Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

daslog posted:

The dealer where my wife works sells every new car as MSRP. Buyers don't seem to mind.

Currently that is actually a Very Good Price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone have any Summer tire recommendations for a 2014 WRX? Price isn't a big concern. I live in a mostly dry area that does see significant temperature swings. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
4S has been great for me, but a little spendy. I went with a Potenza S-04 Pole Position this time around and have been very happy with it. It might have the teeniest bit less dry performance but it also has a bunch more wet performance and seems to be quieter as well. I get my tires at Costco so basically it's either Michelin or Bridgestone, whichever has the rebate.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Motronic posted:

Currently that is actually a Very Good Price.

Yeah, things are absurd right now even in the used market. A year and a half ago I bought a 2017 BRZ for $19k CAD cash out the door. My local Subaru dealership has a 2015 listed at $27k CAD after a $1.5k "discount" and a 2019 for $30k CAD. The 2022s are $32k CAD base price.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, things are absurd right now even in the used market. A year and a half ago I bought a 2017 BRZ for $19k CAD cash out the door. My local Subaru dealership has a 2015 listed at $27k CAD after a $1.5k "discount" and a 2019 for $30k CAD. The 2022s are $32k CAD base price.

Yeah. Local dealers who have unreserved BRZs are marking them up by 5k usd. Managed to get mine at MSRP at least.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I consider myself lucky to have paid MSRP for a new STI...lucky to even find one. Glad I have a buddy who works at a multi-brand dealer and gave me a heads up before it was even delivered to them.

Just put on a Q300 w/ catted DP, GS intercooler, boost controller, wideband, and pro-tune. Made 330ish on the dyno, and drives a whole lot better. Q300 is a little louder than I was expecting, but not obnoxious. I'm sure my neighbor doesn't like the first 30 seconds after cold start in the morning. Anyways, seems like a good start over the stock 260-270hp at the wheels.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone have any Summer tire recommendations for a 2014 WRX? Price isn't a big concern. I live in a mostly dry area that does see significant temperature swings. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S?

I have been happy with super sports and sport 4S for street and several track days per year, though they are not recommended for temps below 40F (and they can crack if they get below freezing). They are quiet and their traction limits are far beyond what you could do on the street.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hmm... that's where I'm just not so sure on. I live somewhere that can see 40-50F swings in a day. I know Summer tires are not safe at lower temps in general, but there could be the occasional time that it's parked and the temps get below 40. Is the damage in cold temp while not driving a Summer tire thing, or is that a Sport 4S thing?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have driven 4S in freezing weather plenty without any effects. I'm not going to switch over to winter tires just so I can drive on them when it's 60°F when I get out of work. Mine saw freezing temps maybe one month a year.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. They're in a temperature controlled garage, but I don't want to be in a situation where it's not garaged one night and have it ruin the tires.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The 4s warning is specifically below 20 degrees rather than freezing.

They do get loosey goosey under 50 degrees or so, especially in the wet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

The 4s warning is specifically below 20 degrees rather than freezing.

They do get loosey goosey under 50 degrees or so, especially in the wet.

Loosey goosey to the point where you'd feel unsafe driving on them? Do you have any other suggestions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Internet Explorer posted:

Loosey goosey to the point where you'd feel unsafe driving on them? Do you have any other suggestions?

Keep in mind that I'm driving a BRZ so it's mostly about being able to make the tail step out if I goose the throttle mid turns or have some wheel spin off the line. I haven't had an issue with lateral stability or braking for the most part.

It's pretty par for the course for any summer tire in these temp/moisture ranges. You only get around it by getting an UHP All-Season.

My WRX setup was actually the Pilot Sport A/S 4 for 3 season and then winter tires for actual winter. It was like 95% of the warm weather traction, superior wet traction in all temp conditions, and still held fine in temps down into the teens. They just couldn't really handle clearing snow or slush from the tread.

I'm probably going to get a set of those to complement my 4s on the BRZ so I can keep driving year round as long as it's not sloppy and I totally plan to adopt the WRX setup on my Golf R once the summers on it are done.

There was one year with the WRX that the winters never made it on the car because we simply didn't get significant enough snow. It was just cold which the Pilot Sport A/S 4 handled just fine.

The reality is, a UHP All-Season is really the better choice for most performance car drivers that aren't going to see snow but could see temps close to freezing because you are not going to get close to the limits of a UHP summer on the streets and the UHP A/S is going to have better characteristics under nearly every other circumstance.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 4, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome, thank you for the knowledge dump. That's really what I needed to hear. With trips to the mountains, where conditions can be different even in the Summer, those sound like the route I should go. Much appreciated.

[edit: Just for anyone else's education, the tire shop I have been working with agreed with the above advice.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 4, 2021

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, I run the Pzero AS+ on my Legacy GT, which gives a lot more flexibility when swapping the snows on and off. If we get a freak snowstorm in early Oct or late April, they handle it well enough if I have to get out for anything. I run dedicated summers on the fun car, but I'm considering the PIlot Sport AS4 next time for that, because it'd be nice to drive it in the late fall when it's 25-30° in the morning, but 65° in the afternoon.

FWIW, I've never been left wanting for dry traction with the Pzero ever. I have a coworker who runs the PS4 in the summer and Xi3 in the winter, and he always waits until the few days before it snows to swap them. But he has two wheel sets, so much less complicated.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Ugh. The Forester XT (one of the CVT ones, not the cool ones) has developed an intermittent chirpy squeal that I think is coming from the car's main drawback, the aforementioned CVT. It's like a belt squeal but it sounds like it's coming from farther back than the engine compartment. Thankfully they extended the warranty on the CVT to 100,000 miles, but that still means I have to schedule a visit to the dealership to have them look at it, and they manage to gently caress something up every time I go there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Ugh. The Forester XT (one of the CVT ones, not the cool ones) has developed an intermittent chirpy squeal that I think is coming from the car's main drawback, the aforementioned CVT. It's like a belt squeal but it sounds like it's coming from farther back than the engine compartment. Thankfully they extended the warranty on the CVT to 100,000 miles, but that still means I have to schedule a visit to the dealership to have them look at it, and they manage to gently caress something up every time I go there.

have you considered selling it to carvana?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

have you considered selling it to carvana?

