Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObqD7tg5lY

edit:

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 2, 2021

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Samhain was the pagan harvest festival, Halloween is the Christian saints festival which replaced it. Halloween stole a lot of the seasonal trappings but it's not seasonal itself. :ssh:

E: there were LOTS of kids trick-or-treating in my area, looked like whole streets turned out

lol i know about the origins of halloween, its just weird to think about it happening in the spring! its 40-60 Fahrenheit here right now and it just seems crazy to me to have halloween when its sunny and poo poo when its supposed to be like the fall harvest time.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Seasons boggle my mind too.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

soon all seasons will be redundant and we'll just have apocalyptic heat or boulder-sized hailstorms

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Okay I regret asking and enjoy your spring harvest festival

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Well, I guess it's mango season.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Wendigee posted:

lol i know about the origins of halloween, its just weird to think about it happening in the spring! its 40-60 Fahrenheit here right now and it just seems crazy to me to have halloween when its sunny and poo poo when its supposed to be like the fall harvest time.

The weather alternates between nice and hot. Sunny is almost always a given*

* not valid in Melbourne or tropics for wet season.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Nam Taf posted:

Just wait til he learns when we celebrate Christmas.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
People do occasionally celebrate it but it's definitely not huge like it is in the states. I was bedridden with food poisoning or something so I slept through the whole thing.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Thinking back to when that cgi'd countdown at the beginning was the height of technological achievement.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Wendigee posted:

Okay I regret asking and enjoy your spring harvest festival

In northern countries winter is a time when everything is dead and everyone hides inside until the weather becomes tolerable. That also describes the Australian summer. Hth.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The aussie summer is brilliant, warm weather for 6 months, humidity, cold beers at the beach, arvo thunderstorms. Winter is fucken garbage where you spend two months indoors huddled around a heater wearing long trousers and a thick hoodie. Even on the good days where you can wear a tshirt and shorts it starts to get cold at 3 or 4pm. Just awful. Get in the fucken bin winter.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ili posted:

The aussie summer is brilliant, warm weather for 6 months, humidity, cold beers at the beach, arvo thunderstorms. Winter is fucken garbage where you spend two months indoors huddled around a heater wearing long trousers and a thick hoodie. Even on the good days where you can wear a tshirt and shorts it starts to get cold at 3 or 4pm. Just awful. Get in the fucken bin winter.

Counterpoint: you can do things without sweating in winter.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If you can't wear shorts and t-shirt all year round in Australia you need to harden the gently caress up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zeniel posted:

People do occasionally celebrate it but it's definitely not huge like it is in the states. I was bedridden with food poisoning or something so I slept through the whole thing.

There were a LOT of kids in my inner city neighbourhood wandering around in costumes, it's getting bigger every year. The supermarkets decided to buy into it and stock cheap plastic Halloween decorations a few years back and that's pretty much cemented it into the culture now, once the corporations realise they can make a buck out of it then it's here to stay

There'll still be a few fun-haters screeching "It's too American!!! It's un-Australian!!! :argh:" every year but they just look more and more like dickheads as more and more kids end up loving it and looking forwards to it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Good. Should be a national holiday.

Halloween is fun as hell, only sad sack jerks don't like halloween.

If you don't dress up for halloween you deserve it when you're eaten by evil spirits. :colbert:

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Inceltown posted:

If you can't wear shorts and t-shirt all year round in Australia you need to harden the gently caress up.

with that kind of sun exposure you would harden the gently caress up, scab over, and succumb to melanoma.

Unless you're a first nations person who is actually suited to this blighted sunscape.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There'll still be a few fun-haters screeching "It's too American!!! It's un-Australian!!! :argh:" every year but they just look more and more like dickheads as more and more kids end up loving it and looking forwards to it

Ask them what they did last St Patricks day.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Ask them what they did last St Patricks day.

haha jokes on you, is a miserable jerk who doesnt celebrate any holidays.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Capt.Whorebags posted:

with that kind of sun exposure you would harden the gently caress up, scab over, and succumb to melanoma.

Unless you're a first nations person who is actually suited to this blighted sunscape.

Is First Nations the right way to refer to Aboriginals now? I haven't been home in years now but it was Traditional Owner back in early 2010s

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

YOU POSTED GLADIATORS. WAS THAT YOUR PLAN?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Outrail posted:

Is First Nations the right way to refer to Aboriginals now? I haven't been home in years now but it was Traditional Owner back in early 2010s

Not sure. First Nations seems to be a globally recognised term.

Indigenous Australians is in common use, as is Traditional Owners, Custodians.

My understanding is that Aborigine is now considered outdated.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Inceltown posted:

This oval office clearly doesn't live in melbs

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GrandMaster posted:

This oval office clearly doesn't live in melbs

Just send em to Hobart, get sorted out quick there.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Counterpoint: you can do things without sweating in winter.

Being hot and sweaty used to bother me but now I just embrace it and choose not to let the weather be the boss of me

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

EoinCannon posted:

Being hot and sweaty used to bother me but now I just embrace it and choose not to let the weather be the boss of me

I let my sweaty feet and monkey butt be the boss of me

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Humidity sucks

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Cold weather sucks. I would say winter is a curse of satan, but even satan wouldn't be so cruel.

Hot, humid, and by a beach is bliss.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dr_rat posted:

Nice try; these are the works of Hell so not today, Satan! I'll take wrapped up in warm clothes in front of a heater with a mug of hot chocolate on a cold night.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Megabound posted:

Have you considered shelving them?

I consider shelving literally everything I see

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Currently in Jindy, can confirm winter loving sucks

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Nam Taf posted:

Just wait til he learns when we celebrate Christmas.

Wait, Christmas isn't in winter everywhere in the world???? Mind blown

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

I think Halloween getting more popular here is nice tbh. Kids really enjoy it, it's not causing any harm. Bring it on 😊

ili
Jul 26, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Cold weather sucks. I would say winter is a curse of satan, but even satan wouldn't be so cruel.

Ken oath mate.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
RIP Holden 1948-2017

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

~Coxy posted:

RIP Holden 1948-2017

Option 1 - strip joint owner
Option 2 - frequent strip joint client
default option - tradie

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

~Coxy posted:

RIP Holden 1948-2017

OnlySedans is right there though

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If it was only sedans then utes wouldn't be allowed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

~Coxy posted:

If it was only sedans then utes wouldn't be allowed!

What is a ute if not a sedan without any pants?