Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

That poo poo blew my mind when we played but I’ve never played DnD before so I’m not if that’s how stat gains worked in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I picked it up from one of the old infinity engine games, and its been a rule in D&D for a while

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Now you, too, can become addicted to building the perfect gear setup. Spoilers, you will never be 100% satisfied. Borderlands gear at 21 is the only time I ever feel like everything I want can fit on my gear.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I bought the Saltmarsh expansion and so far nothing has appeared in my inv. I sent a ticket in 24hrs ago but no reply.

When do I contact PayPal to stop the transaction?

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt
I think you actually need to go to the Saltmarsh tavern and claim the expansion-stuff from a dude there. You can get to Saltmarsh from Gatekeepers' Grove.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Jorgos Nuuh posted:

I think you actually need to go to the Saltmarsh tavern and claim the expansion-stuff from a dude there. You can get to Saltmarsh from Gatekeepers' Grove.

Ah cool, I'll give that a go then.

Yep there we go. Thanks for the help, should have come here first!

Burt fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 2, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ran all the night revels stuff for the XP, what should I blow the currency on?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

StashAugustine posted:

Ran all the night revels stuff for the XP, what should I blow the currency on?

The cosmetics are really cool, as are the augments that give a festive stat bonus as they are unique to this event.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

The cosmetics are really cool, as are the augments that give a festive stat bonus as they are unique to this event.

Cosmetics are extremely good.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
U51 Release notes are here and huge: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/527846-Update-51-Release-Notes

GMOF looks pretty cool. I like melees that’s use magic damage but gearing an EK optimally was always impossible. Wonder how it will pan out, too bad hand wraps still suck.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ort posted:

GMOF looks pretty cool. I like melees that’s use magic damage but gearing an EK optimally was always impossible. Wonder how it will pan out, too bad hand wraps still suck.

Honestly, new primal is going to be amazing for builds like that too

Because the traits can proc on melee hit? That seems interesting and the thorn one giving you a ton of temp hp is also very nice. The problem is the same as EK, though. The tree scales off of spell power, not melee power, so it’s harder to combine melee and spell power bonuses in a gearset, feats, etc.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
I was watching strimtom’s stream while he was testing destinies. For EK he took draconic to tier 4 for spellsword dice, damage reduction bypass and energy vortex as his epic strike. Then he took tier 5 dreadnaught to support melee stats, buff action boosts and use legendary rally.

Strimtoms builds are ok but never great for optimized endgame stuff. Although EK did turn out to be top tier single target damage with vkf, but you’re entirely a melee build with focus on melee stats that also happens to slot some spellpower. Maybe builds like strims will help give it more of that caster melee hybrid.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Yea, I think you can get a reasonable amount of spell power with 1 item + the cores on various trees now. You obviously won't have 1000 spell power like a full caster, but you might manage like half that which would be ok as a hybrid.

e: I'd prob doing something like the following:

Wear Legendary Red Dragonscale Armor

Use single weapon fighting with Valorius, the Flameblade or vistani + dagger (something with fire vuln would be really good)

Be a tiefling and take the scorch fire immunity strip + take scorch as a wizard spell. I'd then take like fire primal stuff / draconic /dreadnaught like was suggested above. You could maybe take exalted angel instead and take holy fireball.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 3, 2021

Magus is the ED I’m most interested in, originally I thought the only way to do it was necro wiz but now I’m thinking cold druid might work pretty well, too. It’s a shame ice flowers is a transmutation spell. Having tsunami, iceberg SLA, greater creeping cold, and ice flowers would be a lot of flexibility in cc and aoe/single target damage.

Primal avatar would probably support a druid better and also looks rather fun but I didn’t read great things about it. I stopped playing last time on a druid life at level 12.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ort posted:

Magus is the ED I’m most interested in, originally I thought the only way to do it was necro wiz but now I’m thinking cold druid might work pretty well, too. It’s a shame ice flowers is a transmutation spell. Having tsunami, iceberg SLA, greater creeping cold, and ice flowers would be a lot of flexibility in cc and aoe/single target damage.

Primal avatar would probably support a druid better and also looks rather fun but I didn’t read great things about it. I stopped playing last time on a druid life at level 12.