I've considered selling either that or my 2006 Impreza wagon, but there's not really much out there I'd want to replace it with. I'm perfectly happy with the car on a day-to-day basis when it's working fine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

tetrapyloctomy posted:

CVT chain slipping. 8K replacement cost so your warranty was well worth it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My cousin is going through a failed CVT right now. They're on the rear end end of the warranty, but still in it, so Subaru is eating the cost, but replacement window is 3-5 weeks.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

CVT chain slipping. 8K replacement cost so your warranty was well worth it

That's what I was thinking. The CVTs suck so badly that this isn't a third party warranty, Subaru extended it on cars from a few model years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I keep hearing bad things about CVTs as a whole, but is was the only thing that didn't fail in my POS Dodge Caliber.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Idk if we have any 86 people in this thread, but which is the preferred ethanol content sensor plug on the BRZ? Evap or rear o2?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’ve noticed that my 2017 Outback 3.6 makes an arrhythmic ticking/clicking noise from the engine bay when it’s running. It doesn’t follow any regular pattern, so it doesn’t seem like something coming from a piston or belt that moves at a constant rate. You can only hear it from the outside, even when the AC/heater is off. Car runs fine, no errors on an OBD scan.

I’ll try to get a clip of it this afternoon, but any idea what this could be?

Also, has anyone figured out how to disable ABS and other nanny features on this gen of subaru (besides using the TSC off button, which only disables one layer)? That is, without loving up the awd and other essential features. Is there a fuse I can pull? Trying to have some fun on dirt roads/snowy lots, so some temporary dashboard lights shouldn’t matter

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Check youtube for Subaru direct injection cricket noise and compare the sound

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BlackMK4 posted:

Idk if we have any 86 people in this thread, but which is the preferred ethanol content sensor plug on the BRZ? Evap or rear o2?

From my Philly86 discord:
either get the job done honestly but I think the delicious FF kit uses the rear o2 which is the one most people use anyway

which was then seconded in the next comment. So per a couple of guys in Philly, Rear 02 is the way to go.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Perfect, thank you!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

BlackMK4 posted:

Check youtube for Subaru direct injection cricket noise and compare the sound

EZ36 is port injection.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A guy at my local dealership I've been using for years is offering me a 2021 WRX Premium in the Rally Blue for 33 out the door including tax. My 2019 Forester got an offer for just over 37. I'm thinking about doing this because I love the WRX and want a stick again. I can't test drive the car without a deposit until it comes in because they don't even see the lot when they do.

I feel like that price isn't too stupid for an incredibly stupid market. Thoughts?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Wrar posted:

EZ36 is port injection.

That's what I get for not knowing my Subaru motors

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

A guy at my local dealership I've been using for years is offering me a 2021 WRX Premium in the Rally Blue for 33 out the door including tax. My 2019 Forester got an offer for just over 37. I'm thinking about doing this because I love the WRX and want a stick again. I can't test drive the car without a deposit until it comes in because they don't even see the lot when they do.

I feel like that price isn't too stupid for an incredibly stupid market. Thoughts?

Is that MSRP?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
MSRP is 30,050. Used ones in my area are going for more than 33k.

I've never bought a car 3k over MSRP out the door and if offers on my current car weren't up 8k this year I wouldn't consider it now. As it stands now though I'd be getting a brand new 2021 WRX Premium plus about 4k cash in exchange for my 2019 Forester.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You don't have sales tax, title and license and whatever else? Theres no accessories on the WRX that increase its price over that base MSRP?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

You don't have sales tax, title and license and whatever else? Theres no accessories on the WRX that increase its price over that base MSRP?

The 33k from the dealer includes tax, tag and all dealer fees. the 30k MSRP is from Subaru's site and includes nothing. I'm not sure about accessories yet so I'm assuming premium trim plus nothing for the time being.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Personally, I’m not sure if I would pay over sticker for a FA WRX. Not to say it’s a bad car - it’s good, but it will feel outdated compared to newer cars as the platform is really quite old.

The market is straight idiota rn so I can’t fault you for trying to take advantage of it, you’ll be happy I think with the WRX just as long as you set your expectations correctly. Test drive it thoroughly as the rev hang and strange throttle response is something to be comfortable with

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think I'm also getting a little antsy as the 21's dry up because that plastic 22 is :barf:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

The 33k from the dealer includes tax, tag and all dealer fees. the 30k MSRP is from Subaru's site and includes nothing. I'm not sure about accessories yet so I'm assuming premium trim plus nothing for the time being.

That sounds like it might actually be MSRP then?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

That sounds like it might actually be MSRP then?

Kinda close I think? Sorry for being vague, I'm working on getting some kind of window-sticker details sheet sent to me but it's much less than the 35+ out the door I was expecting him to throw at me.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Plus you’ll have four grand to spend on vape juice and a catless down pipe

A 2019 forrester is going for 37k? Jesus i bought a 2017 Outback 3.6 with 40k miles last summer for 25k, which was way too much, but market is what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Head Bee Guy posted:

Plus you’ll have four grand to spend on vape juice and a catless down pipe

I'd spend it on replacing the headlight assembly with the one the limited gets. I don't want the leather seats but I have to have the lights, which are apparently plug and play.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 16, 2021