Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

LGD posted:

I don’t know why fancy would be suddenly be censured after a posting career that was previously uncontroversial and in line with the long term direction of the forum encouraged by moderation staff.

Fancy was flagged as a troll on the first page they posted on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I mean definitely keep posting about them.

Trolls hate being noticed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The posting about posters stage of the USPOL Cycle is my least favorite

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I think I'm starting to understand why McAuliffe's "Trump Bad" campaign may have come off as slightly hypocritical and insincere

Not only did he invest in fascist Nazi-lover Glenn Youngkin's vulture equity group

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1455800491175256068
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1455804728844165120

He was on Orange Hitler's payroll, loved hugging on Cheeto Benito, and toasted to the good intentions of Francisco Mango

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

VitalSigns posted:

I think I'm starting to understand why McAuliffe's "Trump Bad" campaign may have come off as slightly hypocritical and insincere

Not only did he invest in fascist Nazi-lover Glenn Youngkin's vulture equity group

He was on Orange Hitler's payroll, loved hugging on Cheeto Benito, and toasted to the good intentions of Francisco Mango

This seems quite wrong to me. The issue was not that he was too close to Trump.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So what's Lee been up to lately

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sarcastr0 posted:

YMMV but in my opinion if your strategy is attacking someone on an issue like "being too close to Trump" you should probably not be close to Trump yourself if not closer, because only two conclusions follow from that, either (1) you are lying about the threat Trump poses since you're obviously fine with him in private or (2) you are telling the truth about the threat Trump poses and you're fine with it when it benefits you. Neither of these bode well.

Kinda similar to how he couldn't effectively attack Younkgin for being an equity vampire because he was making a quick buck off of the evil poo poo Youngkin was doing too

E:

RBA Starblade posted:

Posting some interesting data about the election
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1455857865818873858
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1455863612128567298
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1455867514601279497

oof

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 4, 2021

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Sarcastr0 posted:

edit: already clarified

I think their point was that voters might have considered McAuliffe inauthentic, and that might have cost him votes. Not necessarily that he was too close to Trump.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Byzantine posted:

The Empire invented the hospital and provided free healthcare for its citizens.

The username/avatar/post combo is :discourse:

True, but, to be fair, its easier to provide all this stuff to your citizens when you're conquering your neighbors, stealing their riches, and enslaving their people.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BigRoman posted:

when you're conquering your neighbors, stealing their riches, and enslaving their people.

So what's the US' excuse for not providing it?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Hes tilling the soil most communistically when he isnt posting about old guns and trains. Pretty sure the dogpile over forcing a RTW vote in protest of it being quietly killed yet again that saw the "left" dogpiling him alongside clintonite ghouls I think completed his transformation to ML

He'll probably lock his account again soon

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SourKraut posted:

We're speedrunning imperial decline. Turns out there's a really interesting sequence break when you just don't ever give your citizens any social benefits.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Oh, sorry, I wasn't defending the U.S.

I just don't think an imperial system is a very good system of government outside of videogames.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

skylined! posted:

More like 50,000. Still a lot.

5 gams = 5,000,000 micrograms. A dose is about 100 micrograms.

they approved 500 grams my dude, not 5 grams

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_offenses.jsp

46.1% of the federal prison population are there on drug crimes. I know that Herstory is correct re: federal weed prosecutions, and the number of people in state prisons for drug offenses is at least twice this, but it is still very significant.

number of people in state prisons for drug offenses is like 20-40 times that, depending on whether you include crimes that came about as a result of addiction or just people who got popped for drugs. In my state, the state prison population is as much as 80+% people in prison for drugs or crimes connected to the hard-drug addiction lifestyle. The official number is lower, but the addict lifestyle leads to incarceration a huge amount of the time that I regularly heard 80-90% from people working with prisoners and former prisoners.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 4, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BigRoman posted:

Oh, sorry, I wasn't defending the U.S.

I just don't think an imperial system is a very good system of government outside of videogames.

