moderates" should raise some eyebrows, but that's just part of the media's narrative to paint them as the reasonable ones and the progressives as petulant children.

As a matter of practicality, what else would we call him? In the discourse of American politics, Joe Biden is "the left" with what is, kind of "the most progressive platform in US history." We can't really call Manchin a conservative because that word is reserved for republicans. And calling him leather-faced money goblin with a nose like a frog's rear end would simply be unkind.

Conservative democrats, while useless, aren't straight up conservatives. Well, I mean, they are, but if we called them "conservatives" without the context of whatever we'd have to change the name of republicans to I feel like it'd just confuse the issue.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Pamela Springstein posted:

The president has sole pardon power and this has been unchallenged for decades

Yea, so?

Presidents and other politicians have made pardons that have turned into massive political scandals that have cost them entire careers. I'm already imagining Fox News Headlines "Biden pardons tens of thousands of lazy dopers. Hide your kids!".

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Oh, and while the Obamacare repeal in 2017 flubbed, the big tax cut that was the only major legislation of that year didn't pass until December.

If you want to say Biden could be doing things he isn't and that there are many good executive actions he can legally issue but has not, I'm all ears. This does not change the fact that, like many, you probably just heard more noise about what Trump was doing. Whether that's due to media, personal circles, or just how negative changes can feel sudden while positive ones drag.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Booourns posted:

https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1455716232007757825/photo/2
At the very least, next time the democratic party should not run ads for their opponent lol

I'm actually stunned by how stupid this is.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Killer robot posted:

Oh, and while the Obamacare repeal in 2017 flubbed, the big tax cut that was the only major legislation of that year didn't pass until December.

If you want to say Biden could be doing things he isn't and that there are many good executive actions he can legally issue but has not, I'm all ears. This does not change the fact that, like many, you probably just heard more noise about what Trump was doing. Whether that's due to media, personal circles, or just how negative changes can feel sudden while positive ones drag.

He could keep federal student loans on pause, for starter's.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Killer robot posted:

Yep.

And again, Biden sucks, I'm not defending Biden.

But if you ever have convinced yourself that one of the laziest men in history, Trump, was a fighter, you should probably unplug for a bit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So it wouldn't even take him that long to pardon those unjustly imprisoned people, he just doesn't wanna?

E:

Flying-PCP posted:

So just say they're rationalizing. The only thing I can guess is that you're arguing that they're 'lying to themselves' and that somehow that's a form of bad faith argument, but no. Bad faith refers to a willful deception. To be clear, I can't think of any actual argument against the substance of what you're saying. It does in fact look pretty fuckin bad in terms of Biden actually having any interest in helping people who need help, just based on my limited knowledge of what's going on. It's just the abuse of overused terms that's driving me nuts.

fair enough

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Flying-PCP posted:

This also gets me Nerd-Mad About Terms.
When you think "they can't possibly be so dumb that they actually think their opinion is correct and/or good!" you have to just reassure yourself that it is indeed possible for them to be that dumb.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
edit: wrong thread

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

Yep.

And again, Biden sucks, I'm not defending Biden.

But if you ever have convinced yourself that one of the laziest men in history, Trump, was a fighter, you should probably unplug for a bit.

This... is a fair point. I have had a very rough week personally, so I am probably not seeing things accurately atm

I do need to stop posting in politics atm. Getting angry for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

MooselanderII posted:

He could keep federal student loans on pause, for starter's.

Yeah, no disputing this.