Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's fantasy Montreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What does Kim say when you're all "we speak Revacholian around these parts"?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Revachol is a cultural mix resembling post-Cold War Eastern Europe (IE, where the devs are), France, and the United States in various ways culturally and historically. Hard to say what language they're 'meant' to be speaking, though it probably is ambiguous on purpose.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
Finally beat the game as my 2/2/6/2 incredibly apologetic force of nature cop. I managed to quit drinking and never took any drugs but apparently the 4 cigarettes I smoked throughout the game were enough for Kim to describe me as a constant smoker. I didn't even reach an average of one per day, that's less than he does!!! Highlights of my playthrough were succeeding a 28% roll to convince Ruby not to kill herself and +2 : Kim *truly* trusts you :unsmith:

Absolutely loved the game but my experience was slightly soured by the poor quality of the switch port. The game crashed on me on three separate occassions and the load times were absolutely abysmal, it would take up to 3 minutes to get from outside the Whirling to the balcony on the top floor. For some reason I also assumed the game was on a 3 day time limit (and then a 4 day one when I hit day 4...), so I ended up missing out on a lot of content I didn't need to. As soon as a new patch drops I want to do at least one more playthrough, probably one for each ideology with a completionist as possible communist one being the last. My halfhearted attempt to roleplay a consistent character had me end up as the world's lamest communist, I had almost as much points in moralism as I did communism and I didn't even finish the vision quest because I didn't think I had enough time.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Xander77 posted:

What does Kim say when you're all "we speak Revacholian around these parts"?

Something to the effect of Revacholian isn't a real language but I don't remember what he says the actual language of Revachol is.

e: pulled up an old save to grab this screenshot

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 19, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I remember when I was talking to Gorący Kubek for the first time and did a major double-take because Gorący Kubek is a Polish brand of instant soup. And then I failed the encyclopedia check and called him "Mr Gorący Kubek" after he offered me a cup. Such a little joke but it brought me so much joy

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
just started playing after the sale and i gotta say:

i can barely do a day before feeling satisfied with what ive done. only in day 2 so halfway tempted to just restart with a Half Light and Inland Empire run to see how it goes.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Revachol is a cultural mix resembling post-Cold War Eastern Europe (IE, where the devs are), France, and the United States in various ways culturally and historically. Hard to say what language they're 'meant' to be speaking, though it probably is ambiguous on purpose.

The dying coastal towns and racist lorry drivers always reminded me of England, but they might just be more common than I first thought.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Vagabong posted:

The dying coastal towns and racist lorry drivers always reminded me of England, but they might just be more common than I first thought.

dying coastal towns and racist lorry drivers are a ubiquitous, international occurance, i'm afraid

as for the inspirations - imo, Disco Elysium has a powerful, unmistakably Baltic vibe above all else. which is super obvious, all things considered :v: but if you ever find yourself on the Baltic coast in winter (preferably around some decrepit Soviet-built resort town), you might find it *very* familiar

this artwork has that kind of vibe in spades, btw (it's not DE, but iirc it's got something to do with that book set in the same universe)

nurmie fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 21, 2021

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

OMFG FURRY posted:

just started playing after the sale and i gotta say:

i can barely do a day before feeling satisfied with what ive done. only in day 2 so halfway tempted to just restart with a Half Light and Inland Empire run to see how it goes.

I would tell you it's worth it to stick with it but.... Half-Light and Inland Empire have really, really good banter at super high-levels, it's worth it to go all-in with those.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah my first run was heavy on Inland Empire / Esprit de Corps / Shivers and I feel like I accidentally found the best build in the game for me. Maybe not that impressive as I just picked skills that sounded interesting to me and further boosted the ones that said interesting things.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I've been doing a high PHYS play and trying to be a racist piece of fascist traditionalist poo poo is hard. I don't wanna disappoint Kim.

It is loving funny to yell welcome to Revachol when hitting things though.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Deckit posted:

I've been doing a high PHYS play and trying to be a racist piece of fascist traditionalist poo poo is hard. I don't wanna disappoint Kim.

It is loving funny to yell welcome to Revachol when hitting things though.

Ow! I heart my hand and my heart!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Party Boat posted:

Yeah my first run was heavy on Inland Empire / Esprit de Corps / Shivers and I feel like I accidentally found the best build in the game for me. Maybe not that impressive as I just picked skills that sounded interesting to me and further boosted the ones that said interesting things.

This is similar to my first playthrough though I also boosted electrochemistry a lot at first, before I realized it mostly drives Harry to be a terrible person. :(

Drama is the most underrated skill IMO. The "sire!" stuff is very fun, and it has the most ridiculous suggestions.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Randallteal posted:

This is similar to my first playthrough though I also boosted electrochemistry a lot at first, before I realized it mostly drives Harry to be a terrible person. :(

Drama is the most underrated skill IMO. The "sire!" stuff is very fun, and it has the most ridiculous suggestions.