Oh I agree with you, it was a poorly-phrased joke on my part. :(

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1455969128280469510

quote:

“I found that given the information they had and the analysis that they did — I understand they reached the wrong conclusion, but ... was it reasonable to conclude what they concluded based on what they had? It was not unreasonable. It just turned out to be incorrect,” Said said.

oh, phew, good to know it was completely reasonable and proper procedure to blow up 10 innocent people including a bunch of kids.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Oh good, they killed them on purpose. That makes it fine.

If I use bad intel to make a call that ends up backfiring at work, there would be consequences. The fact that the call was reasonable based on the intel doesn't mean I shouldn't have determined whether the intel was good in the first place, and it's not like there are even lives on the line.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The important part is that a precedent was not set for blowing up kids being punishable.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Oh good, they killed them on purpose. That makes it fine.

If I use bad intel to make a call that ends up backfiring at work, there would be consequences. The fact that the call was reasonable based on the intel doesn't mean I shouldn't have determined whether the intel was good in the first place, and it's not like there are even lives on the line.

They used good sources. The truth content of those sources was deemed to be irrelevant. You can read more about this in the Media Analysis thread.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Byzantine posted:

The Empire invented the hospital and provided free healthcare for its citizens.

People back then probably had a reasonable chance of dying from little infections if they didn't get professional treatment, and a very high chance if they did.

For example of Roman medicine, birthwort was used as a herb to assist in childbirths because its flower looks like a uterus. Birthwort is also poisonous.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SourKraut posted:

It's not like the US prints the world reserve currency or anything!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Epicurius posted:

I assume that ideally, you'd like to see the loans forgiven, but (and this is a serious question. This isn't a gotcha or a rhetorical thing) assuming that doesn't happen, when should the deferments expire? What should the trigger be to restart it?

The death of Henry Kissinger, he who can never die would be an acceptable trigger event.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
how many democrats and republicans together, would knife Kissinger just to stick it to people who couldn't afford college/grad school out of pocket?

They dared to gain an education in an attempt to move up in class. This cannot be allowed without consequences.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/SteveESpaulding/status/1456228162283741188?t=q68mImW2MjYBUDK1-D7lIA&s=19

+1 for killing the fillibuster for voting rights legislation

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

oh, phew, good to know it was completely reasonable and proper procedure to blow up 10 innocent people including a bunch of kids.

clearly, our underfunded military needs a bump in its annual budget so completely normal no accountability oopsie procedures like this don't happen happen less frequently

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Cranappleberry posted:

but he can do federal so he should, especially because federal time is longer. I'm sure there would be crowing about how it's releasing hardened criminals into our communities but a similar reaction will happen with anything he does.

At the very least he should be doing what he can. gently caress meeting the pope, sit in his office all day signing pardons. Part of the issue is he believes that people in prison for drug crimes deserve to be there.

The status quo that Joe Biden and the dems were supposed to return the US to, is and has always been, terrible. The normality was horrifying but behind a decorous veil. Beyond that, that status quo doesn't really exist anymore. Arguably, it hasn't existed in a long time yet democrats are still fighting to preserve it as if it matters.

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it's pretty ironic someone would argue for Dems using pardon power to support popular sentiment in a conversation about how Terry McAuliffe lost for not materially improving conditions.

Edit: Like, the conversation spun out to some degree, but the argument has been framed as only "Dems bad, vs VBNMW" when there's actually a lot more disagreement about "should Dems focus only on universal policies with a broad base or on doing the 'right thing' even if it is politically unpopular"

The logical conclusion of Terminal Autist's argument about wanting weed in the mail over trans rights is that pardoning the 92 federal weed offenders is good for about 92 votes on the federal level - so it doesn't sound like a very good policy!

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 4, 2021

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

People back then probably had a reasonable chance of dying from little infections if they didn't get professional treatment, and a very high chance if they did.

For example of Roman medicine, birthwort was used as a herb to assist in childbirths because its flower looks like a uterus. Birthwort is also poisonous.

Yes, obviously they were extolling the quality of ancient medical care, and not the fact that an ancient society considered it important that all its citizens receive said care.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Seyser Koze posted:

Yes, obviously they were extolling the quality of ancient medical care, and not the fact that an ancient society considered it important that all its citizens receive said care.
As I recall, it was in service of the point that the Roman Empire was not a democracy, but still managed to have healthcare.