Most of the primal stuff is pretty good, i'd just avoid thundersnow based on the lamm testing I did.

Also: https://clips.twitch.tv/NimbleSarcasticDonutRickroll-5isjBUS523ZCYXZ0

That is so rad. I want to log in just to see the new animations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

trying to figure what my third destiny is for staff rogue after shadowdancer and legendary dreadnaught (if any); also not really sure if i should go with extra damage or dodge on my shadowdancer epic strike

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

trying to figure what my third destiny is for staff rogue after shadowdancer and legendary dreadnaught (if any); also not really sure if i should go with extra damage or dodge on my shadowdancer epic strike

Fury of the wild maybe? Grandmaster might work too, not sure. I don't remember if you need to be in the fury mantle to use quick/cutter but if not, that ability is super good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

Fury of the wild maybe? Grandmaster might work too, not sure. I don't remember if you need to be in the fury mantle to use quick/cutter but if not, that ability is super good.

It's an epic strike and I'm trying out the shadowdancer strike for now; although I do notice that if I'm in ravenloft gear I don't seem to get a bunch from the shadow mantle- only like 5% movespeed and going from 10/20 incoporeal/conceal to 25/25. Doesnt even give featherfall or turn me into a shadow. Maybe grabbing the fury mantle for healing?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

It's an epic strike and I'm trying out the shadowdancer strike for now; although I do notice that if I'm in ravenloft gear I don't seem to get a bunch from the shadow mantle- only like 5% movespeed and going from 10/20 incoporeal/conceal to 25/25. Doesnt even give featherfall or turn me into a shadow. Maybe grabbing the fury mantle for healing?

Divine crusader with Consecration might actually be pretty good for you too. Keep in mind you need the mantle activated to use the epic strike

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Is there a list somewhere of dungeons/scenarios that arent puzzle-heavy?

I enjoyed the one at the entrance of harbor where you have to defeat a wave of enemies, id like to play more of those. Took a break for a week, came back yesterday and butted my head on a puzzle one in house deneith right away. I usually play late evenings when im tired, i just wanna smash sheet.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Aster0ids posted:

Is there a list somewhere of dungeons/scenarios that arent puzzle-heavy?

I enjoyed the one at the entrance of harbor where you have to defeat a wave of enemies, id like to play more of those. Took a break for a week, came back yesterday and butted my head on a puzzle one in house deneith right away. I usually play late evenings when im tired, i just wanna smash sheet.

I don’t know how viable it is from an xp/minute but you can conceivably get experience from slaying and exploring wilderness zones.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The wiki usually tells you and also should have solutions

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
oh man fatesinger has an ability that gives you no arcane spell failure time to go plate bard I guess

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Ok, so with all the new people coming to the game here lately, I've been meaning to post my list of Important poo poo [tm] to have for leveling.

1) Symbol of the Slave Lords
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Symbol_of_the_Slave_Lords
Add in a lvl 8 heavy fortification blue augment and a Master's Gift Augment
place it in your trinket slot and forget about the slot until 20.

2) Ring of Power
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Ring_of_Power
Add in a Feather Fall topaz
You can replace this with anything else with a yellow slot at 16 (when 10% melee alacrity/30% run speed is available in a yellow augment) but until then it is pretty much the best melee haste item you'll get

3) Quiver of Alacrity
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Quiver_of_Alacrity
Needs to be upgraded with a token also gotten from the abbot raid, but is ML1 and gives you 30% run speed on an otherwise unused slot, 'Nuff said.
You can also emulate this effect with 3 scoundrel past lives, but you cant use any other iconic stance then.