Are you saying this makes Harry a terrible person?

And/or this? (with help from your necktie!)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Don’t put any points into Volition, it may raise your morale bar but it doesn’t want you to have any fun.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

pedro0930 posted:

What's with the language of Revachol? Is it canonically "French" but the game is mostly in English for the benefit of the player? Is it some kind of Creole language?

Revachol's colonizers were the not-France of Elysium. However, as Revachol progressed to become the center of the world, it became a cosmopolitan city, hence the many different accents

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Kim may be willing to take a bullet for you, but I guess even he has his limits:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

PageMaster posted:

Kim may be willing to take a bullet for you, but I guess even he has his limits:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I tried getting into DE several times since it came out but it just didn't click with me. Tried again now that it's fully voice and hoo baby, now it's constantly in the back of my head.

Game good. Really good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yeah I just adore the voice acting and coming back to the game after the inclusion of the narrator just adds so much depth. There are a few other voice actor changes which people have varying opinions about but broadly it's just one of the most enjoyably acted games.

The games systems are just the icing on top of that if they took the same skills/thoughts system and put it in a totally different setting with the same level of voice-acting/dialogue they'd be on to a winner

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Coming back to the Whirling after a long day of scaling the harbour, investigating abandoned buildings, and getting made fun of by my colleagues. The music feels as empty as my heart. Why even bother anymore.

Then I find Garte waiting for me. Up at 2 AM, always with a smile on his face. He makes it all worthwhile.

Sorry about your girl riding the cock carousel.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Something about the style of this reminded me of Disco Elysium

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Cock carousel

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Harry are you okay?

game done, i was real sad i failed a 70something % roll to save Kim, but my failure was soon redeemed when i learned that the result was that Cuno replaces him as your partner to finish out the investigation

the coalition rejected me as a druggie when i told them communism killed the dude, but to be fair, i did choose electrochemistry as my special stat

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Alright I took the thread advice and grew out the chops, then recruited my wife as Kim Kitsuragi.

How did we do?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Good work, detective.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Nailed it bratan

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Never gently caress With Kim Kitsuragi

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Well done sire

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This is adorable

https://twitter.com/discoelysium/status/1455867461547462664

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
An admirable Halloween from the both of you.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

A couple days late but I thought about this costume a whole drat year before I got to do it. As an immigrant, a binoclard, and a perennially-patient man with a small notebook, I cannot tell you how important the character of Kim is to me.

"Every school of thought and government has failed in this city, but I love it nonetheless. It belongs to me as much as it belongs to you."

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So I just beat the game, absolute banger, even though the ending was a bit oddly paced. Played a kind of "idiot sevant" who was uncoordinated and frail. Also a massive commie.

I think I mostly have a grasp on what exactly is going on, with one exception.

Specifically, what's the deal with the Pale. I get that its essentially entropy given form; an expanding void that is unknowable and unfathomable and it seperates all the Isolas from one another. My question is how do people get around then? Its obvious that people travel between Isola's fairly regularly. If it has no form or characteristics, how does matter travel through it. Especially given the game is pretty upfront that people that are exposed to the Pale often go insane

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Specifically, what's the deal with the Pale. I get that its essentially entropy given form; an expanding void that is unknowable and unfathomable and it seperates all the Isolas from one another. My question is how do people get around then? Its obvious that people travel between Isola's fairly regularly. If it has no form or characteristics, how does matter travel through it. Especially given the game is pretty upfront that people that are exposed to the Pale often go insane

People and matter can survive in the Pale for a little while. If you know you're on a safe route to another isola, you can cross through without too much lasting harm.

Now, exploring the Pale looking for new isolas, that consists of basically throwing yourself into it at random and hoping you hit dry land before you stop remembering you ever existed.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

People and matter can survive in the Pale for a little while. If you know you're on a safe route to another isola, you can cross through without too much lasting harm.

Now, exploring the Pale looking for new isolas, that consists of basically throwing yourself into it at random and hoping you hit dry land before you stop remembering you ever existed.

Im more confused about the mechanics of it, not the fact that its possible. Like... does your boat just... keep floating? On nothing? if matter doesnt exist how does your boat stay floating, how does it know to keeep floating when it comes out the other side?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC you aim really carefully, chuck an airship through it and hope it comes out in the right spot

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

christmas boots posted:

IIRC you aim really carefully, chuck an airship through it and hope it comes out in the right spot

Sounds horrific!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Regular boats seem to work okay too.

Yeah its clearly one of those things that people dont really understand and most people just sort of accept and deal with on a practical level. Also its a metaphor.

For history?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

The concept of the Pale appears to have a metaphorical depth to it, but you can pretty well just discard all of that and think of it like exploring the world before the modern era. This is basically just describing the age of sail in general.

Edit:

GlyphGryph posted:

Also its a metaphor.

For history?

Well, OK, I guess you don't necessarily need to discard the metaphorical depth, but rather just... interpret the obvious metaphor for what it is