Which doesn't seem responsive to the original question about the utility of rule of law to me, but I'm always down for some classical history.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A big flaming stink posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKp6e3sLpKo

But unironically

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A definite step backwards from Obama. It's a real shame those aid workers got war crimed by a white guy instead of someone that looks more like the victims. Trump must pay for this!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Unfortunately, it isn't Manchin's +1, so it's functionally a zero, since his permission is what's required for anything ever.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1456237510707798018?s=21

says the person blocking everything

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why would Joe Manchin do this? -Joe Manchin

I can't wait for this saga to finally end, only for 2022 to bring Manchin and Sinema holding the replacement of Breyer hostage.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

lol they're gonna do nothing for 2 years and then nuke the filibuster just in time for the GOP midterm takeover

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

VitalSigns posted:

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1455800491175256068
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1455804728844165120

So he got a donation from Trump in 2009... when Trump was a dem? 2009 was also before 2016, which was when Trump became president - I believe when people campaign on being against Trump it's mainly to do with his presidency rather than his life in total, so it doesn't seem to be a huge red flag. And no, I don't think McAuliffe did a good job and I don't want to kiss and cuddle him, I just don't think a 2009 donation matters at all.

Ershalim posted:

As a matter of practicality, what else would we call him? In the discourse of American politics, Joe Biden is "the left" with what is, kind of "the most progressive platform in US history." We can't really call Manchin a conservative because that word is reserved for republicans. And calling him leather-faced money goblin with a nose like a frog's rear end would simply be unkind.

Conservative democrats, while useless, aren't straight up conservatives. Well, I mean, they are, but if we called them "conservatives" without the context of whatever we'd have to change the name of republicans to I feel like it'd just confuse the issue.

They should be called fringe dems or obstructionist dems, something that makes it clear they're not the majority and not taking the mature position.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Conservative democrats are conservatives, hth. Take Rhode Island state Rep Patricia Serpa, an elected Democrat who has consistently voted against abortion rights in Rhode Island despite being an elected Democrat. She is a conservative.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This is an especially good question given that last I checked, the thread had overwhelmingly voted to actually enforce the forum rules and remove the obvious and admitted troll. Guess that was just for lols

The mods decided not to ban them after some funny posts in which at least one said there was no difference between what Fancy Pelosi posted and what was commonly posted here so they must be a pretty weak troll.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ex post facho posted:

clearly, our underfunded military needs a bump in its annual budget so completely normal no accountability oopsie procedures like this don't happen happen less frequently

Killing innocent civilians is literally factored into our wartime planning. Its expected, and rather than avoid it the strategy is merely to limit occurrences where tactically advantageous to do so. It should be the de-facto assumption that when someone mentions Wartime Soldiering, it involves killing lots of innocent people.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lib and let die posted:

Conservative democrats are conservatives, hth. Take Rhode Island state Rep Patricia Serpa, an elected Democrat who has consistently voted against abortion rights in Rhode Island despite being an elected Democrat. She is a conservative.

It's a big tent party. Anti abortion dems are few and far between these days, but they still exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

So he got a donation from Trump in 2009... when Trump was a dem? 2009 was also before 2016, which was when Trump became president - I believe when people campaign on being against Trump it's mainly to do with his presidency rather than his life in total, so it doesn't seem to be a huge red flag. And no, I don't think McAuliffe did a good job and I don't want to kiss and cuddle him, I just don't think a 2009 donation matters at all.

Trump was an openly corrupt businessman who had been making very public racist and sexist comments for decades before 2009, including taking out ads advocating some black kids get executed for a crime they didn't commit. Democrats had other choices for governor: if I were going to center a campaign on "Trump=Hitler" I would simply not pick the guy I'd have to defend with "well trading friendship and support from Hitler was fine before 1925 when he was only saying racist stuff in public and not in a political campaign"

But even if you give him a pass on that how do you explain toasting to Trump in 2017 when everyone was already calling him Cheeto Benito lol. I guess you can't because you just pretended not to notice that inconvenient detail.