4) Platinum Prayer Beads
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Platinum_Prayer_Beads
Just a solid all around item to cover all your healing needs early on

5) Ethereal Ring
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Ethereal_Ring
This ones new to the list, but its both your ghost touch and melee haste at lvl 3, really can't be beat for the level

6) Cloak of Winter
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Cloak_of_Winter
Procs all the drat time and gives WAY more absorb than it says it does

7) Sapphire Studded Buckles
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Sapphire_Studded_Buckles
Nice low level shield clicky, because champs with bonus damage types and magic missile will gently caress you up, shield will block both/all damages because the missiles wont hit

8) Golden Greaves
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Golden_Greaves
These recently got upgraded, the only important stat you're getting here is the DR 15/-, everything else is gravy
Note: these *ONLY* drop in the heroic version of the quest (ransacked it 6 times on epics with 0 drops, got 4 in 6 runs with 3 characters on heroic)

9) Cloak of Invisibility
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/516606
Fairly easy to get, fills your ghost touch needs earlier than some of the other items, but you also have several other items that do the same thing in Barovia at lvl 10.

10) Crown of Butterflies
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Crown_of_Butterflies
Not 100% sure if the heal amp stacks with other heal amp items (I think it does as most are competence bonus and this is enhancement) but the 10 melee power is pretty sweet plus the defensive proc is nice as well.

I have not included in here the Voice of the Master or Mantle of the Worldshaper, they are useful early on, especially when you wear both, but once you can craft a Master's Gift they become obsolete as there are much better items to fill their slots
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:The_Master%27s_Gift

Crafting/Augments:
Low level crafted weapons with multiple red/purple/orange augment slots, you can craft 2 damage modifiers then augment in 2 more that will match the damage craftable at the augments level, certain named items also have multiple slots, make good use of these as you can buy damage rubies for remnants in the hall of heroes. Stat diamonds now also match craftable/dropped levels of base stat (str/dex/etc) so consider utilizing those heavily to meet any stat needs you may have as well.

Consider crafting a min level 1-min level 3 armor with invulnerability on it, the DR 5/magic is much more useful low end than it looks as things don't tend to have magic weapons until lvl 8-10 quests with a very few exceptions, and it can completely block damage from mobs early on in difficulties as high as reaper.

Player crafting kinda teeters off high end until they revamp it yet again, but it is VERY useful low level, still good for filling in certain missing slots that some drops just can't cover. Also bear in mind that when you disjunct (create a crafting blank) on an item with multiple augment slots it lists a specific min level, you can ignore that, adding in the appropriate level crafting shard will still make the item the shards level. The only absolute minimum level stuff is basically armor based on material type (theres semi-hidden tiers of armor base strength based on what it's made of and an appropriate absolute min level to go along with it)

Augment List:
https://ddowiki.com/page/Augment_Slot

DDO Crafting calculator:
http://ccplanner.byethost14.com/?i=1

Puzzle solver 1:
http://solver.cubicleninja.com/

Dice Pillar puzzle solver, incase you lag/rubberband and gently caress up the puzzles in Smash and Burn:
https://furyflashddo.com/

Hope this helps some of you newer guys. I also have some links to solid old builds I've used that may need some updating but in general still work quite well.

Edit: Forgot to add in some of the handy external apps I've come across.

DDO Character planner app:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/487211-DDO-Character-Planner
Gets updated pretty regularly, lets you test your theory crafted builds to be sure you can fit everything you want in without getting nasty surprises mid-build in game

DDO Tracker:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/516606
App made by a friend on Argonessen, allows you to max out and track your progress/favor/reaper XP, also comes with puzzle solvers for specific quests that are not in the above mentioned solvers (looking at you ridiculous double pentagram wheels in The Price of Freedom).

Perpetual Notion fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 4, 2021

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers is worth mentioning, if not to suggest a dedicated grind for it than to point it out if you're questing in the area. Kind of a gamechanger and nothing to really point out it exists

New epic trees are great. The old system felt really clunky and losing all the traits I wanted to level to two trees I don't care about was clunky and unfun. Lots more options in the new one and it feels more in line with the 1-20 enhancements. I managed to go from having trouble doing at level elites to R1s two levels above me with the new trees

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

yeah i'm really loving the epic changes, both to the destinies and to making mobs less spongy. how are level 30+ quests looking since i think those were less affected?

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
I actually caught the pack code this time around and got the itch to play. Looking forward to trying out caster cleric this time around, even if most people are playing around with the new destinies.
I wouldn't mind an invite for Oscariv

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

oh man fatesinger has an ability that gives you no arcane spell failure time to go plate bard I guess

Well, you don't gain the PRR unless you have the proficiency so you'd actually have more defenses in light armour. I would suggest taking medium armour proficiency as a feat though and wearing that.

Perpetual Notion posted:

Ok, so with all the new people coming to the game here lately, I've been meaning to post my list of Important poo poo [tm] to have for leveling.

Great list, i'll try to find a way to work it into the OP later. Its hard to balance making a readable OP with all the really complicated stuff in this game. Its almost to the point where I need to make a website but ugh goon projects

Robo Reagan posted:

Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers

Just to note, this item only appears in the epic version of the quest, not the heroic version. The drop rate has been confirmed to be 0.2%

StashAugustine posted:

yeah i'm really loving the epic changes, both to the destinies and to making mobs less spongy. how are level 30+ quests looking since i think those were less affected?

Legendary (29+) quests were supposedly not changed at all this update. However, at least on my sorcerer, I annihilated a few sharn quests on r4 solo when I was struggling on r2 before. New draconic is really really strong.

Osci posted:

I actually caught the pack code this time around and got the itch to play. Looking forward to trying out caster cleric this time around, even if most people are playing around with the new destinies.
I wouldn't mind an invite for Oscariv

Awesome! Check your ingame mail!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

almost level 27, think I'm gonna do gianthold and maybe the mines of tethyamar to clean up harper favor, but i'm only on like 1700 commendations and 9 tokens so i guess i'm gonna have to do some grinding at cap?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

almost level 27, think I'm gonna do gianthold and maybe the mines of tethyamar to clean up harper favor, but i'm only on like 1700 commendations and 9 tokens so i guess i'm gonna have to do some grinding at cap?

I'd recommend saving tethyamar until you are level 30, that place blows. Once you hit 30, you get a ton more commendations (in the form of 2 acorn things) per quest completion. For farming tokens - i'd recc doing a epic normal devil assault and posting a lfm that says something like "token farming, piking is fine" and most people will pass you tokens at the end if you just let them join and afk. Just remind people that passing tokens is appreciated. You will prob make 5-6 tokens a run doing this. The other way is just to speed run lords of dust (or bargin of blood when that quest opens again)

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers is worth mentioning, if not to suggest a dedicated grind for it than to point it out if you're questing in the area. Kind of a gamechanger and nothing to really point out it exists

Fair, but that is more of a treasured item that this character may have, like your giant bags for ingredients/collectibles, only instead of purchased the stars aligned and you got one - not so much something you can farm with any reliability.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
fair enough. I ran in to a situation where a guy asked if I had one and like I said I didn't even know it existed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

I'd recommend saving tethyamar until you are level 30, that place blows. Once you hit 30, you get a ton more commendations (in the form of 2 acorn things) per quest completion. For farming tokens - i'd recc doing a epic normal devil assault and posting a lfm that says something like "token farming, piking is fine" and most people will pass you tokens at the end if you just let them join and afk. Just remind people that passing tokens is appreciated. You will prob make 5-6 tokens a run doing this. The other way is just to speed run lords of dust (or bargin of blood when that quest opens again)

Cool thanks, I'd forgotten about the acorns, and good tip on the mines. Seems like a lot of the quests that drop tokens are down for maintenance this patch unfortunately. And out of curiosity what do people get for passing tokens- are they just in it for the XP/favor?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Cool thanks, I'd forgotten about the acorns, and good tip on the mines. Seems like a lot of the quests that drop tokens are down for maintenance this patch unfortunately. And out of curiosity what do people get for passing tokens- are they just in it for the XP/favor?

Usually devil assault will drop 2 tokens/person and people will usually pass you 1 if they afk'ed it. Some people just want the mats/XP.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

If you're going for token runs my favorite is wizking on epic elite, guaranteed 2 full tokens per person per run and with the right setup the quest takes like 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Perpetual Notion posted:

If you're going for token runs my favorite is wizking on epic elite, guaranteed 2 full tokens per person per run and with the right setup the quest takes like 10 minutes.

IMO bargain of blood is better because you can do it in literally 40 seconds and it gives a full token. Unluckily, both quests are disabled at the moment